Google Nexus 7 seen as threat to Microsoft Surface, not Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    hobbit wrote: »
    Do people realize that the Nexus 7 could be a real threat to the iPod touch?

I think Google knows it cannot dethrone the iPad 3 any time soon, but it can eat up Apple's market share from the bottom up.

FOr $199 the Nexus 7 has the same 8GB memory as the iPod touch but offers an SD expansion.

It also has a much larger screen, and offers an IPS panel which is superior to the iPod's current display.  And the Nexus has a quad-core CPU with Tegra 3 GPU, which at least on paper sound better than what the iPod touch offers for that price.

I am sure the casual gamer who might consider an iPod touch could be persuaded to go with a Nexus 7 instead.   Why would people go for an iPod touch if they can have so much more for the same price?

This I think is also a reason why the Nexus does not come with an 3G/4G option.

It is intended to compete with the iPod, which does not offer that either.

I'd say it's definitely a threat to the Etch A Sketch too!
  • Reply 22 of 127
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I think Apple could make things very interesting with the introduction of iPad 4th generation in 1Q2013.
    Should we expect iPad 2 at USD $299 with iPad 3rd generation at USD $399 and iPad 4th generation at USD $499?

I think if they keep the iPad 2 it will be for institution bulk buys only (ie schools and such). They want consumers to have the newer stuff because it is easier to support.

As for the list of possible features, more storage might happen and if the tech is there I think 802.11ac is very probable as Apple seems to be pushing iCloud and wifi sync. As well as AirPlay.
  • Reply 23 of 127
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    So we have a Google Nexus 7" tablet with with maximum 16 GB (no SD Card), Wi-Fi only, no retina display, and no rear facing camera. Seriously, Google has reduced the Fandroids to saying it's going to hurt sales of the iPod Touch, and that not believable either.
  • Reply 24 of 127
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    I doubt seriously that it is a competitor to the Surface.

I agree. The Pro model is aimed at the netbook market. And the ARM based consumer tablet is a '10 inch' compared to the Nexus being 7, so folks will expect a slightly higher price. Something these 'experts' failed to consider.
  • Reply 25 of 127
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'd say it's definitely a threat to the Etch A Sketch too!

Yeah, most definitely.  

Especially since the Nexus has a dramatically inferior battery life than the Etch-A-Sketch...

• Reply 26 of 127
    brian ward wrote: »
    The Nexus 7 is competing for the lower-income, periphery tablet user, book reading, buy your parents a tablet, just want a cheap portable Netflix player, I don't want a big dang iPad to carry around crowd, whoever that may be.  So it is some iPad people, some Surface people, and a whole boatload of Amazon Fire folks.

Nope on the 'some iPad people'. Because folks that feel that way were never going to buy an iPad in the first place. So they are iPad people.

These analysts talk about how the iPad is losing marketshare because it went from 90% to 75% and miss that sales are actually up. The drop in percentage is because the total market went up thanks to this flood of attempted iPad killers, not that the iPad went down.

And even when it is more like 50% share there are likely 100 other tablets sharing the other 50, with most of those sharing something like 5% combined.
  • Reply 27 of 127
    markbyrn wrote: »
    A gimmick notebook with Windows 8 that can't run Windows 8 phone apps plus no price or ship date. The biggest threat to the Surface isn't Android or iOS - it's Ballmer.

Is that his 'if only I had a sexy British accent then folks would think I am smart and awesome' face.
  • Reply 28 of 127
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

The Google tab will be sold in July, returned in August, then discontinued in September, then finally fire-saled in October. The Fandroids will then brag how the tablet sold out before Christmas.

Until we see price/availability of the Surface, it should be ignored.

• Reply 29 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I agree conceptually but Google's approach is actually "Ads Everywhere."

Which doesn't work either because Google makes more money from ads on iOS devices than they do from Android.

I can't figure out Google and Microsoft... willing to lose money on every tablet they make when they could just sell ads and software to iOS users and make more money.

Strange... all this just so they can say "Me Too!".

• Reply 30 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Is that his 'if only I had a sexy British accent then folks would think I am smart and awesome' face.

No, that's his 'I wish I had some real talent like that British guy at Apple' face.

• Reply 31 of 127
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

So we have a Google Nexus 7" tablet with with maximum 16 GB (no SD Card), Wi-Fi only, no retina display, and no rear facing camera. Seriously, Google has reduced the Fandroids to saying it's going to hurt sales of the iPod Touch, and that not believable either.

Yeah, right my bad, it does not have an SD card slot.  One of the Google presenters in a video mentioned it.  Ah well, should not trust those guys.

Yet Retina display or not, the Nexus admittedly has a higher resolution display than the iPod touch.

The Nexus' is a true 'HD' display (720p that is), which the iPod touch has not.

Perhaps not much of a difference, but HD vs not HD might be another one of those tick boxes that new consumer buyers check (along with dual- vs. quad-core CPU, 3.5" vs. 7" LCD and IPS vs not IPS).  

Or parents when buying toys for the kids at Christmas...

• Reply 32 of 127
    [quote]Is that his 'if only I had a sexy British accent then folks would think I am smart and awesome' face.[/quote]

No, that's his 'my Surface crashed during the demo and I looked like a clown trying to hide it' look.
  • Reply 33 of 127
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

... Keep in mind that while the iPad can be used for content creation, by far the majority of users use it for consumption. Other than very light content creation (Facebook pages, etc) which even Surface RT will be able to do, only a very tiny number of iPad users use it for serious content creation.

Of course, this is also true if we rewrite it as:

Keep in mind that while the Mac|PC can be used for content creation, by far the majority of users use it for consumption. Other than very light content creation (Facebook pages, etc) which almost any computing device will be able to do, only a very tiny number of Mac|PC users use it for serious content creation.

• Reply 34 of 127

The Fire demand is dying out because you don't get full access to Google's Play market.  So why buy a Fire, when the Nexus 7 get pretty much do everything the Fire can do and more for the same $199 price point?

• Reply 35 of 127
    gooneryoda wrote: »
    The Fire demand is dying out because you don't get full access to Google's Play market.  So why buy a Fire, when the Nexus 7 get pretty much do everything the Fire can do and more for the same $199 price point?

Exactly and to quote an article on ComputerWorld, "Google just cut [Kindle Fire's] knees off with this Nexus 7" but perhaps Amazon will start giving the Fire's away if you purchase an Amazon Prime membership. That is the whole point of the Fire - to get you to buy everything from Amazon.
  • Reply 36 of 127
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Do people realize that the Nexus 7 could be a real threat to the iPod touch?

I think Google knows it cannot dethrone the iPad 3 any time soon, but it can eat up Apple's market share from the bottom up.

FOr $199 the Nexus 7 has the same 8GB memory as the iPod touch but offers an SD expansion.

It also has a much larger screen, and offers an IPS panel which is superior to the iPod's current display.  And the Nexus has a quad-core CPU with Tegra 3 GPU, which at least on paper sound better than what the iPod touch offers for that price.

I am sure the casual gamer who might consider an iPod touch could be persuaded to go with a Nexus 7 instead.   Why would people go for an iPod touch if they can have so much more for the same price?

This I think is also a reason why the Nexus does not come with an 3G/4G option.

It is intended to compete with the iPod, which does not offer that either.

Except the iPOD touch is an iPOD, so it's very portable. You can jog with it, go to the gym with it, ride your bike with it, just put it in a pocket or armband and you're set. How silly will you look with a 7" tablet strapped to your arm at the gym. Also, the iPOD touch has a rear camera, which the Nexus 7 does not have. Not to mention it syncs perfectly with your other iOS and MAC OSX devices. I think you're short changing the advantages that the touch has. You can also pick the touch up at Amazon for $179.

• Reply 37 of 127
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Except there is no way the Surface Pro (the notebook/ultrabook alternative), is going to be priced anything lower than $800 - $900 and even then it will have somewhere between razor-thin and no margins at all.  

I doubt the Surface Pro will ever come to be. The RT version, if it ever goes anywhere, will have to rely on developers selling new versions of the same software to run on it. It will have to be the go-to device for taking notes in conference rooms and multitasking a little. It doesn't need to do everything to be a success. I was in a meeting of 20 people this week with four iPads and two laptops; two of the iPads sh/would have been Surfaces, as would one laptop. Two other players could have functioned with Surface rather than their blackberries and notepads. When you add HDMI then there is a chance of converting two more people.

And, for these people, $700-800 would be a perfect fit. Apple could only compete if they offered in-device transcription of the meeting and a good way to highlight/pare down superfluous information and add in pictures.
  • Reply 38 of 127
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member

in response to Macbook Pro's post about speculation on the iPad 4:

i think the official name is going to be "the newer iPad"

• Reply 39 of 127
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post

The Fire demand is dying out because you don't get full access to Google's Play market.  

People want access to Google Play? Why?

• Reply 40 of 127
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    I can't figure out Google and Microsoft... willing to lose money on every tablet they make when they could just sell ads and software to iOS users and make more money.

...which is precisely why they don't really want to make a lot of them, or invest particularly heavily in them. If MS uses them to kick-start the market and OEMs, they sell more licenses. If Google kick-starts the Android Tablet market, they aren't completely stuck with competitors that squeeze out their margins-- Amazon with ~everything, and Apple potentially with iAd.

I never thought I would say this... but Microsoft's strategy makes more sense than Google's!