Google unveils Android-powered 'Nexus 7' tablet starting at $199

Comments

• Reply 41 of 229
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

This is gunning at the Kindle Fire more than the iPad. They will release a 10" version if they want to take on Apple directly. Perhaps Google sees Android's place in the tablet market at the entry level, with 7" devices selling for $200. Maybe they plan to let Microsoft and Apple fight it out at the high end with the Surface and the iPad. After all, Samsung has been competing directly with Apple now for 2 years, and while they have had a lot of success with Android phones (outselling Apple), they have had almost no luck with their tablets.

I think this is more of a response to prevent the Kindle Fire and Nook from fragmenting Android user base.

As far as the larger tablet market goes, I would consider the Acer Iconia A700 and the ASUS Transformer Infinity to be the first serious competitors to the iPad. Everything else on store shelves have mostly been junk.

• Reply 42 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Yes, that is correct, it's the same (line?) of processor as the ASUS Transformer Prime. Again, don't play the hardware game, as the 2012 iPad was able to keep up to the transformer on many benchmarks (even surpass on a few)

Not playing, just wondering.  This implies something to me, however. Will all the Android reviews talking about how "smooth" ICS was, now recant? Since 4.1 actually had a "Project butter" effort to speed up the graphics and it STILL took a 12 core graphics processor to make it fast, this tells me that the ICS gui has serious problems.

• Reply 43 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It's happening all over again, and phandroids are clamoring for it like sheep.  At that price, build quality and performance will suffer, and once again will end up being in landfills or dusty desktop drawers.  The joe-consumer that buy it based on price will complain about the same problems all low-balled tablets had in the past, perhaps decide that the iPad must be as crappy... or a semi-smart Joe Consumer will realize that the iPad is worth the extra money for less headaches.

Phandroids here are just sad-case people to think that the general masses will "flock" to these devices.  Heard that one before countless times.

I'll go in a different direction. Will the Android users now actually buy something? They were not buying any other tablets in any appreciable quantities. Will this awesome(tracking) device finally get them to actually buy an Android tablet as opposed to just saying how great it is?

• Reply 44 of 229
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

This is going to hurt Samesung more than Amazon or Apple.  Google just killed the profit margin on all Android tablets, not that there is any profit in selling Android tablets as no one buys them.  But in terms of potential profit, there will not be any with the ceiling set at $199 by this device + the kindle.  Amazon, unlike Samesung, has content and e-commerce to back up the Kindle.

• Reply 45 of 229
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm pretty consistent on that issue as I have always complained about those names as well, especially ML which is the same cat as a Puma 10.1

I always assumed that the release of OS X after Lion would be called:  ChessyCat 

cheshire_cat-1.gif

• Reply 46 of 229
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

In a size that definitely is saying "carry me everywhere" not offering a data receiver (3G or 4G) seems a critical omission.

• Reply 47 of 229

Wow, 12-core GPU. Not that it's gonna prevent the Garbage Collection form stalling your game or anything...

• Reply 48 of 229
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

*cough cough* build quality *cough*

Asus quality has traditionally been top notch. I doubt that's going to change with this tablet.

• Reply 49 of 229
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Google Nexus 7 is a nice media tablet but not large enough for content creation like Apple iPad. Why would anyone buy this when according to the Android pundits that post here people are flocking to the Samsung Galaxy Note?

Are they really using the quad-core Tegra 3 CPU with dodeca-core PowerVR SGX540 GPU?
    No 3G or 4G data options?
    No rear-facing camera?
    No HDMI output? Sacrilege according to the Android pundits that post here.
    No MicroSD slot? Sacrilege according to the Android pundits that post here.

The [URL= Nexus 7 promotional video[/URL] looks like they swapped Google employees for Apple employees. Literally seems like they stole the concept and perhaps even the script from Apple.

How is Google supposed to track your every move without 3G/4G or is the 3G/4G connection just paid for by Google, on all the time and unusable for any content other than Google tracking?
  • Reply 50 of 229
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

I'll go in a different direction. Will the Android users now actually buy something? They were not buying any other tablets in any appreciable quantities. Will this awesome(tracking) device finally get them to actually buy an Android tablet as opposed to just saying how great it is?

All the fanatics went out and bought Android 3.x tablets as well and came on these boards and proclaimed that Apple and the iPad would be a niche device by the end of the year. How did that work out?

Sorry, I don't see Android tablets taking off ever. Android is largely seen by consumers as a mobile phone OS. Actually, I'll go one step further than that, a large majority of people who buy Android based phones are just buying phones, they don't care about the OS and probably never will. Android is not "winning" some OS war, it's merely a default on crappy phones that disinterested consumers purchase as a low entry point.

Google's Android as a platform is basically being propped up by fanboys. To date, no one else is supporting this platform.

• Reply 51 of 229

I'm convinced that with the right CEO some of the Apple fans can be convinced to run Jihad against anyone who likes another platform.

• Reply 52 of 229
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Where are all of the idiot Fandroids whining about no Flash? I read that Jellybean won't have flash. If that's true, then where are the idiot Fandroids?

I guess that flash is no longer important, all of a sudden. 

• Reply 53 of 229
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

how can you not get one for that price? ordered mine.

Easily, because it's a waste of money unless you're into not-quite-competitive apps, screens that lack the resolution to want to read & surf on, and are too small for a tablet and too big for a pocket. Otherwise I'd be all over it.

And BTW, this one is the iPad killer! :P

• Reply 54 of 229
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

This is going to hurt Samesung more than Amazon or Apple.  Google just killed the profit margin on all Android tablets, not that there is any profit in selling Android tablets as no one buys them.  But in terms of potential profit, there will not be any with the ceiling set at $199 by this device + the kindle.  Amazon, unlike Samesung, has content and e-commerce to back up the Kindle.

It's like Microsoft backstabbing their OEMs. But the current strategies aren't working for either company, so some flailing is to be expected.

• Reply 55 of 229
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member

And every Android manufacturer just said "oh shit"

Between Amazon and Google, with their subsidized tablets, there is no money left to be made selling hardware with Android. Amazon and Google can expect to make up the money on the backend through media, search and apps. The hardware makers don't have that luxury or infrastructure. This is exactly why Samsung is trying their own cloud initiatives, but it is too little, too late. There are maybe 4 or 5 companies that have the scale, infrastructure and money to sell millions of tablets at a loss and expect to make the money on the backend. Amazon and Google are two and are trying it now. Apple is another, but doesn't need to take a bath on the hardware. MS is another but it seems like they will try instead to make a moderate margin on the hardware; we'll have to wait and see how that works out for them. The only other company I can think of might be Sony and they are too broken and schizophrenic to do it successfully.

In the Android community, basically, it is going to come down to whether you are given the Nexus brand for a season or not. If you are, you win for that year, with modest income from google to manufacture the hardware. If not, then you have to seriously consider how long you are willing to burn cash.

• Reply 56 of 229
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Bet it is loaded with revenue generating stuff from Google.  How long till the OS is hacked and can be reloaded with a modified version to remove all the Google revenue addon's??

• Reply 57 of 229
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

Not playing, just wondering.  This implies something to me, however. Will all the Android reviews talking about how "smooth" ICS was, now recant? Since 4.1 actually had a "Project butter" effort to speed up the graphics and it STILL took a 12 core graphics processor to make it fast, this tells me that the ICS gui has serious problems.

Yes, I've heard the same too. "ICS is smooth!" well maybe compared to older Android version, but when I got my G-Nex for work I thought it was laggy compared to my 4S. So maybe they fixed the GUI thread problem, and threw hardware at it to make it up to par with the 4S/new iPad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

Wow, 12-core GPU. Not that it's gonna prevent the Garbage Collection form stalling your game or anything...

Android's garbage collection is quite bad, I mean, if it worked properly, it would have thrown itself out by now.

• Reply 58 of 229
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    If Jelly Bean is really smooth as they say (that was the main critic to android), it will objectively blow iOS6 out of the water. What single feature iOS has that this has not?
  • Reply 59 of 229
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm pretty consistent on that issue as I have always complained about those names as well, especially ML which is the same cat as a Puma 10.1

Several of the cat names are basically the same cat.  Jaguars are just a different kind of Leopard etc.

The minute they included Snow Leopard it was obvious that they aren't going by taxonomy but by popular names.  

• Reply 60 of 229
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

If Jelly Bean is really smooth as they say (that was the main critic to android), it will objectively blow iOS6 out of the water. What single feature iOS has that this has not?

You you are comparing the hypothetical improvements of an unreleased OS to the unknown improvements of an unreleased OS?

Good luck.