Apple climbs past Sony to become No. 2 brand in Asia

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I wonder what will happen on the day we ban you. Can you give us a teaser of the other side?

Why would you do that?

I just said that Samsung is a copy cat, the same thing everyone here says? What's wrong with saying that? Everyone says it. 

• Reply 22 of 38
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I wonder what will happen on the day we ban you. Can you give us a teaser of the other side?
    The only volume it speaks is the quantity kind. If anyone else could provide the same number of chips and whatever else, Samsung would be out in the cold.

Just because I can give you 10 tons of shit it doesn't mean you'll take it, does it??
  • Reply 23 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Just because I can give you 10 tons of shit it doesn't mean you'll take it, does it??

Are you claiming we're near our limit here? Because we are pretty close. :lol:
  • Reply 24 of 38
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Are you claiming we're near our limit here? Because we are pretty close. :lol:

Pardon, 10 tons of crap.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    jfanning wrote: »
    What abou the huge amount of features they have added? They more than make up for the one waste of time feature they removed.

No, that's missing the point. If you advertise a feature and someone buys the product because of the advertised feature, then you remove the feature after the sale via firmware update, it can be construed as false advertising. New features don't eliminate that.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    No, that's missing the point. If you advertise a feature and someone buys the product because of the advertised feature, then you remove the feature after the sale via firmware update, it can be construed as false advertising. New features don't eliminate that.

They only took that "feature" away if you installed the corresponding firmware. If you wanted to keep it, then don't install the update. Of all of the PS3s sold, that "feature" was used very little. It was an expensive way of getting a linux box as well.

Did you also cry when the dropped PS2 support (via hardware changes), or SACD support (also via hardware changes)?

As I said, the addition of DTS-HDMA and 3D support (to name just two) are far more beneficial than losing the Other OS "feature"
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Sony: now there's a sad company. I use to have a lot of respect for them but they've been going downhill year after year after year. It's a bummer, too, because they made a lot if of products in areas where it was nice to have a brand you could depend on.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

What abou the huge amount of features they have added? They more than make up for the one waste of time feature they removed.

I'm sorry, but after customers paid over $700 (AUD) for earlier versions of the Playstation 3, only to have Playstation 1 and 2 game backwards-compatibility removed, the ability to use the console as a computer removed (which was initially advertised as a major feature), and the ability to play media removed (due to Cinavia DRM), I'm going to have to disagree with you.

However, I did like that feature where they allowed our un-encrypted credit card details to get uploaded onto the internet.

That was awesome!

There's a very good reason why you and a few friends could take a picnic hamper up onto the top of Sony's stock price on a lazy Sunday afternoon, have a nice lunch at the top, then comfortably hike down to the bottom...

Sony.jpg

• Reply 29 of 38
    gtr wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but after customers paid over $700 (AUD) for earlier versions of the Playstation 3, only to have Playstation 1 and 2 game backwards-compatibility removed, the ability to use the console as a computer removed (which was initially advertised as a major feature), and the ability to play media removed (due to Cinavia DRM), I'm going to have to disagree with you.

Hmm, you seem to be very mistaken.

I have two PS3's, a European launch model (mine was over 600 euro in 2007), and one of the later NZ fat PS3. Of the advertised features the only major (if you can call it major) thing taken away is the Other OS feature. The first one still plays PS1 and PS2 games, the other one still plays PS1 games

If your PS3 came with the ability to play PS2 games (early models), and PS1 games (all models) then you still have that feature.

Also, what media has the Cinavia DRM stopped you from playing? I haven't stuck any issues with media files
    However, I did like that feature where they allowed our un-encrypted credit card details to get uploaded onto the internet.

When I got my first PS3 it was on firmware 1.82, since then it has had a number of major features added, and still is

That was awesome!

yes it was bad, still what does that have to do with a "feature" being removed?
    There's a very good reason why you and a few friends could take a picnic hamper up onto the top of Sony's stock price on a lazy Sunday afternoon, have a nice lunch at the top, then comfortably hike down to the bottom...

Sorry, I don't have shares in Sony, I don't really care about their stock price.
  • Reply 30 of 38

Quote:

Hmm, you seem to be very mistaken.

I have two PS3's, a European launch model (mine was over 600 euro in 2007), and one of the later NZ fat PS3. Of the advertised features the only major (if you can call it major) thing taken away is the Other OS feature. The first one still plays PS1 and PS2 games, the other one still plays PS1 games

If your PS3 came with the ability to play PS2 games (early models), and PS1 games (all models) then you still have that feature.

Also, what media has the Cinavia DRM stopped you from playing? I haven't stuck any issues with media files

yes it was bad, still what does that have to do with a "feature" being removed?

Sorry, I don't have shares in Sony, I don't really care about their stock price.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then.

• Reply 31 of 38
    We'll just have to agree to disagree then.

On which bit?

The bit where you were wrong about PS2/PS1 compatibility?

The bit where you refused to give an example where the DRM has caused you issues?

or the bit where I don't care about Sony's stock price?
  • Reply 32 of 38

No matter what is the top spot brand in Asia today, well it is okay for me. Either its Apple, Sony or Samsung. As long it performs the best.

• Reply 33 of 38

Quote:

On which bit?

The bit where you were wrong 

I don't see it that way.

I can see your trying to make your point on a technicality, but the fact remains that features that were initially available on the PS3 console have been removed (via hardware removal) or software updates and that kind of stuff pisses off consumers.

Who cares if it was hardware?

Who cares if it was software?

The console lost the ability to do stuff it previously could.

And we were forced to do those firmware updates, whenever we inserted the latest 'Game X' and it advised us we needed to do a firmware update in order to play the game.

Consumers remember that kind of stuff when purchase time come alongs in the future.

And how was I wrong by not providing an example of issues of DRM issues?

• Reply 34 of 38
    I don't see it that way.

You claimed they people lost their ability to play PS1 and PS2 games, if their console came with this function, then they still have this function. It has never been taken from models that come with it. You can't see this any other way
    I can see your trying to make your point on a technicality, but the fact remains that features that were initially available on the PS3 console have been removed (via hardware removal) or software updates and that kind of stuff pisses off consumers.

Features? Again, you seem to be mistaken, it is not plural, it is singular . The "Other OS" feature is the only one to be removed. The PS1 and PS2 compatibility still exist on all models that came with them (every single PS3 made in the case of the PS1 games)
    Who cares if it was hardware?

Who cares if it was software?

No one, because these features have never been removed from the consoles that came with them. Now I am saying this a number of times in the hope that you will understand this.
    The console lost the ability to do stuff it previously could.

The "Other OS", yes, and 20 more have been added, significantly better features, are you also upset that Sony added features?
    And we were forced to do those firmware updates, whenever we inserted the latest 'Game X' and it advised us we needed to do a firmware update in order to play the game.

You were forced? Sony came to your house, and made you install this? Can I ask you a question, did you want a PC, or a games console? There are much better, cheaper linux machines around, why do you need this "Other OS" feature?

Since we are on an Apple site, were you also upset when Apple removed features from OS X?
    Consumers remember that kind of stuff when purchase time come alongs in the future.

Again, no one cares about losing "Other OS".

And how was I wrong by not providing an example of issues of DRM issues?

you said this
    and the ability to play media removed (due to Cinavia DRM), I'm going to have to disagree with you.

What media can you no longer play due to the Blu-ray spec having the addition of this DRM added (not Sony). Also, are you also upset regarding the DRM that Apple forces upon you? If no, why not?
  • Reply 35 of 38

Quote:

You claimed they people lost their ability to play PS1 and PS2 games, if their console came with this function, then they still have this function. It has never been taken from models that come with it. You can't see this any other way

But the feature was removed from later consoles versions. Big thank you to Sony for not supporting their own games and requiring customers to have TWO consoles.

The "Other OS" feature is the only one to be removed.

Thank you for agreeing with me.

...and 20 more have been added, significantly better features, are you also upset that Sony added features?

This is your opinion only (and, just for giggles, why don't you provide a list of these twenty awesome features. I mainly remember bloody large security and bug fixes).

You were forced? Sony came to your house, and made you install this?

Yes, I'd call not being able to play the latest games without having to install a firmware update forced.

Can I ask you a question, did you want a PC, or a games console? There are much better, cheaper linux machines around, why do you need this "Other OS" feature?

Personally, I didn't need it. However, many people were especially impressed by the fact that you could buy a games console and get a Linux box as well.

Since we are on an Apple site, were you also upset when Apple removed features from OS X?

An utterly irrelevant topic in this discussion.

Again, no one cares about losing "Other OS".

Once again, your opinion only, and I recall an awful lot of 'no ones' being extremely unhappy when this occurred.

What media can you no longer play due to the Blu-ray spec having the addition of this DRM added (not Sony). Also, are you also upset regarding the DRM that Apple forces upon you? If no, why not?

The media that you could play before the firmware update that removed this feature (you still haven't answered the question on how was I wrong by not providing an example)

• Reply 36 of 38
    But the feature was removed from later consoles versions. Big thank you to Sony for not supporting their own games and requiring customers to have TWO consoles.

Yes, that is what I have said, you have been saying it was removed from existing consoles.
    Thank you for agreeing with me.

Um, I wasn't, you said other features had been removed, but then hadn't

This is your opinion only (and, just for giggles, why don't you provide a list of these twenty awesome features. I mainly remember bloody large security and bug fixes).

24p support
    1080p upscale for DVD
    DLNA support
    AVC High Profile Support
    AVCHD Support
    Dualshock Support
    Remote play functionality greatly increased
    Blu-Ray profile 1.1
    DivX etc support
    Blu-Ray profile 2
    DTS-HD Master Audio support
    Trophy Support
    3D Support for games and movies
    DTS-HDMA output with 3D movies

These are just a few of the new features added, they have all been added since I purchased my PS3, and they are all features I use. There have been numerous other features added, but if you were actually interested you could have looked these up yourself

Yes, I'd call not being able to play the latest games without having to install a firmware update forced.

So what did you want, the games or Linux?
    Personally, I didn't need it. However, many people were especially impressed by the fact that you could buy a games console and get a Linux box as well.

ok, so to answer the previous question, you weren't forced to install it, you wanted to install it.
    An utterly irrelevant topic in this discussion.

No it isn't, you are complaining about one company removing features, when a number of companies (including Apple) do the same and yet that doesn't bother you.
    Once again, your opinion only, and I recall an awful lot of 'no ones' being extremely unhappy when this occurred.

If you take the number of people that were unhappy about this as a percentage of the total PS3 owners, it is basically no one.
    The media that you could play before the firmware update that removed this feature (you still haven't answered the question on how was I wrong by not providing an example)

This DRM only stops pirated media from being played. Can you please provide an example of the pirated media you can no longer play to show this DRM has caused you issues. Has this DRM caused you any issues?
  • Reply 37 of 38

Quote:

Yes, that is what I have said, you have been saying it was removed from existing consoles.

Um, I wasn't, you said other features had been removed, but then hadn't

24p support

1080p upscale for DVD

DLNA support

AVC High Profile Support

AVCHD Support

Dualshock Support

Remote play functionality greatly increased

Blu-Ray profile 1.1

DivX etc support

Blu-Ray profile 2

DTS-HD Master Audio support

Trophy Support

3D Support for games and movies

DTS-HDMA output with 3D movies

These are just a few of the new features added, they have all been added since I purchased my PS3, and they are all features I use. There have been numerous other features added, but if you were actually interested you could have looked these up yourself

So what did you want, the games or Linux?

ok, so to answer the previous question, you weren't forced to install it, you wanted to install it.

No it isn't, you are complaining about one company removing features, when a number of companies (including Apple) do the same and yet that doesn't bother you.

If you take the number of people that were unhappy about this as a percentage of the total PS3 owners, it is basically no one.

This DRM only stops pirated media from being played. Can you please provide an example of the pirated media you can no longer play to show this DRM has caused you issues. Has this DRM caused you any issues?

How about I save us some time and cut to the chase?

What is the purpose of your arguments?

Do you wish me to change my mind and suddenly decide that the Sony PS3 is an actually an awesome console that never lost any features, instead only adding awesomely new ones?

• Reply 38 of 38
    How about I save us some time and cut to the chase?

What is the purpose of your arguments?

Do you wish me to change my mind and suddenly decide that the Sony PS3 is an actually an awesome console that never lost any features, instead only adding awesomely new ones?

It is very simple.

You said this
    I'm sorry, but after customers paid over $700 (AUD) for earlier versions of the Playstation 3, only to have Playstation 1 and 2 game backwards-compatibility removed

This is wrong, Sony has not removed these functions from Playstations that came with them, and they have never removed PS1 compatibility.

No I don't want you to change your mind, I want you to acknowledge that you said something wrong. I don't care what you think of the console in general, just stop claiming things that are blatantly wrong