Apple explains MacBook Pro Retina Display settings with support FAQ

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A Frequently Asked Questions page on Apple's support website offers detailed information about settings for the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display in an attempt to clear up confusion about the new screen's capabilities in low-resolution mode and Microsoft's Windows operating system.

The page, which was last modified on Tuesday and noticed by MacNN, explains the difference between scaled resolutions and the Retina setting on the new laptop.

Apple also noted in the article that all of its applications included with OS X Lion support the Retina Display.

"Additionally, iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes, Aperture, Final Cut Pro X, and Motion all support the Retina display," the page read.

Users experiencing "functional or visual issues" with applications are instructed to go into Finder to switch the application into Low Resolution mode.

"Some applications work best using the Low Resolution mode. Other applications will only run in Low Resolution mode," said the FAQ.

For applications, such as 3D games, that want to use their own resolution settings, Apple recommends the 1440 x 900 resolution. Blizzard's "Diablo III" game is one of the few titles that supports full 2880 x 1800 resolution on the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display, though the studio is working on further optimizations that should improve the performance.

MacBook Pro

Apple provided a detailed response on options for using an external display with its high-end laptop. It also offered a hint that users can hold down the Option key when clicking the Scaled button to get more resolution choices in extended desktop mode.

Windows users will be relieved to know that installing Windows 7 via Boot Camp is supported on the Retina Display. The article did, however, note that Windows on the new MacBook Pro will automatically start up with small icons because it defaults to the maximum dpi supported (144 dpi, or 150 percent magnification). Users can adjust their settings in the Windows Display Control Panel.

As the first of Apple's Mac models to sport a Retina Display screen, the MacBook Pro is leading the transition to high-dpi resolutions on OS X. The laptop has received largely positive reviews, with special praise reserved for the screen.

The new screens are not without problem, though. Scattered reports have emerged that users are experiencing image retention issues on some MacBook Pro models. Apple Genius technicians have reportedly been instructed to replace the screens, but crushing demand has left some owners waiting for up to three weeks.

Demonstration of image persistence on the new MacBook Pro Retina display. | Source: Wilson Chan

If recent reports are to be believed, Apple could add another Retina Display-equipped Mac this fall in the form of the 13-inch MacBook Pro. Though some rumors have suggested that Apple would also upgrade its iMac all-in-one desktop to a Retina Display, multiple sources recently told one blogger that it would not happen until 2013.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If recent reports are to be believed, Apple could add another Retina Display-equipped Mac this fall in the form of the 13-inch MacBook Pro. Though some rumors have suggested that Apple would also upgrade its iMac all-in-one desktop to a Retina Display, multiple sources recently told one blogger that it would not happen until 2013.

I still find it difficult to believe Apple would completely drop the 17" MBP forever and not say a word about it.

• Reply 2 of 16
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member

What about the main issue: glare?

MacMatte (matte petition)

http://macmatte.wordpress.com

• Reply 3 of 16
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I still find it difficult to believe Apple would completely drop the 17" MBP forever and not say a word about it.
    It does seem odd. Either they plan to release a 17" RMBP within a year (along with other Retina Macs) and don't care about some buyers having gone from 17" to 15" for the Retina because they know they will just go back to 17" -or- the sales from the 17" are so abysmal that even updating the old style chassis with Ivy Bridge CPUs with USB 3.0 wasn't even worth the relatively simple and cheap engineering efforts.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Believe it or not Apple has been listening to the Matte movement. The new Retina Display is simply the best yet least glare-ridden (for a "glossy" display) screen Apple has ever produced. Ever. It is nothing short of absolutely jaw-dropping, and makes all other screens below 20" (including Retina iPad, iPhone, etc.) look completely hideous.

I only wish Steve were alive to see it ship, and that Steve were alive to see the final release of Pixar's Brave. Thank you Steve, you were decades ahead of everyone else. In 2007 you clearly surpassed Bill Gates. At the D7 discussion, we see now what you were about, while Bill Gates was spouting nonsense in response to the questions. 

Vindication is a dish best served sweet and tangy.

BTW I'm loving the 1280x800 simulated on my MacBook Pro Retina. Maybe my eyesight is slipping from 20/20 that it was, say 10 years ago, but it's like the 13" screen which I am used to, only it is 15" and everything is super crisp yet somewhat soft too. Just... unbelievable.

• Reply 5 of 16
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Apple claims glare is reduced 70% versus the previous non-matte MBP. Isn't that what you want?

• Reply 6 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It does seem odd. Either they plan to release a 17" RMBP within a year (along with other Retina Macs) and don't about some buyers having gone from 17" to 15" for the Retina because they know they will just go back to 17" -or- the sales from the 17" are so abysmal that even updating the old style chassis with Ivy Bridge CPUs with USB 3.0 wasn't even worth the relatively simple and cheap engineering efforts.

If that one advocate of the 17" size was right, the 17" model was the least effective model.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Why would you make a huge announcement when you are no longer selling a product? There's nothing to say, and it only encourages the cynics to complain even louder, even those that don't own, or want a 17" MBP.

Also, given that the main market for the 17" MBP was photographers and video editors, the MBP Retina offers them more resolution in a more compact unit. I can't see very many people this market not migrating to the MBP Retina model.

As for those that just bought it to satisfy their ego, Toshiba sells a lovely 18" "laptop" that will likely fill their needs.

• Reply 8 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    gustav wrote: »
    Why would you make a huge announcement when you are no longer selling a product? There's nothing to say, and it only encourages the cynics to complain even louder, even those that don't own, or want a 17" MBP.

Who said it had to be a huge announcement? A single sentence would have sufficed.

As for those that just bought it to satisfy their ego, Toshiba sells a lovely 18" "laptop" that will likely fill their needs.

Nice straw man argument.
  • Reply 9 of 16

The pixel issues look to be common manufacturing flaws that can effect all screens & probably more so with something as complex as the retina display.  I have same issue with my iMac at work, same exact iMac at home doesn't have the issue so obviously the screen on my work iMac has a defect.

• Reply 10 of 16
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    gustav wrote: »

Also, given that the main market for the 17" MBP was photographers and video editors, the MBP Retina offers them more resolution in a more compact unit. I can't see very many people this market not migrating to the MBP Retina model.

I suspect that Apple also feels like that the Retina display offers the resolution (or better) of a 17" MBP and therefor in theory satisfies those that wanted the larger view without the larger size and weight. It does come at the cost of viewing a smaller actual image (smaller type,etc) but you can actually get more on it the previous 17" because of the mere number of pixels.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I suspect that Apple also feels like that the Retina display offers the resolution (or better) of a 17" MBP and therefor in theory satisfies those that wanted the larger view without the larger size and weight. It does come at the cost of viewing a smaller actual image (smaller type,etc) but you can actually get more on it the previous 17" because of the mere number of pixels.

Have you seen it? The text is really, really small.

Hey! New product idea! Hip looking bifocals. That's about the only way you could use the maximum space option.

• Reply 12 of 16
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Based on the screenshot in the Apple FAQ, it seems like the "Show displays in menu bar" option is gone.  Is this true?

What does the display settings window look like for an external monitor that is connected?  Does it show actual resolutions or does it only show the same dumbed down descriptions as the Retina display settings?  If it does show actual resolutions, are they immediately visible or do you have to jump through hoops like holding down certain keys, leaving the mouse over a certain area, etc?

• Reply 13 of 16
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    sr2012 wrote: »
    Believe it or not Apple has been listening to the Matte movement. The new Retina Display is simply the best yet least glare-ridden (for a "glossy" display) screen Apple has ever produced. Ever. It is nothing short of absolutely jaw-dropping, and makes all other screens below 20" (including Retina iPad, iPhone, etc.) look completely hideous....
    Glossy doesn't bother me but I've already heard from friends who were potential buyers that it's still too reflective. Will hopefully get a look at one in the flesh this weekend.
    A retina MBAir would be great in the future, until then I'll stick with a retina iPad and a huge iMac
  • Reply 14 of 16
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Believe it or not Apple has been listening to the Matte movement. The new Retina Display is simply the best yet least glare-ridden (for a "glossy" display) screen Apple has ever produced. Ever. It is nothing short of absolutely jaw-dropping, and makes all other screens below 20" (including Retina iPad, iPhone, etc.) look completely hideous.

I only wish Steve were alive to see it ship, and that Steve were alive to see the final release of Pixar's Brave. Thank you Steve, you were decades ahead of everyone else. In 2007 you clearly surpassed Bill Gates. At the D7 discussion, we see now what you were about, while Bill Gates was spouting nonsense in response to the questions. 

Vindication is a dish best served sweet and tangy.

BTW I'm loving the 1280x800 simulated on my MacBook Pro Retina. Maybe my eyesight is slipping from 20/20 that it was, say 10 years ago, but it's like the 13" screen which I am used to, only it is 15" and everything is super crisp yet somewhat soft too. Just... unbelievable.

No, Apple is NOT listening to the "Matte movement" (insert eye-roll) Apple knows, and has ALWAYS known that glare is an issue with their modern displays. (did you seriously think they didn't?  What... Apple just never noticed??  ...Please.)  Apple made a decision (the right one), that the benefits of their newer screens outweighed the benefits of the old matte "screen surface" technology. ie, higher resolution and sharper clarity at the expense of less glare. That doesn't mean they will not continue to advance in anti-glare technology. It just means they are never going back to old 1990s style Matte screens, like "The Movement" wanted.

Suck it up.

• Reply 15 of 16
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

Glossy doesn't bother me but I've already heard from friends who were potential buyers that it's still too reflective. 

It's an improvement over the previous gloss screens, but the glare is still pretty bad. Much worse than screens I use right now.

• Reply 16 of 16
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

Glossy doesn't bother me but I've already heard from friends who were potential buyers that it's still too reflective. Will hopefully get a look at one in the flesh this weekend.

A retina MBAir would be great in the future, until then I'll stick with a retina iPad and a huge iMac

Me either, it has never bothered me on my iMac and I just bought a rMBP this afternoon.