Google says 12 Android devices activated every second, 400M to date

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Google announced during its I/O conference on Wednesday that activations of Android-powered devices had hit the 400 million unit mark as the company sees an average activation rate of 12 smartphones or tablets per second amounting to some 1 million each day.

The staggering numbers were revealed as part of a blog post from Google Senior Vice President of Mobile and Digital Content Andy Rubin who was commenting on the plethora of announcements made during company's I/O conference keynote.

From the post:
More than 400 million Android devices have now been activated—up from 100 million last June. And twelve new Android devices are activated every every second—that?s more than 1 million a day.
In a rare tweet from the SVP noted by Business Insider two weeks ago and primarily meant to quash rumors of his departure from Google, Rubin let slip that over 900,000 Android devices were being activated daily. That number is up from December 2011 estimates that pegged the rate at 700,000 per day.

Android Activations
Google's Director of Product Management Hugo Barra reveals Android
activation rate at I/O 2012. | Source: Google

Rubin's statistics are of note given that a recent study from comScore showed Android smartphone share dipping during the month of April. The report Google's share of the market slip from 51 percent at the beginning of April to 50.8 percent by the end of the month while iOS gained ground over the same period.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...  Rubin's statistics are of note given that a recent study from comScore showed Android smartphone share dipping during the month of April. ...

This isn't remarkable at all given that the ComScore report is US only and Google's own "heat map" at this very event indicates that all their growth is in the middle east and the third world.  

• Reply 2 of 68
    thehectathehecta Posts: 77member

How many iPhones to date? 

• Reply 3 of 68
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

And how many Android devices are returned, broken, thrown out window, etc...

• Reply 4 of 68
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member

Is this GoogleInsider? I'm confused.

• Reply 5 of 68
    madgoatmadgoat Posts: 21member

How many are "free" and how many are chinese knockoffs?

• Reply 6 of 68
    vqrovqro Posts: 66member

"12 smartphones or tablets"

Ummm... it's probably 11.99999999999 smartphones and .000000000001 tablets every second.

• Reply 7 of 68
    Google only apparently counts devices that can access the Google store. So the really cheap devices won't even be counted.

That said, if you add up sales for the top Android devices (Galaxy phones, HTC One, DROID and so on) and you come up with a fraction of that 1 million figure. Which begs the question: which devices make up the rest?
  • Reply 8 of 68
    jwdavjwdav Posts: 36member

I'd love to see the breakout of that number by manufacturer and model ...

• Reply 9 of 68
    sflocal wrote: »
    And how many Android devices are returned, broken, thrown out window, etc...

Petty comment; same argument could be made for any device, bag of chips or soda bottle.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Yeah but is google making money on the hardware sold? no they are not. What the average person doesn't understand is that Android is a free, off the shelf OS. You can play with Android as an OEM as long as you follow Google's rules.
    Samsung, HTC, ect all have mutually exclusive balance sheets. LOL!
    Apple makes the hardware and the software. Apple pays their own advertising etc so please spare me.
    If google wants to impress me they should sell their Android on their hardware with no OEMs in the mix. So until they grow some REAL BALLS Google can go straight to hell.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    docjreydocjrey Posts: 11member

Efff wackdroid!

• Reply 12 of 68
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Google says 12 Android devices activated every second, 400M to date

Which includes the good, the bad, and the downright ugly. 

Great statistic, Google. YOU CAN KEEP IT. 

• Reply 13 of 68
    bossdogbossdog Posts: 1member

Who cares? 

• Reply 14 of 68
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Is this GoogleInsider? I'm confused.

It's perfectly reasonable to post stories about direct competitors.

• Reply 15 of 68
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Google only apparently counts devices that can access the Google store. So the really cheap devices won't even be counted.
    That said, if you add up sales for the top Android devices (Galaxy phones, HTC One, DROID and so on) and you come up with a fraction of that 1 million figure. Which begs the question: which devices make up the rest?

Clearly, they're including every POS phone that uses Android. And since Android is free, it is often used on POS phones.

Frankly, I couldn't care less if they had a billion phones. I've never seen one that I wanted to own.
  • Reply 16 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's perfectly reasonable to post stories about direct competitors.

Waiting for the D-Link, Belkin, and Cisco news for competing routers of the Airport.

• Reply 17 of 68
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwdav View Post

I'd love to see the breakout of that number by manufacturer and model ...

and Android Version...

• Reply 18 of 68
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Waiting for the D-Link, Belkin, and Cisco news for competing routers of the Airport.

To be fair, routers aren't as nearly as interesting and influential on tech lifestyle as mobile devices. 

• Reply 19 of 68
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member

And all 400 million of them are running a different version of Android!! Zing!!! image

• Reply 20 of 68
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member

And each activation is worth $.10 to Google over the lifetime of that phone   

Google makes essentially $0 from Android.  And their overall mobile revenue is about to decrease substantially as Apple keeps reducing the number of Google powered iOS services on iOS.   And, as it continues to move the user experience to apps which do not use/rely on Google Web search.  That is reality  

Also, question - do these activation numbers include Amazon Fire?