Google to take on Apple TV with $299 'Nexus Q'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Yep - though there were a couple of differences:

1. You need to have iTunes running on a Mac/PC somewhere. With this, you don't. Not really a big deal, as who doesn't have a Mac or PC that will have a Nexus Q?

2. You could only request and vote on songs in the library belonging to that Mac/PC, not from your own library. The Q allows you to add songs from your phone.

A slight advantage, but not worth $200 extra dollars for the Q. For $200 the party host with the AppleTV can buy any requested song and add it to his library on the spot.

And enough to buy an iPod Touch, too, for guests to make requests and vote upcoming songs up/down in Party Mode (or whatever Apple calls it).

Also, Apple TV will stream songs from an iPhone or iPad (maybe not vote on them), as well as direct from ITunes Match I believe; so a Mac or PC is not technically needed.

And I wonder which will end up with the most quality apps? (Academic for now, but...)

• Reply 22 of 109
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member

I know this is almost irrelevant to the topic at hand but does anyone else find it strange that a company as big as Google always uses such generic, corporate presentation-sounding music in the background of their marketing videos (as is the case with the one posted above)? I mean, c'mon guys. Spend some of that money you're sitting on. License some decent music for this stuff. 

• Reply 23 of 109
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

This is NOT the normal price the device will cost. Everyone in the tech press is getting it wrong it seems. It’s not the normal shape/size either.

$299 is specifically for this Big Lebowski Special Edition version.

...More like the Big Lewinski...

• Reply 24 of 109
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member

$300??? LULZ

FAIL!

• Reply 25 of 109
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

How is this thing more expensive than the Nexus 7? It has a crappier processor, no screen, but lots of ports... but $100 difference?

Exactly.  This thing should have been $199 at MOST.  I also think the Apple TV is underpriced- but I'm not complaining.  Roku is still the best box out there if you aren't invested in the Apple Ecosystem.... so $89 for more- or THREE HUNDRED for less?  They're out of their minds.

• Reply 26 of 109
    roberteroberte Posts: 10member
    Really $299? Wow let me see get three apple TV's, even more Roku's or one of these... let me think... no wait it's hard to decide...
  • Reply 27 of 109
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Oh, I get the $299 now. With NFC support, you'll be able to check in at the airport or pay at $tarbuks with your Nexus Q, merely after finding a spare power outlet. And Googs will get to catalog all of the NFC-enabled devices that come and go in your house, for an added sense of privacy that only Googs can provide.

• Reply 28 of 109
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

$300 worth of fail.

• Reply 29 of 109
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    $299?! Have it at suckers.
  • Reply 30 of 109

Made in the U.S.A. Contrary to Apple: Made in China

• Reply 31 of 109

Apparently, Google wants to get into the hardware business -- because it is so easy and you make lots of money... that is, if you know what to do and can execute!

The Nexus 7 tablet and Nexus Q (whatever it is) are not reference designs for Google's OEM Partners -- unlike the GoogleTV before them -- these are Google products (with outsourced manufacturing).

What does this mean for sales, service and support?  

I guess you'll be able to buy these (tablets and "Q') at BestBuy et al.  (Maybe they got "Q" from the James Bond movies).

If it breaks:

-- where do you take/send it for repair/replacement?

-- who do you call for support/service?

-- how do you backup and recover your data?

There is a lot more to a successful social/personal-data "product" than just hardware and software.

Based on what I've read, Google has no (or a very poor) track record in the marketing, distribution, repair and support areas -- and, AFAIK, lacks the infrastructure to perform these necessary services for consumer hard goods.

A simple "replacement" policy is off-putting to the consumer if he has invested time and data in setting up the device -- then has to start from scratch on a replacement device?

$200 is not a lot of money, but it is not something to throw away either.

If I cannot backup and restore my data, contacts, etc. the device is of little value -- and I certainly would not entrust these to Google!

• Reply 32 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Implying what, exactly? That Google can't even manage to copy that correctly? :lol:
  • Reply 33 of 109
    nofear1aznofear1az Posts: 209member

For $300.... I put the Nexus Q right there with the Dyson Air Multiplier Fan.  Both overly priced for what they do. 

Feels like deja vu with the Logitech Revue Google TV and it's now at $99

• Reply 34 of 109
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

i have to say, this product at that price is simply absurd. what in the world is Google thinking??

hint to Google: if you're looking for a pitiful 25W wired speaker set - which no one does anymore except for desktop computer setups - you don't need a separate amp. most are self-powered units now, available at all price levels and qualities.

another hint: the future of home setups is all wireless. bluetooth at least. AirPlay at best.

this would have been a really cool product - in 1998.

• Reply 35 of 109
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

Yeah, and we'll see how many of the big mouthed liars who claim that they will pay more for USA made products will actually buy this.

• Reply 36 of 109
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobnoble View Post

It's kind of like an Apple TV, but for only 3 times the cost.

Brilliant.

Don't forget, you also need to buy the tablet as the remote control.

• Reply 37 of 109
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

I saw a "Made in USA" on the circuit board but did they actually say the whole thing is made in USA?

• Reply 38 of 109
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Here a model poses with the Gantz..sorry...the "Nexus Q':

gantz_live_action_scan_01.jpg

• Reply 39 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I saw a "Made in USA" on the circuit board but did they actually say the whole thing is made in USA?

Yeah, I wonder where the chips, SSDs, RAM, capacitors, etc. are made!

• Reply 40 of 109
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

As a longtime Apple TV owner, and infrequent user, I have often pondered, as did Steve RIP, if Apple TV is worth $99... Memo to Google.