RIM's survival until BlackBerry 10 all about cash preservation

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

the biggest thing killing RIM is BYOD. use to be any place you needed a smart phone, they handed you a BB.

You could say that, if their offerings were compelling...  They aren't, so it isn't.

I would say the opposite... The thing that is killing RIM is they catered to the corporate purchaser (and the teenage texter).  Just listened to last week's 5x5 with Horace Deidu... The key item horace noted was, once you stop making a product people want, and start making a product that a procurement officer or a IT operations guys likes, you lose in today's mobile market (He was arguing that the day Apple formally creates a product that 'appeals to corporate types,' they have lost their laser focus 'on what the user wants').

BYOD is just the classic case cost containment from the opposite end.     Security not withstanding (I'm a security guy... BB basically grokked security... Apple is doing 'just enough' (curated apps, central management)... Android isn't there),   If you can sandbox your business onto the applications, and remote wipe it, that's 'good enough.' (until we get a iOS virus), and we don't have to buy you a phone, a plan, and the support of it.   That's a $1500/year per employee.   BYOD plus enterprise management  plus VPN is good enough.

• Reply 62 of 94
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gelp wrote: »
    What they should do is give an in-house 3 weeks training, for lets say 500 developers. Charge $1000, run it for 3 months and bam you have 2 million in cash. I'm willing to pay a thousand if i can get to play with that device for awhile. Of course that won't save them, but it increases the user bases of developers.

OK, let's work through that.

EVEN IF you could find 2,000 developers who wanted to pay $1,000 for training in a dying platform, you have to subtract all your costs - which would eat up a big chunk of that. And even if it didn't, $2 M would keep RIM alive for a couple of days at best.
  • Reply 63 of 94

It may have been said before...this ship has sailed. Jobs said,"you have to be 5-10 years ahead in innovation to survive in the tech industry."

They got complacent and Apple ate their lunch! Sorry.

Gateway, Palm, Motorola, RIM, Nokia, Dell, Sony, HP and eventually MS. These companies are getting slammed from both ends....By Google for those who only buy stuff because it's cheap and Apple who only buy Apple stuff because it's great! :)

PS. Most of the companies above can blame MS for for the troubles/demise by providing a s**t horrible Windows OS!

• Reply 64 of 94
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Research in Motion hasn't addressed the fundamental issue because they are a one trick pony. One heck of a trick but once another pony learned the trick the trick was unimpressive especially since the other pony had dozens of tricks.

Beyond that, there just isn't a significant list of features and functions that Apple iPhone can't provide from secure emails and messaging to enterprise device management without an expensive infrastructure.

I wanted to say something along those lines but your remarks are rather concise so I'll just give it a +1

I think Nokia will fall for the same reasons.

This is all about the big software companies, which makes sense. I hope MS actually gets their act together so at least it will be a 3 way competition.

• Reply 65 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

To me, companies that have policies that have continued to support RIM are almost as dumb as RIM itself.

Best line of the year! :)

That's how I look at companies/people that are using windows and Android products! 

Good show! :)

• Reply 66 of 94
    chrisnhchrisnh Posts: 41member

Quote: "With few exceptions, once started, downward spirals have often proved very difficult to reverse."

And then there was Apple in the 1990s...Exhibit A of one of those said 'few exceptions.'

• Reply 67 of 94
    popnfreshpopnfresh Posts: 139member

Blackberry 10 will be delayed another 6+ months?

Bye bye, RIM, it's been boring knowing you.

• Reply 68 of 94
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Thinking out loud, here...

RIMM is selling at a 52-week low of $7.50 with a market cap of $3.6 Billion.

I can't find what RIMM payed for QNX!

But here's the thought:  Both MS and Google seem to be PORPing -- Piss On youR Partners, of late.

What if some profitable, but estranged Partner were to:

1) Buy QNX from RIMM

2) License use of QNX back to RIMM (free for products in development)

3) Build their [the former MS or Google Partner's] own hardware, going forward based on the QNX OS.

Done right, it could provide opportunities for RIMM and the estranged Partner:

1) Rim could service near term, have the option to continue forward with hardware and possibly transform itself into a services company

2) The Partner could have a powerful in-house OS going forward with no dependencies/fees/competition to Google or MS.

As I understand it, QNX has already demonstrated the capability to run Android apps -- so either the users could install them from whatever source... Or, developers could be offered an additional marketplace (by the Partner) for Android/QNX apps... and an incentive to offer native QNX apps.

How much would a deal like that be worth?

Thoughts?

And why would this partner not have bought WebOS when HP dropped the ball? WebOS was clearly far more complete than QNX or BB10 is now.

• Reply 69 of 94
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

And why would this partner not have bought WebOS when HP dropped the ball? WebOS was clearly far more complete than QNX or BB10 is now.

Or why wouldn't it just adopt Android?

• Reply 70 of 94
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Simple answer: because the partner's OS provider was not, then, making hardware in unfair competition with partner.

I, too think WebOS was a missed opportunity.  Especially by HP.  HP was trying to get the best of both worlds by incorporating WebOS on the desktop as an extension.

I think that this approach would've been more successful than MS' attempt to cram Windows 8/ Metro down everyone's throat.

• Reply 71 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Or why wouldn't it just adopt Android?

Would you build a partnership by basing your product upon an OS provided by a supplier who is building a product in competition with you?

• Reply 72 of 94
    xsuluxxsulux Posts: 4member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryuk View Post

What key features are included in crack berry 10 ... That will lure the crack berry heads back

Remember that RIM has promised to deliver "uncompromised mobile web experience including Flash" for their playbook and BB10 devices? Now, Flash would not be on iOS, WinPhone and Android. So only RIM who still promises Flash, is that right?

On top of that, RIM is offering much more than the competition:

- "Flow, Glance & Peek" would be gesture on steroids which is combination of MeeGo and webOS which includes live tiles and an "outdated" icon grid style of home screen.

- "True multitasking" so user can "flow" forever.

- "Predictive" virtual keyboard.

- "Time machine" camera.

- "Security" of BIS/BES network - assuming RIM could integrate this to BB10 platform.

- "BBM" is still messaging on steroids assuming RIM could integrate BIS/BES to BB10 platform.

- "Data compression" for 2G network in the 3rd world countries, again assuming BIS/BES could be integrated to BB10 platform.

- "Superior battery life".

- Greatest physical keyboard on some model. Maybe they should add stylus model.

- Abundant apps on bb10 platform, plus they could use Android app using App player.

- Partnership with Amazon for cloud drive and for music & movie store.

So Wake Up because Amateur Hour Is Over. Be Bold.

Unluckily, it is still a vapourware that is very very late to the 6th generation of iOS.

• Reply 73 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This is all about the big software companies, which makes sense. I hope MS actually gets their act together so at least it will be a 3 way competition.

This is OT for this thread, but what do you think will happen if MS fails to get [back] into the smartphone and tablet market -- the post PC market?

Related question: what do  Windows developers do when the fastest-growing segment of the market is not available to them?

• Reply 74 of 94
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

And these people of who teach it, the likes of Clay Christensen, how many wildly successful and innovative companies have they spearheaded?

Well this question is beyond dumb. I'll let you work out the logical flaw of the inference.

Christensen is a pretty amazing person actually. His company is called Innobits I think.

• Reply 75 of 94
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Well this question is beyond dumb. I'll let you work out the logical flaw of the inference.

Christensen is a pretty amazing person actually. His company is called Innobits I think.

You are welcome to disagree with me. But there is most assuredly no logical flaw in my "inference" (of course, one could argue you have introduced one by imbuing a question with an inference, but I am not down for that type of word games).

Christensen is indeed an impressive smart person, and a great speaker.  His analysis is often insightful.  But impressively smart, insightful people do not necessarily spearhead wildly successful and innovative companies. You may be thinking of Innosight, which is a consulting company that makes money for him by spreading his gospel (more or less).

• Reply 76 of 94

RIM is an ice cube and so is Nokia for that matter.

• Reply 77 of 94
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Apple wrote that story already...   

And given where RIM is at... There is no 'insanely great' savior in the wings.   

When I look at RIM, their story more parallels AOL, but with worse management.

Nokia... now... they could/should make a comeback worthy of a story and be great for the mobile industry.

Interesting that you mention Nokia, because they are now rated as "junk" by the ratings companies. Whether they can last long enough to pay off the large amounts in debt that will be due in early 2014 and later is being debated.

They are running through cash quickly despite the money Microsoft has given them. They will be laying off another 10,000 workers.
  • Reply 78 of 94
    Mmmm... Maybe MS has another VP that they want to outsource ala Elop.   

I suspect that Sinofsky might be a prime candidate!

If the treo of products he's in charge of, Win 8, Surface and Wp8 are seen as failures, you may get your wish.
  • Reply 79 of 94
    Thinking out loud, here...

RIMM is selling at a 52-week low of $7.50 with a market cap of $3.6 Billion.

I can't find what RIMM payed for QNX!

But here's the thought:  Both MS and Google seem to be PORPing -- Piss On youR Partners, of late.

What if some profitable, but estranged Partner were to:

1) Buy QNX from RIMM

2) License use of QNX back to RIMM (free for products in development)

3) Build their [the former MS or Google Partner's] own hardware, going forward based on the QNX OS.

Done right, it could provide opportunities for RIMM and the estranged Partner:

1) Rim could service near term, have the option to continue forward with hardware and possibly transform itself into a services company

2) The Partner could have a powerful in-house OS going forward with no dependencies/fees/competition to Google or MS.

As I understand it, QNX has already demonstrated the capability to run Android apps -- so either the users could install them from whatever source... Or, developers could be offered an additional marketplace (by the Partner) for Android/QNX apps... and an incentive to offer native QNX apps.

How much would a deal like that be worth?

Thoughts?

The partner would be taking a big risk.

There is no way to know now if BB10 is having too many problems to ever become viable. I'm beginning to think it is. They've had major problems integrating it into their systems. It's delayed three times now. It will be three years since they bought it in early 2010. That's a year delay. What if, as I think it might, it's not ready in January 2013?

What if it is, but no one cares?

How much would this partner pay for it? Will they pay only for a finished and shipping product?

There are a lot of questions here, and no good answers.
  • Reply 80 of 94
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151002/rims-survival-until-blackberry-10-all-about-cash-preservation/40#post_2137189"]

Here's a really good article from 2009. You'll love this one:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/08/12/technology/blackberry_research_in_motion.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2009081709