Children of Dune trailers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.scifi.com/dune/trailers/index.html"; target="_blank">http://www.scifi.com/dune/trailers/index.html</a>;

Looks like it'll be sweet. Can't wait.

SPOILERS BELOW if you have never read the books....

They are encapsulating 2 books in this series, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. It will be interesting to see how they handle Alia, Hayt and the twins.

Also the first trailer had a COOL scene with Paul killing Scytale!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    it's been too long since i've read them...

so i've forgotten almost all of it. i'm still excited about it, although don't expect too much...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Cool. It's been years since I read the books, but, was that a 'Little Maker' on his neck? Damn. //*goes to stor-n-lok to dig up books*//
  • Reply 3 of 11
    looks like it may be better than the first series. i too wonder how they are going to deal with hyat/idaho plot. i didn't care for the way they killed duncan off in the first mini. very lame. he should have recieved more focus since he is to become a/the pivital character of the rest of the story line. i see no reason for the deviation from herbert's novel. makes no sense.

[ 02-04-2003: Message edited by: running with scissors ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 11
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    [quote]Originally posted by running with scissors:

<strong>looks like it may be better than the first series. i too wonder how they are going to deal with hyat/idaho plot. i didn't care for the way they killed duncan off in the first mini. very lame. he should have recieved more focus since he is to become a/the pivital character of the rest of the story line. i see no reason for the deviation from herbert's novel. makes no sense.

[ 02-04-2003: Message edited by: running with scissors ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

My point exactly. He was blown up in the original series by a bomb! There would have been nothing left to make a ghola from! It is my understanding that the Tleilaxu used his whole body to make the ghola, but i guess they could explain it away with DNA cloning now.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by 709:

<strong>Cool. It's been years since I read the books, but, was that a 'Little Maker' on his neck? Damn. //*goes to stor-n-lok to dig up books*//</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep, it's SUPPOSED to be "little makers" or "sand trout". His body should be 95% covered with them when he confronts Alia in the palace but in the trailer he has only a few (?).

Another thing, doesn't he look a little old? He should only be about 8 or 9 at that time. Oh well. The series still looks good.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>

My point exactly. He was blown up in the original series by a bomb! There would have been nothing left to make a ghola from! It is my understanding that the Tleilaxu used his whole body to make the ghola, but i guess they could explain it away with DNA cloning now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

that angle doesn't bother me as much considering they were able to do the same thing with the basher in chapterhouse with little more than a fingernail scrapping (yeah, i know, several thousand years later). what does bother me in the way they killed him, however, was it changes some of the motivation behind making a ghola out of him in the first place. in the book, while protecting paul and jessica and ensuring their escape, he single-handily killed 19 imperial saudakar before succumbing to a sneaky attack of a hunter-seeker. not to shabby. they realized then that this guy was one bad ass, maybe he's still useful. the way it stands now, how would they even know who he was in the first place after he had been blown to ity bity pieces by the bomb dropped at a distance?
  • Reply 7 of 11

<strong>

that angle doesn't bother me as much considering they were able to do the same thing with the basher in chapterhouse with little more than a fingernail scrapping (yeah, i know, several thousand years later). what does bother me in the way they killed him, however, was it changes some of the motivation behind making a ghola out of him in the first place. in the book, while protecting paul and jessica and ensuring their escape, he single-handily killed 19 imperial saudakar before succumbing to a sneaky attack of a hunter-seeker. not to shabby. they realized then that this guy was one bad ass, maybe he's still useful. the way it stands now, how would they even know who he was in the first place after he had been blown to ity bity pieces by the bomb dropped at a distance?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ahh, I see your angle now. From reading Dune messiah, i always got the impression that there was already a plan in place to make a ghola out of Duncan, and they(Tleilaxu) paid off Sardukar to recover his body, or part of it. Therefore he was probably closely monitored before and during the Harkonen invasion. In fact it may have been a Fremen that informed the Tleilaxu of Duncan's worth since Duncan spent much time with the Fremen and to win their support for the Atreides he would have had to impress them greatly.
  • Reply 8 of 11

<strong>

Ahh, I see your angle now. From reading Dune messiah, i always got the impression that there was already a plan in place to make a ghola out of Duncan, and they(Tleilaxu) paid off Sardukar to recover his body, or part of it. Therefore he was probably closely monitored before and during the Harkonen invasion. In fact it may have been a Fremen that informed the Tleilaxu of Duncan's worth since Duncan spent much time with the Fremen and to win their support for the Atreides he would have had to impress them greatly.</strong><hr></blockquote>

at the time, i doubt tleilax had much interest in duncan to go to the links that you described above, but you never know with them. shifty bastards. the imperial house, on the other hand would have been very interested in duncan, seeing how the trio of duncan, gurney, and thufir, where largely responsible for creating and training a small force for duke leto that was superior to the sardukar. one of the main reasons for their secret support of the baron. you get some insight into this in children of dune during the plot to kill the leto II and his sister from dialogue taking place on salusa secondus. it has been ages since i read this, so i forget the particulars.
  • Reply 9 of 11

<strong>

at the time, i doubt tleilax had much interest in duncan to go to the links that you described above, but you never know with them. shifty bastards. the imperial house, on the other hand would have been very interested in duncan, seeing how the trio of duncan, gurney, and thufir, where largely responsible for creating and training a small force for duke leto that was superior to the sardukar. one of the main reasons for their secret support of the baron. you get some insight into this in children of dune during the plot to kill the leto II and his sister from dialogue taking place on salusa secondus. it has been ages since i read this, so i forget the particulars.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Did you read any of the books by Brian (prelude to Dune)? There is a strong connection between a young Shadam and the Tleilaxu in trying to break spice monopoly on Arrakis trying to make artificial spice in an axlotl tank. I think that's where I make most of the connections, but who knows. I think I remember the Tleilaxu taking an interest in Duncan then.
  • Reply 10 of 11

<strong>

Did you read any of the books by Brian (prelude to Dune)? There is a strong connection between a young Shadam and the Tleilaxu in trying to break spice monopoly on Arrakis trying to make artificial spice in an axlotl tank. I think that's where I make most of the connections, but who knows. I think I remember the Tleilaxu taking an interest in Duncan then.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i base my thoughts totally on the original books. i didn't care for brian's books all that much. there's no telling how much of this he's pulling out of his own ass, and how much he really got from his dad's notes. i read the first one but thought it came across a little to hoaky. the depth of character development and intrigue seems to be a little to simplistic for me. i have resisted the temtation to read the other thus far, but i'm sure i'll break down and get them as well. perhaps he will release his dad's notes some time down the line. that would be great.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I think there are plans to do so: <a href="http://www.dunenovels.com"; target="_blank">www.dunenovels.com</a>

Look through there, they mention it a few times.