RIM's survival until BlackBerry 10 all about cash preservation

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Double post
  • Reply 82 of 94

Not sure I agree completely. The problem, IMHO, is that they realized too late that a true smartphone was a computer. The leadership there simply could not design a computer, particularly the software. QNX was a really good software outfit. It's shocking that they can't have BB10 working by now.

I believe that RIM didn't do proper due diligence before buying QNX. The OS is clearly not compatable with their systems. That's why we see all of these delays, and the problem with Playbook software.

With this being the problem, and RIM has pretty much said that it is, they may never get it working the way they want to.
  • Reply 83 of 94
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsulux View Post

Remember that RIM has promised to deliver "uncompromised mobile web experience including Flash" for their playbook and BB10 devices? Now, Flash would not be on iOS, WinPhone and Android. So only RIM who still promises Flash, is that right?

On top of that, RIM is offering much more than the competition:

- "Flow, Glance & Peek" would be gesture on steroids which is combination of MeeGo and webOS which includes live tiles and an "outdated" icon grid style of home screen.

- "True multitasking" so user can "flow" forever.

- "Predictive" virtual keyboard.

- "Time machine" camera.

- "Security" of BIS/BES network - assuming RIM could integrate this to BB10 platform.

- "BBM" is still messaging on steroids assuming RIM could integrate BIS/BES to BB10 platform.

- "Data compression" for 2G network in the 3rd world countries, again assuming BIS/BES could be integrated to BB10 platform.

- "Superior battery life".

- Greatest physical keyboard on some model. Maybe they should add stylus model.

- Abundant apps on bb10 platform, plus they could use Android app using App player.

- Partnership with Amazon for cloud drive and for music & movie store.

So Wake Up because Amateur Hour Is Over. Be Bold.

Unluckily, it is still a vapourware that is very very late to the 6th generation of iOS.

IMO, RIM sealed the fate of the PlayBook (and possibly the BB Phones) when they decided to use Flash for the UI for QNX.

• Reply 84 of 94
    chrisnh wrote: »
    Quote: "With few exceptions, once started, downward spirals have often proved very difficult to reverse."

And then there was Apple in the 1990s...Exhibit A of one of those said 'few exceptions.'

I wish people would stop using Apple as a reference in these situations. It's simply not relevant . We can always point out that when other companies that are doing poorly get themselves an equivelant of SJ, that comparison may be valid, but not before.

Every company stands on its own, and comparisons aren't fair, or useful, as every situation is different. RIM's problems are entirely of their own making, and their leaders are their own as well. It's also a completely different situation from the one Apple was in. Apple was in the computer industry which changed much more slowly than the cell industry does today, after the introduction of the iPhone. Where Apple had years to make a turnaround, RIM has not much more than one. Apple's sales were also not plummeting. They had been slowly trending down.

And while the first iMacs stabilized the company, it took a product out of the computer industry they were in, to make the turnaround possible, RIM doesn't have a product like that, and they won't.
  • Reply 85 of 94
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    For argument sake- Even if, by some miracle, it IS a better OS than iOS or android- mobile OSs have advanced so much since the introduction of ios, that they couldn't release anything jaw dropping enough to sway the majority. iOS was the jaw dropping one in 2007... We won't see anything massively different for years.

They're toast.
  • Reply 86 of 94
    xsuluxxsulux Posts: 4member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

IMO, RIM sealed the fate of the PlayBook (and possibly the BB Phones) when they decided to use Flash for the UI for QNX.

Yep, what I was saying is:

After 6-year late with so high profile and ambition (for uncompromised web experience and true multitasking) but was introduced in May 2012 with so little features demonstrated so many ripped-off of other platforms while still struggling to integrate their own basic features (BBM & BIS/BES server). Not to mention about lack of other key factors such apps, music, movie library and store. And yet, nobody has tried a functional BB10 prototype device. It is still a vapourware.

But still, there are so many cracked people still have a high hope in RIM. Really do not understand this cracked-berry people.

• Reply 87 of 94
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsulux View Post

Yep, what I was saying is:

After 6-year late with so high profile and ambition (for uncompromised web experience and true multitasking) but was introduced in May 2012 with so little features demonstrated so many ripped-off of other platforms while still struggling to integrate their own basic features (BBM & BIS/BES server). Not to mention about lack of other key factors such apps, music, movie library and store. And yet, nobody has tried a functional BB10 prototype device. It is still a vapourware.

But still, there are so many cracked people still have a high hope in RIM. Really do not understand this cracked-berry people.

It's like what MS does... Hitching a plow to a thoroughbred.

• Reply 88 of 94
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I wish someone would update John King at CNN. I like the guy but someone needs to let him know touting his BB every chance he gets is really not helping his image of being intouch. He seems to mention it and hold it up every chance he gets. It's like he thinks it is a piece of bleeding edge technology instead of a piece of history akin to using a typewriter.
  • Reply 89 of 94

One thing To keep in mind is that RIMM's fiscal year ends sometime in mid to late March. 

This means that any product committed to be released in the first quarter could be in the April-June timeframe.

RIMM played this game with the initial availability of the PlayBook tablet.

• Reply 90 of 94
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

And as for your Ballmer asking them for this deal, where did you get that from? I don't remember that.

M$ has a reputation for buying failing tech companies.

Perhaps M$ feel they should spread their easy obtained wealth around.

Then buying RIM would get rid of one of the several sick sPhone companies, which form the bottom end sick competition.

• Reply 91 of 94
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Feel sadness for Bill Gates?  The work he is doing well may be the greatest humanitarian work ever done. We should feel proud of him, not sad for him. And I don't think Gates is lost in any sense of the word.

I think Gates is lost in terms of technology. For the past five years aside from Windows 7 (which was restoring a WinXP2 experience from five years before that), Microsoft has not performed in any way besides market dominance in PCs alone.

As for Gates' philanthropy, I don't think it will be the greatest ever, while he has made critical contributions, his technology senility such as thinking he can build better nuclear reactors (from the king of blue screen of death) is... confused at best, seriously damaging at worst.

That's why I ask that Gates step down from Microsoft, step down from any technology thing and just focus on basics such as clean water, food, and medication for Africa.

I admire his charity very much, and it is much needed.

But any technology stuff, ironically, Gates only makes worse (under his watch)... illegal business practices, Internet Explorer, Windows, Windows8, Surface, WindowsPhone, the list goes on.

In my mind, the balance is 50-50 on how Gates has bettered humanity, and how he has retarded humanity.

As a human being I simply hope he does the basic stuff with his untold billions, and not mess up the technology and renewable energy side of things... Leave that to people like Steve Jobs (and his legacy) and Elon Musk.

I know it is difficult, when the sunset comes, when the bell tolls. And the bell tolls for Microsoft, as it did for RIM years ago.
  • Reply 92 of 94
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    It's like what MS does... Hitching a plow to a thoroughbred.

Which makes Microsoft's senility all the more tragic. This is not good for Microsoft too. I'll repeat, the bell tolls for them.
  • Reply 93 of 94
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Every company stands on its own, and comparisons aren't fair, or useful, as every situation is different.

What we have is multiple smartphone manufacturers with their own OS getting into trouble: Palm (WebOS), Nokia (Symbian), RIM (BB) plus we have multiple smartphone manufacturers without their own OS and not being number one in their chosen third-party OS (HTC, LG, SonyEricsson, Motorola) struggling and being taken over (Motorola, SonyEricsson). There certainly is some common cause for their troubles.

(Which is a very disruptive change in what we expect from smartphones or mobile phones in general. We expect a lot of features and we expect a large ecosystem.)

• Reply 94 of 94
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

I wish people would stop using Apple as a reference in these situations. It's simply not relevant . We can always point out that when other companies that are doing poorly get themselves an equivelant of SJ, that comparison may be valid, but not before.

Every company stands on its own, and comparisons aren't fair, or useful, as every situation is different. RIM's problems are entirely of their own making, and their leaders are their own as well. It's also a completely different situation from the one Apple was in. Apple was in the computer industry which changed much more slowly than the cell industry does today, after the introduction of the iPhone. Where Apple had years to make a turnaround, RIM has not much more than one. Apple's sales were also not plummeting. They had been slowly trending down.

And while the first iMacs stabilized the company, it took a product out of the computer industry they were in, to make the turnaround possible, RIM doesn't have a product like that, and they won't.

+1 and well-said