Apple launches new 'Podcasts' app for iPhone, iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    fabsgwufabsgwu Posts: 78member

If this *pushes* episodes out without the app running, that is HUGE, and opening a door for pushing rich content (other than 'print' issues in Newsstand). It's not quite clear what they mean by "automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available." Do they mean 1. Automatically downloads when you open the app (like regular podcast or subscription apps, Instapaper, etc.) or 2. Automatically downloads like Newsstand, which downloads in the background via push.

Can anyone confirm this yet? This could be opening the door for more background activity, pushing new TV episodes, videos, maps for offline use, etc.

• Reply 22 of 57
    dyingsundyingsun Posts: 34member

Yeah, subscriptions is definitely the thing, BUT... again, they're not in sync with iTunes! So you're managing two sets of subscriptions, if you want to keep iTunes as a repository for your Podcasts (which I suppose everybody wants to). *sigh*

• Reply 23 of 57
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday launched a new first-party application in the iOS App Store called "Podcasts," devoted to discovering and downloading Internet content. ...

I don't see what the cheers are about.  This almost seems like an afterthought of an app to me.  They didn't do anything interesting, or new with it, they didn't add anything significant or clear up any of the discovery problems.  

This is like the app that they gave to the new guy to work on because it's such a dull task he couldn't possibly screw it up.  

Most importantly, "podcasts" are still a complete mix of audio-only, audio-video, and audio-video-photos with no way to separate them out.  Also, podcast quality varies wildly with no indications as to quality when choosing them.  It's literally just a big list of podcasts of almost any type, separated by some loose categories.  As always, if you want to watch a good quality video podcast, you could literally be searching for hours before you find one. 

This app is nothing to cheer about at all.  It lives in a world somewhere between "dull as dishwater" and "same old shite."

• Reply 24 of 57
    stustu Posts: 11member
    nt
  • Reply 25 of 57

I'm definitely sticking with the Music app + iTunes syncing option for the time being. The app's interesting but the Mac has to be part of the equation as well. I'll wait till they get it all in sync.

• Reply 26 of 57
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

does this actually do *paid* subscriptions?  Right now you have to do paid for subscriptions that need a user name and password in iTunes on a Mac or Windows machine, and then sync it to your iOS device because the iOS device has no way to get it.  If this lets you get podcasts that need a log in, that would be fantastic.

• Reply 27 of 57
    chudqchudq Posts: 43member

Are there any options for 1/2, 1, 1.5x, 2x speed for voice? 2x is my normal option for tech podcasts. What I like to get just information. I could cut time for some long ones like 2hrs to 1hrs, and I could listen more during my day.

• Reply 28 of 57
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

For these kind of problems I recommend... getting some real problems. Then, your podcasts not syncing their last played positions, won't seem so bad.

No! we don't want real problems! we want to pick nits!! the first version of any new app has to be perfect! because Apple never adds any improvements later. or if it does, i can't wait. either instant gratification or Fail!

• Reply 29 of 57
    there's a 2x and 0.5x, but no 1.5x - which I would really like to see as an option. 2x is too fast.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ugh....someone at Apple needs to put a stop to these skeumorphic UI designs. Not everything needs to look like a physical thing in order for people to figure out how to use it, or for it to look good. Apple figured out less is more with their hardware. Why can't they do the same on the software side?!?
  • Reply 31 of 57
    axcess99axcess99 Posts: 47member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu View Post

There's a "Unplayed Episodes" playlist, but it seems to show most recent first, which is an odd sorting decision for podcasts. Can't find a way in the app (and no settings entry for podcast) to change any options

I did notice the "Unplayed Episodes" section (had to switch to list view, there is no equivalent on the "tile" view).  And this may be an upgrade or first-launch style issue, but the "Unplayed" section only showed items which I had not yet started, more like the "new" categorization in iTunes rather than the "unplayed" status.  I'll have to experiment more with this and the rest of the app more.

• Reply 32 of 57
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Age you able to import your own podcast feeds or is it only what's in the iTunes store?

Not sure why someone would chose this over Downcaster or other good podcast apps other than its free.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    nt
  • Reply 34 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

No! we don't want real problems! we want to pick nits!! the first version of any new app has to be perfect! because Apple never adds any improvements later. or if it does, i can't wait. either instant gratification or Fail!

This is not nitpicking. If there's an ecosystem, the status of things should be coherent within it. That's a basic assumption. If it's not ready, don't release it yet. What's the point?!

• Reply 35 of 57
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Excellent app. Keeps all your podcasts and podcast subscriptions together on your device. Easy to browse for and subscribe to additional podcasts too. Bonus is that it looks great on both the iPhone and iPad.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Possibly mainly beneficial for my iPad, the handling of podcasts on that hasn't been satisfactory compared to the iPhone.

• Reply 37 of 57
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member

I too noticed that enhanced podcast have been left out in the cold with chapters & album art missing.  Hopefully they'll update this missing feature quick.

• Reply 38 of 57
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Really?  People still use podcasts?

• Reply 39 of 57
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DyingSun View Post

This is not nitpicking. If there's an ecosystem, the status of things should be coherent within it. That's a basic assumption. If it's not ready, don't release it yet. What's the point?!

the point is, it is quite good as it is, V.1, and no doubt Apple will improve on it later. it is "ready," even if some people aren't.

• Reply 40 of 57
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    welshdog wrote: »
    Really?  People still use podcasts?

Really? People still say idiotic things in forums?

Of course people still listen to podcasts. Why wouldn't they?