Apple's 'iPad mini' rumored with 7.85" IGZO display for $250-$300

Comments

• Reply 101 of 158
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnielse View Post

No, PPI has absolutely (!!!) nothing to do with distance to face. The human eye's capability to distinguish details is relative to distance, PPI is not. PPI is short for pixel per inch; not inches from your eye; inches on the screen panel.

PPI is constant - no matter how far you hold your gadget from your eye.

I think the poster was simply implying that a lower pixel density can be considered Retina if the device is normally used at a greater distance from the viewer's eyes.

• Reply 102 of 158
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    resistance is futile !!!!
  • Reply 103 of 158
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mstone wrote: »
    Looks like I must have a duplicate account as well since you apparently think it is clever to always change my user name whenever you quote me. Too clever by half.

That's Mountain Lion autocorrect being a complete idiot. I've no qualm against you. :lol:

You share plenty of IPs, though. ;|
  • Reply 104 of 158

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's Mountain Lion autocorrect being a complete idiot. I've no qualm against you. image

You share plenty of IPs, though. ;|

So why does it not correct other misspelled user names, just mine?

I have a lot of IPs not user names.

• Reply 105 of 158
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member

@Wiggin

I'd mentioned the quote in my first post, then I looked it up out of interest afterwards, then thought I may as well copy and paste it as a comment. I think it's interesting that Jobs said that their research suggested that 'tablet apps' need a bigger screen. I think there may be a market for a smaller tablet, but (as I said in my post) at this point in time the sales figures suggest otherwise and if Apple do release such a product I think it will be for consumption and may not be given the iPad name. I do think your points are entirely valid, just didn't like the tone. The examples where Jobs has gone back on statements made in the past for example. Markets change and there was no Kindle Fire or Nexus 7 when Jobs made his comment. As I said, I assume Apple is watching this smaller tablet category closely. What do you think, if this rumour is true, do you think it would be an iPad mini, a big iPod Touch, an entirely new device perhaps an Apple TV remote or an iTunes Pad, or something different?

• Reply 106 of 158
    So why does it not correct other misspelled user names, just mine?

Oh, it does! I have 'correct automatically' turned on, and it will actually go back through and correct when I'm even in the sentence that the misspelled word was in, not even while I'm doing the typing.

Ah, there, did it again. With that on, it also prevents you from typing some words. It will automatically remove the extra letter faster than you can type it.

Still a beta, after all. Hopefully that gets fixed in the final, but at this stage I wouldn't count on any changes until 10.8.3<…
    I have a lot of IPs not user names.

I know; that was the… never mind.
  • Reply 107 of 158
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That is the last reason why Apple would be doing it. They don't care what the other boys do. If they don't like something (like say Blu-ray in a computer) for whatever reason, they won't do it no matter how many other folks do it and how well it sells for them. 

They will do it if they see a value in it and can do it well. Period. Steve's comment was likely based on actual testing that showed they couldn't do it well. Not as an iPad. As something else remains to be seen. Although some random foreign website repeating a rumor that has been put out there more than once and hasn't happened is hardly reason to get your heart set on something

before my wife stole my ipad 2 i used it mostly for reading books

i'd buy a kindle fire but a refurb ipad 1 is not that much more. for a lot of people reading is the #1 thing to do on a tablet. games and other tasks are way down.

a cheap 7" ipad has to come out because otherwise people will just buy cheap 7" android tablets that run the kindle app just as well as the ipad does

• Reply 108 of 158
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    I asked my wife and she said she would prefer a seven-inch device that would fit in her purse, but it would have to have a long lasting battery. When I asked her what apps she would run, she looked at me funny and said if it could take out the trash and mow the lawn it could replace me! Maybe she was talking about a different device...

Quintessence of feminine approach of things, thanks. I think we (men) will have to start worrying if there comes a time women prefer talk to Siri, rather than to us ...
  • Reply 109 of 158
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member

A smaller iPad will be able to stop the Androids from taking market share. Apple is now allowing the competition to hang on. But with the smaller iPad will mean an all out war against them.

• Reply 110 of 158
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

But wouldn't that make them appear to be FOLLOWING Android Manufacturers?

I mean, Apple is a company that LEADS, not FOLLOWS. 

That's also the reason I think the iphone will never get a bigger screen cause then that would just show that the android manufacturers were right, people DO want bigger screens on their phones. 

Apple....follow Samsung and make a 7 inch tablet.....NOT GONNA HAPPEN

They have already borrowed more than enough for apple fans to be comfortable with. multi-tasking, voice actions, notifications. Now we are hearing NFC too. Enough already. 

What's next, burst shot mode on the cameras?

This is really dumb.

Even Jobs said Apple takes other people's ideas and makes them better.

If they never went where others were before, they'd never have made any products since there were computers before Apple and phones before the iPhone.

What Apple does is take a product (whether it's new like the iPad or already out there like phones) and makes it great.  The 7" pads out there are complete crap. Apple can take a similar size (note the rumored one is 7.85 different than all others) and make an awesome product for a lot of people that want a mid sized Apple device.

• Reply 111 of 158
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Apple can

but Apple won't (at least I don't see them doing so).

• Reply 112 of 158

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, it does! I have 'correct automatically' turned on, and it will actually go back through and correct when I'm even in the sentence that the misspelled word was in, not even while I'm doing the typing.

Ah, there, did it again. With that on, it also prevents you from typing some words. It will automatically remove the extra letter faster than you can type it.

Still a beta, after all. Hopefully that gets fixed in the final, but at this stage I wouldn't count on any changes until 10.8.3<…

Great news. When can we go back to just having it underline a red jagged line and let the user type whatever they want? All they need to do is offer the potential substitute words when the user requests them.

The way it is going they will eventually provide automatic political correctness replacement if the tone of the message is not correct.

• Reply 113 of 158
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    takeo wrote: »
    And how many iPad apps do you run on your iPhone and iPod touch?

Lots of them. There are plenty of apps that work fine on both the iPad and the iPhone, so presumably something in between would work, as well.
    johnnielse wrote: »
    No, PPI has absolutely (!!!) nothing to do with distance to face. The human eye's capability to distinguish details is relative to distance, PPI is not. PPI is short for pixel per inch; not inches from your eye; inches on the screen panel.

PPI is constant - no matter how far you hold your gadget from your eye.

What he meant was that the cutoff for 'retina' depends on the distance.

sleepy3 wrote: »
    But wouldn't that make them appear to be FOLLOWING Android Manufacturers?

I mean, Apple is a company that LEADS, not FOLLOWS. 

That's also the reason I think the iphone will never get a bigger screen cause then that would just show that the android manufacturers were right, people DO want bigger screens on their phones. 

Apple....follow Samsung and make a 7 inch tablet.....NOT GONNA HAPPEN

They have already borrowed more than enough for apple fans to be comfortable with. multi-tasking, voice actions, notifications. Now we are hearing NFC too. Enough already. 

What's next, burst shot mode on the cameras?

There were already other phones on the market before the iPhone came out. Does that mean Apple simply followed?

There were other tablets on the market before Apple released the iPad. Does that mean Apple simply followed?

There were other ultralight notebooks on the market before Apple released the MBA. Does that mean Apple simply followed?

There were other MP3 players on the market before Apple released the iPod. Does that mean Apple simply followed?

Apple doesn't really care about being first in any given market or niche. They simply want to be the first GOOD product in that niche. And a 7-8" iPad would easily meet that requirement.
  • Reply 114 of 158
    The way it is going they will eventually provide automatic political correctness replacement if the tone of the message is not correct.

For years the grammar check has always underlined "king" whenever I type it. It suggests "ruler" instead.

Screw that. Kings are still around, and maybe I'm typing something about history!
  • Reply 115 of 158
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    I really don't know what to think about the 7". I wrote about it in [URL=http://applexpert.tumblr.com/post/26072993057/google-nexus-7-what-about-it]my new blog[/URL] when the Nexus 7 came out.

I look at the Kindle Fire and I think "hmm… this size is somehow comfortable" but then, after a couple of minutes it does begin to feel too small almost for anything. Sure, maybe I'm wrong. I think it could have a big segment waiting for something like that.

But, what it would be? An iPad? I really don't think that Apple would degrade the iPad name to that thing. An iPod? Hmmm… Maybe. But the new iPod Touch? Please no. I don't buy that. The Touch must gain 128GB and be renamed as The iPod. The Classic must go away. The Nano? It must evolve as the iWatch and say goodbye to the Shuffle. So, there you have the most solid catalog ever created for Apple: iWatch, iPod, [I]The iThing[/I], iPad, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Pro.

Now, back to the name… I don't have an idea...
  • Reply 116 of 158
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

A smaller iPad will be able to stop the Androids from taking market share. Apple is now allowing the competition to hang on. But with the smaller iPad will mean an all out war against them.

This is one of the reasons that, besides it likely being a flop functionally, I might be disappointed to see Apple release a 7" iPad. To date, unlike Microsoft and Google, Apple has not been a, "take over the world," kind of company. That doesn't mean that their products (like the iPod) don't sometimes end up doing that, but that they've never seemed to base their business decisions on that as a goal. Releasing a 7" tablet, if it were just intended to cut off the competition's air supply, not because they thought it was an incredible product, would signal a shift in focus that would not be a positive shift. SJ was right when he said that for Apple to win, Microsoft didn't have to lose, and Android doesn't have to lose for Apple to win either. (Although, that doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to die because it's stolen property.)

I hope Apple continues to make product decisions based on a product being the best product they can make, and never releases products just because they think doing so would allow them to take over the world.

• Reply 117 of 158
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    lvidal wrote: »
    I really don't know what to think about the 7". I wrote about it in my new blog when the Nexus 7 came out.
    I look at the Kindle Fire and I think "hmm… this size is somehow comfortable" but then, after a couple of minutes it does begin to feel too small almost for anything. Sure, maybe I'm wrong. I think it could have a big segment waiting for something like that..

It depends on what you're doing with it and who is using it.

I could see it being great for kids.

I could see it being great for watching movies on a plane where space is cramped.

And I could see it being a nice second tablet for the family.

That said, I doubt if I'd buy one, but I really expect that lots of people would. When you look at the tablet market, Apple has an overwhelming percentage of the 10" market. Hardly anyone else has had a successful product. OTOH, tons of 7" tablets are being sold (with most estimates being that 7" is around 20-30% of the total market). If Apple had the same percentage of the 7" market as the 10" market, it would increase their sales significantly - perhaps by 20% or more. Plus, it would greatly lessen the ability of competitors to get a foothold in the market.
  • Reply 118 of 158
    capoeira4ucapoeira4u Posts: 160member

I'll be the first in line to buy this thing.  I hate Droid's UI but I just love how small and light they are.

• Reply 119 of 158
    p lp l Posts: 64member

I vote for "iTouchPad" and will complement the 13" Air perfectlyimage

• Reply 120 of 158
    stephanjobsstephanjobs Posts: 284member
    markbriton wrote: »
    It seems sensible for Apple to prep a smaller iPad just in case the 7 inch tablets take off, but at the moment everything suggests that people aren't buying them (except perhaps as a cheap Christmas gift as in the case of the Fire).
    The sandpaper for fingers quote from Steve Jobs still rings in my ears when I hear talk of the iPad Mini though.

I remember that quote form jobs and although I love his ideas and thoughts, this is on thing that always confused me.

iPhone's and iPods have 3.5inch screens and they are able to be used properly without the "sandpaper" lol

The only thing I could think of that he was referring to was when using the full keyboard on the screen.

I could then see how a smaller screen will cramp the use of two hands on a full keyboard.

Idk mabe some one can shed light on this comment.

I don't think apple will make this happen until they see their iPad sales drop significantly from people buying smaller tablets.

Then again they are catering more towards the casual consumer and a lower priced model seems logical at some point, but I don't think that means they have to release a smaller screen.