Apple sued over 'Snow Leopard' moniker in China for $80K

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiddleGuy View Post

Next lawsuit: A Chinese bread company sued Google over 'gingerbread', 'ice cream sandwich', 'jelly bean' for $120 million US dollars. lol.

Proview makes monitors... they sue Apple for the iPad brand.

CTL makes monitors, they have a Nexus brand.. do you think they will sue Google for the Nexus 7 brand?  doubt it. 

• Reply 22 of 99
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Imagine if Apple's OS nicknames were based on genus Ailuropoda and they wandered into Panda name territory. Holy jeez if they dared to put the word Happy or Lucky in front.

O

ver
  • Reply 23 of 99
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

Not to mention the Wi-Fi base stations.

• Reply 24 of 99
    Fair go all, what's with the Chinese bashing!? Apple is the first company to jump on anyone that that uses a similar symbol to its own, or even similar wording. All companies must defend their trademarks or risk having them diluted or losing them. Jiangsu is asking a pittance which shows it is not really interested in the money, just in defending its trademark. Now, Apple will probably fight it as they too want to defend the Snow Leopard name but some sort of small settle will probably be made, maybe allowing both companies to use the name.

Food for thought (pun intended)

http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2009/10/06/Apple-Of-Their-i-Apple-Sues-Aussie-Woolworths-Over-Trademark.aspx
  • Reply 25 of 99
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

In other news, Apple reconsiders plans for OSX 10.88 Lucky Spring Lotus Star Dragon 

• Reply 26 of 99
    jakeb wrote: »
    In other news, Apple reconsiders plans for OSX 10.88 Lucky Spring Lotus Star Dragon 

I understand the term 'Jade Gate' is property of the oldest Chinese profession. Anything Jade is out of the question.
  • Reply 27 of 99
    Fair go all, what's with the Chinese bashing!? Apple is the first company to jump on anyone that that uses a similar symbol to its own, or even similar wording. All companies must defend their trademarks or risk having them diluted or losing them. Jiangsu is asking a pittance which shows it is not really interested in the money, just in defending its trademark. Now, Apple will probably fight it as they too want to defend the Snow Leopard name but some sort of small settle will probably be made, maybe allowing both companies to use the name.
    Food for thought (pun intended)
    http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2009/10/06/Apple-Of-Their-i-Apple-Sues-Aussie-Woolworths-Over-Trademark.aspx

The people that would confuse what they are selling with an OS made for exclusive hardware..... are not Apple's market. I think it's called satire. If there's a thing in nature called a snow leopard, those guys are screwed. It's prior art whether you are from Adam or chimp.
  • Reply 28 of 99
    twoslicktwoslick Posts: 17member

Easy fix.  Just change the name in China to "Snow Repord".

• Reply 29 of 99
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoslick View Post

Easy fix.  Just change the name in China to "Snow Repord".

Or Mac OS X 10.6

• Reply 30 of 99
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

whats wrong with Mountain Rion? 

• Reply 31 of 99
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    christophb wrote: »
    Imagine if Apple's OS nicknames were based on genus Ailuropoda and they wandered into Panda name territory. Holy jeez if they dared to put the word Happy or Lucky in front.
    O
    ver
    BHA
  • Reply 32 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

whats wrong with Mountain Rion? 

Nice try, but the Chinese don't do the L R thing, that's the Japanese.
  • Reply 33 of 99
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member

I think that this is getting ridiculous! I'm sure every animal name is taken somewhere so pretty much nothing is left!

• Reply 34 of 99

"Hey Apple, we're a bankrupt Chinese company, and we hold the Chinese trademark for 'fruit', and since an apple is a fruit, you need to pay us, like.... I dunno, $60 Million?"

Proview's victory just opened the floodgates.

• Reply 35 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by kustardking View Post

Nice try, but the Chinese don't do the L R thing, that's the Japanese.

First of all, explaining a joke ruins it, second of off, ive been to hong kong & Japan, i know the difference, but a joke is for laughs, I thought you might get funny, you know because of your user name? :p

• Reply 36 of 99
    russgrizrussgriz Posts: 20member

In other news, one of the world's oldest partnerships is suing Apple Inc. for use of their trademark.  Said a representative, "I think our usage of the Apple is firmly established.  You will find evidence in any motel room nightstand.  For use of our trademark, we demand that Apple take it's fair share of Original Sin."

Signed,

Adam and Eve Inc.

• Reply 37 of 99

Having settled with Proview for $60M, Apple is going to be harassed for all their worth. 

Cook is not showing the backbone that Jobs had. Apple will pay dearly for Cook's miscalculation; they're an easy target now. Unless Apple management gets a backbone, it will follow RIMM and Nokia to the grave.

• Reply 38 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

First of all, explaining a joke ruins it, second of off, ive been to hong kong & Japan, i know the difference, but a joke is for laughs, I thought you might get funny, you know because of your user name? :p

It would have been funny were it the Japanese suing. And BTW, Kustard King was an ice cream purveyor in the 1900's (is it too early to call them that?), so you missed again. :p
  • Reply 39 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by kustardking View Post

It would have been funny were it the Japanese suing. And BTW, Kustard King was an ice cream purveyor in the 1900's (is it too early to call them that?), so you missed again. :p

Im from Australia :) I have no idea what that is :p never heard of it & we don't have it as far as i know. funny must not be your field, remember what i said about explaining jokes :p thats cool, wont judge, lets stick with apple products & how we all love them & how we hate everyone else that likes stuff that we dont :p

On a side note, i have friends on facebook, massive android fans, popular opionion amunst those guys seems to be that apple is a massive patent troll & dont like competition :S

• Reply 40 of 99
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

??????????????????

Nothing personal, but can you post in English?  Please.  Thank you.