Analyst: Apple can 'relax,' as Google Nexus 7 is 'just another' Android tablet

Comments

• Reply 81 of 106
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As a shareholder of Google, I'd want them to be making money on the products they sell, and I'd like to know a ballpark of how much money is made on each. That's only natural, completely reasonable, and common sense.

As a shareholder of Apple, I'd know that every single unit sold makes money. Why would it be unreasonable to expect the same from someone else, particularly since Apple's model seems to be the only one that actually works?

You want to talk about consumers, we'll talk about consumers. People with no shares. Why shouldn't they want to know how much they're giving to the company as overhead?

I love Tesla, so I'll use them as an example. The Tesla Roadster is, what, $100,000? The company has actually come out and said that the price is that high to subsidize the cost of later models. Do you think their consumers wouldn't want to know that? REALLY? That's a great thing to know. It's more information for potential Roadster buyers and it gives a greater incentive to potential buyers of the S and X, knowing their prices are far cheaper than they could/"should" have been.

As a shareholder your only concern is that the company makes money - not all business models are the same. There is always something that you sell at a cost or give away to provide a greater good in the business model - if the cost are non material and benefits the higher margin service you do it - To just go and think value is based on a margin in business is false in my opinion.

As a consumer outside that world taking advantage of those options is one of the few direct cost benefits you will get from a corporation.

The cost of the Tesla Roadster gives little way for margin - their profits will be basically a wash, the investment gives to the future - is the value of the roadster diminished because there is no 30% margin that will go into Tesla bank account? The nexus 7 is being sold at a COST not a lost - it is self sustainable for the future. I do not see your point.

• Reply 82 of 106
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Ads dear boy, ads. Google wants to fire ads at you - like Facebook, it's the only way they make money.

Where exactly does Android have anymore ads than iOS?

• Reply 83 of 106
    drealothdrealoth Posts: 79member

Apple can never relax. They've gotten this far because they've pushed the boundaries consistently and driven the market, but history counts for very little - if they ever lose that fuel, the next guy in line will overtake them. I'm pretty impressed with the Nexus 7 - it shows that Google is willing to push their platform, and I do think that they are becoming very competitive with iOS. While it's certainly not a direct shot, I can imagine that its success will eat into iPad sales at least somewhat.

I mean, look at what happened to RIM. They were the kings of the world 4 years ago, and now they are just a shadow of themselves. While Apple is certainly better run than RIM ever was, the point stands - complacency is killer.

• Reply 84 of 106
    raptoroo7raptoroo7 Posts: 140member

The dimensions are just fine given the fact that a 9.7" display is NOT the only screen size users want or desire.  Simply put users buy what appeals to them, not what you say they should use.

• Reply 85 of 106
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmiku View Post

I'm not impressed by big numbers. The only thing that matters to me when speaking about apps: does it have all the apps I need or want to use? I expect it to have excellent web browser, e-book reader, media player and map application. That's about it. I have much more broader requirements on my smart phone, which should have universal capabilities. But in case of tablet I don't need that much. And I think the same holds true for most people.

iPad is a great device, but for me it is not enough portable.

If the same holds true for most people, why is iPad dominating tablet sales?

I think you are patently incorrect in your assessment.

• Reply 86 of 106
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member

Boy, that 4 month cycle alone would make me say "don't buy." Bound to be problems.

• Reply 87 of 106

Apple can never relax. Google will always be waiting to overtake the mighty Apple. According to recent reviews, the Nexus 7 is nowhere near as cheaply made as an Apple fan boy would have you believe. The Tegra 3 chip is barely slower than Ipad 3 at best, and just as good at games thanks to Nvidia. It has beaten Apples new chip at some benchmarks, but at the end of the day, I doubt one would notice the speed difference by using the two devices side by side. In the Display catagory, Apple wins hands down. Apple is about quality on both the hardware and the software front, there is no denying that IOS is a smoother experience than Android. However with each new version of Android released, the experience gets better. It is merely a matter of time before Google renders your apples ROTTEN!

• Reply 88 of 106
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chromally View Post

Apple can never relax. Google will always be waiting to overtake the mighty Apple. According to recent reviews, the Nexus 7 is nowhere near as cheaply made as an Apple fan boy would have you believe. The Tegra 3 chip is barely slower than Ipad 3 at best, and just as good at games thanks to Nvidia. It has beaten Apples new chip at some benchmarks, but at the end of the day, I doubt one would notice the speed difference by using the two devices side by side. In the Display catagory, Apple wins hands down. Apple is about quality on both the hardware and the software front, there is no denying that IOS is a smoother experience than Android. However with each new version of Android released, the experience gets better. It is merely a matter of time before Google renders your apples ROTTEN!

Ignoring the flame-bait, not a good start for your first post, the Nexus7 isn't intended as competition for Apple. It's not even competition for other Android licensees. It's just another in a regular line of Nexus devices, used to introduce new OS versions and features and serve as a build reference. They are not meant first to be commercial successes (tho they wouldn't be sad if they were) nor "flagship models" no matter what it says in some blog. Removable storage and batteries, USB transfer ports etc were left out for more reasons than just saving a couple of dollars. You'll see those added, plus other improvements, when the Android vendors offer their own tablets using the basic specs of the Nexus7 later this year. 

• Reply 89 of 106

The Nexus 7 is just the beginning of things to come. It does not matter if it is a direct rival to Apple or not. The performance is there, and at a price that`s hard to beat. Did i mention Tegra 3 comparable with A5 and A6.

• Reply 90 of 106

Oh how I forget, this site is called Appleinsider. Fandroids will never win here, but i wont give up, because I think Google will eventually steal the show. open source will eventually prevail.

• Reply 91 of 106

Geesh, now I'm being accused of being an Apple fan-boy??

• Reply 92 of 106

Oh well, you seem to fit the shoes so they say. With all things said, I truly believe Android will be the mobile future.

• Reply 93 of 106

Quote:

Oh well, you seem to fit the shoes so they say. With all things said, I truly believe Android will be the mobile future.

I'm going to bookmark this one. image

• Reply 94 of 106

Bookmark what you will, I can`t wait to see Nexus 7 sales numbers.

• Reply 95 of 106
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    chorally wrote: »
    Did i mention Tegra 3 comparable with A5 and A6.

No, but don't, because you're wrong. The A5X sweeps the Tegra 3 in all the benchmarks I've seen, and the A6 doesn't exist yet.
    chromally wrote: »
    Bookmark what you will, I can`t wait to see Nexus 7 sales numbers.

5. There you go.
  • Reply 96 of 106
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Ads dear boy, ads. Google wants to fire ads at you - like Facebook, it's the only way they make money.

Where exactly does Android have anymore ads than iOS?

In the hundreds (perhaps thousands) of apps sold ad-free on iOS, but with ad-only versions available for Android. Example: Scrabble. I can play Scrabble on the iPhone without a single ad. No Android device can claim the same.

• Reply 97 of 106

Quote:

i got your rotten apples hanging here, fool...

• Reply 98 of 106
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Apple can never relax. Google will always be waiting to overtake the mighty Apple. According to recent reviews, the Nexus 7 is nowhere near as cheaply made as an Apple fan boy would have you believe. The Tegra 3 chip is barely slower than Ipad 3 at best, and just as good at games thanks to Nvidia. It has beaten Apples new chip at some benchmarks, but at the end of the day, I doubt one would notice the speed difference by using the two devices side by side. In the Display category, Apple wins hands down. Apple is about quality on both the hardware and the software front, there is no denying that IOS is a smoother experience than Android. However with each new version of Android released, the experience gets better. It is merely a matter of time before Google renders your apples ROTTEN!

The thing is, the iOS devices are already running 'buttery smooth' :P so its taking 5 versions (or more) or major updates to Android just to catch up to smooth functionality that iOS has had since the first iPhone? that's not really something people should be proud of, once android catches up, then that's that, you cant get smoother then smooth.

Features on both systems suit different people, i like my iPhone to have my custom ring tones, to make calls, have the Internet & all my apps & emails that's about it.

people using Android probably like spending more time just in the OS, using widgets n stuff, so the base OS does have alot more to tweak & change, but that's when you kinda start to hit a wall, once you have customized your OS, what then? you get onto the Play store & its a silly joke, a horrible variety of apps, some don't work, most look bad, none made to use the tablets screen, i know this because i own a few android tablets too...When I'm using any of my smart devices more often then not I'm in an app & on the app front its a 1 horse race, its as simple as that, not very complicated & it doesn't matter if you get a 1000 core tegra 75 device with 5 gigs or ram, if you don't have the apps to run, then you have a nice paper weight that's shiny with nice gorilla glass.

• Reply 99 of 106
    <p>
    Jesus.</p>
    <p>
     </p>
    <p>
    I'm not sure who's worse. The Apple Fanboys or the Android Fanboys. You guys give some of the Android Fanboys a run for their money in terms of being fanatic non-thinking zealots.<br />
     </p>
    <p>
    Case in Point:</p>
    <p>
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2779262</p>;
    <p>
     </p>
    <p>
    First of all, I had a 5th Gen iPod Nano, currently have a 4th Gen iTouch and a 3rd Gen iPad. I will never buy an Apple laptop or Desktop though. And my phone predates the majority of smartphones.</p>
    <p>
     </p>
    <p>
    Second, I was nearly about to pre-order the Nexus 7 until I noticed there was no MicroSD slot and that USB OTG was disabled for external storage. That said, I may buy it for my parents. Seriously considering that.</p>
    <p>
     </p>
    <p>
    Going to be honest here: People like <span class="pmenuShow HM-user-menu" id="pMenu-51844"><strong><a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/u/51844/sflocal" id="poster_2145645" rel="nofollow"><span style="color:#000000;">sflocal</span></a></strong> give Apple users a bad reputation. Many of the various Android Tablets are good decent products with some downsides. Casting them all as junk makes you look not only stupid, but unaware of just what Android tablets can actually do. </span></p>
    <p>
     </p>
    <p>
    The simple factor dividing iOS and Android basically comes down to how much you want to learn about your tablet. I'm not even going to bother with Windows as honestly that's not even worth discussing (I'll take my chances).</p>
    <p>
     </p>
    <p>
    Android fanboys do have a point that Apple basically spoon feeds you and holds your hand when it comes to basically everything they offer. It's simplistic but it offers a very easy to use product that offers good intergration across the board.</p>
    <p>
    What Android Fanboys fail to understand largely due to their massively self inflated egos is that some people actually want that, that unlike the Android Fanboys, they don't have the time (or the will) to learn how to customize their device. For instance, the Nook Color was arguably the best Tablet out there as it was cheap, had expansion slots and could be rooted to proper Android rather than the Forked Android B&N was selling. Most Apple users have no idea what "Rooting" means. Android offers its users the capacity to customize a wide variety of features, grants them access to a wild west store of apps and gives them the choice of all shapes and sizes. But it requires a stiffer learning curve. There are pluses and minuses to both systems. But going all whilly nilly like <strong>Sflocal </strong>does just makes you look stupid.</p>
    <p>
     </p>
    <p>
    The mere fact that Apple is even making a smaller iPad suggests that they realize they have ceded the smaller tablet market to Android and lost huge potential profits from it. Amazon and Google are making sizable chunks of change from their respective app stores. Apple is likely losing at least some potential sales from people looking at the price of an iPad and going "No, I'll go with a $200~300 Android Tablet that can do nearly everything an iPad can do instead." If Apple did not see ceding the market to Android, it would not be bothering with the iPad Mini. Essentially Apple as Jeff Benzos to blame for this as the Kindle Fire proved that smaller tablets can and will sell. Sure, it had problems, can't argue that, but at $200, those problems are tolerable.</p>
    <p>
     </p>
    <p>
    What the Nexus 7 does is fire not only a direct salvo at the Fire, but a warning shot to Apple. Sure, Apple doesn't have much to worry about from the Nexus 7 directly, but it's the indirect that worries them. If the Nexus 7 is as good as the reviews are saying it is in terms of speed, usability, and value, it's going to suck in a large number of users including users who would otherwise buy an iPad but are waffling on the price. That alone is not the threat. What is the threat is that the Nexus 7 is a figurative beachhead or toehold. Once a large number of people get used to and like the Nexus 7, Google will release a 10 inch tablet to directly compete with the iPad. No tablet except the Fire has achieved this and the Fire itself has moderate acceptance rate. And it is rumored that Amazon is working on a larger tablet (not to mention a Kindle Fire 2). This is where people like <strong><span class="pmenuShow HM-user-menu" id="pMenu-77732"><a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/u/77732/fredaroony" id="poster_2113212" rel="nofollow"><span style="color:#000000;">fredaroony</span></a></span></strong> go horribly wrong. The Nexus 7 is not a direct competitor: it is the vanguard for the real Android assault. Prior to the Nexus 7, Android manufacturers have largely been throwing tablets at the market and seeing what sticks. Even the Transformer which in many ways is outright superior to the iPad hasn't stuck. Google realizes it needs this beachhead and that's why it has spent so much time in the technical pits working to make the best Android Tablet that can be made at a very value conscious price.</p>
    <p>
     </p>
    <p>
    <strong>Addicted44</strong> may be the smartest non-biased user so far in this thread Gatorguy as well. The 7" in form factory with low weight is pretty useful. Carrying around the iPad is honestly a pain in the ***. And mine went all over South America. I know just how unfun it is to lug around. A 7" inch would have been far more practical. What is interesting is the GPU on the Nexus 7. It's not really 12 cores (Google it for further discussion) but benchmarks have been quite charitable to it. And the Quad Core processor is fairly impressive. When you combine those two and look at the battery life, well, gotta hand it to Asus and Google on that.</p>
    <p>
     </p>
    <p>
    <strong><span class="pmenuShow HM-user-menu" id="pMenu-133839"><a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/u/133839/absolutedesignz" id="poster_2043421" rel="nofollow">AbsoluteDesignz</a></span></strong>, Android Fanboys are really not much better. Many of them operate on the "I don't get Apple, therefore it's evil" template.</p>
    <p>
     </p>
    <p>
    <strong>Gordy </strong>make a good point in that many Apple users don't even come close to utilizing what their devices can do (and frankly have no idea they can even do that kind of stuff). It's partially a function of target audience.</p>
    <p>
     </p>
    <p>
    <span class="pmenuShow HM-user-menu" id="pMenu-15452"><strong><a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/u/15452/mjtomlin" id="poster_2145765" rel="nofollow">mjtomlin</a>,</strong> you do realize you can get the Amazon App store on most Android devices? It's not that hard if you know what you're doing (or bother to Google it). </span></p>
    <p>
     </p>
    <p>
    Last point: How many of you Apple Fanboys have even picked up a 7" inch tablet?</p>
  • Reply 100 of 106
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Do I… even need to say it at this point?