Apple's 'iPad mini' rumored with 7.85" IGZO display for $250-$300

Comments

• Reply 21 of 158
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

It seems sensible for Apple to prep a smaller iPad just in case the 7 inch tablets take off, 

That is the last reason why Apple would be doing it. They don't care what the other boys do. If they don't like something (like say Blu-ray in a computer) for whatever reason, they won't do it no matter how many other folks do it and how well it sells for them. 

They will do it if they see a value in it and can do it well. Period. Steve's comment was likely based on actual testing that showed they couldn't do it well. Not as an iPad. As something else remains to be seen. Although some random foreign website repeating a rumor that has been put out there more than once and hasn't happened is hardly reason to get your heart set on something

• Reply 22 of 158
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member

Or perhaps this is not about trying to compete with crap like Kindle and Nexus 7. Perhaps it's about the fact that a large market of people want an iPad style device (from Apple) but want a smaller form factor which would make it easier to transport and carry around.  iPad is great, but it is rather big for constant every day use.

I would certainly buy a 7.75" iPad just because it would be great size for me.

• Reply 23 of 158
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvvv View Post

This will work. Most of the people I know that own a iPad use it mostly for media consumption (browsing, books, videos, games), not productivity. If there's an iPad with a significantly lower price and a 7.85 inch screen, this thing will sell like hotcakes. The advantage Apple has over the Nexus 7 is its selling network. It has Stores all over the world and sells its products in a wide variety of shops. This alone will allow the 7.85 inch iPad to sell like crazy, while the Nexus 7 will only be available in the upcoming months in the US, UK and Canada.

And I wonder if they'll drop the price of their iPod Touch. A 16GB version could become the base-model at 199$.

The reason it would work is because if they do as expected all the iPad 2 app's will work perfectly on it from day one - which means games, games, games galore - oh and a few eBooks of course.

• Reply 24 of 158
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member

I hope these rumors are true. I need the smaller form factor that this screen size would allow. I know Apple could make an awesome "mini." 

I'll take two please......

• Reply 25 of 158
    jpb531jpb531 Posts: 1member

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvvv View Post

This will work. Most of the people I know that own a iPad use it mostly for media consumption (browsing, books, videos, games), not productivity. If there's an iPad with a significantly lower price and a 7.85 inch screen, this thing will sell like hotcakes. The advantage Apple has over the Nexus 7 is its selling network. It has Stores all over the world and sells its products in a wide variety of shops. This alone will allow the 7.85 inch iPad to sell like crazy, while the Nexus 7 will only be available in the upcoming months in the US, UK and Canada.

And I wonder if they'll drop the price of their iPod Touch. A 16GB version could become the base-model at 199$.

Bingo.  I don't know if I'd use the smaller form factor for videos, but I much prefer the kindle/nook tablet form factor as a reading device.  I've been pondering buying a nook color to use as a dedicated reading device to supplement my iPad - I'd buy a smaller form factor iPad at $249 in a heart beat for such a purpose.

• Reply 26 of 158
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    charlituna wrote: »
    That is the ppi for a phone but the iPad is said to be held further away and the size of the unit does't change that distance so shouldn't they be using the same 264 ppi as the retina iPad. 

This rumour is based on a PPI of 163, same as the original iPhone. It comes from taking the original iPhone panels and cutting them to be 1024x768, the resolution of the original iPad. That gives you a diagonal length of 7.85".

If they are going to lessen production of the original iPhone display later this year by moving the iPhone 4 to the 'free with contract" category that the iPhone 3GS now resides then they will either be stopping the iPhone 3GS production or slowing it dramatically and keeping it for less developed markets. This means they could capitalize on these 163 PPI panels to maximize their investments.

I'm not sure how IGZO fits in with this and this "scenario" could just as easily been invented from Apple or from something running the numbers as I did above to find a "solution" that works but it should at least be vetted as the numbers do work. The question is really about Apple really wanting to continue to use the 163 PPI panels for several more years, if they want to weaken their iPad brand with a smaller iPad, and if they are ready to add another display size and resolution into Xcode and the App Store for devs and users to deal with. On top of that numbers should be run to see if a crapper version of this smaller iPad would hurt the larger, more profitable model in sales and in the ecosystem, or if it's the less of two evils to keep the cheap 7" tablets from gaining any marketshare even though that hasn't effected their PC business.
  • Reply 27 of 158
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Everybody seems to be forgetting the school market.
    You do not really need the retina display there. They could just add more memory for all those interactive books.
    Price it at $250. with a discount for students.
    Apple will have that market all to themselves.
    After some studies come out of those school districtrs are doing so much better to keep the attention span of the kids, this segment will EXPLODE.
  • Reply 28 of 158
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    This rumour is based on a PPI of 163, same as the original iPhone. It comes from taking the original iPhone panels and cutting them to be 1024x768, the resolution of the original iPad. That gives you a diagonal length of 7.85".
    If they are going to lessen production of the original iPhone display later this year by moving the iPhone 4 to the 'free with contract" category that the iPhone 3GS now resides then they will either be stopping the iPhone 3GS production or slowing it dramatically and keeping it for less developed markets. This means they could capitalize on these 163 PPI panels to maximize their investments.
    I'm not sure how IGZO fits in with this and this "scenario" could just as easily been invented from Apple or from something running the numbers as I did above to find a "solution" that works but it should at least be vetted as the numbers do work. The question is really about Apple really wanting to continue to use the 163 PPI panels for several more years, if they want to weaken their iPad brand with a smaller iPad, and if they are ready to add another display size and resolution into Xcode and the App Store for devs and users to deal with. On top of that numbers should be run to see if a crapper version of this smaller iPad would hurt the larger, more profitable model in sales and in the ecosystem, or if it's the less of two evils to keep the cheap 7" tablets from gaining any marketshare even though that hasn't effected their PC business.

Since iOS6 still supports the iPhone 3GS, I don't see production stopping anytime soon.
  • Reply 29 of 158
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member
    Perhaps I should have said "a seven inch device"! I agree with you, but also think this market is so new that Apple will be watching carefully. It might turn out that some people want a pure consumption device, an iTunes Pad perhaps. I still think it's feasible that they are experimenting, but that doesn't mean it will see the light of day.
  • Reply 30 of 158
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Since nobody seems to be questioning the credentials of MyDrivers.com, I’ll be that guy :)

How is this different from any random web site claiming an anonymous source? I can do that myself!

I have an anonymous source. 

Wow, that was easier than I thought! But without a track record, I hope you didn’t believe me...

P.S. There are reasons in favor of an 8” iPad, and there are reasons against. One possible big reason in favor: if Apple can’t MAKE enough 10” units (as seems to be the case) then another size might be the only way to reach more people. As long as making it doesn’t cannibalize production of 10” displays. Tim Cook is the guy to figure out that equation for sure!

• Reply 31 of 158
    boxmaccaryboxmaccary Posts: 146member

THERE WILL NOT BE NOW, NOR WILL THERE EVER BE, A FUCKING "iPadMini"!!!!

THE NEXUS7 & KINDLE FIRE WILL SLUG IT OUT FOR THE PROVERBIAL "RACE TO THE BOTTOM".

CAN WE FUCKING STOP TALKING ABOUT THAT?!?

FOR ****'S SAKE ....
  • Reply 32 of 158
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    No. No, no, no. No iPad Mini. Not very Apple-esque.

Oh really... Like Apple never sold an iPod Mini after seeing such overwhelming success with the orginal iPod.

Anyway... Given the ever-increasing file sizes of iOS apps (on ALL ioS devices) after the introduction of the 'new' iPad, providing a mere 8gb of storage would render the device good for little more than web surfing and little else.
  • Reply 33 of 158
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    boxmaccary wrote: »

THERE WILL NOT BE NOW, NOR WILL THERE EVER BE, A FUCKING "iPadMini"!!!!
    THE NEXUS7 & KINDLE FIRE WILL SLUG IT OUT FOR THE PROVERBIAL "RACE TO THE BOTTOM".
    CAN WE FUCKING STOP TALKING ABOUT THAT?!?
    FOR ****'S SAKE ....

And you know this because.......?
    nagromme wrote: »
    Since nobody seems to be questioning the credentials of MyDrivers.com, I’ll be that guy :)

How is this different from any random web site claiming an anonymous source? I can do that myself!

I have an anonymous source. 

Wow, that was easier than I thought! But without a track record, I hope you didn’t believe me...

P.S. There are reasons in favor of an 8” iPad, and there are reasons against. One possible big reason in favor: if Apple can’t MAKE enough 10” units (as seems to be the case) then another size might be the only way to reach more people. As long as making it doesn’t cannibalize production of 10” displays. Tim Cook is the guy to figure out that equation for sure!

The difference is that it's not a single source. This rumor has been coming up frequently from sources all over the place. That doesn't make it true, but it also makes it difficult to dismiss out of hand.
  • Reply 34 of 158

I've read the Chinese page, it says the source is from Taiwanese supply chain, it is said to be thiner and lighter than the iPad 2 with increased battery life.

Personally I'd love to see thiner bezels on all but the top and use it like a small note pad.

• Reply 35 of 158
    pythopytho Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nonsense.

Apple has always shown a willingness to adapt.

At the time the iPad was introduced, there was no real competition, so there was no problem with only having one size. Now that the market has grown to its current size, there's no reason not to have 2 sizes.

As it is, Apple is completely ignoring the lower half of the market. Not only does it lose sales, but it allows the competition to get a foot-hold. They don't need to match the price of low end tablets, but they need to have something.

And they can't simply drop the iPad 2 to $299. First, margins would stink. Second, that lowers the perceived value of a 10" tablet - which would impact the new iPad, as well.

Didn't Jobs say you would need sandpaper? will these ship with sandpaper for your fingers or will that cost extra?
    Apple was very vocal about the current size of ipad being optimal and a smaller one wasn't going to happen. I think this is just another rumour that won't pan out.
  • Reply 36 of 158
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xero910 View Post

The only reason I see Apple releasing an “iPad Mini” is to solidify its position as the tablet leader. You’d have a hard time arguing that they aren’t already, but this would allow Apple to effectively eliminate the competition with only 2 product lines.

Agree. Apparently there is a significant demand for these mini tablets so it is in Apple's best interest to make sure it is filled by them. Go Apple!

• Reply 37 of 158
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Three years from now, anyone suggesting a [I]smaller[/I] tablet would be better will be laughed into obscurity.

The iPad is only getting larger.
  • Reply 38 of 158
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

The difference is that it's not a single source. This rumor has been coming up frequently from sources all over the place. That doesn't make it true, but it also makes it difficult to dismiss out of hand.

Multiple "sources" doesn't necessarily add any credibility since they may either simply be echoing each other, or may all be getting "fed" this rumor from the same source. We'd need to know a lot more about the "source" of this rumor (we really know nothing now) to give it any credibility based on the number of sites repeating it.

The iPhone Nano rumor was all over the place, and not only has that not panned out, but it seems unlikely it ever will.

• Reply 39 of 158
    pythopytho Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Nonsense.

Apple has always shown a willingness to adapt.

At the time the iPad was introduced, there was no real competition, so there was no problem with only having one size. Now that the market has grown to its current size, there's no reason not to have 2 sizes.

As it is, Apple is completely ignoring the lower half of the market. Not only does it lose sales, but it allows the competition to get a foot-hold. They don't need to match the price of low end tablets, but they need to have something.

And they can't simply drop the iPad 2 to $299. First, margins would stink. Second, that lowers the perceived value of a 10" tablet - which would impact the new iPad, as well.

Apple innovates and, as I have read elsewhere on the forum, it seems competition doesn't drive innovation. Therefore Apple will not be putting out a 7" ipad since it isn't innovative and would merely be driven by 'competition'.
  • Reply 40 of 158
    amoradalaamoradala Posts: 146member
    I am suspicious that alot of the supporters of the mini ipad are also pro android in other threads.

Could it be that if apple release a mini ipad they can . . .

Say Apple is copying samsung, google, amazon etc and will bleat about it forevermore?

Know that it will take away sales of the larger ipad?

Be against steve jobs' advice and make him look untruthful or wrong, and thus reflect badly on him, Tim Cook and Apple?