Adobe to end new Android Flash installs on August 15

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Steve Jobs was right on so many things, on so many levels. Vindication, is a dish best served with spicy curry. 

That was his brilliance. The ability to step back and see things for what they were, quite often long before anybody else did.

• Reply 22 of 78
    shadowxprshadowxpr Posts: 162member
    To be honest when Steve killed flash iOS devices did not have the CPU power to run it. It's not the case now or in the future with even faster hardware. The web has for the most part move to html5 but streaming live video is still flash and a big part of video also. For me it's not a problem on the iPad because I use iswifter app to see them but without it it will make the web experience on the iPad not be on par with a desktop/laptop pc IMHO...
  • Reply 23 of 78
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    shadowxpr wrote: »
    To be honest when Steve killed flash iOS devices did not have the CPU power to run it. It's not the case now or in the future with even faster hardware. The web has for the most part move to html5 but streaming live video is still flash and a big part of video also. For me it's not a problem on the iPad because I use iswifter app to see them but without it it will make the web experience on the iPad not be on par with a desktop/laptop pc IMHO...
    I rarely see Flash video players anymore. Most have moved to HTML5. Even on that, Adobe finally gave in and added support for HTTP streaming to their Flash server. At this point, the iPad gives pretty much the same capabilities for viewing web sites as a desktop browser. One of the last functions, the ability to upload files, comes in iOS 6.
  • Reply 24 of 78
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    flabber wrote: »
    All I can say… "well whaddaya know. neeever saw this one coming".

I'm not sure, did you forgot to add the scarasm tag, as they announced this in November?
  • Reply 25 of 78
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

If I believed in an afterlife, I would like to think Steve is up there crafting Human 2.0 right now :)

Or "The New Human" I should say...

You mean, Human 3GS?

• Reply 26 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    You mean, Human 3GS?

Human 5. :lol:
  • Reply 27 of 78

Can we get rid of it on the desktop also ? My dream one day is for this to happen. As an IT admin I am tired of always having to update it on our macs and pc's . ITs one of the sole reason for both sets of machines crashing.

• Reply 28 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    sr2012 wrote: »
    Bloody amazing. Just watching the recently released All Things D full Steve Jobs interviews. 110% Vindication for Steve.

So sad he wasn't around to see it. Ah well, I guess Buddha and Moses are enjoying their iPads. 

Steve:

<p style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;">"The problem with humans was that you didn't make them user-friendly enough"</p>

"So, let's create an entire sentient race that's insanely great..."

Haha ... Brilliant!
  • Reply 29 of 78
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

What a class act. We are sorry that we could not make a compelling product for use on mobile devices. I mean, it's all Apple's fault for not supporting us, Apple is the bad guy here, poor little Adobe struggling against the corporate giant who is trying to shut them down. 

• Reply 30 of 78
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

It's almost worth crawling back through all the hundreds of forum posts I made in response to moron fandroids whose number one knock on the iPhone was its lack of flash. The last one was l less than a week ago.

[...] all the hundreds of forum posts [...] -- uh really? where? because as of this writing the ai system says you have 199 posts to your name. please document your claim.
  • Reply 31 of 78
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

I was drowned, I was washed up and left for dead.

I fell down to my feet and I saw they bled.

I frowned at the crumbs of a crust of bread.

Yeah, yeah, yeah

I was crowned with a spike right thru my head.

But it's all right now, in fact, it's a gas!

But it's all right, Im jumpin jack flash,

Its a gas! gas! gas!

Jumping jack flash, it's a gas

Jumping jack flash"

Rolling Stones said it best!

/

/

"/

• Reply 32 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

So Adobe is blaming Apple for removing Flash from Android devices? Didn't Google just get through telling us there's 1 million daily activations? Now Adobe, even if Apple doesn't want your flash mess, why would you decline the opportunity to include Flash on hundreds of millions of Android devices? I'll tell you why - it performs like crap regardless of the mobile platform, and you finally raised the white flag of surrender.

well said. I don't care what other android fans keep saying about apple excluding flash because it was a competeitor blah blah. um, not even remotely close. Steve just didn't want a device that ran like crap. Period. It's not like HTML5 is owned by apple. It's in fact an open standard that's far more portable and runs MUCH smoother. Something that's important for a less powerful mobile device.

• Reply 33 of 78
    kovichkovich Posts: 43member

I have always wanted exactly what websites people who have flash enabled phones are visiting. When I got an iPhone in 2008 perhaps 5% of websites I visited had flash, when i got an iPad in 2010 it was 1% and now I can't remember the last time I came across a website which required flash. Just what are they looking at? May be it is because I don't play web based games.

• Reply 34 of 78
    galaxytabgalaxytab Posts: 122member
    As an Android user I still say this: Good riddance.
    Flash is a plague on Android browsers. Glad to see it finally squashed.

Open standards, not proprietary plugins. Next on my death wishlist is Silverlight.
  • Reply 35 of 78

My guess is Steve Jobs was right about Flash not because of some animosity towards Adobe or Flash per se, but because of the culture at Apple -- a culture which he brought to Apple when he came back. Perfection. 

I suspect he was just as hard, if not harder, on the engineers and management at Apple than he was with Adobe and their Flash. If the goal is perfection, then perfection must be reached. I think he had a ruthlessness about him in this regard, and Apple products for the most part show this ruthlessness. As applied to Adobe Flash, Jobs was not being mean or vindictive, he was simply applying the same criteria to Adobe Flash that he applied to Apple products.

• Reply 36 of 78
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    markbyrn wrote: »
    So Adobe is blaming Apple for removing Flash from Android devices? Didn't Google just get through telling us there's 1 million daily activations? Now Adobe, even if Apple doesn't want your flash mess, why would you decline the opportunity to include Flash on hundreds of millions of Android devices? I'll tell you why - it performs like crap regardless of the mobile platform, and you finally raised the white flag of surrender.

Actually, Apple did drive it. Keep in mind that the overwhelming percentage of web access from mobile devices is from iOS and advertising revenues are heavily skewed toward iOS. While Adobe could have umpty trillion installations if they stuck with Android, web site developer have realized that failure to support iOS is fatal.

mac.world wrote: »
    Good god, really. You all sound like a bunch of little girls. Everyone knows Adobe was a resource hog and Adobe could never get it to run insanely great on mobile devices. Why does this even bother you guys? Do you really need to post on here saying, "ha ha ha. We were right and you were wrong!"?
    By the way, I just picked up a Samsung S3 and it appears to run flash 11 just fine. Doesn't give me any problems. Doesn't mean I want Flash to stay or that Adobe made a good product, but Samsung was somehow able to get Touchwiz and Android to play nice with it.
    Mobile Flash is dead... Long live what-ever-the-hell-replaces-it.

Funny how you contradict yourself. First, you say it was a resource hog and Adobe could never get it to run well on mobile devices. Then you say that it works fine on your mobile device. So which is it?

Besides, regarding the bolded, you're missing the entire point. Thousands of Android shills have been running around here for years denying what you just said. Since the iPhone came out without Flash, all we've heard is how great Flash is and how well it works on Mobile devices and that Apple won't support it solely because of {insert your favorite conspiracy theory here}.
    shadowxpr wrote: »

Even with current hardware, it's a resource hog. And I don't miss it - nor do the millions of people who don't have it on their mobile devices. More importantly, Adobe doesn't agree with you - they understand that it's pointless to have Flash on mobile devices.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 180member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

[...] all the hundreds of forum posts [...] -- uh really? where? because as of this writing the ai system says you have 199 posts to your name. please document your claim.

YEAH ! GO !!

You really pwned him !! I lol'd so much I was ROFL, 

Way to point out that he was not 'technically' correct in his response and it was a <> logic error. That'll teach him.

You must be the MOGHWRD.

Now, I *wonder*..... could it be that he also posts on OTHER forums??? Nah.. they dont exist.

• Reply 38 of 78
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    galaxytab wrote: »
    As an Android user I still say this: Good riddance.
    Flash is a plague on Android browsers. Glad to see it finally squashed.
    Open standards, not proprietary plugins. Next on my death wishlist is Silverlight.

And QuickTime too.
  • Reply 39 of 78
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    pooch wrote: »

I guess it never occurred to you that this isn't the only forum on the planet to discuss computer topics?

Not to mention, of course, that he might have other accounts.

It's irrelevant, though. For years, Fandroids were bragging that you needed Android to have "the full internet" because of Flash while the iOS users were saying that Flash sucked and wasn't really necessary.

Turns out the iOS users were right.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    coolfactor wrote: »
    Your credibility just went out the window with that last statement. CSS3 and CSS4, plus JavaScript and SVG, are replacing it.

Very slowly though.
    coolfactor wrote: »
    That was his brilliance. The ability to step back and see things for what they were, quite often long before anybody else did.

Indeed. Steve saw what was invisible but blindingly obvious when once he saw it, and made products that helped you see it too.

Human 5. :lol:

Wait, Tallest Skil agreeing with something called "5"? Say it ain't so.
    Haha ... Brilliant!

Thanks :) One day I swear I'll put my "talent" to good use.
    kovich wrote: »
    I have always wanted exactly what websites people who have flash enabled phones are visiting. When I got an iPhone in 2008 perhaps 5% of websites I visited had flash, when i got an iPad in 2010 it was 1% and now I can't remember the last time I came across a website which required flash. Just what are they looking at? May be it is because I don't play web based games.

You see, the **** up part is that most Flash websites were for desktop with a mouse. Even if your 3" or 4" smartphone could run Flash, you would never realistically be able to navigate a Flash website or even game. Because most of Flash from ground up is designed for rollovers and keyboard entry (like for button mashing in games like at Kongregate). Steve or someone at Apple did mention this. So even if you could run Flash, the website was still a crappy experience. In other words, double fail.
    lkrupp wrote: »
    And QuickTime too.

Well, everything is H.264 mp4/"m4v" anyway, except for Google who apparently is not willing to spend proper money on buying proper H.264 encoders (most YouTube in HTML5 is ,"sorry, video not available") on desktop ... strangely on iOS it does find the videos.

Quicktime for web? Don't need it, I deleted the plugin a few months ago and everything is peachy, except for YouTube and let's face it, naughty websites. Quicktime on Mac is still useful because it's the de facto thing for handling different codecs, which is important in the multimedia stuff. Like Animation, ProRes, Red, etc.