Retina display image retention reported by new MacBook Pro owners

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Some early adopters of the new MacBook Pro with Retina display are experiencing image persistence issues with the laptop's high-resolution screen, prompting Apple to replace any possibly defective units.

A number of users have reported on Apple's Community Forums (via The Next Web) that their new MacBook Pro's Retina display suffers from image retention issues, sometimes incorrectly referred to as ghosting, though the problem is not believed to be widespread.

Mis-titled as a screen "burn-in" problem, the thread contains a number of identical instances of image persistence on the high pixel density IPS panels used in the recently-released MacBook Pro, though the true number of those affected could be greater as the problem may be too subtle for all but the most eagle-eyed users. As noted by forum members, the latent image is only noticeable on light-colored backgrounds and remains on the screen for some five minutes before slowly fading away.

Apple is apparently aware of the issue as Geniuses have ordered replacement units for the malfunctioning screens but in some cases owners have to wait two to three weeks due to high demand for the laptop.

Demonstration of image persistence on the new MacBook Pro Retina display. | Source: Wilson Chan

It has been speculated that the problems stems from a "bad batch" of panels since only a limited number of cases have been reported. The reason for the image retention is unknown and Apple has yet to officially comment on the issue. It should be noted that those who purchased the new MacBook Pro have the usual 14 days to initiate a "no questions asked" warranty return if they are experiencing the problem.

Image persistence, otherwise known as image retention, has been seen on other IPS panels is one of the main weaknesses of the display technology. Cheaper budget models are known to suffer from both image retention and ghosting, the phenomenon of having a second "ghost" image superimposed on the main image. Ghosting in digital displays is usually related to either de-interlacing or incorrect interpolation of frame pulldown.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Expected. There are always bugs to sort out with the first batch. I am sure they'll get it corrected.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Just a point of contention if you can't see it, it isn't a problem. I'm not sure why Appleinsider needs to fan the flames for the mentally ill here. No we will have to deal with endless posts from people that see nothing in their screens but are worried that they have a problem with their new retina MBP.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    dabrdabr Posts: 1member

... or they can just be * trippin *

• Reply 4 of 43
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member

You're looking at it wrong.

- S. Jobs.

• Reply 5 of 43
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Expected. There are always bugs to sort out with the first batch. I am sure they'll get it corrected.

Saying this is "expected" is going a bit too far. 

• Reply 6 of 43
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

glad my rMBP doesn't do that.. I tried testing it leaving something like that on the screen for 30 minutes and there was never any retention of the image through many different color backgrounds.

• Reply 7 of 43
    msheredymsheredy Posts: 22member

Sometimes it's not the best idea to go out and be the first to have something new. I prefer to wait a bit and see how new tech pans out before jumping on. This goes for EVERY company out there.

• Reply 8 of 43
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Just a point of contention if you can't see it, it isn't a problem. I'm not sure why Appleinsider needs to fan the flames for the mentally ill here. No we will have to deal with endless posts from people that see nothing in their screens but are worried that they have a problem with their new retina MBP.

On the contrary, this is the very type of article that helps readers of A.I. That is, if you are seeing the problem and are not sure if it's your eyes, or if you are not sure if you're alone seeing the problem, this helps you know that others are seeing it and that you should report it to Apple. Your post basically "shoots the messenger". It is not "mentally ill" for someone to report that a certain subset of users are having a hardware issue. On the contrary, it's a bit mental for you to even make such a claim.

• Reply 9 of 43
    squuiidsquuiid Posts: 58member

Mine did it on day one, but have not seen it since.

• Reply 10 of 43
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

- S. Jobs.

You're born wrong!  Please leave 2010 behind... please and thank you!

• Reply 11 of 43

Great... Now that's the first thing I'll be looking for when mine comes in.

I've seen this on some OLED panels before but every time I see image retention, it's very minor.

But at the price I paid for it, it better be pretty damn perfect, haha. Let's just hope that this is a small batch of panels w/ this issue.

• Reply 12 of 43
    sticknicksticknick Posts: 123member
    Wonder how long before the tech press gets their hands on this, dubs it Retinagate (or something equally idioticgate) and the world looses it's mind?
  • Reply 13 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    sticknick wrote: »
    Wonder how long before the tech press gets their hands on this, dubs it Retinagate (or something equally idioticgate) and the world looses it's mind?

If it's going to happen, two days, tops.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    mikemomikemo Posts: 7member
    I have this on my 24 inch iMac. Never thought to complain since its really not a big deal.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

Quote:

The reason for the image retention is unknown and Apple has yet to officially comment on the issue. 

Good luck to anyone waiting for apple to officially comment on a bug or manufacturing defect. Might as well wait for the next manned trip to the andromeda galaxy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

No one from the press dubbed it antennagate, Steve did. The press got on their back because the iphone had a grave error in its antenna design which was corrected in the 4s. Apple got away with it and sold millions of iphone 4, no one else would have pulled it off and not only have gone unscathed from this, but also make their product a bestseller and without even modifying the problematic design. 

I am actually very pleasantly surprised with the level of qc in the new retina pros screens, after the problems with the yellow tinge of the ipad I expected a more bumpy start. Lg, or whoever is behind this is doing a pretty good job it seems. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

- S. Jobs.

looolllll!!!!

• Reply 16 of 43

I see the problem and I don't even have a new MBP

• Reply 17 of 43

Must be isolated.  We have several that we have had since first week and no issues on them.

• Reply 18 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeHeffe View Post

Must be isolated.  We have several that we have had since first week and no issues on them.

"we have several" Do you work in an Apple store or something?

Can you leave it on a single image for maybe 10 minutes and then pull up an all white image?

• Reply 19 of 43
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

How is that article 'fanning the flames'?  It anything, its trying to minimise the issue - trying to come up with reasons on why it could impact only a few.

• Reply 20 of 43
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Good luck to anyone waiting for apple to officially comment on a bug or manufacturing defect. Might as well wait for the next manned trip to the andromeda galaxy.

Or for you to stop posting your hate-filled drivel.
    No one from the press dubbed it antennagate, Steve did. The press got on their back because the iphone had a grave error in its antenna design which was corrected in the 4s. Apple got away with it and sold millions of iphone 4, no one else would have pulled it off and not only have gone unscathed from this, but also make their product a bestseller and without even modifying the problematic design. 

A 'grave error'? When it was widely recognized by a number of sources as being one of the best antenna designs around? And that the drop in reception when you covered the antenna was experienced by every other phone in the market - yet the Apple phone continued to maintain a connection even at extremely low signal levels?

No unbiased source has ever demonstrated a design flaw with the iPhone 4.