Apple shutters MobileMe, keeps data available for 'limited time'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

What was niece for me was the free Web hosting provided by MobileMe, together with iWeb. Although iWeb will probably not be supported anymore .. it still works, and I have found an alternate host for my site (created with iWeb). I have to say I have trouble to understand the logic behind this decision, but time will probably tell ....

I agree with you. I can maybe understand why they dropped the hosting but not why they dropped iWeb. Apple just doesn't seem interested in their OSX software products anymore. We've had no new versions of iWork for 4 years now so I guess that product is dead to and they haven't mentioned iLife for a while now either. It's one thing to drop a hardware product like the 17" MBP but it's quite different to drop a software product leaving all your customers in the lurch. I simply don't trust Apple on software anymore which is why I'm in the process of migrating back to Microsoft and Adobe software.

• Reply 42 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    shaun, uk wrote: »
    I agree with you. I can maybe understand why they dropped the hosting but not why they dropped iWeb. Apple just doesn't seem interested in their OSX software products anymore. We've had no new versions of iWork for 4 years now so I guess that product is dead to and they haven't mentioned iLife for a while now either. It's one thing to drop a hardware product like the 17" MBP but it's quite different to drop a software product leaving all your customers in the lurch. I simply don't trust Apple on software anymore which is why I'm in the process of migrating back to Microsoft and Adobe software.

Customers are in a lurch? As far as I can tell iWeb and iWork are both Universal apps that still run on Lion and ML so what lurch are they in? Are you defining lurch as not getting rich updates with a new paid version because that's not what lurch means? Are you defining lurch as Apple allowing other apps like MS Office, RapidWeaver and countless others to be used on a Macs because that's not what lurch means?
  • Reply 43 of 78
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member

If items were left on one's iDisk, are they destroyed? How can they (if they can) be retrieved?

• Reply 44 of 78
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member

Deleted...

• Reply 45 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Microsoft relies on legacy. It's what holds them back and in part what's holding back the entire industry. Count it as a blessing that Apple's taken a forward-looking approach. 

Your "workflow" is VERY outdated. Find alternatives. They're out there, but you do need to adapt a little bit. This is required of human beings from time to time. Remember?

Apple's been supporting PPC since 1992. It's been 20 years. They've just ended it recently. Apple has done more than their fair share of supporting old-ass applications. 

But here's the good news: you can still run Snow Leopard on another partition. Presto. You can keep using your PPC apps. 

Exactly! :)

• Reply 46 of 78
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iDisk allows you to do any file. iCloud lets you do whatever files are compatible with whatever applications have cloud document syncing.

I look forward to PDF support with iCloud.

I've always found it ironic that you can walk into an Apple store, purchase a product, and be sent an electronic invoice which can't be stored in iCloud along with the rest of your documents.

Future-Of-iCloud, land on my green smoke now. PDF support required for one casualty.

• Reply 47 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrr View Post

I am quite upset with Apple about the MoblieMe to iCloud transition.

It REQUIRED me to upgrade to Lion when on the PC people can still use XP and even Vista!!!  

Vista vs. Snow Leopard?

In doing so, I lost access to many important legacy Rosetta apps that were important to my workflow.  

Sucks.

I'm in a similar boat....have an original intel iMac that isn't compatible with lion/iCloud. Of course, my iP4s is and my iPad2 is....

One has to keep their eye on the bigger picture, as it were. Apple's engineers, money, resources are concentrated on the latest and greatest hardware and software. They do not allocate precious resources to legacy stuff! 

If my business were doing better, I would have an iPad3, an 11" MBA, a 27" iMac and a 2TB TimeCapsule. But something is amiss, alas, afoot! The recent recession/depression has not allowed me to keep pace with Apple.

But soon, hopefully, soon! :)

Best

• Reply 48 of 78

Deleted...Keep forgetting to hit the "quote" button! ugh!

• Reply 49 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Customers are in a lurch? As far as I can tell iWeb and iWork are both Universal apps that still run on Lion and ML so what lurch are they in? Are you defining lurch as not getting rich updates with a new paid version because that's not what lurch means? Are you defining lurch as Apple allowing other apps like MS Office, RapidWeaver and countless others to be used on a Macs because that's not what lurch means?

Hey SolipX...off topic but is AI aware that twice in the last two days, I've tried to edit my post and the panel just comes up blank? :)

Also...are they aware that reading the comments on the iPhone is just about impossible? 

Thanks and great job as the GM! :)

• Reply 50 of 78
    Hey SolipX...off topic but is AI aware that twice in the last two days, I've tried to edit my post and the panel just comes up blank? :)

Also...are they aware that reading the comments on the iPhone is just about impossible? 

Thanks and great job as the GM! :)

GM? Gorilla Monkey? Guazy Manatee?

Despite the amount of time I seem to spend here I have no formal association with the forum mods or the site admins. I'm just a poster who is also annoyed by the many broken aspects of the new forum that have been rampant for months.
  • Reply 51 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

GM? Gorilla Monkey? Guazy Manatee?

Despite the amount of time I seem to spend here I have no formal association with the forum mods or the site admins. I'm just a poster who is also annoyed by the many broken aspects of the new forum that have been rampant for months.

Oops! Sorry I thought you were a GM! :)

GM: Global Moderator

• Reply 52 of 78
    nukem52nukem52 Posts: 3member
    Whay, whay
  • Reply 53 of 78
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Yeah lurch means they didn't give any fair warning. Yet even after repeated warnings they still let you download your documents for awhile longer after the deadline.

Sure it would have been nice for iDisk to have been transitioned to iCloud but whatever. I am depending on my own infrastructure much more than Apple's now since I have it. Others may not have the resources to create their own cloud like I can so I can understand their frustration but iWeb, give me a break. That was lame from the first day and it is still lame. If you need an amateur website there are plenty of CMS based options available. as many posters have already pointed out.

• Reply 54 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Tip: The editor panel is broken sometimes but I have found an easy fix is to click on the source button and then click it again which effectively resets the editor so you can proceed. I helps anytime the editor is not functioning as expected. Just click the Source button! Not that it is any excuse for the software just a work around.

• Reply 55 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Tip: The editor panel is broken sometimes but I have found an easy fix is to click on the source button and then click it again which effectively resets the editor so you can proceed. I helps anytime the editor is not functioning as expected. Just click the Source button! Not that it is any excuse for the software just a work around.

Thanks Bro! Will do! :)

PS. and now the emoticons aren't working! Ahhhh!

• Reply 56 of 78
    mstone wrote: »

I've never encounteed this problem. it could be that I set my Preferences to use the BB Code Editor instead of the Rich Text [HTML] Editor.

That's been an issue from day one. I can understand, to a point, why it doesn't work with touchscreens but creating a link to an emoticon GIF image would only take a minute.

My work around is to use TextExpander to input various Emoji characters. I've been using this app for years to help me format my comments in a pleasant manner without spending time for each post doing it. It's why my hyperlinks, for example, are always indented and bulleted.

Work smarter, not harder. ~Scrooge McDuck
  • Reply 57 of 78
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    slurpy wrote: »
    The iPhone 3G is less than 2 yrs old? really? Last I checked, it was released in 2008, making it 4 years old. Are you lying to make a point, or just insanely misinformed? 
    No, to both. You are evidently "insanely misinformed", as another on this forum has pointed out as well, and that alone renders the rest of your post moot.

The 3G was sold until June 2010 and is still covered by AppleCare for another healthy year, yet one of the primary features Apple marketed it with - data synchronization with all of Apple's products - is no longer available, and for no reason other than Apple chose not to support it. The only way to get the iPhone 3G talking to the rest of one's Apple family again is to upgrade an otherwise perfectly good phone with a year of AppleCare left on it. Really doesn't matter if it was Apple's entry level phone. The features it was purchased with should at least survive the end of the factory warranty period. I could care less if it could run another single iOS update, but it should at a minimum do everything it could do when originally purchased, at least until the phone is no longer supported under warranty by the manufacturer.
  • Reply 58 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Thanks Bro! Will do! :)

There are all the emoicons available but again you need to know the html code for them and apply it in the source codeimage

• Reply 59 of 78
    kellya74ukellya74u Posts: 171member

deleted

• Reply 60 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    stone wrote: »
    There are all the emoicons available but again you need to know the html code for them and apply it in the source codedevil.gif

Bah, I like emoji better. Plus there're more of them and you can adjust their size. ????

I wonder if Huddler can just drop their emotions and give us a panel for OS-level emoji.

I mean, yeah, I'm sure they can, but it'll be years before they get around to doing it, and that's only after years of enough of us requesting it…