Google to take on Apple TV with $299 'Nexus Q'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 109
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

its manufactured in the united states. so it costs more. is it worth it? no sure. but i do like it. after researching it some more i may get one.

I didn't watch the event so I don't know if Google is actually arguing this as a selling point, but if they are, they are insane.  

In case they didn't notice, the market is the whole world now.  "Made in USA" is a negative, anywhere else but the USA.  Not just for the general hatred of the US that one runs into around the world, but simply because a consumer in Europe is not going to want to pay triple for their goods so the USA can feel more macho.  

Despite the xenophobic rhetoric, most of the USA also probably doesn't want to pay triple for the privilege either.   

• Reply 62 of 109
    bb1970bb1970 Posts: 4member
    Except for Facebook, the incorporation of social in media devices is TOTALLY overblown and simply will not fly. I don't wanna interact with friends and move playlists around etc. It's yet another learning curve, and it depends on those said friends to also be knowledgable and WANT to interact. They usually don't.
  • Reply 63 of 109
    amoradalaamoradala Posts: 146member
    One of the main 'selling points' was,

"It allows your friends to control the music in your living room!"

???.
  • Reply 64 of 109
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

One of the main 'selling points' was,

"It allows your friends to control the music in your living room!"

???.

yep... just what I want... people walking in and crowdsourcing the music playing in my house....

• Reply 65 of 109
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Knowing Google's track record -- The Nexus Q's objective is not for you to watch Google content, rather for Google to watch you! 

It likely has a camera and other tracking mechanisms that determine who you are, what you are doing and uploads it all to Google's servers...

According to Eric Schmidt:  "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place."

• Reply 66 of 109
    jbhoulejbhoule Posts: 20member

Sure, this is going to work.image

Next!

• Reply 67 of 109

I've just worked out what it reminds me of...

Marvin-movie.jpg

Marvin the paranoid android....

• Reply 68 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

Made in the U.S.A. Contrary to Apple: Made in China

@ 0:34

http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/bbt43l/ralphie-may---date-night

• Reply 69 of 109
    vqrovqro Posts: 66member

If there ever was a time to say it... this is it:  This is going to be DOA.

• Reply 70 of 109
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

The "Q" is priced out of the market and has functionality that falls short. I sense a big flop on this one.

• Reply 71 of 109
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Yeah, I'm going to pay $299 to watch a Google brainiac peel a banana and let friends and family mess with my playlists.

002.jpg

She was a real beauty in that classic film.

• Reply 72 of 109
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What is it with these companies always making sure to include some Brit dude when describing their products? And if the dude isn't British he for sure has a shaved head. :lol:
  • Reply 73 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'd say the Vizio Google TV at $100 makes a bit more sense:

It has gaming, apps, streaming, browsing etc. Everything the ?TV could and should have already.

I always love demos of an inexpensive box @$100 connected to a $1000+ video output source.

• Reply 74 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What is it with these companies always making sure to include some Brit dude when describing their products? And if the dude isn't British he for sure has a shaved head. image

It must be a subtle envy tag on Ivy.

• Reply 75 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Based on the linked article, 2 to 5 percent of the iPhone cost is labor cost. So if we assume that the labor cost for this Q device increased the percentage to 10% - 20% based on "Made in USA", it still doesn't justify the ridiculous price tag. More likely, it's Google's lack of acumen in manufacturing and it certainly doesn't help the "Made in USA" cause.

http://www.asymco.com/2012/02/22/the-iphone-manufacturing-cost-structure/

So much for all the folks who justify overpriced products by bleating "You get what you pay for".

• Reply 76 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

apple is for the geriatrics at heart and the just plain old people.

I'm not sure that is true.  Lots of folks crow that Apple devices are able to be used by toddlers.

• Reply 77 of 109
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Nevermind, already posted.

• Reply 78 of 109
    I've just worked out what it reminds me of...

LL

Marvin the paranoid android....

Isn't he a moderator?
  • Reply 79 of 109
    nagromme wrote: »
    This is NOT the normal price the device will cost. Everyone in the tech press is getting it wrong it seems. It’s not the normal shape/size either.

$299 is specifically for this Big Lebowski Special Edition version.

Because, hey man, it really ties the room together.
  • Reply 80 of 109
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

I don't think this is taking on Apple TV.  That's what the cheaper Sony/Logitech/etc. Google TV devices are for.  In the long run, Google's probably aiming to get Google TV as an OS directly on TV...like Sony is now doing.  This device, I'm just not sure what the niche.  It seems to be an answer to a question nobody asked.

As for the price.  Google says its fully, "Made in the USA."  I'm guessing that has more than a little to do with the pricing.