21% of iOS users say they wouldn't leave Apple at any price

Comments

• Reply 101 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

I agree 100% and the idea that any company actually cares about their customers any further than making money is really just a fairy tale.

The passion some people show to a brand/product is quite sickening and the hatred towards other brand/products is equally pathetic.

Any company that seemingly doesn't care (or gives their flagshipOS) product away for free will be doomed to irrelevancy in that market, the product may survive but the company's ties to it will eventually be forgotten since they couldn't have sold the product at any price in order to compete with what was already available(iOS). Googles problem is that they are desperate to be relevant in areas other than search, and will do anything even as self defeating as giving it all away for free to be like Apple. Any lame person that shows loyalty to that type of company is pathetic.

• Reply 102 of 155
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    21% is actually very good. That's obviously a very good chunk of the high end of the intelligence bell curve. At the other end are Android users who would eat your face off, beard or not. :-)

I am forgetting how many folks are new to Apple. I still tend to think in terms of Apple users as being long term users. I'm sure of those the number would almost 100% that wouldn't switch at any price.
  • Reply 103 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

It will take a lot for me to switch from Apple. I am invested, I know the platform in and out, the quality is top notch and I like the company and the way it does business. Why switch? If Apple goes downhill I will cut it a lot of latitude before I act. If a Samsung device is marginally better, so what? If the new Win Phone is great, so what? I love my technology but I have better things to do than switch - its a big deal and huge time waster unless you have no other stuff to do. Sticking to an inferior product may be cheating yourself but it depends on the level of inferiority. By the time I upgraded to my ip4 my ip3 was decidedly an inferior product, but I lived with it for quite a while. I have never tried an Android or Windows phone and I have no real desire to. In order to figure it out I'd have to spend hours at it and those hours are highly precious to me. I am sure there are aspects of other platforms that are marginally better than IOS or OSX, but hardly worth making a wholesale shift for. If I had to use only Picasa instead of iPhoto I am sure I would be just as happy as I am now, but its not worth the bother while iPhoto is still a great product. I ran an XP machine for a few years way back and it truly left a sour taste in my mouth. Oh, and it cost me so many lost hours I am not sure if I am over it yet. 

These are the reasons why Mac sales are so low.  There is little reason for people to bother with it.

• Reply 104 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I just hate Microsoft.  I hate Microsoft because of Vista.

That is not a good reason to hate a company.  One product, which is no longer made, is trivial.

I hate M$ because of their attempts to stifle innovation in the mid to late 1990's, most especially their antitrust violations and attempts to kill Netscape.  If not for M$, then consumer computer technology would have advanced much more quickly during that era.

• Reply 105 of 155
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

These are the reasons why Mac sales are so low.  There is little reason for people to bother with it.

How do you explain Mac sales outgrowing the industry? How do you explain Mac OS increasing against Windows, not shrinking? How do you explain the growth of the iPhone and iPad if the technology they had previously was too much trouble to switch from?

I hope that Apple has a new Mac campaign on the ready because I think ML is great for users and an easy transition for iOS users. On top of that Win8 is a very disjointed system between the standard UI, Metro, ARM and Intel versions. I think people will be confused and unhappy. Even more so than with Vista. Apple needs to capitalize on that.

Will make them have half of MS's PC OS user base? Absolutely not! That simply won't happen when it's Apple v. all the PC OEMs. For Apple to have slightly over half the PC OS sales means they have to have over half the PC HW sales. Apple already takes 1/3rd of all PC profits worldwide with 10x the percentage they will have nearly all of it. It's simply not a possibility which is why an OS used by hundreds of vendors, and free to boot, should be trouncing Apple and yet between Android and iOS Android is still barely ahead.
  • Reply 106 of 155

Quote:

For me it's about having the best of both worlds I guess.

Careful there, or else you will blow some minds.  

Those who think in black/white are not able to admire the beauty of a rainbow.

• Reply 107 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How do you explain Mac sales outgrowing the industry? How do you explain Mac OS increasing against Windows, not shrinking? 

It is the law of small numbers.  10 times almost nothing is still almost nothing.  OTOH, 1.1 times a huge number is still a huge number.

If you look only at one factor, "10 vs. 1.1", then you are impressed.  If you look at the magnitude of the other number, "<1 vs. >9",  then not so much.

Quote:

between Android and iOS Android is still barely ahead.

Not in the cellphone market.  There, Android outsells iOS around 3:1.

• Reply 108 of 155
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

It is the law of small numbers.  10 times almost nothing is still almost nothing.  OTOH, 1.1 times a huge number is still a huge number.

If you look only at one factor, "10 vs. 1.1", then you are impressed.  If you look at the magnitude of the other number, then not so much.

Not in the cellphone market.  There, Android outsells iOS around 3:1.

Twice in one post you've foolishly compared Apple's HW to an OS. You've even gone one step farther by saying that all of Apple's IOS ecosystem and platform is irrelveant and that only the iPhone HW should be used when compared to the Android OS platform and ecosystem. Well done¡
  • Reply 109 of 155

To not base ones purchase based on what the product has to offer vs. its competition is a clear sign of a fool.

• Reply 110 of 155

> "Android is barely ahead"

LOL.  You better check your facts.  In the smartphone world, Android is approaching a 3:1 ratio.  In the tablet world, yeah, iPad is clearly the victor.

• Reply 111 of 155
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    mstone wrote: »
    Maps...
    mstone wrote: »
    Unless they get that public transit scheduling under control it could be a game changer for me. I use the maps feature all the time and the new Apple version does not look so good to me. I don't need turn by turn or 3D fly over ( I have turn by turn in all my cars). I like a lot of detail in both standard and satellite view as well as Street View and Google delivers a nice map solution in my opinion. I also like the map API that allows me to create my own maps with my own points of interest, import kml files and graphical annotations and publish it to the web. Not that the later customization features really affect a mobile device but it is nice to have one integrated platform to work from. I see Apple's abandonment of Google Maps as a net negative for the iOS ecosystem.

I don't see one app making or breaking a platform for a lot of people. Besides, isn't Google going to provide their own iOS Maps app? I recall they are. Until we know for sure otherwise, I don't think that's truly going to be a problem for you, much less the customer base as a whole.
    Phone is a galaxy nexus. I love the larger screen and stock google experience got an iPad last month. My computer is a custom made box with an Asus motherboard, Amd processor (Best performance for you buck) and video card, Western digital hard drive, Cooler master case, with a rosewell power supply. I run unbuto most of the time except for games and netflix, then its windows 7. I give my money to who ever has the superior product when I walk into the store.

You walk into a store to buy those parts? Wow. In the PC parts ecosystem, I just don't see where you're getting the best parts in retail, the depth and breadth of selection is usually lacking. Retail is a fall-back position for me, where I need a part today, rather than being able to wait a day or two.

Last month, I assembled a computer out of parts for the first time in a decade, and frankly, the situation hasn't improved very much, bad documentation with copious engrish still tops the list, even on some of the name brand parts. The front panel indicator connector system should have been replaced a decade ago.
  • Reply 112 of 155

I couldn't have said it any better!

I vote with my money.  If a company makes a product that I want and at a price that I'm willing to pay and without compromising the quality of the product then that company will get my money.  I still don't own a tablet.  At one point I thought about getting an iPad and then I decided to get an ASUS Transformer Prime but now my first tablet will be a Nexus 7 and my second tablet will be an ASUS TF700.  In addition, I will phase out my two Apple TVs with Sony NSZ-GS7s and when my iMac dies it will be replaced with a computer that I am building.

• Reply 113 of 155

Sorry, my comment was in reply to Apple v. Samsung's original post.

• Reply 114 of 155
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Quote:

Fair enough and obviously you are entitled to your opinion and will vote with your purchases. I will be happy enough to move to another product if it suits me, brand loyalty is really for children, it's about what product suits your purpose at the time.

Not sure what you mean by your last sentence though. Companies really only care about one thing from my point of view.

I think we may have different understandings of the term 'brand loyalty." You seem to suggest that it refers to blind devotion to a particular brand due entirely to some irrational sentimental attachment. While I acknowledge there's a kernel of truth in there, I think it's important to consider what the company did to earn the user's loyalty in the first place. Apple has earned my loyalty while their competitors have earned my distrust.

I don't consider an iPhone just a phone. It's a part of an integrated ecosystem that works great for me and keeps me happy. I had a broken iPhone replaced and within 30 minutes all my settings, apps, data, preferences, passwords, bookmarks, etc., were restored over wireless internet without any hassle. It was as if the phone had never been replaced. Pretty sure no other phone can do that - certainly not as easily. Same or similar experience would occur if it were an iPad or if buying a new MacBook. Effortless data transfer and synchronization. I'm selling my 4 year old MacBook on ebay for around $800. Pretty sure a 4 year old Dell has zero resale value after 4 years, assuming it's still working. My Airport router practically set itself up, and the Airport Utility configuration app is ridiculously easy to use compared with the prehistoric html-based settings screens provided by Dlink or Linksys. Even tiny little details like on OSX when I am renaming a file, the OS automatically selects the filename for editing without also changing the file extension. On Windows this same task requires you to tediously deselect the file extension first. Seems silly, but when you're in a hurry that annoying extra step is infuriating. Nobody else pays such attention to such small details. individually they seem minor but cumulatively they add up to an enormous difference.  

Do you think you're Google's customer? Do you think you're Facebook's customer? You're not. You are the product they're selling to advertisers. The advertisers' interests come way before yours. Similarly do you think Microsoft thinks of you as their customer? Their customers are the enterprise IT buyers and PC makers who license Windows. How about Samsung, Nokia, RIM? They serve the mobile carriers first and you last.

As a publicly held corporation, Apple is responsible to their shareholders. But they've repeatedly demonstrated that they will increase the company's value in their own way by putting the customer first, and resisting retarded Wall Street pressure to make shortsighted decisions that would hurt their product, their customers and their long term success. Can't say the same for too many other corporations...

• Reply 115 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Are you suggesting that Android fans aren't just as rabid or worse? The person you are commenting about is on a public forum which is on a website dedicated to Apple.

I expect wildly enthusiastic Apple fanaticism on a website dedicated to Apple.

I don't expect widely enthusiastic fanaticism about competitor products and services on a website dedicated to Apple yet we see that theme played out time and again. To what purpose?

What of those wildly enthusiastic fanatics of Apple competitors on supposedly unbiased websites?

Are there hordes of wildly enthusiastic Apple fanatics who are compelled to post in forums of websites dedicated to Apple competitors? I just don't see this absurd phenomenon by Apple fanatics on websites dedicated to Android.

There seems to be a double standard. Which company has fans which are more fanatical and self affirming (afflicted by a reality distortion field)?

No, I didn't intend to imply that.  I've been to a few sites where the Android fans are much worse.  I would certainly expect folks that frequent this site to be extremely pro-Apple, it's just the "if you don't use Apple products you're a moron" mentality that I occasionally see that annoys me.  I don't get why being pro-something has to mean you're also anti-something else.  I like iOS and Android both...both have come up with some really good ideas.  And I agree with you - there certainly shouldn't be a double standard.

• Reply 116 of 155
    ewanewan Posts: 36member

...and 100% likely they are sheep. Bah!

I love my Apple devices, but if something better came along, I'd leave. 

• Reply 117 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think what you don't understand s but for iOS androids would have plastic keyboards and look like BBs.

Android_before_after_iphone_tekgadg.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1320809333019

• Reply 118 of 155

Quote:

The passion some people show to a brand/product is quite sickening and the hatred towards other brand/products is equally pathetic.

Both are well earned by years of experience.

• Reply 119 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Palmer View Post

> "Android is barely ahead"

LOL.  You better check your facts.  In the smartphone world, Android is approaching a 3:1 ratio.  In the tablet world, yeah, iPad is clearly the victor.

Android is "ahead" in large part due to the many low priced models they sell and also because salespeople are incentivized to push them over iPhones. With tablets, there is no mobile contract, therefore no mobile phone salesperson incentivized to push the inferior product, hence the iPad's complete domination of the tablet market. (Not counting Kindle, since that's really a separate product category)

• Reply 120 of 155
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

How is Apple's ecosystem better than Android's?

There are hundreds of examples one could potentially marshall to show how Apple's vertical business model provides the most integrated, seamless, robust software/hardware ecosystem in consumer tech today. 

But pay no attention to that. Pay no attention to the fact that everyone and their dog in the industry is trying to copy it. Pay no attention to the fact that Apple's ecosystem inspires long lineups and breathless anticipation. Pay no attention that whenever the "competition" released a new device, consumers, pundits, and really the entire industry hurries to compare it to the Apple product it most resembles (that is running Apple software.) Stuff like that doesn't happen by accident. But just forget all that. 

And DO pay attention to the Consumer satisfaction reports released year after year, that put Apple - ALL of their products (that just so happen to run Apple software) - right at the top of the rankings, if not way, way ahead of whoever is in the #2 position, year after year. 

Then sit back and connect the dots. If you *still* can't understand it after all that, well . . . RIM could always use another suit to sit on their board. While it lasts.