Apple's 'iPad mini' rumored with 7.85" IGZO display for $250-$300

Comments

• Reply 81 of 158
    pythopytho Posts: 10member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, screamingfist, who has created a second account, he's saying that your conclusion… can't be drawn from your premise.

Which is pretty darn clear if you read his post.

ha, ha, ha. no, he is pissed off that i am throwing the same garbage that apple fan boys spewed earlier right back in his face. And using the same 'logic' that was applied when the shoe was on the fanboy foot, my logic is sound. you are all so pathetic and two-faced it makes me laugh. bye now.

• Reply 82 of 158
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

THERE WILL NOT BE NOW, NOR WILL THERE EVER BE, A FUCKING "iPadMini"!!!!

THE NEXUS7 & KINDLE FIRE WILL SLUG IT OUT FOR THE PROVERBIAL "RACE TO THE BOTTOM".

CAN WE FUCKING STOP TALKING ABOUT THAT?!?

FOR ****'S SAKE ....

Are you Tim Cook or Jony Ive? No? Well then you don't know any more than the rest of us. And no I won't stop talking about it.

• Reply 83 of 158
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Why, oh why, do people keep pointing to this one quote and the definitive evidence that there's not a viable market for a tablet in this size range. I have a news flash for you, Steve Jobs is/was not God. He was not all-knowing. He (and Apple) has made mistakes (and some could argue, intentional misleadings to drive the market in the direction he wanted it to go.

- Steve said Apple wasn't interested in being in the living room...before they made the AppleTV

- Steve said the buttonless iPod shuffle was the best shuffle ever...before they reverted back to essentially the exact design they had previously WITH the buttons.

- Steve explained the dropping of Firewire from some laptop models by saying that nothing used them...before they put the port back on several of the models they took it off from.

If you think the above quote is the end of the discussion, you really need to lay off the Kool-Aid. Steve was as much a marketer as anything else. Every CEO praises his company's products while critcizing the competition's. Steve was much more elequent than every other CEO, but at the end of the day, that all that statement can be reliably considered...a CEO saying how great his company's product was vs the competition.

You have inferred all of this, not me. I just copied and pasted the quote because it's of interest to the discussion. My earlier comment speculated that Apple 'might' release a smaller device, but I think it would be more of a consumption device. The fact is nobody here, including your good self, knows what Apple will or won't release, but it's fun to speculate and hear what others think. Fun until people start getting irate at least.

• Reply 84 of 158
    pythopytho Posts: 10member

Quote:

Well, screamingfist, who has created a second account, he's saying that your conclusion… can't be drawn from your premise.

Which is pretty darn clear if you read his post.

and no, its not that i am not clever enough to post from another IP. you guys just ain't worth the trouble.

• Reply 85 of 158
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    python wrote: »
    …apple fan boys… …fanboy… …you are all so pathetic and two-faced… bye now.

Later, skater.
  • Reply 86 of 158
    mtmw1863mtmw1863 Posts: 4member

I really think that this will be a "iPod Deluxe" That is why it will be released in the fall (traditional ipod update and back to school timeframe) and the reason the iphone will only have a 4 inch screen. The 7.85 screen makes it a good choice for that middle ground between the 4 inch iphone and the ipad. But that is my guess and I am sticking to it. :-)

• Reply 87 of 158
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    shaun, uk wrote: »
    Are you Tim Cook or Jony Ive? No? [...] You don't any more than the rest of.
    You might wantt to cool it with such comments directed at a poster.
  • Reply 88 of 158
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Later, skater.

Probably bad form to quote someone's post and then as a Moderator to delete it. It breaks the forum software if a user clicks on the icon that points back to the original post.

• Reply 89 of 158

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In reference to using a UI for a 10" tablet on a display with half the way area. Note that Apple first made the iPhone and iPod Touch with a 3.5" display and no sandpaper is needed for that because the UI is designed for the display and input method.

I don't recall Jobs ever saying it would never happen but it certainly won't happen without making the primary I/O ideal for the user. And just because the 10" is an ideal size doesn't mean that you can't have other sizes that fill a somewhat less ideal market segment once you near saturating the ideal market segment. They did with the iPod in size/capabilities, and the Mac and iPhone with price points.

I agree with you for a change lol.

I don't remember getting any sandpaper in the box with my iPhone and that only has a 3.5" screen. How have we all managed to use it with our fingers for the past 5 years. Must be magic.

• Reply 90 of 158

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You might to cool it with such comments directed at a poster.

Edited post

• Reply 91 of 158
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    stone wrote: »
    Probably bad form to quote someone's post and then as a Moderator to delete it.

I never touched it; our spam filter caught it before it ever showed up because he's a dupe account. :lol:
    It breaks the forum software if a user clicks on the icon that points back to the original post.

Ah, that's a valid concern, though. I'll restore that one, then.
  • Reply 92 of 158
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pytho View Post

Didn't Jobs say you would need sandpaper? will these ship with sandpaper for your fingers or will that cost extra?Apple was very vocal about the current size of ipad being optimal and a smaller one wasn't going to happen. I think this is just another rumour that won't pan out.

Yup. He also asked an Apple engineer once what tablets were good for “besides surfing the web in the bathroom.”

• Reply 93 of 158
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

I never touched it; our spam filter caught it before it ever showed up because he's a dupe account.

Looks like I must have a duplicate account as well since you apparently think it is clever to always change my user name whenever you quote me. Too clever by half.

• Reply 94 of 158

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtmw1863 View Post

I really think that this will be a "iPod Deluxe" That is why it will be released in the fall (traditional ipod update and back to school timeframe) and the reason the iphone will only have a 4 inch screen. The 7.85 screen makes it a good choice for that middle ground between the 4 inch iphone and the ipad. But that is my guess and I am sticking to it. :-)

I've said this before but I don't think they will call it either the iPad Mini or the iPod Something. I think it will have a new name such as the iPlay to emphasise the fact that it's a new device.

Apple seems to be consolidating it's product lines at the moment, so I think they will scrap the iPod Classic and drop the "Touch" name so we end up with "the new iPod".

That just leaves the iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle as sub-brands. I think they may seek to merge those two brands into the iWatch. Yeah I know it doesn't begin with a P.

• Reply 95 of 158
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

1- How do you explain apps for my iPhone and iPod touch that I use and work just fine?

And how many iPad apps do you run on your iPhone and iPod touch?

• Reply 96 of 158

I'm getting a Nexus 7 and I'm an Apple hardware fan boi. Reason? Price, Size, Portability.

I dropped Apple's iCloud in favor of a mix of Dropbox and Google Drive. I use Gmail, Docs, Maps, YouTube, Finance, News, Calendar and dare I admit it - G+, so I guess I'll get a lot of use out of the 7" blighter at not much out-lay. £299 would kill it for me, so maybe this time I'll Think Different.

• Reply 97 of 158

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Odds are it would just be 1024x768 for obvious compatibility. PPI varies based on distance to face. 

No, PPI has absolutely (!!!) nothing to do with distance to face. The human eye's capability to distinguish details is relative to distance, PPI is not. PPI is short for pixel per inch; not inches from your eye; inches on the screen panel.

PPI is constant - no matter how far you hold your gadget from your eye.

• Reply 98 of 158
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

gen_tim-cook.jpg

• Reply 99 of 158
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

You have inferred all of this, not me. I just copied and pasted the quote because it's of interest to the discussion. My earlier comment speculated that Apple 'might' release a smaller device, but I think it would be more of a consumption device. The fact is nobody here, including your good self, knows what Apple will or won't release, but it's fun to speculate and hear what others think. Fun until people start getting irate at least.

Fair enough.

But I would point out that in posting the quote as you did without any other comment on your position on the quote, it is also fair to assume that you agreed with the quote. (Why would someone post a statement supporting a position they didn't agree with, without commenting on the statement itself?) It was your inferred/assumed agreement with the quote to which I was responding.

In any event, regardless of your personal stance on the quote itself, my comments are still valid in that many people like to point to that one quote as the end-all-and-be-all of the discussion on whether or not there is a viable market for a 7" tablet.

• Reply 100 of 158
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

Steve Jobs quote, October 2010:

If you take an iPad and hold it upright in portrait view and draw an imaginary horizontal line halfway down the screen, the screens on these 7-inch tablets are a bit smaller than the bottom half of the ipad’s display. This size isn’t sufficient to create great tablet apps in our opinion. While one could increase the resolution of the display to make up for some of the difference, it is meaningless unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of their present size.

Apple has done extensive user testing on touch interfaces over many years and we really understand this stuff. There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touchscreen before users cannot reliably tap, flick, or pinch them. This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps… The 7-inch tablets are tweeners. Too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with an iPad.

These are among the reasons we think the current crop of 7-inch tablets are going to be DOA. Dead On Arrival. Their manufacturers will learn the painful lesson that their tablets are too small and increase the size next year, thereby abandoning both customers and developers who jumped on the 7-inch bandwagon with an orphaned product.

Will people PLEASE stop quoting head-fake marketing statements from a person no longer with the company as if they're written on stone tablets (or iPads)?

Jeez.