'Project Butter' to improve responsiveness in Android 4.1 Jelly Bean

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member

Hey AppleInsider, I come here for news about APPLE and iOS, NOT about Google and Android.

I guess it's time to find a new news source free of all the Android crap.

• Reply 22 of 109
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Anecdotes are cool like that. You can throw out as many "for me" and "my friends" experiences as you want without them having to have any real basis market-wide. 

Tell that to all the 3GS users after they updated to iOS5 image

• Reply 23 of 109
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Apple would it call bug fix or a service release. Google want you to think it's a feature not to have lag, and so they call it "Project Butter" - a laughable euphemism.

It's funny because this is what's actually happening. They're spinning it like it's a grand innovation. 

But then, there is almost NO WAY that an OS that is whored out to every OEM and their dog can perform as well and as consistently as one that is controlled, along with the software, under one roof. Google was destined to face this problem. And you can bet that in terms of these basics, Android will *still* not be on the level of iOS when this "project" is over. 

OS optimization between horizontal and vertical business models is a mismatched fight to begin with. 

• Reply 24 of 109
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Tell that to all the 3GS users after they updated to iOS5 image

It is nowhere in the same ballpark. The 3GS is a three year old device (that is *still* supported by Apple, by the way.)

iOS' "fragmentation" (if you can call it that) is Google's wet-dream. 

• Reply 25 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

So Google admits Android 4.0 and earlier are slower than iOS?

Sure, just like Apple admitted Android had a better notifcation system for years.

• Reply 26 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    fredaroony wrote: »
    lol it's not like the iPhone has never had lag…

My first gen lags with iOS 5 on it, but it's beautiful with 3.1.3.

And Android 1.6 (which is supposed to be pretty slim, isn't it? It's bereft of many of the features that Android users 'demand' be in their phones) on the same hardware (same device, actually) is utter crap.
    fredaroony wrote: »
    Tell that to all the 3GS users after they updated to iOS5 :lol:

Oh, you meant the three year old device that gets modern software? As opposed to the modern devices that don't even get three year old software, that is. Now, which ones were those… ah, Android devices. That's right.
  • Reply 27 of 109

One of the first devices to sport Jelly Bean will be Google's own Nexus 7, a 7-inch tablet announced on Wednesday that hopes to nibble at the iPad's massive marketshare

You're right, all if will do is nibble, like a little baby rabbit on a mill9ion foot high tree

• Reply 28 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

My first gen lags with iOS 5 on it, but it's beautiful with 3.1.3.

Weird, because my iPhone 3G occassionally lagged with the original OS, but then became practically unusable (and I mean that without an ounce of hyperbole) with iOS 4.

• Reply 29 of 109
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Hmmmm I don't recall punching in the URL for androidinsider.com

Hmm.   I don't recall enabling that option that let's any jerk off the street comment on Apple Insider.    And yet, here you are.

On a more serious note, do you really not think hearing about Apple's competition will help you appreciate Apple's products more?    Or would you prefer to just stick your fingers in your ears and shout la-la-la-la-la - I can't hear you!

• Reply 30 of 109

I like this Google-IO-insider.com site. Great updates from the Google conference.

The site design and layout is crap though.

• Reply 31 of 109
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Hmmm, 

I wonder what features from Jelly Bean we will see Apple "Borrow" in iOS7. Just like Apple does with every android release. 

Multi-tasking, voice commands, pull down notification, sharing, attatching photos in e-mail without going to gallery, turn by turn navigation, etc. 

• Reply 32 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

So Google admits Android 4.0 and earlier are slower than iOS?

Improving a product doesn't mean they're admitting it's slower than their competitors.

I don't see why there's so much hate over this. By doing this, they're making it super easy for OEMs to update from ICS to JB and are improving the overall experience and reducing perceived lag to the end user.

Props to Google for focusing on this again.

This will be like the bump from 2.1 to 2.2 with the JIT compiler.

• Reply 33 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Hmmm, 

I wonder what features from Jelly Bean we will see Apple "Borrow" in iOS7. Just like Apple does with every android release. 

Multi-tasking, voice commands, pull down notification, sharing, attatching photos in e-mail without going to gallery, turn by turn navigation, etc. 

What?!

Apple totally invented the pull down notifications. That was new and totally innovative!

• Reply 34 of 109
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's funny because this is what's actually happening. They're spinning it like it's a grand innovation. 

But then, there is almost NO WAY that an OS that is whored out to every OEM and their dog can perform as well and as consistently as one that is controlled, along with the software, under one roof. Google was destined to face this problem. And you can bet that in terms of these basics, Android will *still* not be on the level of iOS when this "project" is over. 

OS optimization between horizontal and vertical business models is a mismatched fight to begin with. 

Whored out?    Climb down from the ledge.   You're getting dizzy.   MacOS X itself, is based on FreeBSD - an open source version of Unix/Linux.  And yet Apple has been able to make something quite nice out of it.   I won't assume that Google can't do the same.

• Reply 35 of 109
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I kinda expected the 3GS to lag when updating to iOS5. But who expects their newly released Tegra 3, quad core phone to lag? That's just sad.
  • Reply 36 of 109

I have used an original iPad and then tried the iPad 2. The iPad 2 had quicker response and a better feel. So why nag about Android getting an update that makes it better? It is probably true for many people that their older Android device was not up to iOS quality regarding lag time. All we can do is observe what comes out next month. Will it put Android screen response on par with iOS devices? We shall see.

For all of the people who claim that competition is good for all of us, embrace the improvements on both sides whether they are on your device or a different brand. I hope Android becomes awesome and Apple too.

I want all companies to keep trying to do better than their competitors, even if it means some companies go out of business (RIM). Each one that creates something great will have its time in the sun. Right now it is Apple. A decade ago it was Microsoft. Blackberry was at the top five years ago, Nokia too. Apple has what it takes now. If Google could find some type of congruency with all of its products and decide upon a clear path it would commit to, they could take over the lead even in the computer market. Just give them time.

• Reply 37 of 109
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The product should be an ideal testbed for Butter as it uses an NVIDIA Tegra 3 quad-core CPU and 12-core GPU chipset to power a high-resolution 1,280-by-800 pixel display. According to Google's own website, the system will allow for animations of up to 60 frames per second and can chew through edge-to-edge 720p video.

Um, 1280x800 sounds decidedly low res at this point? Chewing through edge-to-edge 720p is similarly unimpressive.

Come to think of it, why is a raw marketing blurb even posted here?

• Reply 38 of 109
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Hey AppleInsider, I come here for news about APPLE and iOS, NOT about Google and Android.

I guess it's time to find a new news source free of all the Android crap.

Oh relax..... occasionally, it's fine, I think.

I have a good belly laugh reading many of the comments (and the pathetic -- and I am guessing paid -- fandroid attempts at rebuttals and comebacks).image

• Reply 39 of 109
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I kinda expected the 3GS to lag when updating to iOS5. But who expects their newly released Tegra 3, quad core phone to lag? That's just sad.

My One X has a tegra 3 and I havent noticed any lag at all.

• Reply 40 of 109
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Hmmm, 

A touch based UI? Smooth scrolling and animation? Or maybe Flash Player support? Hahahaha... get it?