Samsung expects Galaxy S III sales to reach 10M in July

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's all fun and games until the next iPhone. 

A $99 4S and a new design for v6... should be interesting.

• Reply 42 of 102
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Never mind Island hermit. I see you modified your post a bit. ;)
  • Reply 43 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

"Aluminum" and glass? Aluminum?

What's wrong?  I don't see anything wrong.

Unless perhaps you're upset about the spelling of the word "Aluminum".  IUPAC recognizes both "Aluminum" and "Aluminium" as acceptable variations of the word, but in most (all?) North American dictionaries, "Aluminum" is generally the preferred spelling.

• Reply 44 of 102
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

How is plastic phone better than aluminum and glass? Have you used Samsung TV's remote controls? That's how the phone feels. You should look into HTC ONE X and apply that logic there.

When I dropped my S2 it bounced, when my wife dropped her iPhone 4, it shattered.

• Reply 45 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I write a bit so that I can drop the reply under the comment... and then I adjust. You're just too quick.

• Reply 46 of 102

Quote:

The best part is when you get an app that looks like Android 2.2 on a 4.0 OS device. Looks like you have a different phone. That's the problem with Android OS, Google changed the looks so many times all apps look different. The fitting is not an issue, looking like a complete, polished product -- is.

Ignorant statement of the week.  A the large majority of Android phone manufactures produce their own launchers and a majority of users use 3rd party launchers so it does not matter what Google does with the look since no one really ever gets to see the original look.  Maybe use a product before you bash a product.

• Reply 48 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I write a bit so that I can drop the reply under the comment... and then I adjust. You're just too quick.

I've done the same. Understood

• Reply 49 of 102
  • Reply 50 of 102
    69ergoo69ergoo Posts: 42member

Unlike Apple, Sam-Suck pays subsidies to carriers all over the world. That means telcoms can purchase Sam-Suck phones cheaper than the iPhone. Sam-Suck gets the OS from Google for free and the adoption rate of ICS is less than 10%. Guess what? Google's next mobile OS, codenamed Jelly Bean, will be introduced this week at their I/O. Android platform will be fragmented even more. You might want to wait 3 mos and get the WP8 if you want your OS to get regular updates. Sam-Suck phones will never achieve iconic status like Apple, unless they learn to make their own OS.

• Reply 51 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Considering the delays for those that pre-ordered in the US, I'd say every one of those units has sold. It pissed a lot of us off at at&t when we had to wait an extra 5 days to get the S3 we pre-ordered weeks ago. Qualcomm is having a tough time meeting Samsungs demands as well.

Samsung is expected to sell over 50 million smartphones this quarter, dwarfing Apple.

Samsung sells more smartphones overall, but they also sell a lot of low-end devices. Samsung stated 10m GS3's in the first 2 months. If they move another 5 million that's 15 million in 3 months. If they sell 50 million, then what devices make up the other 35 million?

Apple doesn't compete in the low-end so comparing total sales is meaningless.

• Reply 52 of 102
    povilas wrote: »
    Oh here we go with more crap like this.

Used and owned both for Long periods of time....my opinion.
  • Reply 53 of 102
    ivlad wrote: »

How is plastic phone better than aluminum and glass? Have you used Samsung TV's remote controls? That's how the phone feels. You should look into HTC ONE X and apply that logic there.

I don't interact too much with the back, I was talking about the screen size, screen quality etc.
  • Reply 54 of 102
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

I wasn't intending to imply that most of Apple's phones were sold directly to consumers, merely that it is usually possible to order them that way, and some of them are, in fact, sold like that.  Conversely, usually Samsung makes it impossible for any of their phones to be sold under such arrangements.

If the emphasis in my sentence structure appeared to imply a meaning other than I had intended, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Samsung sells phones directly to customers too. In fact, in some countries, that's the only legal way to buy a phone.

• Reply 55 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Likely you are correct.  There are so many Apple lawsuits that it is hard to keep track.

How about HTC?  Is Apple trying to ban the HTC One X?

Sorry, missed the question earlier. 

Yes they are, along with another 20 some-odd models. If an Android smartphone has any chance at being successful, Apple's on it.

IMHO, their legal maneuvers are more towards restricting competition than protecting IP. Some of the claims are for the most minimal features using sometimes vaguely described patents, yet total sales injunctions are being requested. Now with Apple on both the giving and receiving end of some of these dubious agendas, I expect things to get still worse before the inevitable cross-licensing takes place.

• Reply 56 of 102
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

What's wrong?  I don't see anything wrong.

Unless perhaps you're upset about the spelling of the word "Aluminum".  IUPAC recognizes both "Aluminum" and "Aluminium" as acceptable variations of the word, but in most (all?) North American dictionaries, "Aluminum" is generally the preferred spelling.

What part of the iPhone is aluminum?

• Reply 57 of 102
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

When I dropped my S2 it bounced, when my wife dropped her iPhone 4, it shattered.

I've dropped my iPhone 4 and 4S each about 30 times. Not a scratch on either.

Let's not forget S2 also has glass. One can argue that iPhones have two glass surfaces and therefore double the odds of "shattering". But many users have a case, which reduces the odds of shattering to being the same for S2 and iPhone (i.e. very low in both cases).

• Reply 58 of 102
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

color me unsurprised...

Samsung hardware, certainly since the S2 has been far better than anything coming out of Apple for a long time...and at a far better price. (TCO)

its horrible going back to anything iphone like now....feels even more toy like.

I know you are just trolling.  But  have you ever looked into the popularity of this "toy".  While Samsung sells alot of phones, they still have no single phone that can approach the popularity of the iPhone.  If fact they do the opposite, they make hundreds of iterations.. using different screen/processor/feature/radio combinations in an effort to outdo the iPhone.  And still have not found an answer for it.  How can such a horrible toy product like the iPhone.. crush the sales of pretty much any other phone ever sold?

What seems like a toy to you, is what makes the phone so popular with millions of other people.  The average person with a smartphone doesnt care about scrolling wallpapers, 500 keyboards to choose from, "true multitasking" or how "open" their phones operating system is.  What the average person does cares about is something so simple to use you dont need to read an instruction manual or website/youtube guide to use it.  So reliable they arent worried about apps crashing or that their battery wont make it till lunch.  And so well made using high quality materials that will still feel substantial & solid to use everyday at the end of that 2 year contract they just signed.  

The bigger point being that every iPhone thats been announced is designed from a user's standpoint first, and what's most important is included & prioritized.  Instead of the competitions method of throwing a bunch of specs at consumers.. hoping they will continually bite on the latest, greatest (or cheapest) flavour of the month.  A whole lot of people buying the S3, just bought the Galaxy Note or HTC One before it.  And a few months before that they bought Droid Rzar or Galaxy Nexus before that.  We could go on & on.  Ever wonder why these Android guys are constantly crying/buying/trying the latest & greatest Android phone?  How did they catch this Androiditis?  Because they are endless chasing a bunch of spec & software upgrades.. instead of actually experiencing the joy of a quality product meant to last.  

Which brings up another point important point about the Phone.  Its software will always be stable, efficient, productive & well supported.  The same cant be said for Samsung's "look-whats-next" product line.  The tell-tale point about the iPhone (and why its ridiculously popular) is that you once you buy it, you dont worry about it.  You dont get caught up in the Androiditis.  When something just works.. you dont have to worry about it.  That alone is worth the price of admission.  Something that the 1000's of models of Android phones, android manufacters and android owners cant grasp.  They are constantly worried about whats next, whats faster, whats bigger or whats missing.  

• Reply 59 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

I've dropped my iPhone 4 and 4S each about 30 times. Not a scratch on either.

Let's not forget S2 also has glass. One can argue that iPhones have two glass surfaces and therefore double the odds of "shattering". But many users have a case, which reduces the odds of shattering to being the same for S2 and iPhone (i.e. very low in both cases).

Its not an argument, iPhone does have two glass surfaces and the back is what shattered on my wife's, with the bumpers on it, which is a moot point, we are talking about the phones not the cases, if all you have to do is add a case to counter an argument than my phone looks way better than an iPhone because of my classy case.  The original question implies that glass and aluminium i better than plastic and I am pointing out why I think it is not.

• Reply 60 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

I know you are just trolling.  But  have you ever looked into the popularity of this "toy".  While Samsung sells alot of phones, they still have no single phone that can approach the popularity of the iPhone.  If fact they do the opposite, they make hundreds of iterations.. using different screen/processor/feature/radio combinations in an effort to outdo the iPhone.  And still have not found an answer for it.  How can such a horrible toy product like the iPhone.. crush the sales of pretty much any other phone ever sold?

What seems like a toy to you, is what makes the phone so popular with millions of other people.  The average person with a smartphone doesnt care about scrolling wallpapers, 500 keyboards to choose from, "true multitasking" or how "open" their phones operating system is.  What the average person does cares about is something so simple to use you dont need to read an instruction manual or website/youtube guide to use it.  So reliable they arent worried about apps crashing or that their battery wont make it till lunch.  And so well made using high quality materials that will still feel substantial & solid to use everyday at the end of that 2 year contract they just signed.  

The bigger point being that every iPhone thats been announced is designed from a user's standpoint first, and what's most important is included & prioritized.  Instead of the competitions method of throwing a bunch of specs at consumers.. hoping they will continually bite on the latest, greatest (or cheapest) flavour of the month.  A whole lot of people buying the S3, just bought the Galaxy Note or HTC One before it.  And a few months before that they bought Droid Rzar or Galaxy Nexus before that.  We could go on & on.  Ever wonder why these Android guys are constantly crying/buying/trying the latest & greatest Android phone?  How did they catch this Androiditis?  Because they are endless chasing a bunch of spec & software upgrades.. instead of actually experiencing the joy of a quality product meant to last.  

Which brings up another point important point about the Phone.  Its software will always be stable, efficient, productive & well supported.  The same cant be said for Samsung's "look-whats-next" product line.  The tell-tale point about the iPhone (and why its ridiculously popular) is that you once you buy it, you dont worry about it.  You dont get caught up in the Androiditis.  When something just works.. you dont have to worry about it.  That alone is worth the price of admission.  Something that the 1000's of models of Android phones, android manufacters and android owners cant grasp.  They are constantly worried about whats next, whats faster, whats bigger or whats missing.  

So the iPhone is the "safety helmet" I used to see some kids in school wearing.