Production of Apple's next iMac to begin this month for October launch - report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's supply chain is reportedly gearing up to ship components for the company's next-generation iMac this month, with a product launch expected in October.

Unnamed sources in Apple's upstream supply chain indicated to DigiTimes that mass production of the new all-in-one PC is expected to begin this month. Supply chain chatter also indicated that Apple wishes to expand high-resolution Retina displays to its entire Mac lineup, and that the next iMac has a "high chance of featuring a Retina Display."

The main obstacle for a Retina display in the next iMac is cost: Apple's high-resolution screens are more expensive than the "Full HD" panels that Windows PC makers have been pushing for their own products.

But the cost of Retina displays could also be to Apple's advantage in competing with cheaper Windows PCs that carry lower margins. Tuesday's report indicated that Apple is pushing for quick adoption of Retina displays in all of its Mac products, as the company is "hoping to surpass its competitors in terms of screen resolution."

The report also indicated that a newly designed iMac could also arrive in 2013 along with a redesigned Mac Pro. In response to criticism, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook confirmed last month that the company is planning to update its Mac Pro desktop with a new, "really great" model next year.

iMac

Apple's iMac is the most popular all-in-one computer in the world, with estimated sales of 1.22 million units in the first quarter of this year. The iMac lineup, available in screen sizes of 21.5 and 27 inches, was last updated in May of 2011 with quad-core Sandy Bridge processors and high-speed Thunderbolt ports.

Various rumors throughout 2012 have suggested the next iMacs will feature high-resolution Retina displays. However, one recent report suggested Apple's 2012 iMac refresh won't feature a Retina display, and that the new screen will instead debut in 2013 when costs are more reasonable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    starburststarburst Posts: 39member

I likes my iMac, I want a 60" Apple TV.

• Reply 2 of 84
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

That would be amazing if it did have a Retina display. I would buy one for sure.

• Reply 3 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [B][I][U][SIZE=170px]DigiTimes.[/SIZE][/U][/I][/B]

My stars, man.
  • Reply 4 of 84
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member

Sorry for the fuzzy memory. I seem to remember somebody talking about the iMac NOT getting the Retina display due to the sheer volume of pixels.   I think the argument was that the Thunderbolt port can't support that much information.  And since iMacs are often used as target displays for laptops...    Or something along that line.   

• Reply 5 of 84
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

DigiTimes.

My stars, man.

One of the few times I'd agree with this level of emphasis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's supply chain is reportedly gearing up to ship components for the company's next-generation iMac this month, with a product launch expected in October.

The report also indicated that a newly designed iMac could also arrive in 2013 along with a redesigned Mac Pro.

In other news, the next iPad with IGZO display is expected to be released at Apple's September event. It could also arrive in early 2013. Or mid 2013...

And here everything else was pointing towards a July introduction.

• Reply 6 of 84
    sasparillasasparilla Posts: 121member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Sorry for the fuzzy memory. I seem to remember somebody talking about the iMac NOT getting the Retina display due to the sheer volume of pixels.   I think the argument was that the Thunderbolt port can't support that much information.  And since iMacs are often used as target displays for laptops...    Or something along that line.   

Frankly I hope this isn't the case regarding Thunderbolt - we don't need Thunderbolt v2 before the Thunderbolt v1.0 is even widely used.

I'd guess the display panels are just alot more expensive.  We'll see next year.  I'm surprised that it won't roll out till October though...I was really expecting the refresh with Mountain Lion launch this month.

• Reply 7 of 84
    davidnessdavidness Posts: 34member

I hope that Apple does offer the next iMac with a 27" Retina display. I've been waiting a while for a new Mac (I was holding out for an truly updated Mac Pro), but have decided the iMac will suffice. I'd hate to be tempted to hold off until 2013 for a Retina 27" iMac. So my advice to Apple; Push! Stretch! Push the envelope and be truly ahead of the pack!

• Reply 8 of 84
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by starburst View Post

I likes my iMac, I want a 60" Apple TV.

Very pleased with my 27" Core i7 :)  Would buy another anytime.

• Reply 9 of 84
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

DigiTimes.

My stars, man.

WasteOfTimes.

• Reply 10 of 84
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member

They may do a 24" retina, instead of 27".  With ability to drive 2 external 24" retina displays.  I could go for that.

Somehow, I don't think Retina iMac will happen in October.  They need to do 13" MBP Retina before doing the retina iMac.

• Reply 11 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    applegreen wrote: »
    Somehow, I don't think Retina iMac will happen in October.  They need to do 13" MBP Retina before doing the retina iMac.

Why? Not that I don't agree, but not for that reason.
  • Reply 12 of 84
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

They need to do 13" MBP Retina before doing the retina iMac.

The day they release a Retina MBA is the day my bank account trembles with fear...

• Reply 13 of 84
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member

Hopefully with matte display, at least as an option, even if more expensive:

MacMatte (matte petition)

• Reply 14 of 84
    tokenusertokenuser Posts: 69member

Quote:

Sure it can - but not using copper, it needs the fiber based implementation*

And - lo and behold - the Apple gear with TB ports are optical ready ... http://www.tuaw.com/2012/03/13/optical-cables-for-thunderbolt-coming-in-2012/

But thats irrelevant. The iMac is an All-in-one device. The display is not connected by a TB port, it is wired into the mobo. For everyone else ... wait for the upgrade to fibre TB cable later this year.

* I am trying to find the link that showed the speed of the fibre vs copper TB, but can now only find info suggesting that fibre will allow greater cable runs.

• Reply 15 of 84

the next generation iMac will have a retina display, proprietary solid state storage, soldered ram, and no optical drive, and be super thin. also just like the MacBook Pro, they will keep the old ones around for the weak.

• Reply 16 of 84
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

Re-designed iMac next year would be great for me, my Apple care runs out on my 2010 iMac in November 2013 so an October release would certainly suit me!

• Reply 17 of 84
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

I'd rather see a redesigned iMac with an anti-glare screen. "Retina Display" is just a marketing gimmick to justify the premium price. I doubt most people would even notice the difference. 

• Reply 18 of 84
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

"Retina Display" is just a marketing gimmick to justify the premium price. I doubt most people would even notice the difference. 

Have you ever seen a Retina Display from Apple? Compared it to the previous gen screen? The display on my iPad 3 is worlds better than my 21.5" iMac. It's immediately noticeable on switching between the two.

• Reply 19 of 84
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

Quote:

I know it's a lot of pixels, but the iMac has the space for a discrete GPU or two.

Same goes for a thunderbolt cinema display... in fact I'm surprised that those dedicated displays aren't equipped with serious GPUs already... they cost so much...

And you say thunderbolt (maybe) can't support that much info?  Umm... it's a PCIe bus... can that really be a bottleneck already?  You may be right, for all I know, but I would be very surprised.  I'm itching to crunch some numbers on it, but I'm scarce on idle time...

• Reply 20 of 84
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Have you ever seen a Retina Display from Apple? Compared it to the previous gen screen? The display on my iPad 3 is worlds better than my 21.5" iMac. It's immediately noticeable on switching between the two.

Yeah, I feel like you can look at the rMBP screen and think it's no big deal, like, "Huh?  What's the buzz all about?" but... then you go back to your regular pro or MBA and THAT'S when you start seeing what you're missing.

My MBA hasn't been seeing much use since I got the new iPad, but I grabbed it last night and had this exact experience.  Everything looks crudgy now, but I used to think it was great; I just never really knew any better.