iCloud Beta site reveals new web-based Notes, Reminders

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's iCloud Beta site on Monday was updated with web versions of the iOS apps Notes and Reminders and joins the two other beta-labeled additions to iCloud.com, Calendar and Find My iPhone.

The web-based Notes is much like the iOS app seen in landscape mode on the iPad complete with skeuomorphic leather and paper flourishes. According to MacRumors, users can write, read and edit notes with changes being pushed down to iOS devices associated with the iCloud account.

Reminders has been taken out of the legacy Calendar web app and now sports its own dedicated icon on the iCloud homepage. The web asset again looks much like the iPad version and offers the same functionality with changes synced across all devices.

iCloud Beta
Source: MacRumors

As noted by an intrepid AppleInsider reader, an interesting change to both the iOS and web-based iterations of Find My iPhone is the addition of a battery meter in the top right corner of the device details window as seen below.

Find My iPhone

Apple is expected to be rolling out access to the revamped iCloud alongside the upcoming release of iOS 6 sometime this fall which will bring system-wide Facebook integration and a host of new features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Yes, we all want Galleries and iDisk (a secure and modern version) to come to iCloud ASAP.

2) A bit of a nitpick but I wish they'd change the name from Find my iPhone to something else.

3) I really wish they'd add some extra security to the Find My iPhone feature. It's too easy to access Settings to disable it (wish I could PIN protect some aspect of Settings that turns it on/off) and if possible even add a PIN to turn off the device. Now this latter request has the issue of a hard reset for a locked device being key to general usability. Even with the rarity that an iDevice has to be reset it does happen and you can't be forced to wait for the battery to drain if you can't input an unlock code turn it off. My solution, if technically possible, would be to have a [B][I]restart[/I][/B] be wired as a hard boot and turning it off require a PIN.
  • Reply 2 of 26

One can only access the iCloud beta if one has access to the beta of iOS 6.

• Reply 3 of 26
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Yes, we all want Galleries and iDisk (a secure and modern version) to come to iCloud ASAP.

Doesn't iPhoto's Journals accomplish what Galleries did? As for iDisk, I agree some kind of replacement would be nice, but I think we will have to make do with the iCloud stuff given in ML, or simply use DropBox.

• Reply 4 of 26
    johndoe98 wrote: »
    Doesn't iPhoto's Journals accomplish what Galleries did? As for iDisk, I agree some kind of replacement would be nice, but I think we will have to make do with the iCloud stuff given in ML, or simply use DropBox.

I thought so but I don't do enough with photos to know. All I know is that read about Gallery complaints every day.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Galleries is taken care of.

iDisk will be taken care of as applications update to enable iCloud syncing.

Boom, done.
  • Reply 6 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Galleries is taken care of.

iDisk will be taken care of as applications update to enable iCloud syncing.

Boom, done.

Almost. There is no interoperability between programs so you can't open the same file in Pages and MS Office, assuming Office would, despite all odds, integrate into iCloud. With iDisk the same files were accessible by all apps that played with the iDisk APIs. So there is some loss in this new system. The Office case was an example just to explain my point so don't stick to that App should you reply. Also, with the way things are setup now, you can't have a single folder that contains all the files from a single project. What would be nice is if iCloud became "smart" and let me put pages, numbers, pdfs, etc. all in one folder and if I try to open a numbers file in Pages, it just launches it in Numbers, and vice versa.

• Reply 7 of 26
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

So, when does everybody think Mountain Lion will be slinking onto our Macs?

Early this month, or late this month?

By the way, I hate it when international companies have product releases listed under the seasons (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer).

It's far more professional, and requires no calculation by international customers, to use 'first, second, third, or fourth quarter'.)

• Reply 8 of 26
    [quote name="GTR" url="/t/151049/icloud-beta-site-reveals-new-web-based-notes-reminders#post_2138884"]So, when does everybody think Mountain Lion will be slinking onto our Macs?[/QUOTE]

July 31.
  • Reply 9 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I thought so but I don't do enough with photos to know. All I know is that read about Gallery complaints every day.

Probably because there is no Journals in iPhoto for OS X. Let's see if ML fixes that when it offers more iOSification and iCloud integration.

• Reply 10 of 26
    gtr wrote: »
    July 31.

July 27th.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    solipsismx wrote: »
    July 27th.

Do they normally do software on Fridays?
  • Reply 12 of 26

July 25th, day after the Quarterly, like last year.

• Reply 13 of 26
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Can anyone confirm whether or not the beta site's Mail app has threaded messaging or not? One of the bigger annoyances of the web-based portion of iCloud mail is no threaded messaging

• Reply 14 of 26
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    2) A bit of a nitpick but I wish they'd change the name from Find my iPhone to something else.
    3) I really wish they'd add some extra security to the Find My iPhone feature. It's too easy to access Settings to disable it (wish I could PIN protect some aspect of Settings that turns it on/off) and if possible even add a PIN to turn off the device. Now this latter request has the issue of a hard reset for a locked device being key to general usability. Even with the rarity that an iDevice has to be reset it does happen and you can't be forced to wait for the battery to drain if you can't input an unlock code turn it off. My solution, if technically possible, would be to have a restart be wired as a hard boot and turning it off require a PIN.

I understand this may not be an ideal workflow but you might wish to try the following:

Settings>General>Restrictions
    Privacy: Location> Don't Allow Changes

Allow Changes: Accounts>Don't Allow Changes

Allow Changes: Find My Friends>Don't Allow Changes

The three changes above will disable the ability (without entering another passcode) for someone to prevent tracking of a lost or misplaced iPhone by disabling Locations, deleting or modifying an iCloud account and disabling Find My Friends. The only means to then prevent tracking is to turn off the iPhone.
  • Reply 15 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Early this month, or late this month?

By the way, I hate it when international companies have product releases listed under the seasons (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer).

It's far more professional, and requires no calculation by international customers, to use 'first, second, third, or fourth quarter'.)

http://www.apple.com/au/ios/ios6/

Looks like they get the wording right on the international pages. Besides, people are going to refer to specific quarters casually by their casual names: winter, spring, summer, fall. It seems more natural that way.

• Reply 16 of 26
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member

Who cares.

Get back to me when they release a full replacement for Gallery that integrates with iPhoto (desktop).

• Reply 17 of 26
    spamboyspamboy Posts: 34member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I honestly don't know if this is why, but Apple ends it's third financial quarter in late June. Maybe it's to avoid that confusion. I like the way Procter & Gamble refers to the quarters...JFM, AMJ, JAS, OND (Jan/Feb/March, etc.).

• Reply 18 of 26
    iandeaniandean Posts: 23member

Quarters are a tricky one, cause financial quarters and tax quarters all start at very different times in different companies and countries.  Maybe the easiest thing to give us is an actual month, or if that's too much of an exact, Mid 2012 will do.

• Reply 19 of 26
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member

A bit off-topic, but Find my iPhone is of no use if the person stealing the phone has simply turned it off.

This happened to me last year. My iPhone 4 was pinched, and the thief simply turned it off. If Apple would change iOS so that your PIN is required to turn the phone off, that would help somewhat. Doing a hard reset should also require your PIN so that the scallywag can't go down that route.

• Reply 20 of 26

Too much skeuomorphism!  Do i really need faux wood on all of my apps?