Brightcove helps iOS developers build dual-screen apps for Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Brightcove on Tuesday unveiled a new solution for iOS developers that aims to make it easy to develop dual-screen content for the Apple TV over AirPlay.

The new "App Cloud Dual-Screen Solution for Apple TV" from Brightcove promises to enable media publishers to develop rich content apps for iPhone and iPad that can simultaneously control content, data, and information displayed on an HDTV over Apple's AirPlay standard.

With the new App Cloud service, developers will be able to display synchronized content on an iPad or iPhone, as well as an HDTV connected to an Apple TV set-top box. Software built with Brightcove's technology will allow viewers to use applications that simultaneously present content, interactive options and data on both the iOS device and the Apple TV.

"The App Cloud Dual-Screen Solution for Apple TV opens the door to a new kind of content experience for the connected consumer that blends the rich contextual information that fans crave with HD television viewing," said Jeremy Allaire, Brightcove chairman and chief executive officer. "App Cloud is transforming the iPad and iPhone app experience by marrying rich contextual content for mobile devices with online video viewing on the living room television."

Brightcove hopes that developers will use their service to appeal to smartphone users who multitask while watching TV. A recent survey by Razorfish and Yahoo of more than 2,000 smartphone users found that 80 percent of respondents use their mobile device while watching TV.

The new Dual-Screen App Solution is found in the App Cloud software development kit and is available to the open-source community.

Apple does not currently allow developers to write their own third-party applications specifically for the Apple TV. But iPhone and iPad developers can display content over the HDTV with AirPlay, Apple's wireless streaming standard.

Next month with the launch of Mountain Lion, Macs will also feature AirPlay functionality. The release of OS X 10.8 in July will feature support for AirPlay Mirroring built in, just like is already found in iOS for iPhone and iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14

I would be shocked if this doesn't get sherlocked by Apple.  The phenomenon of people using Second screens while watching TV seems like the sort of thing that Apple would capitalize with their Apple TV SDK, once released.

• Reply 2 of 14

Nice but, having to invoke the bottom bar to launch the content via airplay kills the deal in my opinion. Would be far more intuitive to have the app push the content via AirPlay natively via some kind of button/menu.

• Reply 3 of 14
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by crustyjusty View Post

I would be shocked if this doesn't get sherlocked by Apple.  The phenomenon of people using Second screens while watching TV seems like the sort of thing that Apple would capitalize with their Apple TV SDK, once released.

'Sherlocked'?

You really think that Apple isn't way down the road on their development of this?

That a 3rd party company can throw together something only means that it might be first... not better than baked-in.

• Reply 4 of 14
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

Looks promising in added greater functionality to AppleTV.

$100 is not a huge investment, but I just wish Apple would be more forthright in their plans for this 'hobby'.

• Reply 5 of 14

Is this to simply facilitate the implementation of this sort of feature?

I ask because it already exists in multiple VNC/RDP apps where it detects that Mirroring is enabled and shoots the remote Mac/PC display to the AppleTV and displays a ketboard and trackpad on the iPad,.

• Reply 6 of 14
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

Really, really cool.

• Reply 7 of 14

I hope OSX Lion will allow Apple TV to be used as a second monitor for my MacBook rather than just mirroring. Until that feature is available I don't see myself investing in an Apple TV.

• Reply 8 of 14

*Mountain Lion

• Reply 9 of 14
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

Sounds like a copy of Microsoft's SmartGlass technology.

• Reply 10 of 14

That's actually exactly what it does.

It also shows Airport Expresses as system wide audio devices.

• Reply 11 of 14
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member

I'm struggling to see what's new?

For ages there's been apps/games that display one thing on the ipad and another via airplay e.g. Real Racing 2 HD

• Reply 12 of 14
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member
    aderutter wrote: »

For ages there's been apps/games that display one thing on the ipad and another via airplay e.g. Real Racing 2 HD
    Damn, that's exactly what I was thinking. What's the deal. I don't see anything new here. There's definitely a few apps that I know that do the same type of sh*t. O Well.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iOSnoops View Post

Nice but, having to invoke the bottom bar to launch the content via airplay kills the deal in my opinion. Would be far more intuitive to have the app push the content via AirPlay natively via some kind of button/menu.

Yes, why does Apple do that? I recently bought an Apple TV and downloaded Real Racing HD 2 to try out AirPlay... Took me a while to realise that I had to turn on AirPlay Mirroring before the content would be presented dual-screen. How is that intuitive? It's not even mirroring the content!

• Reply 14 of 14
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

I guess it's just an SDK to make the whole dual-screen thing easier to implement. If not, then I don't see the point either.