Microsoft faces 'major dilemma' pricing Surface tablets against iPad

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 209
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member

The "dilemma" is that even people that use Windows a lot don't think much of Windows 8 Basic/ Home/ Super/ Tablet/ Intel/ ARM/ Premium/ Super Premium/ Black/ White/ Whatever.

• Reply 202 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

SkyDrive (existing users) = 25GB for $0/year 

SkyDrive (new users) = 27GB for $10/year

iCloud = 25GB for $40/year

Just sayin'

Fair enough, however the iOS and Mac cloud services are very seamless nowadays. Not perfect, but much, much improved. Compare that with on Xbox360 everything is about forcing you to pay many dollars a month for Xbox Live just to have cloud saved games. And most iCloud services = free for $0/year

• Reply 203 of 209
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

BA HA HA HA HA! Using a mouse… with a tablet! AH HA HA HA HA!

Question? When you plug a mouse into a tablet, does it cease being a tablet and become a PC?

• Reply 204 of 209
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallaOnnaBudget View Post

You're incorrect, the title clearly states Surface cost. Microsoft is the only one making ghe surface not OEM's. So either the title is wrong or the data is.

Stop being intentionally misleading, or maybe just bother to actually read for comprehension in the first place.

The title is about the Surface and how its pricing will affect the OEM Surface market.  The table is very obviously labelled as to the OEM "Surface style" tablet pricing constraints, the constraints in the Windows tablet space which are tight because of how MS will price the Surface.  Nothing wrong there other than your ability to read or follow at least a half dozen previous posts on the content of the table and what it meant.  Sure nobody has spelled it out as explicitly as I have here, it wasn't necessary as everyone else seems to understand once their initial too fast glance was re-calibrated.  You seem to be the lone holdout in the reading comprehension fail club.

• Reply 205 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Question? When you plug a mouse into a tablet, does it cease being a tablet and become a PC?

It becomes a P.O.S**T.

• Reply 206 of 209
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    allblue wrote: »
    What? Based on that presentation alone? That's one hell of an act of faith.
    I'd buy one, but it's not based on that presentation alone.

I've used the software and I like it. It's got a lot of good features that I like, like being able to pin individual books from the kindle app to the start screen, and the tiles updating to show me there's something new in them or giving me the info I want without having to open them.

But as well as that my iPad convinces me I want one. The surface is the same weight, same thickness and has a kickstand and keyboard. Right now I'm sitting at a table with my iPad, the reply box I'm typing into is bigger than the gap left by the on screen keyboard. If my iPads smart cover had a keyboard I would totally flip that thing round and start using it as a laptop.

When it comes to hardware there isn't a huge amount to it. It's got to look good, be the right weight and not be a brick. The surface matches the iPad on all of them. At some point I'd probably pick one up to check all the weight wasnt at one end, but the reviews so far say its well balanced so I'm not to concerned. After all I did by an iPad 3 based on 1 presentation and never seeing one.
  • Reply 207 of 209
    hexorhexor Posts: 57member
    Just as long as you remember you will still have to use a table or other hard surface to type on since the touch cover is flexible and not rigid like a normal keyboard. So in a way it will be slightly worse then a computer like the MacBook air 11" which would allow you to still use the keyboard on your lap.
  • Reply 208 of 209
    4phun4phun Posts: 51member

Quote:

But as well as that my iPad convinces me I want one. The surface is the same weight, same thickness and has a kickstand and keyboard. Right now I'm sitting at a table with my iPad, the reply box I'm typing into is bigger than the gap left by the on screen keyboard. If my iPads smart cover had a keyboard I would totally flip that thing round and start using it as a laptop.

I think it would be significantly cheaper to  buy one of the new Micro Thin Keyboard covers for the iPad instead of investing in a poorly supported Microsoft surface subject to many development changes over the next couple of years.

There may be a new 10" iPad before the surface even releases according to a new rumor. I will wait and see what September brings from Apple.

• Reply 209 of 209
    hexor wrote: »
    Just as long as you remember you will still have to use a table or other hard surface to type on since the touch cover is flexible and not rigid like a normal keyboard. So in a way it will be slightly worse then a computer like the MacBook air 11" which would allow you to still use the keyboard on your lap.

4phun wrote: »
    I think it would be significantly cheaper to  buy one of the new Micro Thin Keyboard covers for the iPad instead of investing in a poorly supported Microsoft surface subject to many development changes over the next couple of years.

There may be a new 10" iPad before the surface even releases according to a new rumor. I will wait and see what September brings from Apple.

Can someone say D.O.A. Just like Steve dissing the 7", I thought he was overstating the problem with 7"... However, vindication is a dish best served with rosemary lamb.