Apple has more retail stores in Pennsylvania than China

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A new profile on Apple's retail presence in China argues that the company has far too few brick-and-mortar locations to meet rabid demand for products among the nation's 1.3 billion people.

With just six stores in Greater China, Apple has one retail location per 216 million Chinese people, Reuters highlighted on Wednesday. In comparison, the state of Pennsylvania has a total of eight stores for a population of 12.7 million people.

Former Apple retail chief Ron Johnson said in early 2010 that Apple had plans to open a total of 25 retail stores in China. The company declined to explain why it failed to meet that original target, but Wednesday's report noted that growth could be held back by red tape involving new stores.

Demand for Apple products in China is only expected to increase as the company this week reached a settlement to use the iPad brand in China. That's expected to clear the way for the company's new third-generation iPad to go on sale in mainland China.

In cities where Apple has not yet expanded its retail presence, there are even some high-profile knock-off stores designed to look just like Apple's own retail operations. At one such store in Kunming, China, the location features a winding staircase and employees wearing blue t-shirts with Apple logos and name tags.

AT&T Hotspot Login
Apple Store Sanlitun in Beijing, China | Copyright: 变脸.

The company's first Chinese store opened in Beijing in 2008, just prior to the Olympic games. The company's second store also arrived in Beijing in June of 2009.

Market analysts such as Chris Whitmore of Deutsche Bank see Apple having "enormous" potential in China. In April, he predicted that Apple will sell at least 35 million iPhones in China in 2013.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    bluedjinnbluedjinn Posts: 56member

Of course, I suppose it could also be argued that they have too many stores in Pennsylvania... (kidding)

• Reply 2 of 19
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Posts: 555member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDjinn View Post

Of course, I suppose it could also be argued that they have too many stores in Pennsylvania... (kidding)

Considering I live in Pennsylvania, and the closest one is about 2 hours away from me, I'd argue Apple needs a few more. At least another store-within-a-store that's closer to Altoona. Best Buy in Altoona isn't authorized to sell Macs, meaning I have to travel to Best Buy in State College (PSU-main, 40 minutes away) if I want to buy a Mac or Mac accessories locally. 

• Reply 3 of 19
    napybluenapyblue Posts: 14member

If Reuters wanted to know what was up with Apple Retail in China, they should have read the article from M.I.C. Gadget at this link-

http://micgadget.com/24345/upcoming-china-apple-stores-hong-kong-shenzhen-chengdu-guangzhou-dalian/

It is an interesting world we live in when a large (and apparently uninformed) news organization like Reuters doesn't have the resources to compete with a Chinese blog!

• Reply 4 of 19
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member

When it comes to growth, Apple isn't as aggressive as some companies would be.  Apple deliberates and takes its time.  A company needs to have balanced growth and I think Apple is succeeding at that.  There's no point in putting more stores in China if production can't meet demand as it is.

• Reply 5 of 19

aschina-080718-1.jpg

Very nice architecture here.  I like the "revealed" girders on the upper right, and how they echo the revealed portion of the grey mass through the clear glass.  The grey mass also forms a bridge to the older building on the left, with the shape of the bridge echoing the square shape of the connected older building. The new window mullions also echo the ones in the glass portion of the new building.

It is simple, playful and effective.

• Reply 6 of 19
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

aschina-080718-1.jpg

Very nice architecture here.  I like the "revealed" girders on the upper right, and how they echo the revealed portion of the grey mass through the clear glass.  The grey mass also forms a bridge to the older building on the left, with the shape of the bridge echoing the square shape of the connected older building. The new window mullions also echo the ones in the glass portion of the new building.

It is simple, playful and effective.

Why aren't the corners rounded? ;)

• Reply 7 of 19

You can technically add another one as one of the first Apple Store withing a store on Walmart opened last month (Pics). I live in PA and I have 1 official Apple store 6 miles away 2 inside Bestbuy and one inside walmart all 3 withing 8 miles. 7 More official Apple store withing 50 miles. Its good around here.

• Reply 8 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

When it comes to growth, Apple isn't as aggressive as some companies would be.  Apple deliberates and takes its time.  A company needs to have balanced growth and I think Apple is succeeding at that.  There's no point in putting more stores in China if production can't meet demand as it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NapyBlue View Post

If Reuters wanted to know what was up with Apple Retail in China, they should have read the article from M.I.C. Gadget at this link-

http://micgadget.com/24345/upcoming-china-apple-stores-hong-kong-shenzhen-chengdu-guangzhou-dalian/

It is an interesting world we live in when a large (and apparently uninformed) news organization like Reuters doesn't have the resources to compete with a Chinese blog!

The upshot remains - Apple seems quite shy of its own goal of 25 stores in China by end of 2012. Has the plan changed because that was Ron Johnson's goal and Cook didn't/doesn't agree? Or is it a supply issue as indicated by Odo? Or is it the challenging logistics of operating in China and of retail expansion in general?

• Reply 9 of 19
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NapyBlue View Post

Thank you for sharing the link... Very interesting.  It looks like there will be some significant store openings in China by Q1 2013 

• Reply 10 of 19

Wait, are they just counting the real Apple Stores in China? Or are the including all the fake ones?

• Reply 11 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Wait, are they just counting the real Apple Stores in China? Or are the including all the fake ones?

Ah, good point. So Mr. Johnson was talking about 25 real and fake Apple stores. Is the total ? 25 even with the fake ones?  Or was he counting JC Penney stores too?

• Reply 12 of 19

Sam,

Your headline reads "Apple has more retail stores in Pennsylvania than China".

You probably meant "Apple has more retail stores in Pennsylvania than in China".

"...Pennsylvania than China" suggests that Apple has more stores in Pennyslvania than China has stores in Pennsylvania.

Best regards,

Mike Herrinton

• Reply 13 of 19
    ljbyrneljbyrne Posts: 16member

Hmmm. Pennsylvania has about 2 million residents per store. How about using a state with fewer residents per store. New Jersey's population about 8.8 million people and 11 stores, for about 800k residents per store. NJ also has more stores than China. 

• Reply 14 of 19
    bdoggbdogg Posts: 8member
    And more than in Ireland where we have NONE!
  • Reply 15 of 19

Do you think that there will ever be as many Microsoft Stores as there are apple Stores?

• Reply 16 of 19

You would think the capital of the state would get some love. Living between Hershey, PA and Harrisburg, PA (The Capital) the closest is the park city mall for me. Only a good 40 minute ride to get a case replacement. 

• Reply 17 of 19
    and in the United Arab Emirates, one of the richest countries in the world, we have a grand total of none.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    well... i was told that one of the stores in Shanghai has the 2nd best sales numbers next to NYS..
  • Reply 19 of 19
    jinnanjinnan Posts: 3member

Wearing ray ban sale uk sunglasses has become the hot fashion in the modern pattern. Ray Ban Zonnebrillen is the main company of sunglasses. Aviator is a fashionable, new style wide range of the cheap ray prohibits Eyewear. The newest style of Ray Ban Aviator comes in different shade contacts with lower cost. Ray-Ban Eyewear was found by Bausch & Lomb in 1937. Authentic Ray Ban Aviator was designed originally to secure the face from the sun light. They are made of black, indicative contacts having two or three times the areas of the eye plug and steel supports with cable wats which connect behind the hearing.

Ray Ban Aviator sunglasses were first presented for the Combined Declares Air power. Bausch & Lomb marketed the product to the German Luxottica Team in 1999. These style sunglasses are labeled in the name of Ray-Ban, after that they are called as Ray-Ban Aviator sunglasses. Aviator Ray Ban Wayfarer comes in new and hot fashionable designs. You can purchase sunglasses for best cost. Discount Ray Ban Aviator has special lower cost for this Xmas period and many new designs have came. You can improve your style with these Ray Ban eyeglasses.