FTC investigating Google, Motorola over FRAND patent abuse

1235»

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I'll post mine when you post a link showing that they won't. In short... Whatever....

    No, that's not how this works.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I'll post mine when you post a link showing that they won't. In short... Whatever....

    Nice try, but you're the one who made the claim that Apple would abuse FRAND patents as badly as Motorola and Google. It's your claim, so you need to support it. I don't have to disprove it.
  • Reply 83 of 92
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I'm just as surprised that Apple's smartphone marketshare isn't higher than it is. They have a first mover advantage, great design, excellent vertical integration with their other products, incredibly effective marketing, smart and experienced management, and total control of their product from OS thru to the product design, thru manufacturing and thru the distribution channels.

    That Google has been able to roll out their somewhat fractured OS thru multiple manufacturers and hardware combinations while still maintaining some semblance of an integrated ecosystem and in only about three years take more than half the smartphone market share is the bigger surprise IMO. Three years ago I figured Apple would be the one closer to that position today (tho not half of the market), as probably a lot of others did.

    I share your view. I see nothing but blue sky instead of real competition. Apple's tight integration between iOS and apps makes for a much safer (not to say foolproof) software review and distribution system. The competition doesn't even try.

    Am I going to trust some app that Apple hasn't vetted to protect my data? I have quite a bit of legally privileged material on iPhones and iPads. My clients and my license depend upon Apple's security system.
  • Reply 84 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,351member


    Agreed. No one else is yet positioned to replace Apple, and there may not be for years.

  • Reply 85 of 92
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post


    Hell yeah they need to be investigated just as Microsoft and Apple should be if the shoes are on the other foot. It either of them were in the same position, they would use the patents to freeze out other companies. Sad but true...



     


    Apple and Microsoft both hold standards based patents subject to FRAND, h.264 for example.


     


    When have they EVER abused them in the way that Google is doing now, i.e. by seeking injunctions to keep competitors out of a market?

  • Reply 86 of 92
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post


    Sure, sure because Apple is a non-for profit organization. They are here for the benefit of mankind.  Get real... If Apple could get away with closing the door on its competitors they would. Contrary to popular belief, Apple is not your friend. They are a seller of products. Period, point, blank. It just so happens that I like what they sell but I am not under the illusion that they are doing me any favors...



     


    Do you use Android or Chrome?


     


    Take a look in the open source licence acknowledgements.


     


    Apple ARE doing you favours, it's there in black and white, Google can't strip those acknowledgements out, they are part of the open source licensing Apple uses.

  • Reply 87 of 92

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post





    No, that's not how this works.


    Seems to be working for me so far.... With that..... Yawnnnnn.....

  • Reply 88 of 92

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post





    Nice try, but you're the one who made the claim that Apple would abuse FRAND patents as badly as Motorola and Google. It's your claim, so you need to support it. I don't have to disprove it.


    I'm not trying anything. In fact I really do not seem to care about this as much as you do. Maybe a slow day on your end but if you insist on keeping this going, I'm game for one last round. Here goes....


     


    As I originally posted: "Hell yeah they need to be investigated just as Microsoft and Apple should be if the shoes are on the other foot. It either of them were in the same position, they would use the patents to freeze out other companies. Sad but true..."... Pretty strong stuff on my part, and pure conjecture. I can say whatever I want as an opinion. Surely you know the difference. If I need to caveat things for you in the future I will gladly. Last thing I want is for you to be confused or mislead by something I said. Soooo to wrap this up, in my opinion, I postulate, I guess, I speculate, I think, I SWAG, **shoulder shrug**, **nod, nod, wink, wink**, coin flip, feel that if given the chance, Apple being the bastion of freedom and FairPlay who only spies on your data to provide you a better user experience, might be inclined to play fast and loose with FRAND if they own critical patents. Also, considering the fact that SJ wanted to go all kinds medieval Nuclear on Google FRAND patents might be one way to go. Again seem my caveats regarding opinions....


     


    Are we done now? I'm bored with this....

  • Reply 89 of 92
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post


    It just so happens that I like what they sell but I am not under the illusion that they are doing me any favors...



     


    What a strange statement!


     


    So, are we to understand that you buy their products because they make things harder for you?


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post


    I'm game for one last round...


     


    Pretty strong stuff on my part, and pure conjecture.


     


    Soooo to wrap this up...


     


    medieval Nuclear


     


    Are we done now? I'm bored with this....



     


    It's okay.


     


    I think we're very, very clear on where you stand now, although you may have generated some confusion with your reference to 'Medieval Nuclear'.


     


    We understand the lack of interest that losing can generate: You can run away from the discussion now.

  • Reply 90 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    With that..... Yawnnnnn…..
    Are we done now? I'm bored with this....

    You've forfeited your point with this nonsense. I'm stating this because while everyone reading this probably already knows that, you very likely don't. You've made a statement, you need to back it up with proof.
    Pretty strong stuff on my part, and pure conjecture. I can say whatever I want as an opinion.

    Sure. And you can also never be taken seriously again because of your opinions. However, this was not an "opinion". You stated it as a fact, you presented it as fact, you need to give a reason. Opinions are worthless without thought behind them. We want to hear the thoughts.
  • Reply 91 of 92


    Google should just stop copying Apple.

  • Reply 92 of 92


    I guess Google thought that since the world of tech is basically suing about everything,  they can push out FRAND and get away with it. Litigation should just stop and every company locks down and does their own business

     

Sign In or Register to comment.