Apple's 'iPad mini' rumored with 7.85" IGZO display for $250-$300

Comments

• Reply 121 of 158
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

No. No, no, no. No iPad Mini. Not very Apple-esque. You better agree.

I don't agree. I want a lighter iPad. My iPad3 is heavier than I'd like it and this new size would be so much better for me. I'd accept a slightly smaller screen for the mobility.

• Reply 122 of 158
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    boxmaccary wrote: »

THERE WILL NOT BE NOW, NOR WILL THERE EVER BE, A FUCKING "iPadMini"!!!!
    THE NEXUS7 & KINDLE FIRE WILL SLUG IT OUT FOR THE PROVERBIAL "RACE TO THE BOTTOM".
    CAN WE FUCKING STOP TALKING ABOUT THAT?!?
    FOR ****'S SAKE ....

Calm down and grow a brain. The GPU and CPU in the Nexus 7 are dramatically quicker that the chips the iPad 3 has, and Jelly Bean is a generation ahead of iOS6, let alone iOS 5. If you weren't such a fanboy you might realise that google is actually ahead of Apple on several fronts now.
  • Reply 123 of 158
    enatureenature Posts: 77member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

Steve Jobs quote, October 2010:

it is meaningless unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of their present size....7-inch tablets are going to be DOA. Dead On Arrival. 

Right... that's why we make gazzilions selling the smartphone with the the smallest screen... and no user seems busy sandpapering her finger to 1/8th of her present size.

I do not know if SJ was believing what he was saying or trying to through the competition off the track, but it is clear as day that between 3.5" iPhone and 9.7" iPad there is humongous, glaring 6.2" GAP. And if Apple does not step up to fill it, someone else will. And will make loads of $$$ along the way... the only thing that will be sandpapered is Apple's profits.

• Reply 124 of 158
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="kotatsu" url="/t/151067/apples-ipad-mini-rumored-with-7-85-igzo-display-for-250-300/120#post_2139543"]The GPU and CPU in the Nexus 7 are dramatically quicker that the chips the iPad 3 has…[/QUOTE]

Unless they're not using a Tegra 3 anymore, that's not correct.

[QUOTE]…Jelly Bean is a generation ahead of iOS6, let alone iOS 5.[/QUOTE]

Uh… huh… Say, let me know when any phones actually start using it, 'kay?
  • Reply 125 of 158
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ko024 wrote: »
    Apple will sell a lot of these....  And I think people with current "regular" iPads will find room in their budget and life style for this kind of device....  I don't see any problem with this....

Gotta say this is a pretty sad commentary on society. I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing people need a 9.7" device and an 7.8" device, plus they probably own a mobile phone. Maybe there are people who would prefer a 7" device. But if they were so popular how come Amazon has never released sales figures for the Fire?
  • Reply 126 of 158
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    kotatsu wrote: »
    Calm down and grow a brain. The GPU and CPU in the Nexus 7 are dramatically quicker that the chips the iPad 3 has, and Jelly Bean is a generation ahead of iOS6, let alone iOS 5. If you weren't such a fanboy you might realise that google is actually ahead of Apple on several fronts now.
    pot meet kettle
  • Reply 127 of 158
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

I've read the Chinese page, it says the source is from Taiwanese supply chain, it is said to be thiner and lighter than the iPad 2 with increased battery life.

Smaller and thinner does not add up to increased battery life.

• Reply 128 of 158

Quote:

Originally Posted by pytho View Post

Didn't Jobs say you would need sandpaper? will these ship with sandpaper for your fingers or will that cost extra?

He meant that you can't just scale the OS up or down to a particular screen size, you have to go in an adjust the size of the onscreen elements to keep them useable.

• Reply 129 of 158

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Second, that lowers the perceived value of a 10" tablet - which would impact the new iPad, as well.

This is critical, I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not sure how IGZO fits in with this and this "scenario" could just as easily been invented from Apple or from something running the numbers as I did above to find a "solution" that works but it should at least be vetted as the numbers do work. The question is really about Apple really wanting to continue to use the 163 PPI panels for several more years, if they want to weaken their iPad brand with a smaller iPad, and if they are ready to add another display size and resolution into Xcode and the App Store for devs and users to deal with. On top of that numbers should be run to see if a crapper version of this smaller iPad would hurt the larger, more profitable model in sales and in the ecosystem, or if it's the less of two evils to keep the cheap 7" tablets from gaining any marketshare even though that hasn't effected their PC business.

Yeah, it's all about the numbers. That last one in particular is what I've thought has kept Apple out of the smaller screen size so far. With tablet web traffic dominated by the iPad (95%), sales numbers (not shipping) also still above 80% I wonder if the numbers are there yet to justify entering the 7-8" space and undercutting their own product? But Apple has shown that they're not afraid to do that when the time is right. With more products aiming to get a foothold there now, the second half of this year might be as good a time as any...

• Reply 130 of 158

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

One of the dumbest quotes Jobs ever made. But I'd like to point out two things.

1- How do you explain apps for my iPhone and iPod touch that I use and work just fine?

2- Contrary to popular opinion, Steve Jobs is dead. So if the new regime wants it, they can do it over Steves dead body- literally.

1- Do you not understand that the onscreen elements have to be sized appropriately for use on each size screen?

2- what the hell? Jerk, much?

• Reply 131 of 158

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvvv View Post

This will work. Most of the people I know that own a iPad use it mostly for media consumption (browsing, books, videos, games), not productivity. If there's an iPad with a significantly lower price and a 7.85 inch screen, this thing will sell like hotcakes. The advantage Apple has over the Nexus 7 is its selling network. It has Stores all over the world and sells its products in a wide variety of shops. This alone will allow the 7.85 inch iPad to sell like crazy, while the Nexus 7 will only be available in the upcoming months in the US, UK and Canada.

And I wonder if they'll drop the price of their iPod Touch. A 16GB version could become the base-model at 199$.

I don't think there's any space in the market for the old iPod Touch. My guess is that the 7" device will be a replacement for the iPod Touch in Apple's lineup. But really only Apple knows how the iPod TOuch is selling currently against the Fire and other sub-sized tablets.My second guess is that the 7" tablet would be primarily a gaming machine that can be used as a reader or some kind of social device.

Imagine that Apple releases this in Sept - Oct after school starts up. The kids can be talking to each other via the new device and it becomes a "must have" device. Some schools ban the devices from the classroom making them what EVERY kid HAS TO HAVE.

• Reply 132 of 158

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The speed of the components are no measure of speed of the device. Remember, iOS has been written to require a lighter performing CPU/GPU in order to preserve good battery performance. If you've grown a brain, you'd know this.

I cannot speak to how well an unreleased Android OS performs; even one that doesn't have to push around as many pixels as does iOS on an iPad.

• Reply 133 of 158

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

and Jelly Bean is a generation ahead of iOS6, let alone iOS 5. If you weren't such a fanboy you might realise that google is actually ahead of Apple on several fronts now.

So far in front of iOS that they're only addressing the "non-issue" of lag now? It's only taken them 5 years or so to look at something iOS got right from the get-go. (edit: and they didn't require 1gb of ram for it either)

• Reply 134 of 158
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

I doubt Apple can make a solid 7" tab and get the margins they want at $250.  And I can't see Apple making and selling an 8" tab for less than $299.  And at $299, it won't draw many customers who are price sensitive (it's a huge jump from $199) and it could well cannibalize a lot of Apple's own sales, particularly of the iPad 2.  That's the challenge that Apple faces.  The only way this works is if Apple stops selling the iPad 2 and offers an 8" ipad at $300 and $400.  And I just can't see them doing that.  The risks to their iPad profits is tremendous.

Also...between the two sizes, I don't see the point of 8".  The 7" has a certain appeal.  Women can fit them in purses.  Men can fit them in suit jacket inner compartments.  Also, according to Matias Duarte, in his Verge interview, the Nexus 7 has larger top and bottom bezels to give it better ergonomics for gaming.  He says the Nexus 7 is the same size as a Sega Game Gear.  So there is definite rationale behind a 7 inch device.  But an 8" device?  Lower portability.  Inherently demands a higher price which ruins the "lower price" appeal and risks cannibalizing the 10" iPad market.  I don't see the point.

I think it's worth watching the interview, especially at the end where Duarte does talk about the design and why they made the design choices that they did:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3126644/matias-duarte-on-android-4-1-jelly-bean-and-the-nexus-7

• Reply 135 of 158

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

But wouldn't that make them appear to be FOLLOWING Android Manufacturers?

I mean, Apple is a company that LEADS, not FOLLOWS. 

Fanboys care about this stuff.  Executives who run billion dollar corporations with profit motives do not.  They put out whatever the market demands or they risk failure.

• Reply 136 of 158
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jetz wrote: »
    Fanboys care about this stuff.  Executives who run billion dollar corporations with profit motives do not.  They put out whatever the market demands or they risk failure.

lol, no.

Apple does whatever it feels is right, and over the past 36 years the established market has said that was wrong only a handful of times.
  • Reply 137 of 158

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

lol, no.

Apple does whatever it feels is right, and over the past 36 years the established market has said that was wrong only a handful of times.

I'd argue that Apple does whatever maximizes their profits, not "whatever it feels is right".  Usually, it's really good at figuring out what's good for the user and making money in the process.  But that's not always true, either.

• Reply 138 of 158

If I were an Apple executive, I'd be more worried about the iPod Touch than the iPad.  The Nexus 7 is the same price as the iPod Touch.  Offers a markedly better experience.  Is not dramatically less portable.  And it may actually be better sized for gaming.  The only thing it lacks is the content...which may well come if the Nexus 7 sells decently.

Maybe Apple should stop combining the iPod Touch line with iPhone line and launch a 5" iPod Touch.  That would be amazing for handheld gaming.

• Reply 139 of 158
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

It seems sensible for Apple to prep a smaller iPad just in case the 7 inch tablets take off, but at the moment everything suggests that people aren't buying them (except perhaps as a cheap Christmas gift as in the case of the Fire).

Sorry but you're out of touch with the market.

I and others wanted a smaller iPad for just book reading.  I got tired of reading books on my iPhone4.  Wife has an iPad2 for that and more.

So early this year I got a Black Berry PlayBook.  Nice screen, but not so nice for software. Some SW aspects are better than the iPad, but many are not so good.

Looking forward to Apple's iPad Mini !   Oh I also have a few friends waiting for it.

• Reply 140 of 158
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I doubt Apple can make a solid 7" tab and get the margins they want at $250.  And I can't see Apple making and selling an 8" tab for less than $299.  And at $299, it won't draw many customers who are price sensitive (it's a huge jump from $199) and it could well cannibalize a lot of Apple's own sales, particularly of the iPad 2.  That's the challenge that Apple faces.  The only way this works is if Apple stops selling the iPad 2 and offers an 8" ipad at $300 and $400.  And I just can't see them doing that.  The risks to their iPad profits is tremendous.

Also...between the two sizes, I don't see the point of 8".  The 7" has a certain appeal.  Women can fit them in purses.  Men can fit them in suit jacket inner compartments.

I think it's worth watching the interview, especially at the end where Duarte does talk about the design and why they made the design choices that they did:

I feel $299 would be a very good price point, for a better product than those $199 tablets.  Likely the iPad2 would be fropped.

As for 7" vs 8", my BB PB has very wide borders. With less border, an iPad mini could be the same overall size.