Google to take on Apple TV with $299 'Nexus Q'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 109
    I can't stop shaking my head back and forth. They are as stupid as Microsoft.
  • Reply 42 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    bdkennedy wrote: »

And then Microsoft sues Google for copying.
  • Reply 43 of 109
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy View Post

I don't know. What they showed doesn't make sense by itself. Perhaps they plan on making it into a gaming platform too. Google seems desperate to get into everything. They have so many irons in the fire they can't possibly finish anything. I guess their core business model, advertising, might be starting to show signs of weakness, because they certainly are trying really hard to get a piece of everyone else's business.

• Reply 44 of 109
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    I have 3 Apple TVs and they are used every day for streaming TV shows, movies and music. They are also great for AirPlay and are used often by my friends when they show pictures or video clips from their phones as its much better than crowding round a phones screen. Even if you are invested in Googles ecosystem it's still cheaper and arguably better to use a Roku.
  • Reply 45 of 109
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't know. What they showed doesn't make sense by itself. Perhaps they plan on making it into a gaming platform too. Google seems desperate to get into everything. They have so many irons in the fire they can't possibly finish anything. I guess their core business model, advertising, might be starting to show signs of weakness, because they certainly are trying really hard to get a piece of everyone else's business.

Bill Gates and Eric Schmidt are seated at a restaurant.  

A waiter approaches, introduces himself, and asks; "What can I get for you?".

Bill says: "The same thing I had last time!".

Eric says: "I'll just take half of his!".

• Reply 46 of 109

The currently shipping version of Apple TV doesn't require a computer at all. It is totally self-running. Hopefully a future OS or hardware update will allow users to download apps like other iOS devices.

• Reply 47 of 109
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't know. What they showed doesn't make sense by itself. Perhaps they plan on making it into a gaming platform too. 

The thing doesn't make any sense at all.  

• They went to the trouble of implementing a solid class D amp to be paired with decent $400 triad speakers and have no audio inputs of any kind. Yah, input selection would have been required but WTF, you need an android device anyway to run the thing.  But hell, if I have this thing next to my HDTV with it's craptastic speakers maybe I'd like to use the audio from this $700 combo instead?  They could have dropped the ethernet for optical/analog line-in.

• It's freaking $300 and completely locked into Google Play.  No netflix, no hulu, no nothing.

• There's no airplay.  If there was AirPlay like functionality between JellyBean and the Q it would make some sense even at $300.  A bit pricey but understandable given it might be able to be a game system.

• Despite the fact that it supports YouTube, Play Movie & TV and has HDMI out it strikes me as very audio centric.  As in, designed by an audio geek that tossed in some video features because it was required.  Kinda like someone started out to beat the crap out of Sonus and then tacked on YouTube at the end.  It sure does beat a Sonus Connect:Amp ($499) but is slaughtered by a Roku 2 XD $79 for video or the aTV for either (given the iTunes audio ecosystem).

This thing is going to sell like the iPod Hi-Fi.

• Reply 48 of 109
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    I'd say the Vizio Google TV at $100 makes a bit more sense:

[VIDEO]

It has gaming, apps, streaming, browsing etc. Everything the ?TV could and should have already.
  • Reply 49 of 109
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Quote:

Originally Posted by b9bot View Post

This is as expensive as there first attempt with Logitech for $699!!

No thank you.

But Fandroids will be telling everyone how this is the best thing out there, and that it's "open", and that it'll stick it to the man, and... uh... <insert more propaganda here>....

But what I really want to know is.... will Kevin Bacon be in the advertisement???

• Reply 50 of 109
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    [quote]Yeah, and we'll see how many of the big mouthed liars who claim that they will pay more for USA made products will actually buy this.
    [/quote]

Based on the linked article, 2 to 5 percent of the iPhone cost is labor cost. So if we assume that the labor cost for this Q device increased the percentage to 10% - 20% based on "Made in USA", it still doesn't justify the ridiculous price tag. More likely, it's Google's lack of acumen in manufacturing and it certainly doesn't help the "Made in USA" cause.

[URL=http://www.asymco.com/2012/02/22/the-iphone-manufacturing-cost-structure/]http://www.asymco.com/2012/02/22/the-iphone-manufacturing-cost-structure/[/URL]
  • Reply 51 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

This is NOT the normal price the device will cost. Everyone in the tech press is getting it wrong it seems. It’s not the normal shape/size either.

$299 is specifically for this Big Lebowski Special Edition version.

its manufactured in the united states. so it costs more. is it worth it? no sure. but i do like it. after researching it some more i may get one.

• Reply 52 of 109
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

But Fandroids will be telling everyone how this is the best thing out there, and that it's "open", and that it'll stick it to the man, and... uh... <insert more propaganda here>....I

I thought it was strange when they said ..."and it has a USB port to allow 'Hacking' we like to support that"

• Reply 53 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

But Fandroids will be telling everyone how this is the best thing out there, and that it's "open", and that it'll stick it to the man, and... uh... <insert more propaganda here>....

But what I really want to know is.... will Kevin Bacon be in the advertisement???

its a neat device. apple is for the geriatrics at heart and the just plain old people.

• Reply 54 of 109
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

This is what you get when you let engineers design a product.

A solution in search of a problem.

• Reply 55 of 109
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

its a neat device. apple is for the geriatrics at heart and the just plain old people.

Right... and next thing is that Google will label this as a "hobby" too... </s>

• Reply 56 of 109
    gqb wrote: »
    This is what you get when you let engineers design a product.

Oh, is this case an extension of the 'spherical chicken' problem?
  • Reply 57 of 109
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

I have to say that I don't understand this thing at all.

As GQB said, it's a solution is search of a problem.  And for $300?!  Come on.

• Reply 58 of 109

I have to agree with an earlier post: wtf is NFC doing on this thing?

• Reply 59 of 109
    wtf is NFC doing on this thing?

It helps us be more social! Welcome! To… to the social, that is. Hop right on up and start spooning with the social. Let the social feed you individual peeled grapes.
  • Reply 60 of 109
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

I know this is almost irrelevant to the topic at hand but does anyone else find it strange that a company as big as Google always uses such generic, corporate presentation-sounding music in the background of their marketing videos (as is the case with the one posted above)? I mean, c'mon guys. Spend some of that money you're sitting on. License some decent music for this stuff. 

I've watched the video twice already and I still don't quite get what the product is even all about.  It's a big marketing fail from the word go in that like most of Google's stuff, it's only really for geeks despite the "Apple-esque" mock simplicity of the advert.  

No way in hell anyone who isn't a serious geek will ever buy something like this.  

Is it a stereo?  Will it connect to my stereo?  Maybe the TV?  

I know the information is all there for those of us who deal with this crap all the time and are skilled at teasing it out, but the advert does not explain much of anything that the average consumer will be able to understand.  

AppleTV on the other hand is obvious, it's purpose is clear, and setup is something your grandma could do.