Google admits Chrome bug responsible for crashing MacBook Airs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Lot of people like obviously, it's currently the most used browser.

By this logic we should all use windows!? :)

• Reply 22 of 103
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    I found the solution for this problem. Go into the Applications folder and drag the Chrome icon into the trash and select empty trash. Fixed.
  • Reply 23 of 103
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    markbyrn wrote: »
    I found the solution for this problem. Go into the Applications folder and drag the Chrome icon into the trash and select empty trash. Fixed.

And the Library/Application Support/Google and ~/Library/Application Support/Google folders, too.
  • Reply 24 of 103
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Lot of people like obviously, it's currently the most used browser.

Tried it once, that was enough, kept crashing due to sneaking in Adobe Flash crap.

Safari works fine, so does Firefox.

My MacBook remains Chrome free, don't need it, don't want it, don't care how popular it is.

• Reply 25 of 103
    hill60 wrote: »
    My MacBook remains Chrome free, don't need it, don't want it, don't care how popular it is.

I question its popularity, as well. IE is still the standard in most of the world, even though 6 has thankfully now bitten the dust.
  • Reply 26 of 103
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member

Regardless, I've made some strides in stopping to use anything Google. And I feel good about it. Reason enough for me.

• Reply 27 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Tried it once, that was enough, kept crashing due to sneaking in Adobe Flash crap.

Safari works fine, so does Firefox.

I'm using AdBlock and removed almost all plugins in all my browsers on my new Retina MacBook Pro. Web pages, let alone plugins, sully the Retina Experience™. Think about it. Native Apps vs Web Pages in your Retina device. Which would you choose? Endless scrolling through tons of words and much more ads?

The Retina Generation™ is here.

• Reply 28 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

All joking and google bashing aside, it's shocking how this can happen to os x in 2012, a gfx driver crash hasn't brought down windows since vista in what 2007? The graphics stack should simply restart without bringing down the whole os. There 's a problem here that needs to be fixed in the graphics driver, but the underlying problem which I can assume wont be fixed in ml, of the os allowing this to happen is what's really troubling here.

LOL if you think graphics issues don't case problems in Windows XP/Vista/7... :lol: Windows Vista trying to do the Retina upscale and downscale in an almost resolution-independent fashion... Good Luck to Windows. 

I can't even run 3DMark on a new PC without downloading five million things first and going through pages and pages of troubleshooting forums.

Well, I guess my time is mine to use as I see fit, but tell you what, since ditching my PC and going Xbox360/iOS/Mac for games, I have more of it.

• Reply 29 of 103
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    OS X shouldn't allow a buggy app to crash it. Apple needs to fix that too.
  • Reply 30 of 103
    misamisa Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasha Lantukh View Post

By this logic we should all use windows!? :)

Nay, this problem occurs on Windows 7 too. A couple of weeks ago Chrome updated, and has locked up dozens of times a day since. I believe it corresponds to flash, but I disable the the flash plugin. Only one other software does this (Winamp,) and it only does it while chrome is running, in which they both lockup at the same time. So something that Chrome is doing, as Winamp won't crash without Chrome being loaded. I can't duplicate the problem on a mac since I don't know of any software that triggers it. 

Just pointing out that Google Chrome's problems aren't specific to MacOS X.

• Reply 31 of 103
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Nay, this problem occurs on Windows 7 too. A couple of weeks ago Chrome updated, and has locked up dozens of times a day since. I believe it corresponds to flash, but I disable the the flash plugin. Only one other software does this (Winamp,) and it only does it while chrome is running, in which they both lockup at the same time. So something that Chrome is doing, as Winamp won't crash without Chrome being loaded. I can't duplicate the problem on a mac since I don't know of any software that triggers it. 

Just pointing out that Google Chrome's problems aren't specific to MacOS X.

But windows 7 did not crash at the kernel level.

If a program crashes, only the program should crash. If a program crashes a driver, only the driver should crash (and restart). If you can lockup the kernel using a driver this will lead to potential hacks which can run at kernel level.

• Reply 33 of 103
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mausz View Post

But windows 7 did not crash at the kernel level.

If a program crashes, only the program should crash. If a program crashes a driver, only the driver should crash (and restart). If you can lockup the kernel using a driver this will lead to potential hacks which can run at kernel level.

Yes indeed. While it's ridiculous to read that Google would be responsible for the crash (Apple is responsible for letting bad code crash the Mac...), the real issue is with security.

That said, I've seen quite a few bluescreens recently when playing games on Windows, so I wouldn't go as far as saying that Apple's worse than Microsoft nowadays. There are reasons why I own Macs and not Dells :D

• Reply 34 of 103
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Never had a problem with Chrome personally, though this does sound worrying. I see that Safari is bringing on-board a lot of Chrome's features, such as the omnibox so obviously Apple are fans of Chrome as well.

Glad to hear Google admit that there's a problem rather than ignoring it.

• Reply 35 of 103
    libdemlibdem Posts: 36member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

War is not peace. Freedom is not slavery. Ignorance is not strength.

But you are a troll.

So he's a troll just because he has a different viewpoint ?

Also, He has backed up his statement with a quote from the apple site.

What basis have you to call him a troll,expect your closed,bigoted mind?

Ad hominem attacks are banned according to the rules and regulations.

And here you are,a moderator,calling another person a troll simply because he does not agree with you.

Welcome to BigotedInsider people where the moderators want a forum of yes men to massage their egos.

• Reply 36 of 103

Let me see if I get this straight. A single, little, teeny, tiny bug in the program caused the whole flipping operating system to crash? That is beyond flipping pathetic! Fix your shit, Apple!

• Reply 37 of 103
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

The Retina Generation™ is here.

Apple Users: Living in the post-pixel world.

• Reply 38 of 103
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I agree with Google, a user space app should not be able to cause a kernel panic. If an app is constantly allocating kernel resources (e.g. memory in the video driver) and not freeing them, the kernel should detect it and kill the process.
  • Reply 39 of 103
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Apple Users: Living in the post-pixel world.

You mean: Living in the invisible pixel world.

• Reply 40 of 103
    libdem wrote: »
    So he's a troll just because he has a different viewpoint ?

Nope.
    What basis have you to call him a troll,expect your closed,bigoted mind?

1,507 posts of an anti-Apple nature on an Apple forum.
    tr1ptr0p wrote: »
    Let me see if I get this straight. A single, little, teeny, tiny bug in the program caused the whole flipping operating system to crash? That is beyond flipping pathetic! Fix your shit, Apple!

Case in point.