Google to take on Apple TV with $299 'Nexus Q'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 109
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) What kind of HW is in this to account for that price? Why does it need that HW?

2) What happened to half the TVs on sale this Summer having Google TV built in?
  • Reply 82 of 109
    Made in the U.S.A. Contrary to Apple: Made in China

I doubt it was all made in the USA. Probably just assembled in the USA.

edit: Yep! Says designed and manufactured in the USA on the bottom.
  • Reply 83 of 109
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I doubt it was made in the USA. Probably just assembled in the USA.

Soli, Wired has a very in-depth look at the Q, along with a lot of opinion on whether it's got any possibilty for success. You should read it. Personally I don't have much hope for it, at least as it's done now. if Google is truly committed to improvements and feature additions on future iterations? Perhaps...

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/06/google-nexus-q-revealed/all/

• Reply 84 of 109
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Soli, Wired has a very in-depth look at the Q, along with a lot of opinion on whether it's got any possibilty for success. You should read it. Personally I don't have much hope for it, at least as it's done now. if Google is truly committed to improvements and feature additions on future iterations? Perhaps...
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/06/google-nexus-q-revealed/all/

I was just reading that this teardown article.

Interesting that the Nexus 7 is assembled in China. That US assembly is costing them dearly but without economy of scale I wonder how much of a hit to cost it really is.
  • Reply 85 of 109
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB1970 View Post

Except for Facebook, the incorporation of social in media devices is TOTALLY overblown and simply will not fly. I don't wanna interact with friends and move playlists around etc. It's yet another learning curve, and it depends on those said friends to also be knowledgable and WANT to interact. They usually don't.

You "don't wanna to interact with friends" -- that is just sad.

• Reply 86 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    orlando wrote: »
    You "don't wanna to interact with friends" -- that is just sad.

So you're fine with your friends telling you how to decorate your house, landscape your lawn, and what appliances to buy?
  • Reply 87 of 109
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    gustav wrote: »
    Yep - though there were a couple of differences:
    1. You need to have iTunes running on a Mac/PC somewhere. With this, you don't. Not really a big deal, as who doesn't have a Mac or PC that will have a Nexus Q?
    The Apple TV doesn't need iTunes or a PC/Mac. That's only necessary if you want to stream content from a library hosted on a machine. You can stream directly from the Internet (including your music library if you have iTunes Match), an iPad, or iPhone. Netflix and iTMS are two such content streaming providers but here are more.
  • Reply 88 of 109
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    For those that think this is an attempt to compete with the AppleTV, get out of the house a little! It is more like a Sonos ConnectAmp that also adds in video support for half the price. I doubt the software side is as elegant as Sonos (which could be a lot better), but if it wasn't a magic eit ball it might gain some traction.
  • Reply 89 of 109
    NFC? I am with the Patriots so AFC for me only , thank you very much!

Oh, I'm a tad compulsive so this sphere thing won't fit into my squared/rectangular decor.... ;-) I wonder which go first in the design conception stage... the 'Q' in Nexus Q or the sphere shape... Sometime people tried too hard thinking inside the box.
  • Reply 90 of 109
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

its a neat device. apple is for the geriatrics at heart and the just plain old people.

i assume you're just baiting us. because otherwise this remark is unbelievably stupid.

• Reply 91 of 109
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you're fine with your friends telling you how to decorate your house, landscape your lawn, and what appliances to buy?

That is a bad example, but yes I would ask friends for advice before doing something like that. If you cannot ask friends about something as unimportant as decorating, how do you ask them the really important things in life?

But sticking to the point, when I'm hanging out with my friends then everyone is allowed to make music requests.

• Reply 92 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

i assume you're just baiting us. because otherwise this remark is unbelievably stupid.

ha. click your heels together 3 times and say....'i wish i had a clue, i wish i had a clue, i wish i had a clue'

• Reply 93 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

ha. click your heels together 3 times and say....'i wish i had a clue, i wish i had a clue, i wish i had a clue'

you would have to be the original user of that since you have no clue whatsoever!

i'll fix the wording for you for a more general purpose... Android sucks, and it users suck more!!  Android sucks, and it users suck more!!  Android sucks, and it users suck more!!  

• Reply 94 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    orlando wrote: »
    That is a bad example, but yes I would ask friends for advice before doing something like that.

See, you don't get the choice here. They can just go ahead and make the changes… It's not "asking for advice", it's "being given advice".
  • Reply 95 of 109
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I always love demos of an inexpensive box @$100 connected to a $1000+ video output source.

Ya.. they should use a 13" CRT to demo it. image

I can't reiterate enough how much this thing SUCKS for the price.  Roku dominates the ATV in every facet if you aren't tied to the Apple Ecosystem.  ATV dominates this joke by a mile.  I'll be keeping my ATVs thanks..... or, maybe I'll sell all 3 and buy these for $900!!!!

• Reply 96 of 109
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

For those that think this is an attempt to compete with the AppleTV, get out of the house a little! It is more like a Sonos ConnectAmp that also adds in video support for half the price. I doubt the software side is as elegant as Sonos (which could be a lot better), but if it wasn't a magic eit ball it might gain some traction.

I mentioned the Sonos but if that was the target it's a huge "Who cares?"

• Reply 97 of 109
    Made in the U.S.A. Contrary to Apple: Made in China

Final assembly in the U.S.A. from foreign-sourced parts.
  • Reply 98 of 109
    dona83dona83 Posts: 14member

Apple TV 3 features at Apple TV 1 prices! 

• Reply 99 of 109
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member
    Because, hey man, it really ties the room together.

You took a stretch of a joke and made a huge save with that line. Thank you.
  • Reply 100 of 109
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member

Nice. Google is the new Microsoft. Hope it works out well for them, like Windows Vista/8/Surface. I guess "do no evil" = slavish copying. Bye Google, was nice to know ya...