After 5 years, Apple's iPhone has generated $150B in revenue

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
This week marks the fifth anniversary of the launch of the first iPhone. Since then, Apple's smartphone is estimated to have generated the company $150 billion of cumulative revenues worldwide.

The first iPhone officially launched on June 29, 2007, making this Friday the official five-year anniversary. Recognizing the milestone, Strategy Analytics on Wednesday offered its latest statistics, noting that Apple has shipped 250 million iPhones cumulatively worldwide, generating $150 billion in cumulative revenues.

"The iPhone portfolio has become a huge generator of cash and profit for Apple," said Neil Mawston, executive director at Strategy Analytics. "A quarter of a billion iPhones have been shipped cumulatively worldwide in the first five years since launch and Apple reaches its fifth birthday at the top of its game."

While the first five years of the iPhone have been an undeniable success for Apple, propelling the company to become the largest in the world by market capitalization. But Mawston said the next five years could be more difficult for Apple, as the competition improves and some mobile operators become concerned about subsidies spent on the iPhone.

Currently, the iPhone is so popular that Apple sells more handsets per day than there are babies born in the world, according to VoucherCodes.co.uk. The retail outlet also noted that since the release of the iPhone, Apple's worldwide brand ranking has catapulted from 44th place to No. 1.

iPhone anniversary
iPhone anniversary infographic via VoucherCodes.

The first iPhone was introduced in early 2007 by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs as three devices in one: a "revolutionary mobile phone," a "widescreen iPod," and a "breakthrough Internet communications device." Since then, the iPhone's upward trajectory has been consistent, as Apple continues to deliver record breaking quarters and sales continue to grow.

In the last quarter alone, Apple shipped 35.1 million iPhones, helping to propel the company to the 250 million milestone that Strategy Analytics believes the company has crossed ahead of the iPhone's five-year anniversary. In its last quarterly earnings conference call, Apple executives announced that more than 360 million iOS devices, including the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, had been sold to date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23

Surely the first iPhone was introduced in 2007 not 2009?

• Reply 2 of 23
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Apple has a chance of shipping 200 million in calendar 2013

I would argue the next five years look much more promising. Nokia and RIM are DOA. Windows is on life support. And Android is becoming a train wreck. Most important, Apple is un-relentless in major annual hardware and software improvements. And, it will continue to see growing halo benefits from iPad. Android has none of that

The only threat I see is hits to Apple's high ASP, whether that is through the carrier or direct to consumers. The next iPhone launch is very key here. A knock out product gives them a lot of momentum for next 2-3 years
  • Reply 3 of 23
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

I would argue the next five years look much more promising. Nokia and RIM are DOA. Windows phone is on life support. And Android is becoming a train wreck. Most important, Apple is un-relentless in major annual hardware and software improvements. And, it will continue to see growing halo benefits from iPad. Android has none of that

The only threat I see is hits to Apple's high ASP, whether that is through the carrier or direct to consumers. The next iPhone launch is very key here. A knock out product gives them a lot of momentum for next 2-3 years

added a word to improve meaning.

• Reply 4 of 23

Quote:

I would argue the next five years look much more promising. Nokia and RIM are DOA. Windows is on life support. And Android is becoming a train wreck. Most important, Apple is un-relentless in major annual hardware and software improvements. And, it will continue to see growing halo benefits from iPad. Android has none of that

"un-relentless", this word brought to you by the department of redundancy department.

• Reply 5 of 23
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member

Was Steve Ballmer available for a quote?

• Reply 6 of 23

Quote:

And Android is becoming a train wreck.

I'm not sure why you say this in the context of sales volume.  2 or 3 Android phones are sold for every iPhone sold, and the proportions are growing.

Don't get me wrong - iPhone sales are spectacular, and with their high margins, Apple is making tons of profits.

But I see no trend indicating that Android sales are crashing and burning, train wreck style.  Quite the opposite:  They are selling faster and faster, and are currently dwarfing iPhone sales.

• Reply 7 of 23
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

I'm not sure why you say this in the context of sales volume.  2 or 3 Android phones are sold for every iPhone sold, and the proportions are growing.

Don't get me wrong - iPhone sales are spectacular, and with their high margins, Apple is making tons of profits.

But I see no trend indicating that Android sales are crashing and burning, train wreck style.  Quite the opposite:  They are selling faster and faster, and are currently dwarfing iPhone sales.

of course...

but that's only because samsung. all others are losing money or very close to it.

that's way the "android" as we know it is in a very difficult situation.

• Reply 8 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    My 4GB iPhone turns five in two days. This little thing changed my life, and I've never even had phone service with it.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    dennyldennyl Posts: 28member

Quote:

Nokia and RIM aren't arriving, they're departing! Surely you mean Apple is RELENTLESS. I don't know what ASP is.

• Reply 10 of 23
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dennyl wrote: »
    I don't know what ASP is.

Average Sale Price.
  • Reply 11 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

"un-relentless", this word brought to you by the department of redundancy department.

"department of redundancy department". I think I pee'd in my pants from laughing.

• Reply 12 of 23
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    akf2000 wrote: »

To be fair, Ballmer wasn't the only one who said Apple would never be able to sell the iPhone. Lots of people eating crow with this announcement.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    It's truly a revolutionionary product. I've had and enjoyed each iteration of the phone. It has become a Swiss army knife for modern life, kind of thing. And it's still 'cool' which in itself is a heck of a trick to pull off. Before that the most well know phone was the Motorola Razor, which had a very innovative design for its time.

it's a different world now!
  • Reply 14 of 23
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

But The Simpson's did it first !

• Reply 15 of 23
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

I think he meant unrelenting.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    msimpson wrote: »
    But The Simpson's did it first !

Nice try, Maggie, trying to take all the credit.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    sabugasabuga Posts: 45member

I've got an original iPhone 2G, still working, though the home button is getting rather hard to push, but the battery is still fine. It's pretty much used as an iPod touch, and remote for my Apple TV, but I still think it's the best looking of all the iPhones. :)

• Reply 18 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

No, but from a fetal position under his desk he did giggle maniacally when informed about the news.

• Reply 19 of 23
    luxom3luxom3 Posts: 96member

So how about spending a little of that $150B on a truly remarkable/stable iOS6?

Maybe one that doesn't crash or freeze up? Or one that tells me that the app I just bought doesn't work

with my older iTouch or iPhone?

I know it's fun to be on a winning team, but really, what's so great about the iPhone since 2007?

I know I sound like a troll, but believe me, I was an Apple fan before most of you guys got out of diapers.

I bought Macs for my design studio and employees and gave out iPods as gifts.

But lately I wonder, is Apple actually innovating anymore? Or just selling yesterday's technology and marketing the hell out of it?

• Reply 20 of 23
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    luxom3 wrote: »
    So how about spending a little of that $150B on a truly remarkable/stable iOS6?

Maybe one that doesn't crash or freeze up? Or one that tells me that the app I just bought doesn't work
    with my older iTouch or iPhone?

Why are you basing your comments on an OS that's an early beta?