Apple iOS growth doubles Android over last three months, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
While Android and iOS continue to dominate the smartphone market, new data released on Monday suggests that the growth of Google's mobile OS may be slowing as Apple saw two new users for every Android customer during the past three months.

Android users accounted for 50.9 percent of the U.S. smartphone market while iOS garnered 31.9 percent according to research firm comScore's MobiLens service which surveyed 30,000 mobile subscribers during the three months ending in May.

Both of the top two operating systems managed modest gains but Apple more than doubled Android's growth with the Google OS seeing a 0.8 point during the three months while iOS added 1.7 percent over the same period. The change is reflective of the most recent findings from April which saw a negative month-to-month growth for Android. Google eked out a monthly growth of 0.1 points from April to May as next-closest competitor Apple grew 0.5 poins over the same month.

RIM came in a distant third for the three-month period ending in May and managed 11.4 percent, a substantial two percent drop from the beginning of February as the embattled BlackBerry maker undergoes massive restructuring and corporate turmoil. Microsoft's share grew 0.1 percent to finish May with 4 percent of the market while the defunct Symbian OS rounded out the top five with 1.1 percent dropping 0.4 points.

OEM
Source: comScore

Of the 234 million Americans age 13 and older using mobile devices, smartphone owners accounted for a healthy 110 million users at the end of May, up 5 percent from February.

Samsung retained its crown as the nation's top combined feature phone and smartphone OEM with a commanding 25.7 percent share of the market, up 0.1 percent from three months ago and was followed by Korean handset maker LG's 19.1 percent share. Apple continued to exhibit signs of growth on strong sales of the newest iPhone 4S and grew 1.5 percentage points to claim 15 percent of the market. Motorola and HTC trailed the pack and managed 12 percent and 6.1 percent, respectively.

OS Marketshare

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    After spending several hours at Tampa International Airport this last weekend I have to say it was a sea of Apple devices and hardly anything else in sight.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    But, but 1M activations?!?!
  • Reply 3 of 24
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Most surprising is thechange comes during the iPhone 4S being halfway through its yearly cycle. Also, it's based on the total market percentage. If we only look at the relative growth then iOS for iPhone grew 5.6% whilst Android grew 1.16%. No matter how to you cut it Android's market growth is stagnating even more devices that can technically run Android OS are being used for devices that aren't what I'd call a modern smartphone. The only growth it's seeing, as noted by their suspicious activation numbers, appear to be from the overall growth of the market itself.

After spending several hours at Tampa International Airport this last weekend I have to say it was a sea of Apple devices and hardly anything else in sight.

You never know, many of Samsung devices look like Apple devices. ????
  • Reply 4 of 24
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Most surprising is thechange comes during the iPhone 4S being halfway through its yearly cycle. Also, it's based on the total market percentage. If we only look at the relative growth then iOS for iPhone grew 5.6% whilst Android grew 1.16%. No matter how to you cut it Android's market growth is stagnating even more devices that can technically run Android OS are being used for devices that aren't what I'd call a modern smartphone. The only growth it's seeing, as noted by their suspicious activation numbers, appear to be from the overall growth of the market itself.

it is stagnatting in the US and countries where smartphone market= handset market.

in china and europe? it won't slow down soon.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

it is stagnatting in the US and countries where smartphone market= handset market.

in china and europe? it won't slow down soon.

First appearance of a massive Android virus I predict the Chinese government bans Android.

• Reply 6 of 24
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

First appearance of a massive Android virus I predict the Chinese government bans Android.

I'd better get cracking then!  ;)

Seriously though - does the Android Marketplace have tighter controls over there?  

• Reply 7 of 24
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    It's still mind-boggling that one company has a third of the market, and people act like they're losing.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    hittrj01 wrote: »
    It's still mind-boggling that one company has a third of the market, and people act like they're losing.

The HW market, no less. If MS had 1/3rd of the smartphone market with cheap Windows Phone licenses people would rally for their success but when Apple has 1/3rd of the smartphone hardware by only selling only devices that actually yield them a profit that upset carriers who can't squeeze them dry because their devices are actually desirable despite their attempts to never sell an iPhone Apple is called a loser.

I wonder how much of the OS market Apple would have if they simply gave iOS away to any and all vendors?
  • Reply 9 of 24
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Just like D cups look like B cups lol
  • Reply 10 of 24
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm assuming that the Apple VS Samsung lawsuits are behind closed doors, though I'm not certain of that. But, I would have loved to have seen a youtube video of the Samsung lawyer not being able to identify the Samsung device from the Apple device when the Judge asked them to. That would have been pure comedy gold.

• Reply 11 of 24
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    christophb wrote: »
    I'd better get cracking then!  ;)

Seriously though - does the Android Marketplace have tighter controls over there?  

I don't believe the Android Marketplace is allowed there. They have a Chinese version, but I don't know if it's run by Google or not.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The HW market, no less. If MS had 1/3rd of the smartphone market with cheap Windows Phone licenses people would rally for their success but when Apple has 1/3rd of the smartphone hardware by only selling only devices that actually yield them a profit that upset carriers who can't squeeze them dry because their devices are actually desirable despite their attempts to never sell an iPhone Apple is called a loser.
    I wonder how much of the OS market Apple would have if they simply gave iOS away to any and all vendors?

I think we know the answer to your last statement.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Does anybody else suspect that the 'World Of Warcraft' gold farms in Korea may have been converted into 'Android Handset Activation' farms?

It sounds like they're starting to get tired...

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Great. I can see the headlines now:

"Tampa Internatonal Airport sues Apple for flooding them."

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I trust these data reports like I trust analyst reports.

@Sol - And as we all know, you can't spell 'Data Report' with including the word 'an...' (>_<)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Just like D cups look like B cups lol

Of all the analogies you could have chosen you just happened to pick the one that makes you look the classiest...

• Reply 14 of 24

Haha good one.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    gtr wrote: »

Great. I can see the headlines now:

"Tampa Internatonal Airport sues Apple for flooding them."

Good one. Given Debbie closed the Sunshine Skyway I think most knew where the water was coming from ... It was bad!
  • Reply 16 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Good one. Given Debbie closed the Sunshine Skyway I think most knew where the water was coming from ... It was bad!

Three days IIRC. I'm fairly close by. Thank goodness I didn't have to travel all around the bay to get home! Miserable drive I'm sure.

• Reply 17 of 24
    drealothdrealoth Posts: 79member

Looking at it another way:

Apple's share is up 5.6%

Microsoft's share is up 2.6%

Android's share is up 1.6%

And RIM... oh RIM. RIM's share is down almost 15%.

I think that last bit is the most remarkable part of this data. I don't think I've seen a fall from grace as fast as RIM's. Deserved, for sure, but startling none the less.

• Reply 18 of 24
    cuencapcuencap Posts: 99member
    I don't get AI's math...

0.8% of 50.9% of the market is more than half of 1.7% of iOS's 31.9% of the market...!

50.9% of 110 million = 55,990,000 (0.8% increase from last quarter = 445k gain)
    31.9% of 110 million = 35,090,000 (1.7% increase from last quarter = 587k gain)

Sorry AI, while I like the headline, you can't simply say iOS gained 2 for every 1 Android newbie.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    cuencap wrote: »
    I don't get AI's math...
    0.8% of 50.9% of the market is more than half of 1.7% of iOS's 31.9% of the market...!
    50.9% of 110 million = 55,990,000 (0.8% increase from last quarter = 445k gain)
    31.9% of 110 million = 35,090,000 (1.7% increase from last quarter = 587k gain)
    Sorry AI, while I like the headline, you can't simply say iOS gained 2 for every 1 Android newbie.

1) It's not AI's math.

2) The math and their headline is correct. They didn't say a 2 for 1 gain in units they clearly stated that the growth rate was double.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Would love to see some global data. Data from just one country isn't all that interesting.