'Google Now' personal assistant represents search giant's answer to Siri

Comments

• Reply 41 of 128
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So where are the people saying that Google is artificially limiting Google Now from running on phones with older versions of Android OS and arguing that there are no resources needed to run the service.

Google is artificially restricting Google Now to the latest OS version so they don't overload their servers. You believe me don't you? ;)

• Reply 42 of 128
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

Goole now makes siri look like a joke. 

I think it's spelt "ghoul".

• Reply 43 of 128
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    I use Siri almost exclusively when I drive. Handheld devices are illegal here. Having google's 1/2 second quicker response doesn't do me much good if I then have to pull over and fill out the reminders form (see YouTube link, above). I think they missed the main idea behind Siri!!
  • Reply 44 of 128
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So I have to root my phone.

Hey did you know, here in Australia, 'root' is slang for f u c k.

Well no. Not if your Nexified anyway. You can wait until next month for the OTA if you own a Wifi XOOM, Galaxy Nexus HSPA(Not sure if LTE because verizon) or Nexus S. Other than that yea, root.

The big point that really caught me with this was positions. Next to Google Now Siri sounds robotic and static(which is weird since I'm used to Apple serving people and what not), whereas "Now"(Ergo Assistant or Majel I guess) brings in a casual more human like response. Google was not a company I was expecting to give human like qualities to any of their products to be honest.

• Reply 45 of 128
    geoadmgeoadm Posts: 81member

I wonder if google ever came up with an original idea the world would collapse in on itself? Their goggles are a stupid idea imo but I thought they would be quite popular, but selling them to developers at $1500 makes you wonder about the final cost to consumers. Sounds a but like an abortion, 5% of that price would still be a far too expensive fad

• Reply 46 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Just remember, with Google you are the product!  I wouldn't want Googs knowing that that was important to me. Sure, every little piece of the picture might be innocuous but as a whole...

If you trust Google with your information, then good luck!

Oh, and I was using voice commands on my Mac many years ago but this is not what Siri is about! (You know that though - right?)

Been trusting them since Gmail came out. They have a perfect track record with my data so why shouldn't I trust them?

You trust your data with Apple too right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So I have to root my phone.

Hey did you know, here in Australia, 'root' is slang for f u c k.

For now, yes. Or you can wait a couple weeks. Up to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Hahahha.... another Googledrone is trying to tell us that Google invented Siri before Apple made it popular.

Seriously, you're delusional or you're just a TROLL.

But... they did. May 2010.

That makes me a troll how?

Quote:

I love apple as much as the next person, but as a lover of technology. Goole now makes siri look like a joke. I hope Apple comes out improves siri to make it as functional as Google now. 

That's where I'm at. I've had a lot more respect for apple post-Jobs for some reason. And can't wait for my rMBP. I'm willing to give the iphone another chance... But not until they catch up in quite a few departments. (maps being one of the bigger ones. taking away public transit wasn't smart)

• Reply 47 of 128
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Just let us follow your every move, take note of what you do there... what you buy, drink, eat, and do, and we'll wait a minute what the hell are we proposing?

That's it!  Droid heads are so gullible.  LOL!!!!
  • Reply 48 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoadm View Post

I wonder if google ever came up with an original idea the world would collapse in on itself? Their goggles are a stupid idea imo but I thought they would be quite popular, but selling them to developers at $1500 makes you wonder about the final cost to consumers. Sounds a but like an abortion, 5% of that price would still be a far too expensive fad

$1500 won't be the final price of them.

They're not due to come out until 2014 either. This is a limited trial.

And they've gone above and beyond Siri so I guess you can call it original.

• Reply 49 of 128

Quote:

I just tried this on my brothers galaxy nexus and siri looks lame now. I mean wow google. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDsOtdRtG0Q&feature=plcp

Interersting... The above video was rigged to highlight Google's advantages (as was the Apple demo of Siri at WWDC).

Most of the requests were for things that could be delivered with [Google] web searches... Maybe even cached...

Odd that they didn't request anything that required specific answers ala Wolfram...

Or involved maps...

Or played music...

Or ran apps...

...maybe Google Now can't do these things?

• Reply 50 of 128

It can, back in 2009 google voice search did those things.

• Reply 51 of 128
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Google is artificially restricting Google Now to the latest OS version so they don't overload their servers. You believe me don't you? ;)
    At least you know where I was going with that ????

Yes, that is a valid reason for a server-based service not being feasible for every device that exists.

larrya wrote: »
    I use Siri almost exclusively when I drive. Handheld devices are illegal here. Having google's 1/2 second quicker response doesn't do me much good if I then have to pull over and fill out the reminders form (see YouTube link, above). I think they missed the main idea behind Siri!!

I was thinking that those were just additional options to choose but you could be right. Either way, making it so it's not completely handsfree is an issue.
  • Reply 52 of 128

IPHONE USERS GET RIPPED OFF IPHONES GOT THE WORST SECURITY EVER  ANDROID ONLY  JUST WAIT AND SEE WHEN THE IPHONE 5 COME AND WATCH HOW MANY PEOPLE HACK THAT JUNK PHONE

• Reply 53 of 128
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It can, back in 2009 google voice search did those things.

Really? If that is the case then show me a 2009-ish Google voice search that would display a game score on an Android screen with a natural language request.
  • Reply 54 of 128
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Interersting... The above video was rigged to highlight Google's advantages (as was the Apple demo of Siri at WWDC).

Most of the requests were for things that could be delivered with [Google] web searches... Maybe even cached...

Odd that they didn't request anything that required specific answers ala Wolfram...

Or involved maps...

Or played music...

Or ran apps...

I think they are smarter than to fake the demo. I would give them the benefit of the doubt otherwise they would be shown to be completely incredible within hours since they released it to the devs,

• Reply 55 of 128
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Been trusting them since Gmail came out. They have a perfect track record with my data so why shouldn't I trust them?

You trust your data with Apple too right?

For now, yes. Or you can wait a couple weeks. Up to you.

But... they did. May 2010.

That makes me a troll how?

That's where I'm at. I've had a lot more respect for apple post-Jobs for some reason. And can't wait for my rMBP. I'm willing to give the iphone another chance... But not until they catch up in quite a few departments. (maps being one of the bigger ones. taking away public transit wasn't smart)

I think you are missing the point.  They have a perfect record stealing your data with your permission. Why on earth would a multibillion dollar company give away everything they make.  In each case it give them access to your personal data.  Access to your friends and co-workers.  They know what you do, when and how often.  They even know what your friends do and where they work and anything else they share with you by email.  They don't have to hack you because you trust them. If you have google voice, the calls are automatically transcribed and searched for data to market to you.  Ever wonder why those damn spammer seemed to know everything about you.  Because Google works for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And public transit is actually provided by a number of apps that will be integrating the new maps.  Apple doesn't say it directly but moving away from Google is about more than just the competition.  They actually believe themselves to be stuarts of your data and know who Google really is but knows the public is too blind to see.  So they just do their best to steer clear.

• Reply 56 of 128
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member

Or involved maps...

Or played music...

Or ran apps...

Several of the (non Google-official) demonstration videos indicate that it can do ALL of those things quite well... Try Googling Them.
  • Reply 57 of 128
    geoadmgeoadm Posts: 81member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

$1500 won't be the final price of them.

They're not due to come out until 2014 either. This is a limited trial.

And they've gone above and beyond Siri so I guess you can call it original.

In what way do you think above and beyond? A bit faster is all I could see from the video

• Reply 58 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Or involved maps...

Or played music...

Or ran apps...

It can, google voice search did those things back in 2009. Its just vastly improved. Siri does understand contextual speech better (more ways to ask siri questions, but google now is not far off). Everything else google now wins flat out. Google now does a better job as getting the information and displaying it and cutting out extra steps siri puts in just to be cute, oh forget about voice dictation google now destroys siri, google now picks up word for word what you say even in loud environments. 

Oh siri sounds more rigid and robot like. Google now sounds more real (I have no idea how google does this, maybe higher pitch? It would be interesting to find out)

one thing siri has an edge with is siri actually pulls date from other applications. I think everything google now does is based of google products, maps, calender, and of course search. 

• Reply 59 of 128

Quote:

I love apple as much as the next person, but as a lover of technology. Goole now makes siri look like a joke. I hope Apple comes out improves siri to make it as functional as Google now. 

Meh. 2 out of 10.

The I Love Apple, But™ post isn't very original or creative.

It's so overused on these forums by trolls, it's utterly lacking in verisimilitude.

• Reply 60 of 128
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    It's good that google has done this as it will force Apple to make Siri even better. Competition always causes companies to try and get ahead of each other and produce the best products. Just look at all the copying Samsung has done to try and compete with Apple!