Google admits Chrome bug responsible for crashing MacBook Airs

Comments

• Reply 81 of 103
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

A lot of people are using it without even realizing it. I've spoke with a number of people for tech support that claim to be using "Internet Explorer", only to find out that they unknowingly switched to Chrome at some point without realizing it. A lot of people are drones when it comes to this stuff. And Google has been very aggressive about pushing Chrome onto people.

How does one just get switched over without them knowing lol?

• Reply 82 of 103
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    1,507 posts of an anti-Apple nature on an Apple forum.
    Case in point.

Nice try, read posts 1-1000, and don't quote others instead, your quote here was from another poster.
  • Reply 83 of 103
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

It can be very easy when you run an installer and it has a little innocuous checkbox asking if you would like to change default X.  That game is played far more on the PC side of the house.  After that the VAST majority of users just don't pay attention to the kinds of details that would clue them in that something significant changed.  They just chalk it up to that darned computer.

• Reply 84 of 103
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    fredaroony wrote: »
    Lot of people like obviously, it's currently the most used browser.

On Macs?
  • Reply 85 of 103
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    On Macs?

I don't think it's the most used browser on any OS platform.
  • Reply 86 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't think it's the most used browser on any OS platform.

Yes it is.

• Reply 87 of 103
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    sausages wrote: »
    This is true, but there are *certain* steps an OS can take to mitigate video driver crashes. Windows will attempt to restart a video driver before throwing a BSoD. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946

LL

It's only been a feature since Vista.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WDDM#Enhanced_fault-tolerance

No not the overclocker; what you describe is precisely what Windows does.

"The biggest change in the WDDM [driver model since Vista] is that much of the graphics driver has been moved from kernel space to user space."

"In the unlikely event that an application or its UMD does something illegal and causes an error, only that single application will close, leaving the Windows Vista operating system unscathed, allowing the user to continue working."

Source: http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/ATIWDDMWhitepaperFinalV38.pdf

Absolutely. (Though I gotta say, the alt-tab behaviour you're describing is more likely due to poor coding in the game. Case in point: Valve released a patch to the source engine a while back making alt-tab in their games virtually instant) It is also absolutely true that the WDDM fault tolerance mechanism is far from perfect. I remember seeing a Microsoft document pointing out that despite WDDM 1.0, the sizable majority of BSoDs are still graphics driver related. But at least such a mechanism exists, and I can't seem to find any documentation of something similar in OS X.

Some of the least informed and most biased posts I have seen here which is saying a lot.
  • Reply 88 of 103
    sausagessausages Posts: 11member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Some of the least informed and most bias posts I have seen here which is saying a lot.

Most "biased" you mean?

Care to point out where I was wrong? I provided sources. And let me be clear, I never said the mechanism was perfect (I even say in one of those posts you quoted that Windows nonetheless still BSoDs from graphics driver issues all the time). I was merely for the sake of discussion pointing out that Windows does have a system specifically to mitigate what happened with Chrome on OSX.

• Reply 89 of 103
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    john.b wrote: »
    And that, folks, is why Adobe can't be trusted with access to low-level video hardware for Flash (or anything else).

And, yes, I did notice they finally gave up on Flash for Android installs.

Shantanu Narayen really should resign so Adobe can get back to the stuff that made them great, not the craptacular Macromedia stuff they bought.

'Nuff Said
    pscooter63 wrote: »

According to netmarketshare, IE6 still has more users than any (single) desktop edition of Safari, at 6.17% of the browser market. 

In what sense of the word has IE6 "bitten the dust"?

/hates IE6, I do

It is impossible to make a reasonable website today that caters for IE6.
    coolfactor wrote: »
    In this day and age, my car should not have got a flat tire!

LOL how true.

People are idiots. You can call them up and say "we're Microsoft and we've detected a virus. Give us your credit card details and we will sort it out".

This is the world that Microsoft has contributed to. Think about that. Ideology aside, let's face it, Microsoft is complicit in this kind of nonsense.

Of course, Apple should fix the bug, and they are not perfect. But the argument that "Oh, Microsoft or Windows is better, it would never happen with them" is ridiculous.
  • Reply 90 of 103
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    What apple bug, it's a chrome bug, check the original ai article :rolleyes:

Ps. Guys something's got to be done about huddler and smillies I am still getting question marks on the left where the smilies I presume ar esupposed to be and no smilie shortcut ever appears in anything other than a question mark on mobile safari...ok we kinda accepted the blank spaces between posts (I wouldn't say gotten used to them) but to not be able to post the occasional emoticon...shhhhisssh
  • Reply 91 of 103
    What apple bug, it's a chrome bug, check the original ai article :rolleyes:
    Ps. Guys something's got to be done about huddler and smillies I am still getting question marks on the left where the smilies I presume ar esupposed to be and no smilie shortcut ever appears in anything other than a question mark on mobile safari...ok we kinda accepted the blank spaces between posts (I wouldn't say gotten used to them) but to not be able to post the occasional emoticon...shhhhisssh

I can never show a smilie. Not sure what's going on. Post feedback on http://forums.appleinsider.com/f/12/feedback ?
  • Reply 92 of 103
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I like the absence of smileys. Unfortunately, I sometimes do see them, sometimes not. Perhaps it has to do with the 'type of smiley', but I don't like blinking stuff on webpages that has a lot of text I want to read. Anyone kno of a smiley blocker?

PS Yoko likes 'em! [URL=http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smilesfilm/id536220280?mt=8]iTunes link[/URL]
  • Reply 93 of 103
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    libdem wrote: »
    So he's a troll just because he has a different viewpoint ?
    Also, He has backed up his statement with a quote from the apple site.
    What basis have you to call him a troll,expect your closed,bigoted mind?

Ad hominem attacks are banned according to the rules and regulations.
    And here you are,a moderator,calling another person a troll simply because he does not agree with you.
    Welcome to BigotedInsider people where the moderators want a forum of yes men to massage their egos.

No, we want a forum were people don't come in with inflammatory comments and loaded terminology specifically chosen to disrupt the forum. To call a spade a spade is not bigotry. We don't have a problem with opposing viewpoints, just when people try to come here and make trouble with the locals rather than have a calm discussion.

I'll bet the fix is also worthy of a new version number.

Really. What is it, a new version number every four months?

dennyl wrote: »
    Chrome was my default browser, but I gave up using it a few months ago because it was causing my 2009 MacBook Pro to freeze every couple of days or so (running current version of OS X). Now I've gone back to using Firefox it never freezes. I occasionally start Chrome just to see if there''s been a software update, because I dare not use it as it is.

Firefox freezes too. That you haven't had it, good for you. I've not discerned a significant difference among the group of Firefox, Safari and Chrome, they all hog memory and they all have stability problems after a while, so I end up rotating among those three.

Not the most informed post I have to say. Chrome on iOS is slower than Safari as *Apple* does not allow programs which use uiwebview (browsers cannot have their own rendering engine on iOS) to use the Nitro javascript engine.

Chrome uses the same rendering engine that Safari does, so the rendering engine shouldn't be a problem.

sr2012 wrote: »
    Yeah I had a funny feeling Chrome was causing some beach balling here and there, so I deleted Flash, then after a few weeks I just deleted Chrome. Screw it.
    Never had problems with Firefox in the past few months, especially hammering 12 website tabs or more (no, not pr9n, I can't handle that level of "stimulation").

As far as I'm concerned, all the browsers have problems to relatively similar degrees. I've been using Firefox over half a decade and it's been getting worse. Maybe it can't handle its legacy data in profiles, but I've had it happen on different computers.
    hill60 wrote: »
    Why did Apple develop WebKit?

Was it:-

a) for a new browser called "Safari"

b) something to do, because it was fun

c) an evil way to collect more "apple tax" from iSheeps

The original development of WebKit was outside of Apple, for a Linux window manager. While Apple is a major force, others have a hand in it too. Google has some acknowledgements in Safari. Along with Lucent, Netscape, Cambridge and many other contributors.
  • Reply 94 of 103

mac books and goggle chrome don't mix the programs are different duh!!

• Reply 95 of 103
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    No, we want a forum were people don't come in with inflammatory comments and loaded terminology specifically chosen to disrupt the forum. To call a spade a spade is not bigotry. We don't have a problem with opposing viewpoints, just when people try to come here and make trouble with the locals rather than have a calm discussion.

???

Aren't you a global moderator? If you don't want people to "come in with inflammatory comments and loaded terminology specifically chosen to disrupt the forum," you have the ability to stop them. Many of the regular posters are disturbed by recent trends and no one at Apple Insider appears to be doing anything. There seems to be no response to insulting comments made toward members let alone inflammatory or extraneous messages with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response. I have resorted to blocking more than half of all posts in every discussion because of this disturbing trend.
  • Reply 96 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

It can be very easy when you run an installer and it has a little innocuous checkbox asking if you would like to change default X.  That game is played far more on the PC side of the house.  After that the VAST majority of users just don't pay attention to the kinds of details that would clue them in that something significant changed.  They just chalk it up to that darned computer.

That's happened to me exactly zero times in my history of using computers. Are you seriously saying users are installing Chrome without their knowledge?

• Reply 97 of 103
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    That's happened to me exactly zero times in my history of using computers. Are you seriously saying users are installing Chrome without their knowledge?

Yes. These same users are the ones who have google toolbars, ask toolbars, yahoo toolbars, bing toolbars all running in ie.

If you worked in the IT industry with thousands of users you would see that the vast majority of users are complete and utter idiots who a) never read anything when installing a program and b) never question the fact that their browser has changed, only happy in that they have regained the 3 inches of screen that they previously lost to toolbars.
  • Reply 98 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Yes. These same users are the ones who have google toolbars, ask toolbars, yahoo toolbars, bing toolbars all running in ie.

If you worked in the IT industry with thousands of users you would see that the vast majority of users are complete and utter idiots who a) never read anything when installing a program and b) never question the fact that their browser has changed, only happy in that they have regained the 3 inches of screen that they previously lost to toolbars.

Toolbars I would believe but not a whole browser considering the steps you have to go through.

• Reply 99 of 103
    irnchriz wrote: »

This is why I believe in "post-web" development. The WWW is a morass of nonsense for the most part. It's like wading through thicker and thicker mud to get to what I want. Then again maybe this is just a basic usability thing which most people have no clue about, including "professionals".

Something has happened. We are now in a post-PC post-Web world. And only a handful of people get this.
  • Reply 100 of 103
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

irnchriz wrote: »

Toolbars I would believe but not a whole browser considering the steps you have to go through.

I agree, a lot of software installers try to install toolbars, and many do it in very sneaky ways. There are a lot of people that aren't paying any attention to what they're doing, but that's besides the point: I've never seen a case where a user installed a web browser without deliberately wanting it. For that, I would have to say *Citation Needed. I won't say it's impossible, but seems unlikely that it's happened very often. A toolbar is a very small piece of data, maybe can be made to fit several kb, a web browser is hundreds of megabytes.