Google Nexus 7 seen as threat to Microsoft Surface, not Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 101 of 127

I'm still thinking about getting the 16gb version of the Nexus 7.

Nothing beats the portability of a 7" tablet. It's the perfect e-reader size.

It has pogo pins so we'll probably see some cool docking stations with built in audio out + charging.

And Jelly Bean is amazing. Running it on my phone right now and couldn't be more happy.

When the development community gets a hold of it, it will be even better.

• Reply 102 of 127
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Apple is not abdicating anything. As mentioned, Apple will not go after a market unless they think there is money to be made. Apple will not join in the game call "Race To The Bottom".

I think Steve J. saw that the best way to grow the brand is to develop new products that utilize the ecosystem. Maybe Apple will repurpose the iPod brand but, imo, Apple will introduce a new product that hopefully will enjoy the same success it has seen with the iPhone and iPad. (I'm talking about the iTV (for lack of a better name).

I want:

1) a bigger iPad with more RAM and SSD

2) a UI addition that contains a loupe and offset to approximate a mouse UI with  touch

3) OS level interface between Macs and iPads so that an iPad can be able to control and mirror the Mac desktop -- ala screen sharing and Back To My Mac

4) support for 2) and 3) on all iPads capable of doing this (iPad 2 and later)

Just like AirPlay is able to exploit AppleTV, this new capability would allow the iPad to exploit the Mac.

I use the iPad in bed, on the couch, on the throne... Wherever.  I would like to be able to use my Macs without needing to get up, go [downstairs] and sit down in front of the Mac.

• Reply 103 of 127
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by artificialintel View Post

I actually thought he did an amazing job of plowing forward despite the device failure.  As a presenter, I think Steven Sinofsky was really impressive, and if he was as good at managing development as he is at keeping calm and carrying on, the tablet probably wouldn't have frozen in the first place.

Truth be told, there was more than one failure. They were not able to run Netflix, or any apps.  They kept touching things expecting something to happen… And nothing happened.

it was all "tell" and no "show".

• Reply 104 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Free app you means? Because Google Play is just a second rate app store and a third rate media store at best. if people want tablet for media, Kindle Fire is still better than this Nexus.

Better than what's being offered in the Amazon App store.  Don't be a douche.

• Reply 105 of 127

Quote:

Kindle Fire is still better than this Nexus.

lol what an ignorant comment.

The Nexus beats it in every department.

• Reply 106 of 127
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

Surface?

What are these analysts smoking?  The Nexus 7 is a threat to the Kindle Fire.  That's it.  That's all.

• Reply 107 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

The rumored 7" iPad would doom them both.

I disagree.  If Apple made one, aside from having Steve Jobs spinning like a top in his grave, and aside from having to include the proverbial sandpaper in the box, it would never carry a price tag close to this.  Apple just can't compete in the shallow end of the pool.  And in this end of the pool, it's the continental shelf when going from $199 to $299.

• Reply 108 of 127

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6054/google-nexus-7-mini-review

The benchmarks are pretty decent.  I think it's good value when you consider the price.

I ordered one for a simple reason: I find the iPad too cumbersome to read with in bed.

It will put off my iPad purchase for a bit....till the next iPad likely.  One reason I held off this year was my disappointment in the front-facing VGA camera.  Retina display.....and then gimped it with a VGA cam for video-conferencing.  I also expect we'll see some substantial hardware changes next year or a slightly different look.

• Reply 109 of 127

Quote:

Free app you means? Because Google Play is just a second rate app store and a third rate media store at best. if people want tablet for media, Kindle Fire is still better than this Nexus.

You can't be serious.

The Kindle Fire isn't even close:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4524&idPhone2=4850

It's thinner, lighter, faster.  Has over 20% higher pixel density (almost on par with the rMBP).  Has a GPS, gyro, compass, Front Facing Camera, Bluetooth and NFC (Kindle Fire has none of these).  Oh and let's not forget build quality and Gorilla glass.  Same price.  There is one thing Kindle Fire does have: an FM radio.  

It gets even better on content.  Get the Kindle Fire and you're locked into Amazon.  Get the Nexus 7 and you don't have to buy a thing from Google (though you might want to use that $25 Google Play credit they give you for something).  You can install the Amazon App Store and still get your content from Amazon....or anywhere else.  On the other hand, you won't be getting GMail, Google Maps, Google Earth, Sky Maps, or a Google Search app from the Amazon App Store.  Heck, I buy my music from iTunes and I stream on my Galaxy Nexus through Google Music.  And no effort to upload at all.  Downloaded the Google Music utility for Mac.  Set the iTunes folder as my default music folder.  Keeps that and my Google Music locker in sync...for free.

Oh...and the best part about the Nexus 7?  Android Jelly Bean.  Straight from Google.  No OEM skin or bloatware.  

With all that in mind, why would anybody buy the Kindle Fire, unless they just don't know about the Nexus 7?

• Reply 110 of 127
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Here's the thing. Obviously at least the Intel version of the Microsoft Surface is aimed at the iPad market, with creation-type software and peripherals. However, if it's priced at >$899 then it'll likely lose out.

The RT version, however, will only run Metro apps (+Office) and so will likely turn out to be used a lot more for consumption (at least initially). Even if it's priced at $399 (and I think $499-599 is much more likely), I don't see it as competing well vs. the Fire and Nexus 7 due to their rock-bottom pricing.

I honestly don't see much of a win anywhere here for Microsoft since $999 for the "good" surface is the price of a MacBook Air or other Ultrabooks which seem much better suited for most business professional's needs.

I don't see the Google Nexus 7 competing at all with the Surface, really.

I'd say Intel Surface will be aimed at people wanting to merge Ultrabook/Air and tablet into one device, while RT Surface will try to compete with iPad/Android tablets (with a bit more productivity, courtesy of MS Office (if that Office turns out to be close enough to desktop Office, feature wise).

• Reply 111 of 127
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member

Sadly, right now the only "threat" Google and Microsoft pose is that to common sense. Just tragic. I'll repeat it, go back and watch the Steve Jobs vs Bill Gates AllThingsD full interview. Do you realise that Bill is just spouting absolute nonsense? Really, it was total rubbish.

There's one part where Bill randomly says, "The answer is 3D". I was like, ???

And that hasn't changed for 5 years. Explains everything about Microsoft. Really sad.

• Reply 112 of 127
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I'd say Intel Surface will be aimed at people wanting to merge Ultrabook/Air and tablet into one device, while RT Surface will try to compete with iPad/Android tablets (with a bit more productivity, courtesy of MS Office (if that Office turns out to be close enough to desktop Office, feature wise).

As I posted before, already done in the Apple universe ! (see http://www.modbook.com/)

Interesting device ... but with limited market potential (and absolutely no interest from this forum ...)

• Reply 113 of 127
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    umrk_lab wrote: »

As I posted before, already done in the Apple universe ! (see http://www.modbook.com/)

Interesting device ... but with limited market potential (and absolutely no interest from this forum ...)

I actually considered buying one before the iPad came out. The intended use would have been showing PowerPoint shows, pdfs, etc at trade shows. The iPad now does that just as well, in a smaller, cheaper package (with Keynote instead of PowerPoint, of course).
    nikon133 wrote: »

Exactly. They're different products with different target audiences.
    I want:

2) a UI addition that contains a loupe and offset to approximate a mouse UI with  touch

3) OS level interface between Macs and iPads so that an iPad can be able to control and mirror the Mac desktop -- ala screen sharing and Back To My Mac

Just like AirPlay is able to exploit AppleTV, this new capability would allow the iPad to exploit the Mac.

I use the iPad in bed, on the couch, on the throne... Wherever.  I would like to be able to use my Macs without needing to get up, go [downstairs] and sit down in front of the Mac.

Try Logmein.com. It's free for non-commercial use. Not OS level, yet, but still very effective. The problem is that it's a bit slow in the old version. I don't know if the newer version is much better since I haven't been traveling much for a while.
  • Reply 114 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

I'm still thinking about getting the 16gb version of the Nexus 7.

Nothing beats the portability of a 7" tablet. It's the perfect e-reader size.

It has pogo pins so we'll probably see some cool docking stations with built in audio out + charging.

And Jelly Bean is amazing. Running it on my phone right now and couldn't be more happy.

When the development community gets a hold of it, it will be even better.

i wouldn't get the 8gig if you are a gamer or like lots of apps.
    it has pogo pins? yay! i have the pogo dock for the galaxy nexus and would love the same for the 7
  • Reply 115 of 127
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Exactly... No consumer buys a computer to 'run Excel' or build word macros... they want a computer to 'do budgets,' or 'create documents'   And between a powerful iPad, some practically free applications, and the cloud, that niche is filled.

Gamers, 'Computer Professionals', people who 'upgrade computers' (low level modders), are forgetting that 'computers' have moved from 'build your own' (hot rods), 'consumable' ("100K maintenance free" -). 

Hence it's key, anyone who says 'more powerful'  'more upgradable' and doesn't focus on 'a more pleasing experience','more intuitive','more complementary to my life,'   isn't the market voice of the Billions of buyers who want/need a bookreader/notetaking/vidplaying phone/pad.

Actually, building and upgrading your computer is pretty fun. I put an SSD and 8GB of RAM into my 2010 MBP 13" and it was a new lease of life. Then of course the Retina MBP came out and let's just say thank goodness my parents don't micromanage my finances. (I'm working hard though, not just the prodigal son! (except when it comes to Apple))

With my PC rig, it was exhilarating getting a new graphic card, or putting a sweet Zalman copper fan on the CPU, getting "overclocked" RAM, etc. Then you boot up the computer, and it's... Windows. Then, to rub salt into the wound, you run your latest game and it's laggy, needs driver updates, etc. Like NFS: Shift. Latest rig, ATI card, unexplained lagginess for months with no recourse. In the end in fact, even though so many PC games never needed that level of power, if you had a perfectly-decent AMD dual core, the experience was usually worse compared to an Intel Quad.

I like fiddling with PC hardware and playing games. I do not like Windows nor spending more time on troubleshooting forums than on games.
    fredaroony wrote: »
    How exactly do you see any more ads in Android than in iOS?

Paid apps in iOS?
    Siri surfing bypasses Google wherever possible!

Good point.
    I want:

YES.

GOOD IDEA.

YOU CAN DO THIS (VNC)... but not natively as such.

YES. Also though, I would like to run iPad apps on my Mac. Think about it. I want fullscreen Twitter app, fullscreen other apps on my Mac. Because native iPad apps are of really such amazing, high-resolution quality, why can't I just have it on my Mac? I don't want to trawl through the garbage that is, for example, the Facebook website just to pose a picture of myself with my shirt off in the mirror. Yeah, there's Tweetdeck, but iPad apps are far more prolific than native Mac apps.

jetz wrote: »
    Surface?
    What are these analysts smoking?

Our tax dollars.
  • Reply 116 of 127
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

what everyone is missing so far is how the Nexus 7 competes, not with the iPad, but with the iPod Touch (Apple's true "mini-tablet"). the $200 price for the 8G model of each is exactly the same. and crucially, both are fully integrated into their respective ecosystems. 

what the Nexus 7 offers of course is a bigger screen, while the much smaller iPod Touch has a retina display. one fits in your pocket, the other doesn't. but otherwise, the most notably difference is the iPod touch has a decent camera for casual photo/video use, while the Nexus 7 has no such camera, just a basic video chat camera, which both have.

which would your kid want for Xmas? i think the camera would be the deciding factor.

IMO, Apple's smart move would be to add a new 5.5" model of the iPod touch this Fall for $250. with the same resolution on a bigger screen, it would no longer be retina quality, but iPhone apps would still look good and work well, even as a camera. and it would still be pocket size. just right size for games too. kids would love it. (it would also kill the Sony Vita and Nintendo 3DS, btw).

OTOH, i think it would be a bad mistake for Apple to come out with a smaller 8" "me too" smaller iPad, as rumored often. iPad apps would not look good nor work well on it.

The iPod touch is not a tablet. It uses the iPhone apps, not the iPad apps. The os is similar, but the apps are quite different between the two. If an 8" iPad mini came out, it would use the iPad apps and this would be a big difference between the touch.

• Reply 117 of 127
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

FACT: Upon release, the MS Surface RT WILL compete in the exact same market as Apple's iPad.

FACT: Apple (currently) has absolutely nothing remotely in the same category as either the MS Surface Pro nor the Google Nexus 7.

You can't call the first statement a fact because you have no idea what the pricing will be. The Surface RT could be priced at $799 and that would not really be the "exact" same market. Also, since the Surface does not have LTE available, once again it isn't the exact same market. Unless they also buy an iPad and use it's hot spot feature to give the Surface WiFi access.

If anything the Surface RT would be in a similar market as the iPad.

• Reply 118 of 127
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

What are you, the f*cking forum police.

There, I changed my original statement. Satisfied!

Grow up boy.

• Reply 119 of 127
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

lol what an ignorant comment.

The Nexus beats it in every department.

Not sure I agree that a statement declaring the Fire to be better than the Nexus is worth a laughing-out-loud response.  I don't automatically assume it's "ignorant".    Both of these tablets are about consumption of services (books, music, movies, tv shows, etc.).   If one considers Amazon's store to be better than Google's, then you might go ahead and consider the Fire to be the better tablet.

• Reply 120 of 127
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    What Android users should love most about the Nexus 7 is the USB file storage, Adobe Flash, and user-removable battery¡