Italy threatens to suspend Apple operations in warranty dispute

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151042/italy-threatens-to-suspend-apple-operations-in-warranty-dispute#post_2138594"]
    I see all these people posting these boxes without anything in them, because that's how it's showing up for me. I guess I'm being discriminated against, because I happen to be on Snow Leopard at the moment. Is that a Lion thing only?

Snow Leopard doesn't have emoji?

rain wrote: »
    What the world doesn't need is your ilk who seek to destroy it for short-term, meaningless 'profits'.
    1 year warranty is a joke and disturbing. If Apple cant produce a product that it can stand behind for at least 2 years - then they have no business producing landfill fodder and leaving others to deal with the waste.

Yeah, because that's certainly the case. It can't possibly be anything else. You're obviously right.
  • Reply 22 of 100
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jragosta wrote: »
    "The AGCM found that Apple had pushed its paid two-year AppleCare warranty on customers despite acknowledging that EU laws require companies to offer the same protections without charge. Apple complied with the December order and began informing customers through its online storefront of the mandatory two-year warranty."
    So exactly how did Apple not comply?

They didn't make it clear that AppleCare doesn't enable 4G LTE in Australia.

"Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151042/italy-threatens-to-suspend-apple-operations-in-warranty-dispute#post_2138594"]
    I see all these people posting these boxes without anything in them, because that's how it's showing up for me. I guess I'm being discriminated against, because I happen to be on Snow Leopard at the moment. Is that a Lion thing only?

It's Emoji. If you have an iDevice they will probably show up.
  • Reply 23 of 100
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

Do you also not buy health and life insurance? 

As far as the first one goes, people will have no choice anymore, otherwise they will be taxed/fined, in the US that is. :)

• Reply 24 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Snow Leopard doesn't have emoji?

That one showed up fine.

• Reply 25 of 100
    The deceptive practice is selling the AppleCare warranty package where consumer protection laws in the E.U. mandate product warranties.

Ultimately, Apple will have to comply with the consumer protection laws and either cease offering AppleCare or simply assign an AppleCare warranty, without a separate fee, to all Apple products.

We have similar kinds of laws in the United States, albeit not for most consumer products. Nearly every state has a "lemon law" applicable to defective automobiles (typically applicable only to new vehicles) and the federal Magnussen-Moss Act.

Apple has no business breaking the law. Apple needs to wrap AppleCare with the product and move on.
  • Reply 26 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's Emoji. If you have an iDevice they will probably show up.

I'm on my Blackbook at the moment. The first one tallskill posted didn't show up, but the second one did.

• Reply 27 of 100
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151042/italy-threatens-to-suspend-apple-operations-in-warranty-dispute#post_2138604"]
    That one showed up fine.

That was an image. ????

Oh, that's nice… your name breaks Huddler's formatting.
  • Reply 28 of 100
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

This is required by law throughout the EU, as far as I know (certainly in Germany). Surely Apple's products are good enough to offer a 2 year warranty, right? Maybe the US should consider similar consumer protection standards.

But I don't want a 2 year warranty.  I replace my phone each year, tablet each year, laptop each year(ish).  Putting up money for a warranty for the 2nd year of ownership at the day of purchase is a waste of MY money.  And I'd never get that money back on resale.  Thinking that extending the duration of service and fault replacement by a year won't raise the price is silly.  The word free means hide the cost somewhere else.  Can I decide what I want to do with my money without having a law tell me what I must do when purchasing from the marketplace?  This is one place I don't want the government to protect me.  It's just another way for a politician to tell me he/she/it has "given" me some new right or benefit.

• Reply 29 of 100
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jollypaul wrote: »
    Raise the European price and include the two year warranty, problem solved.

Two years is mandatory by law, or at least in The Netherlands. And raising the price wouldn't be a good thing: Apple already sells at odd FX rate. Case in point: RMBP $2199 (ex VAT), in NL it's € 2279 incl. VAT. Currently 1 USD = € 0.80 or some-such. They do sometimes, change the price, it least the MBA used to be $ 999 / € 1049 but dropped to € 949, possibly because of user response - I don't know.
  • Reply 30 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That was an image. ????

That's still shows up as a rectangle for me, with nothing inside of it. I guess I'll take a deeper look at preferences later, though it looks like a new Lion feature, because I don't see any option for Emoji when I quickly checked language & text preferences.

• Reply 31 of 100
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151042/italy-threatens-to-suspend-apple-operations-in-warranty-dispute#post_2138603"]
    As far as the first one goes, people will have no choice anymore, otherwise they will be taxed/fined, in the US that is. :)

Try reading the Act.

http://www.healthcare.gov/law/full/

While a penalty is assessed for those people who opt not to purchase coverage, the Act expressly excludes any civil or criminal action to enforce payment of the penalty. No liens, no nothing.
  • Reply 32 of 100
    christophb wrote: »
    But I don't want a 2 year warranty.  I replace my phone each year, tablet each year, laptop each year(ish).  Putting up money for a warranty for the 2nd year of ownership at the day of purchase is a waste of MY money.  And I'd never get that money back on resale.  Thinking that extending the duration of service and fault replacement by a year won't raise the price is silly.  The word free means hide the cost somewhere else.  Can I decide what I want to do with my money without having a law tell me what I must do when purchasing from the marketplace?  This is one place I don't want the government to protect me.  It's just another way for a politician to tell me he/she/it has "given" me some new right or benefit.

Are you planning on destroying last year's phone, tablet, and laptop? No? You're going to give them to somebody or you will sell them. The additional year of warranty coverage is transferred with the device. That transfer of warranty value will be recouped by you at the time of sale or gift.
  • Reply 33 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bought_it@AAPL View Post

Try reading the Act.

While a penalty is assessed for those people who opt not to purchase coverage, the Act expressly excludes any civil or criminal action to enforce payment of the penalty. No liens, no nothing.

You just gave me a link that is 955 pages long. :)

I'm going to pass on reading it, because it doesn't really concern me too much, as I already have coverage. It does seem strange though, that if what you claim is true, that there is no penalty for not paying the penalty, then why should anybody who gets slapped with a penalty bother to pay at all? 

• Reply 34 of 100
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bought_it@AAPL View Post

Are you planning on destroying last year's phone, tablet, and laptop? No? You're going to give them to somebody or you will sell them. The additional year of warranty coverage is transferred with the device. That transfer of warranty value will be recouped by you at the time of sale or gift.

It's not my phone, tablet, laptop anymore.  While the warranty transfers, it's of no use to ME - the one who spent the money.  I also wait to buy the AppleCare until it's due for products that I have not upgraded in the past.  This has saved me as well because I've upgraded/modified or accidentally damaged equipment to the point there would be no coverage under warranty - iPhone 4 took a swim, iPad impact dented and slightly cracked the display so I got it repaired 3rd party (iPad replacement would have been $400 - 500 under AppleCare), upgraded MBPs taking little stickers off in the process post 1yr.

Again, it's my money and I'd rather maintain the choice.  I may be in the minority but isn't my choice to be protected?

• Reply 35 of 100
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

Can't the transition from vBulletin to HuddlerTech be reversed? Seems that no one likes it here @ AI.

• Reply 36 of 100
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

At first I struggled to understand why Apple would still be obstinate about this. Then I remembered that a couple other EU countries/consumer protection agencies have the same complaints that they're starting action on.

Apple probably receives hundreds of millions in warranty revenues (at least) in Europe. Italy is but a tiny piece. If they give in to them, and with a few others already starting investigations for the same claim, Apple stands a chance that the entire EU will jump in the fray, throwing rocks in the money stream. Extended warranties are considered gravy trains by retailers and so I suppose I'm not surprised that Apple might continue the fight. There's a whole lotta money involved.

• Reply 37 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Italy needs Apple FAR MORE than Apple needs Italy.  

That is true. Apple could pull out of Italy completely, and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

• Reply 38 of 100
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

IMO it's not just about Italy. Apple's trying to keep this from becoming EU wide...

which it should be if the laws are the same.

• Reply 39 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

IMO it's not just about Italy. Apple's trying to keep this from becoming EU wide...

which it should be if the laws are the same.

If it were to become EU wide, then I agree with the other posters who stated that Apple should just jack up their prices even more for EU people. Too bad for them.

• Reply 40 of 100
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Try reading the Act.
    Okay, but once you do not pay your taxes, the IRS jumps in and can do just about whatever they want.