iOS 6 beta for Apple TV allows customizable app icon layouts

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple's latest beta of iOS 6 for the Apple TV allows users to customize and reorder the layout of application icons, just like on the iPhone and iPad.

Similar to the long press used to move icons on the iPhone and iPad, users simply hold down the select button on Apple's remote while an icon is selected. Once this is done, the selected will begin to wiggle, and it can be dragged to a custom location on the TV screen.

In current, public builds of the Apple TV operating system, holding down the select button will put the device to sleep. Icons on the screen are also displayed in a static grid and cannot be moved.

Only one icon can be moved at a time with the new feature found in the second beta of the Apple TV. The feature was demonstrated in a video created by MacMagazine.com.br (via MacRumors).

Apple issued the second beta of its next software update for the Apple TV set-top box to developers on Monday, alongside iOS 6 beta 2 for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The software is scheduled to publicly launch this fall.

The redesigned Apple TV user interface debuted earlier this year with the launch of a new 1080p-capable model of the device. Apple executive Eddy Cue portrayed the update as a simplified design that makes it easier for users to access features on their Apple TV.

The grid-like layout with application icons brought the Apple TV interface even closer to its iOS-based iPhone and iPad counterparts. The forthcoming addition of a customizable icon grid could be seen as making the Apple TV one step closer to receiving its own App Store with downloadable third-party software designed for HDTVs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

This being said, I would think the iOS apps store for AppleTV wouldn't be far behind. I can't see any other reason why it would be handy to do this. 

• Reply 2 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    macxpress wrote: »
    …the iOS apps store for AppleTV wouldn't be far behind.

How horrid…

Did they also fix the page jump? It should scroll down instead of JUMPING to all icons.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

This being said, I would think the iOS apps store for AppleTV wouldn't be far behind. 

How great!

• Reply 4 of 31

Quote:

This being said, I would think the iOS apps store for AppleTV wouldn't be far behind. I can't see any other reason why it would be handy to do this. 

The two reasons I think they're holding off on the App Store for AppleTV - no great way of controlling it (the little remote isn't good enough). And, they're probably waiting so they can push it as a major feature with their dedicated TV.

I wish they would just create a little gaming/remote controller for the AppleTV, and this thing could be absolutely huge - people need an easy/comfortable way to pick up and play with it. But I've got a feeling they'll try to make it totally controlled by iOS devices, which seems a bit of a misstep and not actually that practical. Hopefully they'll come up with a way to integrate both.

It will be amazing though, hundreds/thousands of little games, giving power back to independent developers in the 'console' space. I think it could easily bring us back to the nintendo/sega era of gaming, simplicity vs 60 dollar premium xbox titles.

• Reply 5 of 31
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    macxpress wrote: »
    The two reasons I think they're holding off on the App Store for AppleTV - no great way of controlling it (the little remote isn't good enough). And, they're probably waiting so they can push it as a major feature with their dedicated TV.

I wish they would just create a little gaming/remote controller for the AppleTV, and this thing could be absolutely huge - people need an easy/comfortable way to pick up and play with it. But I've got a feeling they'll try to make it totally controlled by iOS devices, which seems a bit of a misstep and not actually that practical. Hopefully they'll come up with a way to integrate both.

I think it would have to be a separate set of apps for this reason, I don't know if Apple would develop a different controller for AppleTV. Another way would be to encourage app developers more strongly to offer Airplay compatible options, so you use your iOS device as the controller, main processing on the handheld and beam it to the screen.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Seriously?  Can't see any other reason?  

How about the fact that out of the five icons that are immediately available on the main screen, most users (especially outside of the USA) only need to access one?  How about the fact that the other two or three icons you may want to access are all several rows down?  

Personally, I just use "Computers" (iTunes), "Netflix" and "Vimeo" so this will be a boon to me in that I can just put them on the top row and never have to worry about scrolling through all that other crap every time I wan't to watch something.  There is also the Apple adverts for stuff I don't want to use or see like iTunes Match and prominent links to the iTunes store even though only US customers can actually buy anything there.  

Better still (for all iOS devices instead of just AppleTV), would be to let us delete the ones we don't want to see.  There are at least four icons prominently displayed for American sporting activities for instance.  I don't want to see that crap.  

• Reply 7 of 31
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member

These are truly extraordinary technologies Apple is rolling into the next generation of Apple TV software. I cannot wait to get these updates loaded onto all my Apple TV devices.

• Reply 8 of 31

I hope they change the AppleTV interface pronto.

To put it bluntly, the new one simply sucks. I'd like to be able to delete most of them or put them into a folder to hide them for good.

• Reply 9 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I hope they change the AppleTV interface pronto.

To put it bluntly, the new one simply sucks. I'd like to be able to delete most of them or put them into a folder to hide them for good.

Yes I was also sorta wondering if they'd let users create folders. I think that would be a nice way of hiding away the apps you don't use, to make room for the ones you do. 

• Reply 10 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think it would have to be a separate set of apps for this reason, I don't know if Apple would develop a different controller for AppleTV. Another way would be to encourage app developers more strongly to offer Airplay compatible options, so you use your iOS device as the controller, main processing on the handheld and beam it to the screen.

Why not just make an app that works with your iOS device you already have? Apple could make a kick-ass remote like app for AppleTV by just using your iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad. The only thing that would piss people off is if they don't own an iOS device. 

• Reply 11 of 31
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    I don't like the way it jumps down either, it's jerky and unpleasant.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Why not just make an app that works with your iOS device you already have? Apple could make a kick-ass remote like app for AppleTV by just using your iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad. The only thing that would piss people off is if they don't own an iOS device. 

Apple already makes a remote app, it's one of the first apps they made for iOS after it was released. It leaves a lot to be desired though.

Downloading it and trying to use it would give you the answer to your question.  It just doesn't work well enough to replace a conventional remote and likely never wil due to the limitations of iOS devices in general. 

• Reply 13 of 31

What is really needed is a search function where you can connect a wireless keyboard and mouse instead of using the remote. Plus, of source, so many more content sources. 

• Reply 14 of 31
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

These are truly extraordinary technologies Apple is rolling into the next generation of Apple TV software. I cannot wait to get these updates loaded onto all my Apple TV devices.

I agree.  These small developments are why I feel good that I sold my previous Apple TV 2s and bought the A5 powered ATV3s.  Not that it would make a huge difference, but for a net difference of $15 per ATV (sold my 3 ATV2s for $85/per), I have a feeling third party apps will show a significant boost in load time.

So for anyone holding onto your ATV2s- sell on craigslist and make the switch for cheap- or even more (ATV2s are selling pretty high right now because the ATV3s haven't been jailbroken yet)  :)

• Reply 15 of 31
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    What drives me crazy is that Apple must realize they would sell more AppleTVs than iPads or iPhones if they had:

Apple A5 dual-core CPU (ARM Cortex A9 and PowerVR SGX 543MP4) with 16 GB SSD
    iCloud integration (Calendars, Contacts, Find my iPhone, Mail, Notes, Reminders)
    Siri voice navigation (television mutes when Siri is invoked)
    Optional $50 ergonomic gaming remote with 3 axis accelerometer
    Apps, Apps, Apps

I believe the above is feasible for $200 and would sell faster than any consumer electronics device in history.

I am convinced Apple is saving this for a hat trick in 2013 or 2014. While Apple could add a few more hardware features to the iPhone and many more software features they are approaching a saturation point for features and functionality very rapidly.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The grid-like layout with application icons brought the Apple TV interface even closer to its iOS-based iPhone and iPad counterparts. The forthcoming addition of a customizable icon grid could be seen as making the Apple TV one step closer to receiving its own App Store with downloadable third-party software designed for HDTVs.

Yes, but, isn't that hard-drive in the current Apple TVs used to buffer video content and not store apps? If so, they cannot simply add an App Store to the Apple TV box. Besides, if they do and they ever release an actual TV it'll be one more reason not to get one. I figure that will be one of the differentiators between Apple TV and iTV - an App Store. It'll be iTVs main selling point; "it can double as a games console and many other things!"

• Reply 17 of 31
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

What drives me crazy is that Apple must realize they would sell more AppleTVs than iPads or iPhones if they had:

Apple A5 dual-core CPU (ARM Cortex A9 and PowerVR SGX 543MP4)

iCloud integration (Calendars, Contacts, Find my iPhone, Mail, Notes, Reminders)

Siri voice navigation (television mutes when Siri is invoked)

Optional $50 ergonomic gaming remote with 3 axis accelerometer

Apps, Apps, Apps

I believe the above is feasible for $200 and would sell faster than any consumer electronics device in history.

Sold.  The crazy thing is- this could all be done under the ATV as it stands right now (with the exception of Siri unless they sold a remote individually which would be unlikely).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yes, but, isn't that hard-drive in the current Apple TVs used to buffer video content and not store apps? If so, they cannot simply add an App Store to the Apple TV box. Besides, if they do and they ever release an actual TV it'll be one more reason not to get one. I figure that will be one of the differentiators between Apple TV and iTV - an App Store.

That's also a good point.  Not sure where the Apps would be stored- unless they were more internet based "apps".  The other option would be local storage via computer- but that seems crappy.

Although- that'd be something they could always do- Store the apps on your iTV (with the HD), and you can still access it via your little black box in the other rooms.  Get the app store in every room..... as long as you have an iTV.  ;)

• Reply 18 of 31
    andysol wrote: »
    Sold.  The crazy thing is- this could all be done under the ATV as it stands right now (with the exception of Siri unless they sold a remote individually which would be unlikely).

I think they could possibly even sell such a device for $100.
    AppleTV (4th generation) $100
    AppleTV Motion Sensing Remote $50 each
    AppleTV Hands-Free Motion Sensor $100

That's $300 for many, many millions of people or only $100 for a new AppleTV (4th generation) with remote or use your iPad or iPhone as a motion sensing remote. Perhaps Siri could be triggered via iPad or iPhone.

I am not sure how best to implement Siri ... Mic on the remote? Triggered by the Remote but mic on the AppleTV? The optional remote would be for those who want a more traditional game console paradigm. Would an optional motion sensing input device be possible as well? Apple sells a large number of accessories so such a remote is a possibility.

The only issue with AppleTV now is AirPlay. AirPlay demonstrates considerable lag when hosting multi-player gaming and streaming content to a AppleTV connected television for high-end games.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Anyone see this yet, [URL=https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_q&feature=corpus_selector]Google Nexus Q streamer[/URL]? The copier is out of control.

Interesting. No non-Google apps apparently. Triple the price of AppleTV. WTF. Those robots will buy anything!

Even Apple has Netflix on AppleTV.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    OMG. The [URL= Nexus 7 promotional video[/URL] looks like they swapped Google employees for Apple employees. Literally seems like they stole the concept and perhaps even the script from Apple.

I must admit that the USD $199 price seems very competitive and may force Apple to do something in response although this is more a Amazon Kindle Fire killer than Apple iPad killer. I think that is the first time I have thought a Google Android-based product looked competitive (although the HTC One series of smartphones is decent).