Apple reminds customers that iWork.com will shutter July 31

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
With MobileMe officially retired, Apple's next online service set to go dark is iWork.com, and the company sent out an e-mail on Monday reminding customers to download their documents by July 31.

Come August, users will no longer be able to access documents stored on the iWork.com website. Those who participated in the iWork.com public beta must back up their documents by July 31 if they wish to keep them.

Instructions are available on Apple's website informing users how they can save a copy of their documents on their computer before the deadline passes. Users are also encouraged to migrate to Apple's new iCloud service, which allows remote storage of documents and data in the cloud.

iWork.com users were first notified in early March that Apple will shutter the website on July 31. The iWork.com service first launched as a beta in early 2009, offering iWork users on the Mac the ability to more easily collaborate with others using Windows and Microsoft Office.

Since then, the iWork suite of applications has also become available on iOS, with Pages, Numbers and Keynote among the most popular downloads on the iPad App Store.

iWork

The iWork suite and iOS 5 now offer integration with the iCloud service, which launched last October. At the iCloud.com website, users can access their up-to-date iWork documents, synced through iCloud's Documents & Data service.

The full e-mail text sent out to iWork.com users on Monday is included below:
Dear iWork.com user,

Remember, as of July 31, 2012, you will no longer be able to access your documents on the iWork.com site or view them on the web.

We recommend that you sign in to iWork.com before July 31, 2012, and download all your documents to your computer. For detailed instructions on how to save a copy of your documents on your computer, read this support article at Apple.com.

Moving forward, you can use iCloud to store your documents and make them available across your computer and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Learn more about iCloud.

Sincerely,
The iWork team

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    prop23prop23 Posts: 1member

When, oh when, is iWork going to get an update?

• Reply 2 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    prop23 wrote: »

What, oh what, does it need that would warrant a full update?
  • Reply 3 of 25
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by prop23 View Post

They've been getting pretty substantial updates- particularly the iCloud update.  As has iPhoto (aperture/iphoto file sharing, photo stream, etc).  I'm curious if they are going to make a completely new one of either at this point.  But Numbers is really the only one that needs updated the most.  Keynote is fine, and Pages could use some minor tweaking, but is fine as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

While I agree with you- one could have said the same thing about Office 08' for Mac vs 11' (and what will be Office 14' in a couple years).  I, like a lot of people, thought the ribbons were stupid, but now I prefer them.  Needs change, technology is more advanced, and things are implemented that we, the common folk, hadn't thought of.  This is Apple btw.... have they ever brought something out we didn't think we needed, but then we had to have?  :)

• Reply 4 of 25
    andysol wrote: »
    Needs change, technology is more advanced, and things are implemented that we, the common folk, hadn't thought of.  This is Apple btw...

Oh, no, I know; that was a genuine question. I was just mirroring his style is all. The stuff Apple adds to its software is more often than not things I never knew I needed than it is missing standard features.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is you being the knee-jerk reactionary again isn't it?  :-)

It's been ages since any significant update of iWork at all (years) and there are many bugs and UI problems.  

By what reason do you imply that it *doesn't* need an update?   You use it so frequently and intimately that you are certain that it's just perfect how it is?  

• Reply 6 of 25
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So was this a failed experiment for Apple? Did they really think that web-based office suites would be a huge hit and something they needed to jump into?

I hope that Apple has been working on adding enterprise level features to iWork all these years but that doesn't seem like the most likely scenario.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    gazoobee wrote: »

It's been ages since any significant update of iWork at all (years) and there are many bugs and UI problems.  
    By what reason do you imply that it *doesn't* need an update?   You use it so frequently and intimately that you are certain that it's just perfect how it is?  

You missed it by about four minutes.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Meanwhile if like me you had used Mobile Me Galleries over the years, here's a tip. If you deleted them from Aperture it still tries to download everything you ever posted all over again and the option to delete the option simply isn't working ... it can totally lock up Aperture. The answer is (and this won't work for long) is to long on to the web site in Safari (still available) and delete everything, all albums one at a time. I saw albums I thought were gone years ago! https://www.me.com/gallery/#home
  • Reply 9 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

My bad wrong topic
  • Reply 10 of 25
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    This makes so much more sense over shuttering MobileMe, iDisk and Gallery all at once, before some of the intended replacement services in Mountain Lion are rolled out.

Gallery is gone a month before Photo StreamingbHsaring comes to ML.

Mountain Lion is also likely to support document syncing with iWork as a replacement for iWork.com. In which case there will be an overlap during which users of the former service can seamlessly transition to the much more efficient iCloud version. There is already a check box in Preferences to allow document sharing under Lion.

Presumably there will be at least an update for Pages, if not the rest of the suite corresponding to Mountain Lion, if not a new version.

Let's hope document sharing unde Mintain Lion will support any application that offers it, like MS Office docs -- in which case nobody will miss iDisk too badly.

But again, the overall timing of the transition to iCloud has just been terrible.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member

hard to imagine a more thorough failure than that, isn't it.

• Reply 12 of 25
    bwik wrote: »
    hard to imagine a more thorough failure than that, isn't it.

Not sure if sarcasm…
  • Reply 13 of 25
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

I can't say that it needs a FULL update, how ever going to Apple's own site and seeing "iWork '09" gives me the sense of irony that as soon as I commit to '09 (still running '08) they'll release '13 or whatever it will be called.  I'll give Apple credit, '09 has received updates that MS would have charged for by now, but I do think something is coming sooner rather than later.  From what I last heard iWork was one of the few major apps that didn't receive the hi-res update.  Is that still true?  I remember rumors from the end of last year that there was going to be a "Final Cut overhaul" of the UI but haven't heard anything since. 

• Reply 14 of 25
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

Do you know any bugs off hand? I haven't run into a bug in a while. UI can use a bit of help, I think the inspector thing is a bit annoying at times, and the help software fails on helping me locate certain basic features.

razorpit wrote: »
    I can't say that it needs a FULL update, how ever going to Apple's own site and seeing "iWork '09" gives me the sense of irony that as soon as I commit to '09 (still running '08) they'll release '13 or whatever it will be called.  I'll give Apple credit, '09 has received updates that MS would have charged for by now, but I do think something is coming sooner rather than later.  From what I last heard iWork was one of the few major apps that didn't receive the hi-res update.  Is that still true?  I remember rumors from the end of last year that there was going to be a "Final Cut overhaul" of the UI but haven't heard anything since. 

I'm pretty sure I saw Retina updates to iWork shortly after the MBPR was released.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Good point.  Releasing a retina iWork package side by side with the Retina iMac would make a lot of sense as well.  This retina marketing crap gets me excited.... my wallet hates Apple.  I, on the other hand....

• Reply 16 of 25
    jbrunijbruni Posts: 29member

Last time I checked, the verb "shutter" always takes an object and is not reflexive.

AI, if you are going to use a cliché, at least you can try to get it right.

• Reply 17 of 25
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Do you know any bugs off hand? I haven't run into a bug in a while. UI can use a bit of help, I think the inspector thing is a bit annoying at times, and the help software fails on helping me locate certain basic features.

I'm pretty sure I saw Retina updates to iWork shortly after the MBPR was released.

Hey I was just starting to get the hang of the inspector.  ;-)

I just double checked and I was right.  The latest update to iWork was in December for Keynote and July 20, 2011 for Pages and Numbers.  I bet it wasn't worth updating because something all-new is coming (fingers crossed).

Also my understanding of how the desktop applications work with the iOS versions is that there is room for improvement.  Again, this is only what I heard, I believe it was from Mac Break Weekly a long time ago and that made me figure there was no need to update.  I'll buy '13(?) in a heartbeat but unless ML breaks something I'm sticking with '08 for now...

• Reply 18 of 25
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member

Quote:

I don't think it needs any one thing to warrant a full-update. But it needs to go 64 bit. It needs to employ newer file formats, not the old .pages, .numbers, etc. formats (the iOS version of iWork uses a different format so they should make that fully consistent). It needs to include iCloud. It needs to get Retina enabled (this is pressing! They better update this aspect with the release of ML). It would be nice to have a facelift that make its UI consistent with the iPad, though I imagine many would complain here as they did when Calendars, Contacts, etc. had makeovers.

In short, there are a bunch of smaller updates all due and so I imagine with that much work already being done on it, Apple will just make it a full-update. I also expect they will have to update iWork on iOS so that there aren't compatibility issues between the OS X and iOS versions when you make changes to your iCloud documents, like adding in comments. Even if they don't enable comments in the iOS version, they should upgrade the iOS suite so that it doesn't strip the comments or other surpluses offered on the OS X version.

• Reply 19 of 25
    [quote name="johndoe98" url="/t/151038/apple-reminds-customers-that-iwork-com-will-shutter-july-31#post_2138789"]It needs to employ newer file formats, not the old .pages, .numbers, etc. formats (the iOS version of iWork uses a different format so they should make that fully consistent).[/QUOTE]

Which are also called .pages, .numbers, and .keynote; version parity is, of course, always welcome.

[QUOTE]It would be nice to have a facelift that make its UI consistent with the iPad, though I imagine many would complain here as they did when Calendars, Contacts, etc. had makeovers.[/QUOTE]

I welcome a completely radical UI change (as in paradigm-shifting) as long as it increases productivity and is even more intuitive.

So not a ribbon.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    How about ODF support?