'iPad mini' may give Apple larger market opportunity than current iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
If Apple releases a smaller iPad model with a 7.85-inch display, the less expensive device could eventually outsell the current 9.7-inch model, according to one analyst.

Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets doesn't think a so-called "iPad mini" would cannibalize a significant number of sales of the existing iPad. At worst, he sees the smaller, cheaper iPad affecting 20 percent of sales of the current model, a cannibalization number he called "relatively minor."

But he said the market opportunity for a smaller iPad could eventually be larger than the current model. Given the growth trends in developing countries like China, he sees an "iPad mini" priced between $250 and $300 having a big impact on the market in the coming years.

In addition, he also feels a smaller iPad would find success in the education market, as a more portable device could prove more suitable for younger children, and schools would appreciate the lower price point. He also thinks that some current iPad owners in developed countries might buy a second, smaller model for convenience.

"We would not be surprised if certain customers end up owning both a regular-sized iPad and an 'iPad Mini,' swapping between the two devices for different occasions," White wrote in a note to investors on Thursday. "With the introduction of iCloud, the content on the two iPads can be automatically duplicated and thus easier to swap between Apple devices."

iPad

Even if a smaller iPad were priced as high as $300, White doesn't think Apple would have a problem luring customers away from less expensive $199 7-inch tablets that are already on the market. He assumes that Apple's 7.85-inch iPad would be of considerably higher quality than the competition.

White expects that Apple will unveil its smaller iPad model this fall, as soon as September, alongside the company's next-generation iPhone. This week, both Bloomberg and The Wall Street Journal issued reports (1, 2) claiming that Apple plans to launch a smaller iPad with a screen size between 7 and 8 inches before the end of the year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 149

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If Apple releases a smaller iPad model with a 7.85-inch display, the less expensive device could eventually outsell the current 9.7-inch model, according to one analyst.

'Nuff said.

• Reply 2 of 149
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    "'iPad mini' may give Apple larger market opportunity than current iPad"

Ya think?!
  • Reply 3 of 149
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Apple started, created, and dominate the tablet category..might as well completely own the category. Leave nothing uncovered.
  • Reply 4 of 149
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

'Nuff said.

Yep, especially this one who rarely shows any balls but just parrots what others put out there without any real insight into whether the notion is logical -- based on Apple history, statements and the market.

Apple has publicly said no to a smaller iPad, they have pushed the 10 inch model into schools, etc. Apple has a history of not doing things based on 'everyone else is doing it' or 'folks on the blogs/sites want it'. No 7 inch tablet to date has put a dent in the iPad sales (drops in marketshare percent are cause the total went up).

These are the things an analyst should be noting him/herself. Not ignoring them and then looking like an idiot when there is no new iPad in the Fall. That real tv turns out to be a bigger computer display etc

But White being White, he'll find out in a couple of months hw wrong he was and then spread talk that Apple was going to do it but there was an issue with this or that and was forced to change plans, blah blah
  • Reply 5 of 149
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

'Nuff said.

How does one get such a job? It's as good a job as baseball - hit less than 30% of the time and still get paid 6-7 figures.

• Reply 6 of 149
    xclntgigxclntgig Posts: 16member

Why does nobody mention the iPod Touch in these articles?  Wouldn't it be more likely that Apple releases a slightly larger iPod touch to replace the existing one? Much like the rumored larger iPhone. The Touch has become a nice gaming platform that could benefit form the larger screen realestate.  No way does Apple release an entirelly new tablet size in addition to the iPad and Touch.

• Reply 7 of 149
    solipsismx wrote: »
    "'iPad mini' may give Apple larger market opportunity than current iPad"
    Ya think?!

Or it will crash and burn like all the rest because Steve was right
  • Reply 8 of 149
    wurm5150 wrote: »
    Apple started, created, and dominate the tablet category..might as well completely own the category. Leave nothing uncovered.

Apple already owns the market with the current 'big' iPad. It has the best sales, best marketshare and mindshare of the current tablet hardware. Why split their efforts when they are already winning
  • Reply 9 of 149
    xclntgig wrote: »
    Why does nobody mention the iPod Touch in these articles?  Wouldn't it be more likely that Apple releases a slightly larger iPod touch to replace the existing one?

Well that's too logical so of course it would never happen. Just like that bigger screen, thinner iPhone could be a Touch revamp and Apple has to be making a real tv
  • Reply 10 of 149
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

How does one get such a job? It's as good a job as baseball - hit less than 30% of the time and still get paid 6-7 figures.

Pro: you don't need to train

Con: you don't get sexy girls to dance for you. Or maybe you do?

• Reply 11 of 149
    ojalaojala Posts: 18member

The reason I want iPad Mini is that I don't like carrying the expensive retina-iPad everywhere.  Sometimes I prefer "a disposable" device, something that can get stolen and break and it doesn't feel like end of the world.  In fact I've got a Nexus 7 in order for that purpose now..

I had the 1st gen Macbook Air which was relatively expensive at the time.  It got a ding at the airport, it no longer closed properly and I had it fixed -- needed a new LCD panel as the cover wasn't available separately.  For further travels I got a cheap Acer netbook with OS X installed on it.  It's still working so it has paid for itself quite well -- and I've got a new Macbook Air, too..

• Reply 12 of 149
    charlituna wrote: »
    Or it will crash and burn like all the rest because Steve was right

1) Steve never said that a different size tablet wouldn't work. He said they found the 9.7" 4:3 to be around the ideal size. His comment about sandpaper on the fingers is about a one-size-fits-all UI. A UI half the size would need an idealized UI just as the iPhone has an idealized UI compared to the iPad.

2) Even if they sold one unit to someone who otherwise wouldn't have bought an iPad they have increased their market. It's obvious that a device half the price of the current iPad would increase user interest but so would giving them away or paying people to take them which is the reason for my glib comment.
  • Reply 13 of 149
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ojala View Post

The reason I want iPad Mini is that I don't like carrying the expensive retina-iPad everywhere.  Sometimes I prefer "a disposable" device, something that can get stolen and break and it doesn't feel like end of the world.  In fact I've got a Nexus 7 in order for that purpose now..

I had the 1st gen Macbook Air which was relatively expensive at the time.  It got a ding at the airport, it no longer closed properly and I had it fixed -- needed a new LCD panel as the cover wasn't available separately.  For further travels I got a cheap Acer netbook with OS X installed on it.  It's still working so it has paid for itself quite well -- and I've got a new Macbook Air, too..

I don't consider a $300 device (or even $200) as being disposable. The reason I want a smaller iOS tablet is for size alone. It would just be easier to carry it with me. When I travel between cities I would much rather carry a smaller device in my backpack... but not iPhone small.

• Reply 14 of 149

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Steve never said that a different size tablet wouldn't work. He said they found the 9.7" 4:3 to be around the ideal size. His comment about sandpaper on the fingers is about a one-size-fits-all UI. A UI half the size would need an idealized UI just as the iPhone has an idealized UI compared to the iPad.

2) Even if they sold one unit to someone who otherwise wouldn't have bought an iPad they have increased their market. It's obvious that a device half the price of the current iPad would increase user interest but so would giving them away or paying people to take them which is the reason for my glib comment.

My Wife will always want a larger iPad but I won't buy one for myself until there is a smaller one available. If I bought a new 7.85" iPad tomorrow we would still upgrade my Wife's v.1 next year. So market share would definitely increase if people followed our lead.

• Reply 15 of 149
    I don't consider a $300 device (or even $200) as being disposable. The reason I want a smaller iOS tablet is for size alone. It would just be easier to carry it with me. When I travel between cities I would much rather carry a smaller device in my backpack... but not iPhone small.

I want Apple to go down the Asus PadFone route. I want my 27" Apple Display to contain a MBP that contains a MBA that contains a 10" iPad that contains an 8" iPad that contains an iPhone that contains an iPod Mini that contains an iPod Shuffle. Anything less and Apple is just trying to screw us over.
  • Reply 16 of 149

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I want Apple to go down the Asus PadFone route. I want my 27" Apple Display to contain a MBP that contains a MBA that contains a 10" iPad that contains an 8" iPad that contains an iPhone that contains an iPod Mini that contains an iPod Shuffle. Anything less and Apple is just trying to screw us over.

It would have to include the desktop or it wouldn't interest me.

[ on edit - lol - you changed it as I was writing the above comment! ]

• Reply 17 of 149
    My Wife will always want a larger iPad but I won't buy one for myself until there is a smaller one available. If I bought a new 7.85" iPad tomorrow we would still upgrade my Wife's v.1 next year. So market share would definitely increase if people followed our lead.

Even if it was 8GB and a TN panel? (Note that I think the 8GB is possible but not the TN panel, but including it for reasons mentioned in a previous thread)
  • Reply 18 of 149
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Count me in as a person who owns an iPad 2 and would buy one of these tomorrow at either $200-300. I might even buy two- one for the wife- but likely just one
  • Reply 19 of 149
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member

I don't believe it likely.

There's no reason for Apple to worry about going cheap. Not Apple's style.

No one has shown 7" tablet to be a useful size. Kindle Fire only did well because its dirt cheap, and it flamed out. Nexus is a non-starter, no content, no distribution channel, no customer support, no reason to own.

Apple hates having lots of products and especially hates lots of development platforms. Introducing another platform would be a major effort for developers to support.

If Apple did release a 7" tablet, it would give legitimacy to the Fire and Nexus. It would encourage developers to write good apps for this size screen. Neither of those are in Apple's best interests. Best to ignore that size.

If anything, I think Apple should think about a larger iPad. Allow more content creation, more powerful apps. Bigger touch screen.

• Reply 20 of 149
    crawdad62crawdad62 Posts: 99member
    I just don't see it. It's not much larger than some phones and it's not much smaller than the current iPad. For me at least it doesn't bring anything to the table. Obviously my opinion means nothing because a lot of people sure want this size. I wish they would make a larger iPad.