Want to Buy: huge monitor

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

I'm looking around, but I can't find anything quite adequate.  What I want is a massive display, preferably at least 40" diagonal, with high resolution.  Sure, I could just get a couple of 27" displays, but I'd prefer a single, massive display.

If any of you out there know of such a device, I'd love to know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    A TV, then.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member

Not high enough resolution -- 4x HD would be great, but I'll settle for less.  Thanks, though.  I have a Samsung 40" LED TV.  It's pretty great, but I want something more suited to the 50cm working distance typical of computer work.

I'm starting to consider different possibilities, now that I still can't find anything quite ideal.  Alternatively, a vertical 2-display stand might work, loaded with 27" displays.  I'd like to see one in action, though, or hear some testimonials about the ergonomics.  

• Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    If it was affordable, the following would probably be ideal:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/6/2687948/toshiba-55-inch-qfhd-4k-glasses-free-3dtv-united-states

The multi-display setup is probably the best option but the bezel on most displays will be annoying:

[VIDEO]

OS X seems to tear graphics horizontally in 90 degree rotation mode too so rotated displays won't be very good for working with. 4x 24-27" 1080p IPS displays with thin bezels in a grid would work but it's an ugly setup:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 4 of 4
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member

Hey Marvin: thanks for the advice.  I don't really like breaks in the display, as caused by multi-monitor rigs, which is why the optimal solution is just a single, huge monitor.  One of my friends has an 8 x 20" rig, and I don't really find that it improves ergonomics.  I'm thinking about maybe having an upper display used for storing ancillary apps & windows, and a lower display for main working, both 27" displays with thin bezels, if possible.  Maybe I can even un-package them to reduce bezel width.

Re the Toshiba display.... Let's just say it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities.