Google comes to Samsung's aid in patent battle with Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Smartphone maker Samsung and Android creator Google are "working closely to create a united front" in the face of legal challenges from Apple, according to a new report.

Samsung has confirmed that it is working with Google to fend of patent infringement claims made by Apple, according to The Korea Times. The announcement marks the first time that Samsung has confirmed it is receiving assistance from Google in its legal battle with Apple.

Years ago, Google publicly announced that it was supporting Android smartphone maker HTC after that company was hit with a lawsuit from Apple. But Google has not publicly indicated any such agreement with Samsung as its patent infringement dispute with Apple has ballooned into multiple lawsuits in numerous countries around the world.

Now Samsung reportedly hopes that Google's assistance will give the Korean electronics maker an advantage in the courtroom against Apple. An unnamed official with Samsung quoted by the Times as saying the company hopes it will be able to earn royalties from Apple.

"The fight is becoming more dramatic and the possibility of a truce in the form of a cross-licensing deal seems to be becoming likely," they were quoted as saying.

Galaxy Nexus

Another industry source also reportedly indicated that Apple's newly earned injunction barring sales of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 will cost Samsung about $80 million. The injunction was awarded last week and went into effect almost immediately after Apple posted the necessary $2.6 million bond.

Apple also won another injunction in the U.S. last week against Samsung's Galaxy Nexus smartphone. That handset was co-developed by Samsung and Google, and runs an unmodified version of Google's Android mobile operating system.

Samsung's losses on the Galaxy Nexus could be even greater, as industry sources reportedly indicated that the company could lose up to $120 million if the sales ban extends for two months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 93
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Maybe I'll get to say "Now Google has sued someone". ;)

I still doubt it tho. This could be anything from a faulty translation to Google joining Samsung in filing a new suit. It will be intersting to see if the report is at all accurate and what it actually means. IMO Google is going to have to involve itself more strongly than it has so far, and sooner rather than later.

• Reply 2 of 93
    docjreydocjrey Posts: 11member

Good, now both of them can die together.

• Reply 3 of 93
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

So, Google fell for the bait Steve promised when he warned Google he was going to go thermonuclear on them. Good! Jobs mentored Brin and Page and lent Schmidt credibility by gifting him a seat on Apple's board and those slimy MFs spit in Jobs' face and stole his intellectual property. Google has lost any mojo it had and is now just a copycat Microsoft wannabe.  

• Reply 4 of 93
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Stupid for Google to enter the dispute.

Sooner than later Samsung will compete with Google.

If it remains dependent to Google then it may be another Sony in the future, 

• Reply 5 of 93
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The fight is becoming more dramatic and the possibility of a truce in the form of a cross-licensing deal seems to be becoming likely"

These things usually end in some form of compromise deal so I guess this is the most likely outcome in the end.  

• Reply 6 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

As long as whatever Samsung offers includes Google services (maps, GMail, etc) I don't think it would matter too much. I don't see Samsung entering the search space to compete with Google. Maybe I'm missing something. 

• Reply 7 of 93
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

All Google has to do is change its OS by taking out these Apple claims. Slide to unlock is pretty simple to avoid by using two fingers gesture or even by shaking the phone a bit. There's a ton of ways to unlock a phone. Other patents would just have to be taken out our of Android and Google should see if they can license them from Apple. Google already paying $5-$15 per phone to Microsoft for their licenses.

• Reply 8 of 93
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Maybe I'll get to say "Now Google has sued someone". ;)

And mobsters aren't murderers if they only commission the hit.
  • Reply 9 of 93
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    Has Apple sued Google directly? Because that seems to be where this all is headed from my outsider POV. Set up some background by fighting the companies that make the phones, then find a way to draw Google in and get them on the software that makes it all possible.

Can't say I support only Apple making these type of smartphones, but Android probably did end AT&T iphone exclusivity faster and push certain new features faster. That said its pretty clear they copied iOS a lot. Kind of a grey area where I mostly back Apple for being more innovative and creative. And cohesive. And aesthetic.
  • Reply 10 of 93

... and in a related interview later that day the Samsung spokesperson said that the lawsuit strategy against Apple was going 'very smooth ...'

• Reply 11 of 93
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

The reason Google is helping now is they now own the Motorola IP portfolio which they can license to Samsung if they like which could in turn help them win their case.

• Reply 12 of 93
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

As long as whatever Samsung offers includes Google services (maps, GMail, etc) I don't think it would matter too much. I don't see Samsung entering the search space to compete with Google. Maybe I'm missing something. 

It is a wish of mine.

Samsung has the will and money to stand shoulder to shoulder with both Apple and Google.

• Reply 13 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And mobsters aren't murderers if they only commission the hit.

I think you meant when an Angel raises his sword. :)

• Reply 14 of 93
    galaxytabgalaxytab Posts: 122member
    Wait.... What happened to the billions of dollars worth of Motorola patents?
  • Reply 15 of 93
    dotcomctodotcomcto Posts: 130member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

I believe the old proverb goes something like, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

--DotComCTO

• Reply 16 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Wait.... What happened to the billions of dollars worth of Motorola patents?

Still there AFAIK. I don't think they sold them.

• Reply 17 of 93
    shidellshidell Posts: 187member

The patent system is broken.

If every company litigated like Apple, one of two things would happen:

1. Nobody would have any electronic device, or

2. Patent reform would rapidly take place

The fact of the matter is that these types of patents are insane. Ask yourself these questions:

1. What if Ford patented the "tire" as we know it? What if they sued every manufacturer for using that form factor, asthetic, material, etc?

2. Imagine Nike patented the modern "shoe." To what extent does that cover any shoe? Sandals? Boots? Any type of footwear?

Ridiculous propositions, right? So are these. Patenting basic "concepts" is not the same as patenting specific algorithms, such as Apple's internal music-suggesting logic for iTunes, should they choose to patent that (for example).

• Reply 18 of 93
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Here's some advice for both Google and Samsung to fend off Apple - STOP COPYING APPLE'S STUFF!

It's bad enough that Google's Android is/was a knockoff of iOS, but Samsung took it one step further and copied Apple's Design/hardware/packaging/etc...

Samsung has lost my business.  It's bad enough that my Apple products have Samsung components in them, that's just the way the business is, but if I need to buy any end-product with a Samsung logo on it, I'll just keep right on going to someone else's.

Bunch of thieves they are... oh right, the CEO is a mobster, bribed his way out of jail, and obviously believes he is above the law.  

• Reply 19 of 93
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member

LOL

Google is stepping right where Apple wants them to.

It is fairly obvious that Apple is after Android itself, but also focusing on the hardware manufacturers own customizations that infringe on Apple IP.

Once Apple has enough wins in court versus Android hangers-on, it will be a mountain of precedent for Google to have to fight.  In court, precedent is everything.  Talk about an uphill battle for the thiefs.

Now, Google allies itself with Samsung, opening the door for Android itself to be the main target.  This even before Apple has garnered the steam they sought.

Still, Google is exposing themselves here.  They sense the trend and they know they need to lay all the cards on the table now to avoid a much larger issue down the road.

that said, it seems like Christmas is coming early for Apple.  Google is going to have to answer for why they do what they do.

It is really sad that a great company like Apple has to actually sue just to protect their inventions. In China, knockoffs may be an everyday reality that is near impossible to win, but the US?

Surely our courts can do the right thing.

• Reply 20 of 93
    shidellshidell Posts: 187member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Here's some advice for both Google and Samsung to fend off Apple - STOP COPYING APPLE'S STUFF!

It's bad enough that Google's Android is/was a knockoff of iOS, but Samsung took it one step further and copied Apple's Design/hardware/packaging/etc...

Samsung has lost my business.  It's bad enough that my Apple products have Samsung components in them, that's just the way the business is, but if I need to buy any end-product with a Samsung logo on it, I'll just keep right on going to someone else's.

Bunch of thieves they are... oh right, the CEO is a mobster, bribed his way out of jail, and obviously believes he is above the law.  

So you're OK with iOS ripping off the Notification Bar, then?