Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: Reminders app adds geofence location alerts

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    Strange that the author set a reminder to get milk when leaving the store, rather than arriving.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Oh I love Growl, but with its virtual crippling by App Store restrictions, I suspect its days are numbered and we'll see most developers migrating from Growl notifications to the Notification Center. Shame because Growl has a lot more flexibility and configuration options.

There are a lot more options in Growl but I'm not missing it in ML. Notification Center is giving me enough info. The NC list is something that Growl should have had so you can see missed notifications.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    So where is the option to "View in Lock Screen", as in iOS?! This is key if you have a Mac sitting there locked with a screen saver...
  • Reply 24 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

So where is the option to "View in Lock Screen", as in iOS?! This is key if you have a Mac sitting there locked with a screen saver...

What conditions would one be sitting in front of their locked PC? I can't think of a single scenario where that makes sense.

edit: I see, you're trying to find something to complain about. Then go on with your bad [tempered] self.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Yea, I think Apple might want to take a more Outlook-style integrated approach...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

For me the distinction between calendar and reminders / toDos are pretty blurred. I am not really comfortable with having to check two apps multiple times per day.

• Reply 26 of 40
    I am watching TV and I get a SIP phone call on my Mac, or an iMessage or AIM chat.

I will ignore your nonsense comment, since you obviously resort to ad hominem attacks instead of the topic at-hand.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What conditions would one be sitting in front of their locked PC? I can't think of a single scenario where that makes sense.

edit: I see, you're trying to find something to complain about. Then go on with your bad [tempered] self.

• Reply 27 of 40
    hmm...maybe not?

Looking very much forward to 10.8. Since installing 10.7, my 2008 iMac is not what it used to be. Errors, software stalling, deadlock itunes updates... that's all what I fled Windows for!

Installed it a week after it came out officially and still think: I will revert to SL next week end!
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonobob View Post

Strange that the author set a reminder to get milk when leaving the store, rather than arriving.

He/she is obviously going to get the milk (at another location) once he/she is finished with his/her errand at the said location on the reminder. I haven't been to 2020 Market St. SF but the name of the street does not necessarily equal to activities being done there.

On another note, I find Reminder on iOS is too bare and too boring to work the way I wanted. I use Wunderlist and Weave. Actually, I don't use them much but I prefer them than Reminder. I find GTD appl too obstructive and I don't usually follow, well then I guess my comment here is no use to the conversation either.. I'm off to get my dinner. Hungry stomach makes stupid mind.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    f1ferrarif1ferrari Posts: 262member
    One thing I would like to see added to the Reminders app (both in iOS and the upcoming Mountain Lion version) would be the option to share. If I set a reminder that might both apply to my wife and I, be able to send it to her, and she put it in her iPhone/iPad's reminders.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Can this version of Reminders allow users to sort by title, due date, or priority? Apple calls Reminders on iOS devices "The best way to do to-dos" yet it does not even provide basic sorting options.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/built-in-apps/
  • Reply 31 of 40
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    "You are now entering a bad neighborhood. Lock your car doors."

"Fast Freddie's corner is just ahead. He has the best weed."

• Reply 32 of 40
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wcbaritone10 View Post

So the geo fencing is cool, however I don't see it being practical with OSX. If I remind myself to stop at the post office when I leave my house on the way to work, how will my Mac know I left the house as there will be no Wi-Fi? Would the fact that the reminders sync via iCloud in turn use the phone or iPad for the GPS on a reminder you set on your Mac? If so then it would be very useful.

Yeah, I was wondering this too. I can see it reminding you after you've arrived somewhere and opened up the laptop, but that's about it. How does it know where I am and how will it notify me when my laptop is closed, asleep and sitting in the back seat of my car? Reminders synched to my iPhone would be very useful though.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member
    Does anyone else other then me think the growing clone the Mac is becoming of iOS is not particularly a good thing? iOS people are taking over the company...

I'm not saying integration and common ideas are a bad thing between apple devices, just that some ideas that work great for touch are not particularly useful on a desktop OS.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wcbaritone10 View Post

So the geo fencing is cool, however I don't see it being practical with OSX. If I remind myself to stop at the post office when I leave my house on the way to work, how will my Mac know I left the house as there will be no Wi-Fi? Would the fact that the reminders sync via iCloud in turn use the phone or iPad for the GPS on a reminder you set on your Mac? If so then it would be very useful.

I think the answer is Yes.

I think that is the best point. If you want to set a reminder while you are working on your laptop at work, you do this, and whatever device you have in handy (i.e. your phone, or your iPad) will remind you about that then.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Does anyone else other then me think the growing clone the Mac is becoming of iOS is not particularly a good thing? iOS people are taking over the company...

I'm not saying integration and common ideas are a bad thing between apple devices, just that some ideas that work great for touch are not particularly useful on a desktop OS.

YEEEESSSS?!? I cant find any usefull uses for this really.... My mac will remind me with a chime in the laptop bag when I drive past the store?!? I'm thinking whats that? I take the laptop out of the bag in the car to see that I have to buy something or do something there?!?

Dudes... I have a phone for that!!!! Please use your programming hours for something more usefull in a real world scenarios!!!!

Faster bootups, new file system, throw the new mac calendar app down the trash, make the mac contact app useable again, file system for ios, make iOS apps useable in real world scenarios. Let's face it iOS can't compete EVER with mac os x if you can't copy files between apps in a usefull way. Please make finder for ios...at least for the pad...
  • Reply 36 of 40
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

So WHERE IS THE GEOLOCATION IN REMINDERS ON iPAD?!  Missing, even in the Cellular + GPS version!  WTF.  

• Reply 37 of 40
    mpoldampolda Posts: 2member
    I've had the opposite experience. I had to stop using location reminders because of significant battery drain on my iPhone 4. At first I thought the problem was iOS 5, but as soon as I turned off the location reminders battery life returned to what I was used to.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    mpoldampolda Posts: 2member
    These new features sound good and all, but what I really need are improved repeat options. Most other apps let you choose the first Sunday of each month, or every x number of days/weeks/months or the 17th of June, September, and October. How about the last Tuesday of June, July, and August repeating every year? Or three weeks after the last occurance is completed? Are any of these changes in the works?
  • Reply 39 of 40
    pws442pws442 Posts: 6member
    My problem with the Location feature is that on my MBP, and my iPhone 4S, I had an address typed in, with a couple digits of the zip code incorrect; when I tried to correct them (which I could), it still saved under the original, incorrect zip code. I had to delete the notification and start over. How can I 1) delete an incorrect remembered address; or 2) really, really make the change stick?

• Reply 40 of 40
    Check out Big Event Reminder at http://www.bigeventreminder.com Here's a FREE promo code you can REDEEM inside the Mac Store app (one-time-use) F43FL6T3NWJL