Google unveils Android-powered 'Nexus 7' tablet starting at $199

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Asus and Google have partnered to build the new "Nexus 7," a 7-inch tablet running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean that will start at $199 when it launches in July.

The Nexus 7 features a 1,280-by-800-pixel display powered by the Nvidia Tegra 3 chipset, featuring a quad-core CPU and 12-core graphics processor. The device, built by Asus, also has a front-facing camera, and built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and near-field communications.

The 8-gigabyte model will cost $199, while a higher-capacity 16-gigabyte model will cost $249. Each will come with a $25 credit to Google Play and comes bundled with free content, including a "Transformers" film.

Google unveiled the device at its annual I/O developer conference on Wednesday, and boasted about the lightweight design of the device at 340 grams, or about the same weight as a paperback book. It also was said to get up to 9 hours of battery life when watching HD video, and 300 hours of standby time.

Reading was a major focus for Google at Wednesday's unveiling, as they showed magazines that can be viewed on the 7-inch device. In one example, interactive elements were shown in the latest issue of Shape magazine.

The Nexus 7 also offers other content from the Google Play storefront, like movies and TV shows. Google also showed off a new recommendation engine that uses widgets on the home screen to show off applications, movies, books and other content that users may be interested in purchasing.

Google also highlighted game playing on the device, which features built-in gyroscopes and accelerometers for motion control.

While the Google Nexus 7 will compete with Apple's existing 9.7-inch iPad, reports have also indicated that Apple has experimented with a smaller iPad model with a 7.85-inch display. Reports have claimed that such a device could be launched later this year with a screen resolution of 1,024 by 768 pixels.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 229

Consumers Don't Want Tablets, They Want iPads.
  • Reply 2 of 229

Wow. Bad day at the office Samsung. First the injunction against the Galaxy thanks to Apple, and now totally diss'ed as an OEM by Google. Curious to hear what this thing is like ... could spell trouble for the Kindle.

• Reply 3 of 229
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Then let the consumers decide...

I think it's a pretty sweet tablet for an excellent price. Together with all the content streaming services which were shown, the Nexus Q integration and the hardware itself, I consider myself a potential customer.

• Reply 4 of 229
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

7" is nice for portability however without a cellular option seems crippled in terms of mobile functionality. 

• Reply 5 of 229

Seems like Ice Cream Sandwich just came out and now we have Jelly Bean. I wonder if the upgrade rate will be any higher.

Will be interesting to see how this latest offering does. Looks like no cellular connections available?

• Reply 6 of 229
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member

IMHO, Apple's entry into this arena won't be an iPad but an iPod, and it'll be called the SuperTouch or some such name. It'll have retina display that will permit it to run all the non-retina iPad apps at 1x and all the iPod Touch and iPhone retina display apps at 2x. In other words, it will run hundreds of thousands of programs out of the box.

Apple is going for the jugular.

• Reply 7 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Seems like Ice Cream Sandwich just came out and now we have Jelly Bean. 

'Jelly Bean' ugh! What an awful name. It does have a lot of sophisticated features but the UI is horrible.

• Reply 8 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Past performance does not equal future results.

Nobody knows what will happen in the tablet market.

• Reply 9 of 229
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

Honestly that's a lot of value for $199. Great CPU/GPU, decent screen resolution (although I'd be worried about the quality of the screen at that price). Especially if this "Project Butter" stuff has really dealt with the dreaded Android lag.

• Reply 10 of 229
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

Google also showed off a new crapware engine that uses crapware widgets on the home screen to show off applications, movies, books and other content that users may be interested in purchasing.

There AI, I fixed it for you. At least that's what we would all call it if it were shipped with your Windows PC, so no sense calling it something else in this context.

• Reply 10 of 229
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...  The 8-gigabyte model will cost $199, while a higher-capacity 16-gigabyte model will cost $249. Each will come with a $25 credit to Google Play and comes bundled with free content, including a "Transformers" film....

I would pay a few dollars extra NOT to have this film included.  :-)

It really shows what kind of company Google is, and particularly what kind of audience Android is aimed at to include this poorly-written, poorly-acted, misogynist, over-the-top crap film on their device actually.  

I can't think of a more fitting choice of film to include for free. 

• Reply 12 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

'Jelly Bean' ugh! What an awful name. It does have a lot of sophisticated features but the UI is horrible.

Mountain lion, leopard, and cheetah are great names on the other hand.

• Reply 13 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

There AI, I fixed it for you. At least that's what we would all call it if it were shipped with your Windows PC, so no sense calling it something else in this context.

You could remove it and it part of the playstore app. Its similar to someone complaining about the stocks application on an iphone

• Reply 14 of 229
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Google's been very busy this year.
  • Reply 15 of 229
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I would pay a few dollars extra NOT to have this film included.  :-)

It really shows what kind of company Google is, and particularly what kind of audience Android is aimed at to include this poorly-written, poorly-acted, misogynist, over-the-top crap film on their device actually.  

I can't think of a more fitting choice of film to include for free. 

Oh come on, the first film wasn't that bad, and had some fun moments.  Now, if it's one of the next two ... eeeww!

Anyhow, I wonder how Google is managing to sell this at the same price as the Fire, with (I'm guessing here, obviously) more expensive hardware.  Amazon already loses, what, $10-$15 per unit?

• Reply 16 of 229

12 core graphics? Are those specs correct?  Regardless, again it has too little storage and NFC instead of 3g is bad comedy.

• Reply 17 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Mountain lion, leopard, and cheetah are great names on the other hand.

I'm pretty consistent on that issue as I have always complained about those names as well, especially ML which is the same cat as a Puma 10.1

• Reply 18 of 229
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member

Well at least it looks like Google just killed at least the Kindle Fire and BB Playbook. It has great hardware specs, but have to see about the experience after some reviews.

• Reply 19 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Then let the consumers decide...

I think it's a pretty sweet tablet for an excellent price. Together with all the content streaming services which were shown, the Nexus Q integration and the hardware itself, I consider myself a potential customer.

how can you not get one for that price? ordered mine.

• Reply 20 of 229
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

12 core graphics? Are those specs correct?  Regardless, again it has too little storage and NFC instead of 3g is bad comedy.

Yes, that is correct, it's the same (line?) of processor as the ASUS Transformer Prime. Again, don't play the hardware game, as the 2012 iPad was able to keep up to the transformer on many benchmarks (even surpass on a few)