HP reportedly ditches Windows RT as Microsoft readies Surface

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
According to unconfirmed reports, HP has scrapped plans to build Windows RT-based tablets which would have been direct competitors to Microsoft's own upcoming Surface tablet that was announced in June.

Unnamed sources told SemiAccurate (via The Mac Observer) that Microsoft's largest OEM partner HP has decided to dump Windows RT, the ARM processor-powered version of the company's upcoming Windows 8 OS, possibly in favor of Google's Android.

Microsoft reportedly angered hardware makers when it unveiled two self-branded tablets, one running Windows RT for ARM and another Intel-based machine called Surface for Windows 8 Pro, on June 18 after having worked closely with the OEMs in designing devices that would efficiently run the new OS. Semi Accurate alludes to Microsoft cherry-picking the best of each design to make its own tablet in the Surface, however the rumor is unfounded and can't be proven until all new Windows tablets launch later in 2012.

Most recently, Acer founder Stan Shih called the Surface a mere advertising stunt for Windows 8, saying that the Redmond-based company had no real plans to continue development in the tablet hardware arena.

Surface
Source: Microsoft

The software giant has placed itself in a curious position with hardware makers that will essentially become competition when Surface is released later this year. Microsoft will have a definite pricing advantage as it won't have to pay the $90 OS licensing fee applied to OEMs planning to use either Windows RT or Windows 8 Pro.

When Surface was announced, some pundits believed that Windows RT and Windows 8 Pro stood a good chance at taking away some of Apple's dominating iPad tablet share, but it remains unclear if Microsoft can do so without the help of HP.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

HP may be the trendsetter here. As a manufacturer, I'd dump Microsoft and let them flounder on their own.

• Reply 2 of 41
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm not even sure what that thing is supposed to be. All I know is that I don't want one.

It's like a laptop, but with an inferior keyboard, a little, shitty trackpad and the display doesn't even stay up on it's own, so you have to prop it up from behind with a kickstand and keep it at a fixed angle, an angle which you can't choose, if I'm not mistaken. I'll take any Apple laptop over that thing any day of the week.

• Reply 3 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    HP may be the trendsetter here. As a manufacturer, I'd dump Microsoft and let them flounder on their own.

i don't think MS's actions with the Surface are bad. Just as MS should be secretly working on HW in case their vendors falter Win OEMs should have been secretly working on an OS in case MS would falter. Both have failed each other miserably for reasons we could easily argue about.

While I think MS not having a clear focus on Win8 or the Surface HW is a problem, the overall concept of each looks great to me. If they can't get customers interested in Win8 tablets (or Win8 smartphones) soon it won't matter how they treat their partners because iOS and Android will begin to eat away at all of MS's OS business.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151048/hp-reportedly-ditches-windows-rt-as-microsoft-readies-surface#post_2138816"]I'm not even sure what that thing is supposed to be. All I know is that I don't want one.

It's like a laptop, but with an inferior keyboard, a little, shitty trackpad and the display doesn't even stay up on it's own, so you have to prop it up from behind with a kickstand and keep it at a fixed angle, an angle which you can't choose, if I'm not mistaken. I'll take any Apple laptop over that thing any day of the week.

I think those are prominent problems with the device and a key problem with MS's outlook on technology. Instead of creating something that is ideal for specific tasks they have created something that is shitty for every task. That, historically, doesn't work too well. You don't see lumberjacks using Swiss Army knifes simply because it has a saw... plus a bunch of other tools.

There are many individual aspects of Win8 and the Surface HW I like but there is nothing about either actual product that feels right.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    If only they had their own tablet OS they could rely on...
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Not sure why I'd dump them in favor of Android when Google itself has just jumped in with its own little-to-no-margin tablet. If Microsoft's tablet is actually priced for the sake of profit (so as not to strangle profit from potential third party manufactures) that would be the preferred position. Outside any discussion of OS quality and appeal.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

i don't think MS's actions with the Surface are bad. Just as MS should be secretly working on HW in case their vendors falter Win OEMs should have been secretly working on an OS in case MS would falter. Both have failed each other miserably for reasons we could easily argue about.

While I think MS not having a clear focus on Win8 or the Surface HW is a problem, the overall concept of each looks great to me. If they can't get customers interested in Win8 tablets (or Win8 smartphones) soon it won't matter how they treat their partners because iOS and Android will begin to eat away at all of MS's OS business.

It is almost shocking to imagine that a company of Microsoft's size has been so blinded by computing trends to realize so late in the game that their long-held money machine is disappearing... and fast. Their panicked response to iPad and OSX with Surface and Windows 8 has just been jaw-dropping. I wonder if they'll even be around in ten years time.

• Reply 8 of 41

Exactly, for a company like HP - damned if you go with Android, damned if you go with Microsoft ... a fine kettle of fish that they find themselves in. 

Best thing you can say about this situation for them is that Apple and Foxconn can't make enough iPads fast enough to satisfy demand, so there will be a market for others. But that's hardly a basis for a thriving market with decent margins.

• Reply 9 of 41
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Exactly, for a company like HP - damned if you go with Android, damned if you go with Microsoft ... a fine kettle of fish that they find themselves in. 

Their problems are self-inflicted.

The Touchpad wasn't that bad a device (my daughter has one). With a little work, it could have been a contender, but they abandoned it too early. In particular, they simply dumped the price to far lower than they needed to - since they were being resold on ebay by the hundreds or thousands at $200 and up (I sold 3 of them at a big enough profit so my daughter's was free).
  • Reply 10 of 41
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

MS relies on their OEMs. For some reason they think they can pull an Apple and be successful. Unfortunately, they don't have the attitude, the philosophy, the cachet, the mindshare, or the ecosystem to pull it off. 

Apple's been integrating hardware and software since birth. 

• Reply 11 of 41
    It is almost shocking to imagine that a company of Microsoft's size has been so blinded by computing trends to realize so late in the game that their long-held money machine is disappearing... and fast. Their panicked response to iPad and OSX with Surface and Windows 8 has just been jaw-dropping. I wonder if they'll even be around in ten years time.

Oh, I'm sure they will be. I'm also sure they'll have the highest desktop* OS marketshare in the world. But in terms of relevance and mindshare they could be pretty non-existant. Think of them like a SW version of Sony. IE was even close to being relevant (it's actually good now!) and yet its decline was still very slow. i expect Windows to fall the same way if MS can't turn things around. However, they do have many years and many opportunities to figure it out, unlike other companies that have few resources to counter an attack. MS is no RiM.

* In terms of OS installations I think iOS and Android each outsell or are on the verge of outselling Windows.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151048/hp-reportedly-ditches-windows-rt-as-microsoft-readies-surface#post_2138816"]I'm not even sure what that thing is supposed to be. All I know is that I don't want one.

Ah but don't you know Microsoft just made Apple's smart cover dumb? :lol:
  • Reply 13 of 41
    richsadamsrichsadams Posts: 129member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Not sure why I'd dump them in favor of Android when Google itself has just jumped in with its own little-to-no-margin tablet. If Microsoft's tablet is actually priced for the sake of profit (so as not to strangle profit from potential third party manufactures) that would be the preferred position. Outside any discussion of OS quality and appeal.

There's generally one answer and only one answer as to why companies do what they do...money (of course).  An $85-$95 per unit MS license fee could amount to 20% to 40% of the cost to build a MS powered tablet by HP or anyone else.  Using Android, although not free (and even MS will still make money) cuts expenses considerably.

It remains to be seen what MS will charge for the vaporware "Surface", but if it's in the ballpark of an "ultrabook" notebook as MS has said, it shouldn't be long before the Surface takes its place alongside the BlackBerry Playbook, Slate and other iPad wannabes on Woot! and Big Lots' shelves.

• Reply 14 of 41
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

If I had a violin, I might play a sad song for HP.   

HP virtually screws everything up they touch, I can't even remember their last successful product.

• Reply 15 of 41
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

What a circus watching Microsoft and HP execute their business plans (sic).

• Reply 16 of 41
    quinney wrote: »

Which one is Jim Carrey and which one is Jeff Daniels?
  • Reply 17 of 41
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Which one is Jim Carrey and which one is Jeff Daniels?

I don't know, I just hope they don't make a sex video.

• Reply 18 of 41
    fahrwahrfahrwahr Posts: 11member

This article implies that HP isn't planning on developing any Windows tablets in the future.  However, HP told PC Magazine that they do plan on releasing a Windows 8 tablet with x86 internals -- just not one incorporating Windows RT on ARM.

• Reply 19 of 41
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

MS relies on their OEMs. For some reason they think they can pull an Apple and be successful. Unfortunately, they don't have the attitude, the philosophy, the cachet, the mindshare, or the ecosystem to pull it off. 

Unfortunately, they also never had Steve Jobs, or had him build them a kick-ass management team.

Personally, I believe that Ballmer should be replaced, preferably with Clippy the Paperclip from Office 2003. That guy really knew what he was doing.

"It looks like your trying to create a mobile market product. Would you like me to help to:

1. Bollocks it up by having it run Windows?

2. Paint the thing Zune-Brown?

3. Just get out of the way and do the monkey dance?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ah but don't you know Microsoft just made Apple's smart cover dumb? image

Only after Apple made Microsoft's smart-tablet dumb.

I'd call that more than even.

• Reply 20 of 41
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

Semiaccurate is the same site that in Spring 2011 told use Apple's laptops were going to switch to ARM. Semiaccurate might be right about HP, but they might equally just be a bunch of trolls.