Bill Gates: There is 'a strong possibility' Apple needs a Surface-like device

Comments

• Reply 81 of 300
    If the full experience is so great then why even make Windows RT tablets???
  • Reply 82 of 300
    geoadmgeoadm Posts: 81member

I know one market that is hoping with desperation that the surface will take off and sell well... antivirus companies. Their scare tactics of iOS security aren't going down too well and their monthly income must have sky dived during the move to mobile.

• Reply 83 of 300
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    Bill is off his meds.
  • Reply 84 of 300
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Here we go again.

I think Bill Gates' comments were entirely expected, and his advocacy of Surface isn't somehow an unbiased opinion (remember, Gates won't allow members of his family to buy Apple products like an iPod, no matter how much better the iPod is over a Zune).

And I would expect competitors to frame the debate according to their perceived strengths. Microsoft says you can run full Windows on a tablet that looks suspiciously like a laptop that needs a kickstand. Motorola claimed you Xoom would deliver Adobe Flash. RIM proclaimed amateur hour over. HP flew the TouchPad straight into the ground.

I have no doubt some people will not be happy with a tablet unless it requires antivirus scanners, fixing registry errors, and weekly reboots to satiate Windows Update, and weird DLL conflicts, and stupid, inane user experience like this actual message that I got trying to uninstall a service pack: "The removal of Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1 may put this computer in an state in which projects cannot be loaded and Service Pack 1 cannot be reinstalled." Seriously, WTF? And if you install things in the wrong order, it can create strange problems. Uninstalling things in the wrong order can actually cause later uninstalls to fail (oh yes, I've seen it on my work PC). I'm not making this shit up; this is normal for Windows. I mean, no wonder there's keyboard in the cover: how else are you going to get this "tablet" to boot into safe mode when you can't press F8?

If this is the experience you want from a tablet, Microsoft has you covered.

• Reply 85 of 300
    Um, it just me, or is the forum editor running every line together into one continuous paragraph? It was working earlier...
  • Reply 86 of 300
    mariomario Posts: 348member

Apple already has surface competitor. It's called Macbook Air :D.

• Reply 87 of 300
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Um, it just me, or is the forum editor running every line together into one continuous paragraph? It was working earlier...

I don't know anything about the forum editor, but I do know that your previous post is definitely continuous, as in one continuous paragraph.

• Reply 88 of 300
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

A third party keyboard mfg could easily design on of these keyboards to magnetically attach and replace the existing cover, but the problem is the angle that Microsoft is using isn't what I would use, it is too vertical.  Now, Apple does have, or at least did have that keyboard stand product, but it wasn't a "cover" per see.  There are various third party keyboard/covers on the market and they sell to those that want a tablet/keyboard device and I see people using those every once in a while.  but again, it can be done and IS being done, Apple just is letting the third party people do it untll Apple feels they actually really need to, but I don't think they do.

• Reply 89 of 300
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

"There's a strong possibility Microsoft needs an iPad like device. And a strong probability that after we come up with one, we'll start talking about how Apple is following our lead."

-B. Gates

There. Fixed that for you, Mr G.

• Reply 90 of 300

Apples response to the Surface is already on the market - it is called the Mac Book Air!

And has Bill twigged to the fact that keyboard attachments for the iPad have also been around for years? So who needs to catch up with who?

• Reply 91 of 300

--Deleted--

• Reply 92 of 300
    dan uffdan uff Posts: 11member

Hmmm...  Let's see...

1 iPad + 1 Bluetooth Keyboard = Apple's version of Microsoft Surface.

Check, check, and check.

• Reply 93 of 300
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member

Drat. I was hoping the article would be about Apple's need for the original Surface, now called PixelSense. A table or wall sized multi-touch device from Apple would rock.

- Jasen.

• Reply 94 of 300
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

"You don't have to make a compromise," Gates said. "You can have everything you like about a tablet and everything you like about a PC all in one device. And so that should change the way people look at things."

Clearly Microsoft is not so confident about this and this is why they have ARM Surface and Windows RT. Price is an advantage of an ARM tablet but this is clearly not the main reason behind the ARM Surface since Windows RT is not actually Windows.

• Reply 95 of 300

You are the moron. He is not the richest man in the world for being a moron. 

• Reply 96 of 300

but it does not have a mouse. 

• Reply 97 of 300

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't know anything about the forum editor, but I do know that your previous post is definitely continuous, as in one continuous paragraph.

Thanks. Figured it out.

• Reply 98 of 300
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"You don't have to make a compromise," Gates said. "You can have everything you like about a tablet and everything you like about a PC all in one device. And so that should change the way people look at things."

Which by its very nature, involves compromise. You can't treat each device as the same thing, otherwise you'l have consumers trying to use one form factor in the same way as another, which will be a BIG problem.

MS has been trying to treat tablet form-factors in the same manner as traditional "computer" form factors since Gates first introduced his clunky, unwieldy idea of a "tablet." Which was a total failure. Microsoft's latest attempt is no different.

• Reply 99 of 300
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Thanks. Figured it out.

Yes, I saw your previous post again, and it's actually readable now. :)

• Reply 100 of 300
    h4z3h4z3 Posts: 2member

Mr. Gates is the biggest troll in tech industry, remember the interview of D5 in 2007, when he obviously knew that Apple was working in a tablet in the shadows, how he came with the Surface v1, as if he was saying, "hey, we came with this first, lets get this recorded, they are not doing anything new", then we all know how Apple came with the ipad and they came with nothing.

It's the same thing all over again, he knows that Apple is now in the proccess of mixing iOS and OSX, and making universal apps for all Apple devices, thats why hes coming with this vaporware and stuff, thats how MS roll. They just want to shift attention to ... wait for it ... Nothing.

Also it's a good way to stop people talking about the Nexus 7.