Apple shutters MobileMe, keeps data available for 'limited time'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member

And I thought most, if not all ISPs, give free webspace. With my Internet plan I have 100mbs of free webspace. If you need a WYSIWYG there's KompoZer and ftp try Cyberduck.

• Reply 22 of 78
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedSeeker View Post

I am also struggling to understand this decision(to close MobileMe), over 60% of my documents are not compatible with iCloud, it will be easier to move from iOS to Android now, as Dropbox is now a lot better than what iCloud has to offer which is quite minimal. I know Dropbox has an app for iOS as well, but the main reason I used MobileMe was because I was happier with it's security, now that it's gone I have nothing really keeping me tied to the iOS platform..

I doubt anybody else was using Apple products strictly for Mobile Me. The reality is Mobile Me started going down hill after it changed from free iTools. I miss Apple's iCards, which was the best free online card service. 

With that said, Mobile Me had to die so Apple could invest heavily in iCloud, which I think is going back in the right direction: namely free services to compete with Google. Mobile Me and iCloud were incompatible technologies. Further, people complaining about the loss of Mobile Me's web hosting services have lots of better options available. For less money you can use a company like Blue Host to host multiple websites, have  hundreds of email addresses, and tons of storage.

Finally, switching to Android for security is pretty funny. 

• Reply 23 of 78
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Agreed.  I don't think anyone likely to post to this kind of a thread wants to hear it but the real solution is just to move on.  

The kind of websites facilitated by iWeb and MobileMe Galleries were terribly passé even in the late 90's.  Why not get excited about the future and look forward to what's to come, instead of worrying over the pristine state of your 1990's vanity site?  No one is going to visit your website of family photos except your mum anyway.  Look forward to sharing your photos on shared photostreams next year instead of trying to code a whole silly "official website" around them.  It's a better solution for the same problem.  

No kidding. It blows my mind how some seem so concerned about their iWeb sites, all outraged that Apple will drop support. It's such an archaic, outdated paradigm. Any iWeb site for any kind of professional use would be utterly amateurish, unprofessional, and limited today, and any iweb site for personal use has a billion better alternatives. There simply is no  room and no need for iWeb today, its an outdated form of web publication. I can't think of a single use that can't be served better by another alternative. Apple realizes this, and apprently some inflexible people stuck in the past and utterly unwilling to change don't. Too bad for them. 

• Reply 24 of 78
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Somehow I've not paid attention to this. What about the @me.com email accounts? Will they still work or are they migrating to @icloud.com?

• Reply 25 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Somehow I've not paid attention to this. What about the @me.com email accounts? Will they still work or are they migrating to @icloud.com?

As iCloud is based on @me.com e-mail addresses, I would imagine so. There are no @icloud.com addresses available to the public.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

What was niece for me was the free Web hosting provided by MobileMe, together with iWeb. Although iWeb will probably not be supported anymore .. it still works, and I have found an alternate host for my site (created with iWeb). I have to say I have trouble to understand the logic behind this decision, but time will probably tell ....

In typically Apple fashion they dropped something that wasn't working up to their standards, or at least the parts that weren't working. And probably weren't really being used that much anyway (something they would have the data to back up). Given that there are other companies that have gotten many of the dropped things right Apple is leaving it to those folks for at least the foreseeable future. 

They changed the name to shake off the bad taste that MobileMe's failings left in many users mouths and dropped the price since they don't have the same overhead costs. Basically the cost of running this is part of all those 'other costs' that are included in the prices of the iPhones, iPads, computers that you buy to use the service

• Reply 27 of 78
    jeffhrsnjeffhrsn Posts: 60member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedSeeker View Post

I am also struggling to understand this decision(to close MobileMe), over 60% of my documents are not compatible with iCloud

What in the world could have "compatible" with MobileMe that is not "compatible" with iCloud? Lost me BIG time.

• Reply 28 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jeffhrsn wrote: »
    What in the world could have "compatible" with MobileMe that is not "compatible" with iCloud? Lost me BIG time.

iDisk allows you to do any file. iCloud lets you do whatever files are compatible with whatever applications have cloud document syncing.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trilogy View Post

I hope iWeb will still be part of the next version of iLife, because to be honest I haven't found anything that's as simple to use. I tried RapidWeaver, Sandvox, etc, but didn't like any of them.

Only if they give it a serious overhaul. iWeb actually sucked in many ways. The resulting code was horrid and bloated, you couldn't customize the templates or make your own, every page had it's own image assets rather than using common ones which meant you were sucking up drive space you shouldn't have to be using. And the whole widgets thing was a joke it was so bad. 

If they make it more like MacFlux and such they would have something that would be just as easy to use and wouldn't result in such horrid sites. 

that it sucked so much is why I suspect they dropped it. That it had no iOS support would be another reason. That their servers constantly had issues with the whole iDisk side of things would be yet another. 

• Reply 30 of 78

There's a million free alternatives to iDisk, that do the same thing and more, from dropbox to box.net, to Google drive, etc etc. There is absolutely nothing unique about iDisk, or any reason why you can't move everything there to some other random cloud document storage solution. 

• Reply 31 of 78
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Mail works exactly as it did before with no visible changes. You can still access it online (https://www.icloud.com/), or over any IMAP4 client (over SSL), so it still works in Snow Leopard's Mail and Windows Outlook. Your MobileMe login credentials still work as before. Your email is still @me.

• Reply 32 of 78
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As iCloud is based on @me.com e-mail addresses, I would imagine so. There are no @icloud.com addresses available to the public.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Mail works exactly as it did before with no visible changes. You can still access it online (https://www.icloud.com/), or over any IMAP4 client (over SSL), so it still works in Snow Leopard's Mail and Windows Outlook. Your MobileMe login credentials still work as before. Your email is still @me.

Thanks. I use a gmail acct for my iCloud acct. But my kids are on mobileme with @me email accts. And I forgot to help them migrate. Thanks!

• Reply 33 of 78
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrr View Post

I am quite upset with Apple about the MoblieMe to iCloud transition.

It REQUIRED me to upgrade to Lion when on the PC people can still use XP and even Vista!!!  

Vista vs. Snow Leopard?

In doing so, I lost access to many important legacy Rosetta apps that were important to my workflow.  

Sucks.

Microsoft relies on legacy. It's what holds them back and in part what's holding back the entire industry. Count it as a blessing that Apple's taken a forward-looking approach. 

Your "workflow" is VERY outdated. Find alternatives. They're out there, but you do need to adapt a little bit. This is required of human beings from time to time. Remember?

Apple's been supporting PPC since 1992. It's been 20 years. They've just ended it recently. Apple has done more than their fair share of supporting old-ass applications. 

But here's the good news: you can still run Snow Leopard on another partition. Presto. You can keep using your PPC apps. 

• Reply 34 of 78

It's easier just using the FTP info in iWeb from any web hosting company to transfer your site. I just did it the other day. I just got the required server info, password and directory - entered it into the section in iWeb and my site was transferred. It's the same site....no need to have the files converted and the need to then modify a site you designed in iWeb......

• Reply 35 of 78
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Yes there are many alternatives to all of the MobileMe services, but the point is they were a single solution from Apple. They marketed the whole shebang as "it just works".

Well not anymore.

Yes, Gallery is coming back to iCloud as Photo Sharing. And theoretically, most of iDisk will be replaced with document sharing enabled within apps. (I've currently switched to One.com for a variety of reasons but automatic synching is a big plus).

But a lot of what iDisk did, and probably why Apple is limiting file sharing in the cloud can't be done anymore ... No more pirated movies shared to friends to download. Right now, no more Word documents either and that is the rub. Would it really have been so hard to leave iDisk in place until the iCloud solution was ready?

And let's not forget devices that are not even two years old that can not use iCloud, like the iPhone 3G. The solutions for iOS 3.1.3 products is seriously limited. And yes there's a life for them ... A family that has passed down their perfectly functionality iPhones to the kids, now suddenly face many technological hurtles to enjoy the services the phones were not only sold with, but they depended on. Services like find my iPhone (and thus your kid) no longer work in iCloud with older devices.

Then there's the Lion requirement to run iCloud, and Mountain Lion is going to be required to run PhotoSharing, leaving behind numerous perfectly functioning Macs. Forced obsolescence. And really, we're only talking about synchronizing data, not reinventing the wheel. Many around the web have proven that with a little hacking the iCloud data can be tricked into working with MobileMe on those Snow Leopard Macs and older iOS devices. Those this is just seems to be a greedy and short-sighted move by Apple.

While there may be better alternatives for iWeb and hosting, it's kind of a pain for the average Mac user to navigate those waters. MobileMe put all of those services in ine neat bundle that worked together.

Now Apple has sent those consumers scrambling.

What about the guy who just lost his job in this economy. He has a core duo Mac that won't run Lion and thus iCloud. He had his resume on iWeb, and used his iPhone 3G to go out on job interviews, add contacts, get reminders of appointments, and access samples of his work on iDisk. Now all of that is broken, at a time when he can least afford to spend more money to upgrade his Apple products, or spend the time trying to figure out how to make it work with numerous third parties, entrusting his personal and private data with several companies which may not be there tomorrow, instead of one company Apple which is one of the most stable on the planet.
  • Reply 36 of 78
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

No kidding. It blows my mind how some seem so concerned about their iWeb sites, all outraged that Apple will drop support. It's such an archaic, outdated paradigm. Any iWeb site for any kind of professional use would be utterly amateurish, unprofessional, and limited today, and any iweb site for personal use has a billion better alternatives. There simply is no  room and no need for iWeb today, its an outdated form of web publication. I can't think of a single use that can't be served better by another alternative. Apple realizes this, and apprently some inflexible people stuck in the past and utterly unwilling to change don't. Too bad for them. 

I disagree. I use iWeb all the time, I just upload to my own FTP (so I can use my own domain). I've tried virtually every other Windows/Mac based alternative, I still am yet to find ONE that beats iWeb in its simplicity and ease-of-use. Do I use one of the god-awful templates? No, I took mine from Pages and make a custom-designed website. I hope the reason why they dropped iWeb was because they were going to introduce an 'iApp' or something, where you can make a website, app, mobile site, etc. using a WSIWYG editor (or something along the lines of that).

• Reply 37 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Yes there are many alternatives to all of the MobileMe services, but the point is they were a single solution from Apple. They marketed the whole shebang as "it just works".
    Well not anymore.

Yes, Gallery is coming back to iCloud as Photo Sharing. And theoretically, most of iDisk will be replaced with document sharing enabled within apps. (I've currently switched to One.com for a variety of reasons but automatic synching is a big plus).

But a lot of what iDisk did, and probably why Apple is limiting file sharing in the cloud can't be done anymore ... No more pirated movies shared to friends to download. Right now, no more Word documents either and that is the rub. Would it really have been so hard to leave iDisk in place until the iCloud solution was ready?

It does suck but there is nothing anyone can do about it. The integration of so many things is why I paid for .Mac and then MM every year since it was launched. There are pros though and the negatives of havign to use an alternative service also has it's pros.

For instance, iDisk was a slow, unencrypted, unintelligent mess that should have been canned or rebuilt many years ago. If you wanted to send a document with personal information on it via iDIsk and were on an unsecured network that data could be easily be sniffed by another else on it. This isn't good! If you wanted to send a 1.5GB movie to someone you had to wait for it to complete or you'd have to send the entire file again.

Systems like Dropbox break up your files in the background and use a 256-bit AES encryption scheme for transmission. If you have to use a coffee shop then you know your data is protected. If you have to shut down your MacBook before the 1.5GB movie finishes you know that what you've already sent is still on the server waiting for the rest to resume when you log back in. These modern solutions even have versions and delta updating. That means if you have a 1GB document file that has your doctorate thesis on it and you change only a single word that only the changes will be uploaded, not the entire 1GB, and if you want to then revert to the previous edit you can easily do so.

This is what iCloud needs! iDisk shows Apple's irresponsibility as a company. For those that say the user should beware and those that didn't encrypt their private data first before adding to iCloud I say "**** you!" because the average user should not have to think about these things. They should just work and iDisk hasn't worked for a very long time.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    vanfrunikenvanfruniken Posts: 262member

Quote:

But here's the good news: you can still run Snow Leopard on another partition. Presto. You can keep using your PPC apps. 

Even though it may not be fully kosher, I have tried running Tiger and Leopard under VirtualBox on Lion. It works, and has the advantage that you don't have to reboot. Sucks up more resources than a Wine-like API would do, though. Having lots of memory helps -a lot. But I could still run Rosetta apps if I wanted to, or build legacy java/Obj-C apps with XCode 2.5. One could use the technique to quickly migrate java code to Obj-C, without having to live days and weeks with Tiger or Leopard only booted up (e.g., w.o, a decent up-to-date time machine backup, and more modern versions of mail, address book, syncing, chat, facetime etc)

• Reply 39 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Well not anymore.

And let's not forget devices that are not even two years old that can not use iCloud, like the iPhone 3G. The solutions for iOS 3.1.3 products is seriously limited. And yes there's a life for them ... A family that has passed down their perfectly functionality iPhones to the kids, now suddenly face many technological hurtles to enjoy the services the phones were not only sold with, but they depended on. Services like find my iPhone (and thus your kid) no longer work in iCloud with older devices.

Then there's the Lion requirement to run iCloud, and Mountain Lion is going to be required to run PhotoSharing, leaving behind numerous perfectly functioning Macs. Forced obsolescence. And really, we're only talking about synchronizing data, not reinventing the wheel. Many around the web have proven that with a little hacking the iCloud data can be tricked into working with MobileMe on those Snow Leopard Macs and older iOS devices. Those this is just seems to be a greedy and short-sighted move by Apple.

While there may be better alternatives for iWeb and hosting, it's kind of a pain for the average Mac user to navigate those waters. MobileMe put all of those services in ine neat bundle that worked together.

Now Apple has sent those consumers scrambling.

What about the guy who just lost his job in this economy. He has a core duo Mac that won't run Lion and thus iCloud. He had his resume on iWeb, and used his iPhone 3G to go out on job interviews, add contacts, get reminders of appointments, and access samples of his work on iDisk. Now all of that is broken, at a time when he can least afford to spend more money to upgrade his Apple products, or spend the time trying to figure out how to make it work with numerous third parties, entrusting his personal and private data with several companies which may not be there tomorrow, instead of one company Apple which is one of the most stable on the planet.

The iPhone 3G is less than 2 yrs old? really? Last I checked, it was released in 2008, making it 4 years old. Are you lying to make a point, or just insanely misinformed? The rest of your post contains this same type of drivel, ending with a hypothetical case of an imaginary human being, with an imaginary workflow that you use to 'prove your point' about how consumers are being 'screwed'. I'm not sure if there's a single human being on the planet that is in that exact situation you came up with, but even if there was, it wouldnt make an ounce of difference. I like how you try to use the sympathy card and the economy to create some sort of contrived emotion.  Furthermore, I know dozens upon dozens of people with macs, and not a single one uses iWeb. Your post is typical of those posts that focus on an extreme niche group of cases, who in no way represent a significant percentage of Apple's customers, and use this in order to try to convince others of how bad Apple's progress is. Newsflash- progress, of any kind, will ALWAYS inconvenience a percentage of people for a certain amount of time. In this case, this percentage is extremely small, as is the potential inconvenience, which has dozens of solutions. For the VAST majority of people, iCloud is a much better solution that actually makes their lives easier and more efficient. Your case sample of hardcore iWeb users who are too hard-headed to have switched to another solution after an extremely generous warning period, and that unemployed guy that uses his iPhone 3G to distribute his resume stored on iCloud (which would be the exact same flow if it was hosted anywhere else) doesn't change that, nor does your cynical, emotionally manipulative angle you're trying to push to make up for the extreme weakness of your argument. 

• Reply 40 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    slurpy wrote: »
    The iPhone 3G is less than 2 yrs old? really? Last I checked, it was released in 2008, making it 4 years old.

He's using the timeline of when Apple stopped selling it as their low-end model, not when Apple started selling it as their high-end model.

Bottom line: If you are buying a low-end phone don't expect that you'll get the 3 years of rich updates and support that other iDevices are known for.