Apple telling suppliers to prep for mass production of smaller iPad - WSJ

Comments

• Reply 41 of 160
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Me thinks this is a controlled media "leak" from Apple themselves intended to tell potential buyers to delay their smaller tablet purchases until they see Apple's product. Apple may want the details kept under wraps for a bit longer, but absolutely want to minimize the Nexus7 tablet introduction from this week. "Wait, we have one coming too" is the message they want spread IMO.

You may be right. Hell, there may not be a forthcoming smaller iPad at all and they simply generated this rumor specifically to hinder the Nexus 7 launch.
  • Reply 42 of 160

It's simple....it fits nicely in a ladies bag. This will be a smashing hit with the ladies. 

• Reply 43 of 160
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    Hmmm. Seems like a larger iPod touch would be more appropriate... But that's just me.
    Any comments on why 7.9 has 'better attributes' over the present 9 inch...just doesn't seem significant benefits????
    Seems to me a 5-6 inch version would be a sweet spot... But that just me again.

Obviously when it comes to physical size there are various classes of users that could benefit from devices of differing dimensions. Yes I can see a larger iPad being very successful but also see a smaller one doing well. I suspect a smaller device would come in extremely handy in business. In this regards a sub 7" device would be very desirable.
  • Reply 44 of 160

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

This plus "Virtual Bezel Mode" for those who sometimes prefer one would kick ass.

"Virtual bezel mode". That's actually a brilliant idea and would enable edge to edge screens to be more functional.

• Reply 45 of 160
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Everyone keeps saying that. It's not true. Or at least not true enough for anyone to post any evidence of it being true.

Netbooks were pumped out by everyone and his brother back in aught seven. You can still see them today. But if you look at the numbers, there is no market for netbooks. You'd have to be an idiot or have more money than sense to make one now.

What are the numbers for tablet sizes? Apple has, what, 60% of the shipped tablet market, right? What of the rest is comparable to a 7-8" screen? Do we even know?

And that's just shipped. Apple also apparently has about 90% of the market that is actually being used. That tells me straight away what size people actually want.

Bumbling morons like the Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, and DigiTimes can report whatever they think they heard from whomever they think they heard it until the cows come home, but at this stage Apple will release an iPad mini in the quarter after they release an iPhone nano.

You know, the one that everyone and his brother said was assured. Because a 3.5" screen is too big on a phone!

I think you are using false logic. You can't say that there isn't a demand for a product that doesn't exist. Hell, if that's the case then Apple would have listened to guys like Ballmer and just scrapped the iPhone.

Think of it this way... maybe the majority of people who are buying the iPad are buying it because it is an Apple product. What if a lot of those people actually wanted a smaller tablet but wouldn't buy anything other than an Apple tablet. At this juncture they have only one choice.

I'm one of those people. If Apple offered a smaller tablet priced at $300 or even $350... I'd buy it. I find the iPad just a tad too big to carry around with me and something a bit smaller would fit the bill.

... but I aint buying an Android tablet!!

• Reply 46 of 160
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I agree with the idea of boosting the iPod business without soiling the iPad brand name with a cheap tablet. I've certainly made plenty of comments toward that end since that rumour first appeared. I will be shocked if they call it an iPad and it's $199 device that is inline with other profit-less tablets.
    If they are going to announce such a device at an event where they update the iPod would seem like the best fit. That means this Autumn. Note that they didn't update the iPod Touch last year.
    PS: I'd think a cheaper Mac would be more beneficial to Apple's bottom line at this point. I can see them making an $800 PC that actually has a healthy profit margin.
    I'd be more inclined to believe this rumor if every story didn't mention the Fire or Nexus or Apple needing a cheaper tablet because product X is going to be an iPad killer.. That suggests to me creating a rumor to fit a preconceived notion.
  • Reply 47 of 160
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="island hermit" url="/t/151086/apple-telling-suppliers-to-prep-for-mass-production-of-smaller-ipad-wsj/40#post_2140137"]What if a lot of those people actually wanted a smaller tablet but wouldn't buy anything other than an Apple tablet. At this juncture they have only one choice.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe that. I don't think the majority is that dumb, because that's not how they operate in everything else! I mean no offense to you, of course, but I also don't understand why you'd buy something that doesn't fit your needs (or at least wouldn't switch to something already available that does).

90% of people are ones who'd never come on here, don't care about technology except when it doesn't work, and don't know anything about these patent battles, rumors, and other intricacies of our world. They're the ones buying iPads and tablets in droves, and they're the ones who are setting the market standards. They'd get rid of something if it didn't work for them, and they're far and away getting rid of Android tablets, not the iPad. That's how I see it, anyway.
  • Reply 48 of 160
    I think you are using false logic. You can't say that there isn't a demand for a product that doesn't exist. Hell, if that's the case then Apple would have listened to guys like Ballmer and just scrapped the iPhone.

Think of it this way... maybe the majority of people who are buying the iPad are buying it because it is an Apple product. What if a lot of those people actually wanted a smaller tablet but wouldn't buy anything other than an Apple tablet. At this juncture they have only one choice.

I'm one of those people. If Apple offered a smaller tablet priced at $300 or even $350... I'd buy it. I find the iPad just a tad too big to carry around with me and something a bit smaller would fit the bill.

... but I aint buying an Android tablet!!
    Then I think you'll be buying a bigger iPod touch this fall. :-)
  • Reply 49 of 160
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member

In a world where capitalistic consumption is the engine that makes things run one thing is clear. An excessive amount of choice is required to fuel this engine. Just like the 27 kinds of ketchup you can find in the grocery store, it "of course" make sense to have tablets come an excessive number of choices. Bigger, better, faster is the mantra. In this case it is smaller.

• Reply 50 of 160

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Me thinks this is a controlled media "leak" from Apple themselves intended to tell potential buyers to delay their smaller tablet purchases until they see Apple's product. Apple may want the details kept under wraps for a bit longer, but absolutely want to minimize the Nexus7 tablet introduction from this week. "Wait, we have one coming too" is the message they want spread IMO.

A page right out of Microsoft's handbook.

The difference being, of course, 1. that it wasn't Apple who stated this news directly and 2. if Apple did present this news then you know it is already being manufactured

• Reply 51 of 160

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Then I think you'll be buying a bigger iPod touch this fall. :-)

If it uses iPhone apps instead of iPad apps then I think that's a dumb move... and Apple doesn't usually make dumb moves.

• Reply 52 of 160
    wshuff4wshuff4 Posts: 47member
    I don't understand where that video with the bezel-less tablets came from, but I know I want that. Especially that football game.
  • Reply 53 of 160

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

What if a lot of those people actually wanted a smaller tablet but wouldn't buy anything other than an Apple tablet. At this juncture they have only one choice.

I can't believe that. I don't think the majority is that dumb, because that's not how they operate in everything else! I mean no offense to you, of course, but I also don't understand why you'd buy something that doesn't fit your needs (or at least wouldn't switch to something already available that does).

90% of people are ones who'd never come on here, don't care about technology except when it doesn't work, and don't know anything about these patent battles, rumors, and other intricacies of our world. They're the ones buying iPads and tablets in droves, and they're the ones who are setting the market standards. They'd get rid of something if it didn't work for them, and they're far and away getting rid of Android tablets, not the iPad. That's how I see it, anyway.

... and I constantly hear people who know nothing about tech saying that they are buying an iPhone or an iPad because they know it just works (or something to that affect).

I don't think you give enough credit to Apple's brand power and marketing prowess.

• Reply 54 of 160
    or "won't".

Well, with Android that's compelling enough an argument to be valid in its own right, I suppose. :lol:
  • Reply 55 of 160

Quote:

Well, with Android that's compelling enough an argument to be valid in its own right, I suppose. image

you edited as I was commenting. So I changed my reply to fit the edit. The "won't" statement was in reply to your reply, "I can't believe that.".

• Reply 56 of 160
    All the stories I'm seeing say Apple will be releasing a smaller iPad to compete with the Kindle Fire and Nexus. Since when had Apple ever released a product to compete specifically with another product? IPod and iPhone came about because Apple felt the existing products on the market were crap and difficult to use. The Nexus was just released. We have no idea at this point how well it will sell. All the wall street 'gurus' predicted the Kindle Fire would be an iPad killer. Obviously that didn't happen. And amazon doesn't even provide sales figures for it. So why would Apple need to compete with two products that really aren't any competition? It's not like Android tablets have been flying off the shelves...
  • Reply 57 of 160
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Talk about missing the boat here!!
    dm3 wrote: »
    I still don't see it.
    As blind as a bat are we?

Apple never competes on price. Look at Netbooks. Macbook Air is hardly a cheap netbook, yet between the Air and iPad, Apple has killed the netbook market.
    The AIR is not a netbook! In fact it isn't even close to the concept of a netbook, I'm not sure how you ever managed to confuse the two concepts. As it is AIR is very very cost competitive as no one else can get even close to it cost wise with a similar machine.

Many "analysts" had all sorts of rumors than an iPhone mini was coming out. All sorts of talk that they needed to have a lower price model to compete. Instead Apple has kept selling older models and dropped the price.
    Apple would do well to support at least two sizes of iPhones. People like choice and have differing needs. Rumors though are just that rumors, but the idea of Apple having two different sized iPhones is a good one.
    The iPad2 currently sells for $399. Its miles better than the Fire or Nexus. Why would Apple bother with a smaller device?
    Because it is a smaller device. The fact that Fire and Nexus are crap has nothing to do with their size. The reality is this, iPad is awfully big to carry around all day, they could move a huge number of sub 7" inch devices into business. In effect replacing Day Timers and other small note books you often see in use.
    Apple hates having lots of different products. Even worse is having lots of different development platforms. Today there are only two iOS display resolutions, the iPad & iPhone/iPod-touch and their pixel doubled counterparts which can be automatically pixel doubled by iOS w no change to the app. Adding a 7" model who's sole purpose is to be cheap,
    That is just ignorant, where does the idea come from that such a devices sole purpose is to be cheap? A seven inch model would be extremely attractive to many users.
    while adding another product to the lineup and another screen resolution to worry about is not a good move for Apple.
    Baloney. Apple could and probably should add a smaller and a larger model to the line up. It is no different than having multiple sized laptops to serve the needs of all the differing users out there.
    What apple tends to do is take an existing older product and lower its price. 
    Yeah that isn't a bad idea at all and allows them to keep production lines in operation much longer than the competition. However you completely miss the point here, that does not make for a differently sized device.
  • Reply 58 of 160
    you edited as I was commenting. So I changed my reply to fit the edit. The "won't" statement was in reply to your reply, "I can't believe that.".

Ah, I see. Then that's very sad.
  • Reply 59 of 160
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    What is Apple thinking? Apple will have to include sandpaper so we sand our fingers down to use such a small screen :)
  • Reply 60 of 160
    Here's a great article on why Apple doesn't need a 7" iPad. Let Amazon and Android OEM's race to the bottom. Apple doesn't play that game.

http://www.zdnet.com/why-apple-doesnt-need-a-7-inch-ipad-7000000218/