RIM's survival until BlackBerry 10 all about cash preservation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    They're dead in the water. Even when BB10 comes out, why would app developers want to support an OS that is most likely going to disappear.
    I wonder if they will pay out each of those 5000 employees with severance packages similar to the millions they gave their idiot CEOs who ran it into the ground

It will cost them $330 million. Much, if not most of that, is for severance.
  • Reply 22 of 94
    tttedotttedo Posts: 3member

They should partner with LinkedIn in order to build a BB community. They should bring services tied to the owenership of a BB so that employees must use the BB in the companies. 

No more BYOD. Business status to have a BB.

• Reply 23 of 94
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    I think they are missing the reason that RIM is screwed: They survived the past five years by going after the consumer market, and the BES "value proposition" kept eroding their high margin enterprise software business. So, all they can do now is really make handsets. There is no margin in that.

About all they could do is sell off the BES business to a Google or Apple so they can fix their mess of a calendaring and synchronization system. There really isn't much benefit any more in any RIM OS, so they can just switch to Android with the same benefits as migrating to BB10 at a much lower cost.
  • Reply 24 of 94
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member

$2.2B in the bank, and a rumoured $1B in devices sitting in storage while burning cash waiting for BB10 and next-gen devices to be completed. I have $50 ready for the Playbook fire-sale, you know you'll have to do it eventually RIM.

• Reply 25 of 94
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    originalg wrote: »
    $2.2B in the bank, and a rumoured $1B in devices sitting in storage while burning cash waiting for BB10 and next-gen devices to be completed. I have $50 ready for the Playbook fire-sale, you know you'll have to do it eventually RIM.

At this stage RIM would have to pay me $500 to even touch a Playbook.
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    I think they are missing the reason that RIM is screwed: They survived the past five years by going after the consumer market, and the BES "value proposition" kept eroding their high margin enterprise software business. So, all they can do now is really make handsets. There is no margin in that.
    About all they could do is sell off the BES business to a Google or Apple so they can fix their mess of a calendaring and synchronization system. There really isn't much benefit any more in any RIM OS, so they can just switch to Android with the same benefits as migrating to BB10 at a much lower cost.

What nobody seems to talk about is how the BES value proposition eroded. At first everybody was like, oh, can't use iPhone, corporate email security is lousy. Then, a few years ago, the wheels totally came off the BES stuff, suddenly iPhone was everywhere in corporate.

Why has RIM not addressed this fundamental issue?
  • Reply 26 of 94
    mariomario Posts: 348member

Quote:

Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

At this rate, it will be more like RIP.

Research in Peace?

• Reply 27 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

....My ^sstard elitism aside, I did feel sadness for him. Like I do for Bill Gates now.

I actually feel worse for BG's kids. I wonder if they still use a Zune. (I recall an interview with his wife a while ago, where she said that no Apple products are allowed in her household.)

Can you imagine how uncool they must feel.

• Reply 28 of 94

I know business friends that have been "forced" to use BB's for their company phones because of - well they seem to suggest it's because of their email server.  One person in particular was blown away when I showed her the first iPhone.  How email messages looked like they were supposed to - how you could zoom if you couldn't read or see something properly, how web pages were the real thing, not some botched up micro mess on a tiny BB screen.

The company I used to work for, a creative retail chain with lots of 20 something staff who are clearly iPhone (and Mac) users, is filled with senior management (from the private equity world) who for the most part are anything but creative, are also still using BB's - because it's what people in private equity (and to a bigger extent Wall Street) do.  To me, companies that have policies that have continued to support RIM are almost as dumb as RIM itself.

• Reply 30 of 94
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    quadra 610 wrote: »

Whenever a company like this has so many problems, there are stories like that. It's all wishful thinking, and of no use.

So of course someone from Google would like to see a RIM Android phone. What else is new? Will it happen? No.

Windows phone? No.
  • Reply 31 of 94
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

I hope RIM finds its way back up. It would be a remarkable story and also good for the industry.

• Reply 32 of 94
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

I saw a guy in a suit on the train with a BB. My ^sstard elitism aside, I did feel sadness for him. Like I do for Bill Gates now. At least in the tech world, it is sad to see a giant like that now be so, so very lost.

Feel sadness for Bill Gates?  The work he is doing well may be the greatest humanitarian work ever done. We should feel proud of him, not sad for him. And I don't think Gates is lost in any sense of the word.

• Reply 33 of 94
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

RIP RIM 

rim_0.jpeg

• Reply 34 of 94
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Whenever a company like this has so many problems, there are stories like that. It's all wishful thinking, and of no use.

So of course someone from Google would like to see a RIM Android phone. What else is new? Will it happen? No.

Windows phone? No.

Good point. We've heard the same stories thrown around about WebOS. 

• Reply 35 of 94

RIM is in that endangered species mode now... And unlike American Auto Industry, no one in Canada or in the Tech world thinks it's worth saving.

Self-inflicted.  Yes.   Very much so... There is that transition from being a market leader, to being unaware the market had fundamentally changed around them.

- It's an Apps (don't force a requirement into the existing limitations, drive the limitations out by putting intelligence into both ends of the com structure) based world now.  

- 140 characters is not the avg piece of 'information' produced on a mobile device.

- Color is communications dimension.

- Making an keyboard that small was a feat of magic, but once people wanted to watch youtube in their hand, permanently dedicating that real estate was an anchor.

These were apparent in 1997 (Palm), and the technology caught up in 2007.   

There are lots of 'lucky' people in business, and there are even more 'one trick ponies.'  It's well documented that there were few smart decisions since 2006, so we have to assume their 'business intelligence' was poor.  So, they were lucky to develop a technology to migrate two-way pagers into email at a time when deals required instant communications between CxOs, driving their technology top down into an organization (PCs were bottom up).  They rode that pony hard.  But they felt they were competing against phones with buttons, or phones trying to run versions of MSoffice, and a crufty browser at 2G broadband speeds was their competition.

iPhone appears and they don't know what happens.

Their momentum seems to validate their business plan... but in fact, their horse was dying underneath them.

When it's apparent the winds are shifting, they try to do a Microsoft, and promise everything to everybody (Java, Flash, Web, Apps, Android compatibility, ponies and unicorns), and ship crap, while marketing it as 'new and improved, and bound to get better next year' in a world when 2 year cycles are now the norm.

Now they basically are a old fat animal... living off their fat, to survive the winter, loping off vital organs in the hope that their immature offspring will grow and pull them to the fertile pasture.   I've seen enough Nat Geo's to know that that doesn't happen.  The vultures will swirl, and eat both the old horse and the young foal, or the foal will pulled into another herd, and the old nag left to die.

I'm not sad... I'm all for gene cleansing;-)

• Reply 36 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Feel sadness for Bill Gates?  The work he is doing well may be the greatest humanitarian work ever done. We should feel proud of him, not sad for him. And I don't think Gates is lost in any sense of the word.

Ballmer on the other hand....

• Reply 37 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

I wonder if they will pay out each of those 5000 employees with severance packages similar to the millions they gave their idiot CEOs who ran it into the ground

$330 million / 5000 layoffs = $66,000 per layoff.  Given what their employees likely make, that's an average of less than one year's salary per employee.  That sounds pretty typical for severance...

• Reply 38 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

I hope RIM finds its way back up. It would be a remarkable story and also good for the industry.

Apple wrote that story already...   

And given where RIM is at... There is no 'insanely great' savior in the wings.   

When I look at RIM, their story more parallels AOL, but with worse management.

Nokia... now... they could/should make a comeback worthy of a story and be great for the mobile industry.

• Reply 39 of 94
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

I hope so for all the employees at RIM.
    But they would have to be imaginative and try to think outside the box.
    But all I see when I think about RIM in conservativism and sticking to old scemes.

So, no I don't expect them to realize the turnaround.

Sad.
  • Reply 40 of 94

Mmmm... Maybe MS has another VP that they want to outsource ala Elop.   

I suspect that Sinofsky might be a prime candidate!